Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Really hope Nathan brings back some optimism, stability and works the squad correctly. We are spending a lot more than most squads in our division. My take is that for whatever reason, Dean was shafted with a lack of quality in key areas of the pitch at the start of the season, Appleton was never going to work despite some improvements, we should now have more in the tank if organised and hard working enough. Good luck Nathan!
  • Better appointment than the last few - Good luck NJ.

I will support the club and hope they [and we] give him time.

COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• msomerton said:
    I wish supporters would not get carried away with new manager signing just because he has Charlton history. 
    Yes he did well with Luton but other wise not been a great success. Proof of the pudding and all that remember. I will make my judgement a month of or two from now.
    Of course. As will we all. 
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    Not enthused by this appointment as NJ has had two poor appointments more recently than Luton but pleased that the club have made a higher level appointment. I'm even less enthused by the actions of our SMT who by delaying the termination of Appleton have put us in danger of relegation that even the messiah that is Jones might not avoid.

However I will give him and his team my full support and hope that my unenthusiastic post is wrong.
    Tbf Lancs, he went back to Luton between Stoke and Southampton, and won manager of the season in the championship. 

Which tells me he's more than capable, he just ran before he could get up to a light jogging speed, again. 

Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake three times with us
    Just on your last line, both times he left Luton the next manager had success in part because he’d built a solid foundation. If he does that with us and gets poached it will be annoying but at least we’d be in a better position 
    That is my logic, he laid the foundations for two different managers to achieve promotions which he may well have earned himself. 

We have to just hope he can replicate it at Charlton, I think some Luton fan put it quite well that I saw earlier ; 

Plus imagine how good it would be to have a manager so good he gets poached! 
    Lee Bowyer exists! 
  • edited February 4
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    Not enthused by this appointment as NJ has had two poor appointments more recently than Luton but pleased that the club have made a higher level appointment. I'm even less enthused by the actions of our SMT who by delaying the termination of Appleton have put us in danger of relegation that even the messiah that is Jones might not avoid.

However I will give him and his team my full support and hope that my unenthusiastic post is wrong.
    Tbf Lancs, he went back to Luton between Stoke and Southampton, and won manager of the season in the championship. 

Which tells me he's more than capable, he just ran before he could get up to a light jogging speed, again. 

Just on your last line, both times he left Luton the next manager had success in part because he’d built a solid foundation. If he does that with us and gets poached it will be annoying but at least we’d be in a better position 
    That is my logic, he laid the foundations for two different managers to achieve promotions which he may well have earned himself. 

We have to just hope he can replicate it at Charlton, I think some Luton fan put it quite well that I saw earlier ; 

Lee Bowyer exists! 
    We’ve had so many managers since I totally forgot that happened! Although things were on a decline here (largely through things out of his control) so he jumped a bit before he was pushed. If it wasn’t for being an ex Brum player not sure he’d have got the job
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

Most of ours get poached by the JobCentre...
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

Lee Bowyer exits! 

• Very pleased with Jones, was doubtful we'd get someone like him when first mentioned but once he was confirmed to be in the running was my pick. 

Knows how he wants his players to play and how to get them playing it and  win games and accolades. 

But, 

It won't happen over night, more than happy to give him time as a successful Jones can really bring this club back from the doldrums.  Easy job 😅
  • Sponsored links:

• Very pleased with Jones, was doubtful we'd get someone like him when first mentioned but once he was confirmed to be in the running was my pick. 

Knows how he wants his players to play and how to get them playing it and  win games and accolades. 

But, 

It won't happen over night, more than happy to give him time as a successful Jones can really bring this club back from the doldrums.  Easy job 😅

Agree with the sentiment that the new manager needs time ….. 

Unfortunately it kind of does have to happen overnight. It still seems to have passed over some heads that we are on the verge of a catastrophic relegation that would be lethal for our long term health. Stay up, and absolutely he should get time (I would take mid table mediocrity next season as a sign of progress).

But to say it doesn’t have to happen overnight is not really accurate.

Because it does.

This month is a shocker for fixtures, but March is awful as well with four away games.
    Fingers crossed that Jones can perform a miracle.
  • TELTEL
    edited February 4
    Neither excited or disappointed about this new guy. 

Let's just see how things go.

The squad looks very disjointed at the moment. Let's see if Jones can turn them into a team. 
  • Completely ignoring his Southampton time. They failed to win their last six games at the end of the 21/22 season under Hasenhuttl. Jones came in during the November after he was sacked after winning twice in nine games. They were easily the worst team in the league regardless of manager.

Jones actually went unbeaten in his first three league games there.They won two league games in sixteen after he left. 
    Only manager to stop city winning the quadruple last year too….(pointed out by my United friend) 
  • Redskin said:
    He smashed up and set fire to a ping- pong table because he thought it was proving to be be devisive among his Luton squad.
    That's the man for us, no more vanilla, v-neck jumper wearing apologists for their own shortcomings.
    We will be  'living in interesting times' for sure, but I can't wait...

Matthew Syed the renowned Journalist and ex elite Sportsman isn't a fan of Nathan Jones 🤔
    I think I’ll ignore the opinion of anyone on GB News. 
    I guess that you prefer an echo chamber?
  • edited February 5
    Very pleased with Jones, was doubtful we'd get someone like him when first mentioned but once he was confirmed to be in the running was my pick. 

But, 

Agree with the sentiment that the new manager needs time ….. 

Unfortunately it kind of does have to happen overnight. It still seems to have passed over some heads that we are on the verge of a catastrophic relegation that would be lethal for our long term health. Stay up, and absolutely he should get time (I would take mid table mediocrity next season as a sign of progress).

But to say it doesn’t have to happen overnight is not really accurate.

Because it does.

Im assuming Jones has enough about him to get us away from the relegation spots by

1. Not being a career no.2 that talks nice
    2. Not being Appleton

I'm fully aware of our position, I'm also fully aware how fucking useless and clueless the team management has been this season. 

What I'm not expecting is for us to turn into some sort of footballing orchestra overnight. 

I'm aiming this at being further down the line, when people were moaning why isnt Adkins playing like his saints team even after explaining why we were still lumping it stockly. Or why is garner ball not working in league one with league 2 players.

• Completely ignoring his Southampton time. They failed to win their last six games at the end of the 21/22 season under Hasenhuttl. Jones came in during the November after he was sacked after winning twice in nine games. They were easily the worst team in the league regardless of manager.

Jones actually went unbeaten in his first three league games there.They won two league games in sixteen after he left. 
    Was going to say that when they got rid of him, the guy who came in after him (Ruben Selles) did even worse, an 11% win rate. So this pretty much shows it wasn't on the manager, their team was just abysmal.

Jones did get one notable scalp though. His win in the Carabao cup prevented Man City from going on to win a potential quadruple.