Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Options
    Gillis said:
    Having read some of the thoughts of Luton fans and people that have worked with him before, it sounds like Jones' success at Luton came from building a culture across the entire club and getting everyone to buy into it. It seems like that buy in is essential, because he demands a lot from his players. Where he's been less successful at Stoke and Southampton, it would appear he hasn't been given time to develop the culture he wants, and has struggled to get the buy-in from a dressing room of Premier League or ex-Premier League players.

To me, someone who will establish a strong culture at the club and demand total commitment from the players is exactly what we need. It's also exactly what we've seen whenever this club has been successful. I'm also encouraged by the fact that he's seen what Charlton looks like when it's succeeding, because I'm not sure there are many people left around the place that can say that now.

My concerns are as follows:

1) Will he be given the time he needs to build the foundations and establish the culture he wants?
        2) Does he have the energy and desire (and perhaps humility) to start all over again after bruising experiences at Stoke and Southampton? When he started the process at Luton, he was in his first job in management, with all of the enthusiasm and determination to succeed that brings.
        3) Will Andy Scott be content to let Jones develop his own culture at the club and bring in his own people (staff and players)? I wonder if Scott might see that as treading on his toes, or even a threat to his own position (I don't necessarily agree with the view of many on here that everything is Scott's fault and he needs to go, but I see tension between the way Scott has described his own role and the way Jones seems to like to operate).

Lots of potential upside, lots of potential potential problems. Whichever way it goes, it's definitely the most exciting appointment we've had in a long time.

From what I’ve read about Jones, he’s definitely not a shrinking violet. He’ll say it like it is and will find other ways to make his point if necessary. We don’t know for sure but it does sound like to me at least that Brener and Friedman have been hands on with this appointment. I’m guessing here of course but I think that they must have taken councel outside of the CAFC SMT and why wouldn’t they. It’s not taken long for things to go even more pear shaped than they were when they acquired the club. I doubt either Brener or Friedman would know Nathan Jones from Adam so they’ve definitely taken someone’s advice and because of Scott’s previous and probably expensive disasters with Holden and Appleton I think in this case he’s been sidelined to some extent. Compared to the previous two’s salary, Jones would have cost more. Probably quite a lot more and on that basis you’d expect him to demand to call the shots. I think the two Americans understand that and have given Jones more control. I have a feeling we might see Lenegans name cropping up more than it has. His role is unclear for me but I have no doubt he’s now more involved and perhaps the trio of Methven, Scott and Rodwell are under his scrutiny. Next three months could I feel see a change in the way we’re run. Won’t be at all surprised to see Scott or Rodwell depart. I’m also thinking that Jones now has a direct line to the money men should he feel the need. We need to dig into Lenegan because I think he’s going to become a lot more visible.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We've lost a LOT of games by one goal. It isn't that we're shit ya pants terrible, it's that something is just not happening for these players. We're not far from being quite good. Hopefully Jones is the difference

He's certainly been the difference in two of the last 3 games. 

Oh, I see, you meant Nathan...

Agree with your point, though.
  • Options
    I may have missed it, but is Paul Hart joining as one of his coaches? I bloody hope so! I also hope they keep Curtis on as well.
    @Redmidland as Henners said nothing on the back room staff as yet however this extract from a respected Luton Town fan’s view in Chicago Addicks blog may be of interest;

“With regards to the set up and backroom staff he brings with him, this is varied in his two spells at Luton. Paul Hart was undoubtably very influential during Jones’s first stint at Luton. However, citing the long journey from his home on the south coast, Hart chose to part ways with Jones during his second spell at Luton. At this point ex Luton town player Alan Sheehan and former Nottingham Forest recruit Chris Cohen came in as his main backroom staff. With Sheehan recently joining Luke Williams at Swansea in a coaching role and Chris Cohen doing the same at Lincoln it remains to be seen who Jones would choose as his back room staff.”
  • Options
    Perhaps we should be more focused on where we might be in five years time that the constant fear of relegation in a few month's time. It destroys confidence. 

Even if we go down, it can hardly be blamed on Nathan Jones. 

Who knows, perhaps one season of humiliation at the lowest level might drill some humility into us. 

Either way I say let's back the fella come what may. Enough chaos for one club, for one lifetime. 
    I think this is absolutely spot on. 
  • Options
    I just hope we stay up. Jones sounds a strange character based on the interviews I've heard.

I'm quite amazed at the mess we're in.

We will stay up no question we are not in a mess now we finally have good owners but their  trying to work their way through the mess of the last 18 years … that’s not going to be sorted in 6 months 
    Most reliable RonnieMoore Post
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would be interested in the points lost by goals after 85 minutes.
  • Options
    I would be interested in the points lost by goals after 85 minutes.
    I believe @Callumcafc posted something on this on a different thread, at least on the amount of goals conceded late on. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Completely ignoring his Southampton time. They failed to win their last six games at the end of the 21/22 season under Hasenhuttl. Jones came in during the November after he was sacked after winning twice in nine games. They were easily the worst team in the league regardless of manager.

Jones actually went unbeaten in his first three league games there.They won two league games in sixteen after he left. 
    Was going to say that when they got rid of him, the guy who came in after him (Ruben Selles) did even worse, an 11% win rate. So this pretty much shows it wasn't on the manager, their team was just abysmal.

Sheffield United this season are another example. Chris Wilder slightly improved Sheffield United when he took over, but they've reverted to being well beaten 
    But Sheffield United are proper proper shit, and are going down regardless. We're not proper proper shit, we're just meh, but that should be mid table league 1, not shit ya pants stuff that happening now 
    The table does not lie.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Completely ignoring his Southampton time. They failed to win their last six games at the end of the 21/22 season under Hasenhuttl. Jones came in during the November after he was sacked after winning twice in nine games. They were easily the worst team in the league regardless of manager.

Jones actually went unbeaten in his first three league games there.They won two league games in sixteen after he left. 
    Was going to say that when they got rid of him, the guy who came in after him (Ruben Selles) did even worse, an 11% win rate. So this pretty much shows it wasn't on the manager, their team was just abysmal.

Sheffield United this season are another example. Chris Wilder slightly improved Sheffield United when he took over, but they've reverted to being well beaten 
    But Sheffield United are proper proper shit, and are going down regardless. We're not proper proper shit, we're just meh, but that should be mid table league 1, not shit ya pants stuff that happening now 
    The table does not lie.
    It doesn’t but we saw this team is capable of picking up results. Whether they’re a bottom 4 or mid table side we shouldn’t be going over 2 months without a win.

Jones needs to improve us defensively and find a way we can be effective going forward without a target man.
  • Options
    I just hope we stay up. Jones sounds a strange character based on the interviews I've heard.

I'm quite amazed at the mess we're in.

We will stay up no question we are not in a mess now we finally have good owners but their  trying to work their way through the mess of the last 18 years … that’s not going to be sorted in 6 months 
    Another episode of Jackanory.
  • Options
    We have had two Welsh Captains:
    Mark Aizlewood and Don WELSH 😀
    Don't forget Leighton Phillips.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

The table does not lie.
    It doesn't, but the comparison with Sheffield United is just nonsense, we haven't been done 8 and 5 at home this season, and look completely useless 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We've lost a LOT of games by one goal. It isn't that we're shit ya pants terrible, it's that something is just not happening for these players. We're not far from being quite good. Hopefully Jones is the difference
    It is (as with last year) down to our defence.

Last year we scored 70 (6th highest in the divison) but conceded 66 (joint 9th worst)
    This year we've scored 43 (8th highest) but conceded 46 (3rd worst).

So it's not hard to see where we need to improve. Improve the defence and we'll be fine.
    Improve the whole team and we’ll be more than fine.  A poor team with a good back four will still concede goals. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    And? 
  • Options
    Richard J said:

1969-1971 Graham Moore played for Cafc.
    The Welsh international surely captained the side ?
    Could be quite a few 🤔
  • Options
    I'm so hoping that NJ does come in and install a new culture, because whatever we have now is undeniably poor. I know some people (outside our fanbase) get tired of the references to Cutbs, but the last few years of watching him and his former players on the TV, I feel I know why he was successful. He built over time a club that was all pulling in the same direction. What is evident, is his players loved working for him (very hard) , and in turn the club.

To hear Browny speak, it is no nonsense, "you either ran through walls for the team, or you didn't play" was the minimum expected. Talent was a bonus.

I don't think most our players have really done their jobs very well for a long time, and there has been little accountability. If there was then they would get dropped.

I reckon NJ with a fresh nose will smell the bullshit and have a proper clear out, thus we will find out who they all are.

A rebuild is very much still on. 

I'm feeling optimistic which is a rarity. 

Please tear them a new one NJ. 
  • Options
    edited February 5
    Richard J said:

1969-1971 Graham Moore played for Cafc.
    The Welsh international surely captained the side ?
    Could be quite a few 🤔
    I mentioned Moore just below your previous post, Moore defo was the captain of quite a useful team, and he came to us in 1967, left in '71
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I wasn't talking about our squad, I was comparing Sheffield United this season, to Southampton last season. Jones failed last season at Soton because the team wasn't good enough, ditto Wilder at Sheffield this season.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Thanks for sharing this, a big help for someone like me who does not really study non Charlton managers tactics and style of play. 
  • Options
    2 very good articles from Chicago Addick, well worth a read!
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:
    Give him time even if it means a few defeats. Alex Ferguson was a disaster at MU for half his first season, got rid of the deadwood, and then nailed it. A culture change is necessary here.
    Fergie took 5 years to win a trophy, no pressure Nath!