Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Options
    Would Jones and Louie Watson been at Luton together? - wonder if he already knows him and we might see him at the tip of a midfield diamond on Saturday?
    See post from @killerandflash a few above yours. If Watson still doesn't start then he really must be terrible in training. 
  • Options
    Listening to NTT20 podcast last week when talking about us they said that there isn’t a team in the country more primed for a new manager bounce than us. They seem to believe that with the right manager this team can be a good side. 
    They also sang the praises of Appleton when he was appointed.
    Elek was always going to sing Appleton's praises as Elek is an Oxford fan. We would sing Chris Powell's praises but other fans would shake their heads at having him at their club.
    SCP was good for us and at Leicester, and is presumably doing OK within the England set-up but would any of us claim he was a success elsewhere?
    He's Assistant Manager at Wednesday.
  • Options
    I had not heard him speak before. Look forward to hearing “We look forward to welcoming our fans back to the Valleee” for the first time boyos and girlos (that a thing?)…
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Would Jones and Louie Watson been at Luton together? - wonder if he already knows him and we might see him at the tip of a midfield diamond on Saturday?
    See post from @killerandflash a few above yours. If Watson still doesn't start then he really must be terrible in training. 
    Or...there is someting in the loan agreement that means we pay more if he starts or plays x minutes.  Seems umbelievable that, in some games, he hasn't started or even come on as a sub.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Thought Ali and George spoke really well about the problems we've got and how NJ is the right man to solve them. Interesting to hear the Diamond brought up.... 
    Something similar to the diamond we played under Bowyer could work for us. The split forwards working each channel and providing crosses for the other striker as we did with Taylor and Grant would suit Ladapo and May much better than whatever we were trying to do with them on Saturday. Dobbo or REG in the Bielik role, Coventry in the Cullen role, Camara (I'll be optimistic and say we can get him fit) or Watson in the Aribo role. Who would at the forward point of the diamond n the Jamie Ward/Johnnie Williams role is the big question.
    Tarique Fosu could play the Tarique Fosu role😂 He and Ward rotated it for the first half of that season. 

A serious answer, maybe Tyreece Campbell? He’s played centrally before and in the diamond would have a bit of freedom to drift out wide 

I think we will play 3 at the back anyway, first focus is going to be on being more solid defensively. Maybe next season when we’ve got a proper 10 we might switch to the way Jones really wants to play 
    The day Appleton played Campbell in the middle was the day I knew it wasn’t going to work for him.

If we’re being honest. If we play the diamond, Camara is our best shot there. He just has to not be crocked the entire time. 
    Camara isn’t a 10 either. I think he’s perfectly suited to one of the outside positions in the diamond. 

Louie Watson maybe a decent shout, but I still think it’s more likely we play 3-5-2 because we don’t have that number 10 and we can’t defend. Then maybe switch to a diamond if we are chasing a goal or want to unleash Chuks but still have May and Ladapo/Kanu on at the same time 
    Depends how you use the diamond to be honest. Bowyer used very attacking creative players in the promotion season. Ward, Williams, Fosu ( who was bad there), Marshall (who was worse), Aribo, Reeves, Ajose. Looking back it's actually absurd how much that diamond was rotated around the players. Cullen, Aribo, Reeves, Pratley, they all played different roles in it across the season depending on who was available. In the Championship season though Bowyer started off liking playing Gallagher at the tip of the diamond to win the ball back high up and allowing Williams playing behind him to pounce on the space created by that. You can play an aggressive, ball winning high pressing midfielder at the tip of a diamond as long as you have midfielders behind willing to step into the space that creates, and I suspect Dobson and Bakinson would be used to do that. I think we'll probably go 352 though, at least until Jones has more of the players he wants.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Talal said:
    Or...there is someting in the loan agreement that means we pay more if he starts or plays x minutes.  Seems umbelievable that, in some games, he hasn't started or even come on as a sub.
    Seems a ridiculous way to set up a loan. Can’t see it being that. 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Talal said:
    I can't see why Luton would want that. If anything you'd expect it to be the other way around and we'd have to pay less the more he plays.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Talal said:
    I have heard he isn't the best trainer. But I think he had done enough in games to get another go that is for sure. I think we have missed him, and how he takes the ball on the turn.. He is still learning that game, but I do think there is a key player for us in there, and hope we can sign him on a perm in the summer.
    Wasnt it rumoured last month that Scott wanted to sign him on a permanent deal, but Appleton didn't rate him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 6
    PaddyP17 said:
    Can't wait for Saturday. The atmosphere is always excellent; the trip is local; you'd hope Reading may not have their act together - c'mon Nathan. Show us what you can do with this bunch.

There are talented players there - if anyone (at our level) can make them click, I imagine it's him.

Agree with this, lots of doom and gloom at the moment due to our league position (rightly so), but also plenty of 'this is the worst Charlton squad ever' comments which, perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but in my view are wide of the mark... the likes of May, Coventry, Dobson, Ladapo, Leaburn, Jones, (CBT up until recently) etc etc are of a much better L1 quality than the likes we had in the Powel Abbott era. It's form/confidence/organisation/tactics etc that are the primary issue.

For once, it feels like the right manager could be the fix we need, as opposed to an entire overall of the squad also being required. Fingers crossed Jones is the one...
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Louis Watson is a tidy player who’s comfortable receiving the ball in tight areas and always looking to play forward. However I think he’s far more of an asset up the pitch than defending our box. His tackling / tracking needs improvement, Port Vale away being a case in point, so playing him as a 10 is the way to go and I’d be more than happy to offer him a contract in the summer,
  • Options
    I’ll be interested to see what happens regarding goalkeeping. From what I’ve seen I don’t think any of our GK’s are where we need them to be. I’m hoping we bring in someone over the summer. 
    Been pretty poor on that front since Ben Amos left in 2021
  • Options
    Wonder who he’ll go with for Sat? 
    Isted or AMB? 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Louis Watson is a tidy player who’s comfortable receiving the ball in tight areas and always looking to play forward. However I think he’s far more of as asset up the pitch than defending our box. His tackling / tracking needs improvement, Port Vale away being a case in point, so playing him as a 10 is the way to go and I’d be more than happy to offer him a contract in the summer,
    Very much this. As Appleton sank into the mire with the injuries, the way that he seemed to freeze out a player with a bit o intelligence and good feet was astonishing. There have been various suggestions as to the why, fro the loan agreement to Watson returning to Luton, but he's still here, only came on for the last 10-15 minutes on saturday, and again looked good and comfortable in a game we were losing.
    I have no idea whether I am missing something, or if there are off the field issue's, but he is a player I's like to see us sign in the summer, but as nobody seems to want him on the pitch except in desperation, I doubt that will happen.
  • Options
    Keeper would be a priority for me in the summer , I haven't seen enough of Isted to properly judge but for me AMB has had enough chances. Would obviously prefer it to be an experienced GK for this level on a permanent deal rather than using a loan slot on a GK and being at the mercy of the parent club having an injury crisis or just deciding halfway through the season they want them playing a higher level like James Beadle this season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isted has been number 1 in a side that nearly got promoted last season
  • Options
    Listening to NTT20 podcast last week when talking about us they said that there isn’t a team in the country more primed for a new manager bounce than us. They seem to believe that with the right manager this team can be a good side. 
    They also sang the praises of Appleton when he was appointed.
    Elek was always going to sing Appleton's praises as Elek is an Oxford fan. We would sing Chris Powell's praises but other fans would shake their heads at having him at their club.
    SCP was good for us and at Leicester, and is presumably doing OK within the England set-up but would any of us claim he was a success elsewhere?
    He's Assistant Manager at Wednesday.
    I rest my case. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Isted has been number 1 in a side that nearly got promoted last season
    Agreed Isted is an excellent keeper .. and should be number one for a few years to come 
  • Options
    I think even the staunchest AMB supporter would agree he should come out of the team. Not sure Isted is the answer long term but he has to start Saturday. 
  • Options
    edited February 6
    As things stand the goalkeepers jersey is up for grabs but Isted has only just got over his injury, is not that big a lad and a bit of a journeyman like Ward although he’s much taller at 6’5” and the most experienced.

However Managers are normally reluctant to drop a keeper which does their confidence even more harm when they’re going through a rough patch which is where AMB is at the moment whilst still learning on the job in my opinion.

NJ will no doubt get the low down from the back room staff, Dobson and the CBs and a change could be afoot but I don’t think we’ll see that this Saturday unless either of the other two have been playing like Dino Zoff in training.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    As things stand the goalkeepers jersey is up for grabs but Isted has only just got over his injury, is not that big a lad and a bit of a journeyman like Walker although he’s much taller at 6’6” and the most experienced.

However Managers are normally reluctant to drop a keeper which does their confidence even more harm when they’re going through a rough patch which is where AMB is at the moment whilst still learning on the job in my opinion.

NJ will no doubt get the low down from the back room staff, Dobson and the CBs and a change could be afoot but I don’t think we’ll see that this Saturday unless either of the other two have been playing like Dino Zoff in training.
    Good post, however, the attempt to allow a keeper to regain confidence could cost a lot of points .. keeper is THE most important position on the field, bad keeper=nervous/anxious team, especially the defence, good keeper=confidence through the team and better performance right through the side .. IF a keeper is having a bad time, toughness is required and assuming there is a decent alternative to come in, he MUST be replaced before too much harm is done .. in our case give Walker a go, as said he's a big and experienced unit and our current first choice duo are i m o just not up to it .. even better as I said days ago somewhere on here, go all out looking for an experienced and able permanent replacement a s a p
  • Options
    I might be doing AMB a disservice but I suspect that any/all of our various defensive combinations would be considerably less porous and error-prone with a more commanding/decisive GK behind them. 

If the CBs are able to focus more on what's happening in front of them and less worried about what's happening behind then they would be much more organised I think.

Maybe Jones will be able to restore confidence to AMB or maybe he will have to reboot completely with Isted in goal but sorting that side of things must be a priority.