Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I am a bit mystified by the whole drop AMB stuff. Apart from the cock up at Blackpool which he got away with and the dodgy punch against Derby, I cant think of any glaring errors and he was absolutely fantastic at Port Vale - who had 34 !!! shots on goal. 
    When I've seen Isted , he actually looks awful to me ? - he seemed to let everything in ! 
    Isted's distribution is the reason I'd like him to play. AMB may not have thrown many into his own net but considering how much of our play goes through him, he's not great at it
    We'd all love a keeper with stunning distribution but at this stage I think we need one that will keep it out of the net the best and inspire the most confidence. That may well be Isted.  
  • Options
    Louie Watson is our best midfielder and it’s ridiculous that he isn’t starting games. 
  • Options
    I had not heard him speak before. Look forward to hearing “We look forward to welcoming our fans back to the Valleee” for the first time boyos and girlos (that a thing?)…

How green is my Valleee ?
  • Options
    We do this alot, when i player is out injured or not playing they seems to become far better players than they were when they played.

I personally think AMB is a better all round goalkeeper than Isted currently but he clearly has some deficiencies and a lack of confidence currently. I don't see either of them being good enough next season if we are serious about promotion. 
  • Options
    edited February 6
    We do this alot, when i player is out injured or not playing they seems to become far better players than they were when they played.

I personally think AMB is a better all round goalkeeper than Isted currently but he clearly has some deficiencies and a lack of confidence currently. I don't see either of them being good enough next season if we are serious about promotion. 
    Is anyone, apart from the WUM, saying Isted is great? AMB's confidence has looked shot for a while and players are laying into him almost every game. Just makes sense to me that you'd give him a break and Isted another go. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Thought Ali and George spoke really well about the problems we've got and how NJ is the right man to solve them. Interesting to hear the Diamond brought up.... 
    Something similar to the diamond we played under Bowyer could work for us. The split forwards working each channel and providing crosses for the other striker as we did with Taylor and Grant would suit Ladapo and May much better than whatever we were trying to do with them on Saturday. Dobbo or REG in the Bielik role, Coventry in the Cullen role, Camara (I'll be optimistic and say we can get him fit) or Watson in the Aribo role. Who would at the forward point of the diamond n the Jamie Ward/Johnnie Williams role is the big question.
    Tarique Fosu could play the Tarique Fosu role😂 He and Ward rotated it for the first half of that season. 

A serious answer, maybe Tyreece Campbell? He’s played centrally before and in the diamond would have a bit of freedom to drift out wide 

I think we will play 3 at the back anyway, first focus is going to be on being more solid defensively. Maybe next season when we’ve got a proper 10 we might switch to the way Jones really wants to play 
    The day Appleton played Campbell in the middle was the day I knew it wasn’t going to work for him.

If we’re being honest. If we play the diamond, Camara is our best shot there. He just has to not be crocked the entire time. 
    Camara isn’t a 10 either. I think he’s perfectly suited to one of the outside positions in the diamond. 

Louie Watson maybe a decent shout, but I still think it’s more likely we play 3-5-2 because we don’t have that number 10 and we can’t defend. Then maybe switch to a diamond if we are chasing a goal or want to unleash Chuks but still have May and Ladapo/Kanu on at the same time 
    Depends how you use the diamond to be honest. Bowyer used very attacking creative players in the promotion season. Ward, Williams, Fosu ( who was bad there), Marshall (who was worse), Aribo, Reeves, Ajose. Looking back it's actually absurd how much that diamond was rotated around the players. Cullen, Aribo, Reeves, Pratley, they all played different roles in it across the season depending on who was available. In the Championship season though Bowyer started off liking playing Gallagher at the tip of the diamond to win the ball back high up and allowing Williams playing behind him to pounce on the space created by that. You can play an aggressive, ball winning high pressing midfielder at the tip of a diamond as long as you have midfielders behind willing to step into the space that creates, and I suspect Dobson and Bakinson would be used to do that. I think we'll probably go 352 though, at least until Jones has more of the players he wants.
    I’ve been thinking the same, it wouldn’t surprise me if Jones tries something we don’t expect like Anderson at the tip of the diamond. What he can’t do is carry on with the same ideas MA stuck with.

Getting us playing with more energy, pressing higher etc could make a big difference. We’ve got to find a way to be effective in attack without a target man or natural number 10, pressing more aggressively could be part of that. To do that we need the right mix of players.

I can also see Ramsay starting soon if not on Saturday to add pace and drive to the team which we’ve lost with CBT going.
  • Options
    I think it's fair to say that most of us appear "worried" about the goalkeeper situation. As I commented earlier in my opinion AMB needs a great amount of work on various aspects of his game, I would just like to ask WTF does Henderson do on a daily basis ?
  • Options
    Willing to give Isted another chance if/when he plays. But christ he was shit at the start of the season! Don't recall ever seeing him make a save until the game where he got injured.
    From what I recall he was rubbish I was praying he got replaced. Sadly the same has applied to most of the match day players that have had game time this season, which is why we are in 19th spot in February. With very few exceptions (we know who we trust), this team has not helped the keepers and vice versa. A seed change is require and hopefully NJ can plant one on someone promptly if they don't follow his plans. 
  • Options
    Have any of the ITK's heard anything about NJ's back up team ? Can't imagine he's come here to just have Fleming hoisted upon him ?
  • Options
    Has anyone heard from Jones yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is of course one aspect which could give Isted the advantage / disadvantage compared to Maynard-Brewer.

Nathan Jones signed him for Luton in the first place... Didnt play him much though...
    He came through the youth set up I believe 
  • Options
    I think it's fair to say that most of us appear "worried" about the goalkeeper situation. As I commented earlier in my opinion AMB needs a great amount of work on various aspects of his game, I would just like to ask WTF does Henderson do on a daily basis ?
    He was looking after Appleton. 
  • Options
    Talal said:

Is anyone, apart from the WUM, saying Isted is great? AMB's confidence has looked shot for a while and players are laying into him almost every game. Just makes sense to me that you'd give him a break and Isted another go. 
    Yes this is how I see it. Isted might not be the answer, but AMB definitely is not (at present.) More importantly the defense doesn't seem to have any faith or trust in him.

It's very hard to think that Isted can do any worse at this point, sadly.
  • Options
    Got some last minute tickets for Reading. Buzzing for it now!
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Where has this myth that Maynard brewer is a "great shot stopper" come from? I see it all the time. He has the 17th best save % in the whole league at 66.1%. The top 10 are all over 70% and can probably actually communicate with their defence a whole lot better.

And for the hardcore stat fans he is also 21st in the list of goals prevented with -3.8 goals prevented which basically means he has conceded 3.8 more goals than would be expected against the shots he has faced.

He needs an upgrade because right now he is one of the worst keepers in the league. Isted might not be the answer but he needs to come back in.
    He makes a fair few eye catching saves and has a lot of shots at him (because we are shit), but statistically he isn’t a very good shot stopper and that’s still the best part of his game so it doesn’t say much for his overall game 

Dillon Phillips was a great shot stopper that wasn’t great at everything else. AMB is an average (at best) shot stopper that is poor at everything else 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Talal said:

Yes this is how I see it. Isted might not be the answer, but AMB definitely is not (at present.) More importantly the defense doesn't seem to have any faith or trust in him.

It's very hard to think that Isted can do any worse at this point, sadly.
    If Maynard Brewer actually opened his gob / came off his line, maybe they would have more confidence in him - the amount of times the defenders, particularly Hector, have a go at him is ridiculous
  • Options
    AMB is a keeper for a team in a relegation dog fight. No where near good enough for where we want or need to be as a team.
  • Options
    Think I’d stick with AMB. Isted looks like he’s got a howler in him. He’s a little goalie and I always think he’ll get bullied. We defo don’t need any meek performances on Sat. Plus he’s just come back from a long lay off. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Has anyone heard from Jones yet?
    Not bothered in the slightest that we haven’t had the usual red light lit interview about how they’re gonna give everything to turn around a massive club.
    I think the club and comms team have read the room.
    Just get on with the job. Talk has become very cheap. 
    Completely agree. Actually quite like that we haven't heard anything, gives the impression that full focus is on Saturday's game. 
  • Options
    Port Vale had 29 shots, 12 on a target. As much as AMB made some decent reflex saves that game, they are more in line with what I expect a keeper to be able to deal with. It’s all the other parts of his game that worry me - he’s quiet, his distribution is sooooo slow, he is not particularly great at coming for crosses, he has a tendency to punch the ball back into danger areas. 

To be honest I’m not sure Istead is the answer, though I think he is certainly worth a go. At this level I’d want to have a big physical beast who can command his area
    All i read there was bring back Dillon  :D i'd take him just for another Phillips inspired Twist and shout at the end of next season alone. I think AMB's biggest default problem is his lack of communication. His distribution is also very slow but for me its the talking, or lack of a bollocking for his defenders when they do make mistakes. I sit not to far from the goal and i've never heard him. That for me is a massive factor of any good defensive unit. Isted isnt the answer, just re-watch the games he started and the goals conceded. Not dissimilar to AMB. 
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Intrigued by the X post a couple of pages back stating that Curtis is now "Assistant Head Coach"...assistant to who, or is he now Assistant Manager (Head Coach) to Jones, wording is just a big vague...or it could be me of course...🤷‍♂️

• Options
    edited February 6
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Port Vale had 29 shots, 12 on a target. As much as AMB made some decent reflex saves that game, they are more in line with what I expect a keeper to be able to deal with. It’s all the other parts of his game that worry me - he’s quiet, his distribution is sooooo slow, he is not particularly great at coming for crosses, he has a tendency to punch the ball back into danger areas. 

To be honest I’m not sure Istead is the answer, though I think he is certainly worth a go. At this level I’d want to have a big physical beast who can command his area
    All i read there was bring back Dillon  :D i'd take him just for another Phillips inspired Twist and shout at the end of next season alone. I think AMB's biggest default problem is his lack of communication. His distribution is also very slow but for me its the talking, or lack of a bollocking for his defenders when they do make mistakes. I sit not to far from the goal and i've never heard him. That for me is a massive factor of any good defensive unit. Isted isnt the answer, just re-watch the games he started and the goals conceded. Not dissimilar to AMB. 
    I agree that Isted is worth a go, after the ridiculous punch out and the slap/flap where AMB went to punch it out, both seen from the other end in the second half on Saturday. Isted was rated at Luton and with a proper defence, he might just be the answer.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    You had the beating of Phillips though @NabySarr at Wembley from 20 yards, he couldn’t stop that one! 😉
    Still blame Sarr for the goal.  A schoolboy error to pass towards the goal.