Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• RC_CAFC said:
    I'm really impatient for Saturday now!
    Six more sleeps ! 
  • This appointment is better than we could have expected and the other candidates who were in the running were better than we expected especially when you look at the candidates last time and Appleton turned out as the outstanding candidate 
    The owners have definitely upped there game to attract better candidates and if things do not change for the better now we need to look at the players and not the manager being at fault how many managers can we blame. 
    Perhaps they have I increased the salary so can know get better applicants 
  • PopIcon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Nathan Jones’s priorities:
    1. To avoid relegation to L2
    2. To keep us in L1 this season
    3. To prevent us from being relegated to L2
    4. To keep us out of the bottom 4 in L1
    5. Etc. 
    considering none of them are on the table then he passed already … 

his main objective  this season to get top half finish .. 

Are you saying relegation isn't possible? Have you seen the league table?
    If relegation is on so are the Play offs then , still enough points to play for .. but no relegation not an issue when you look at our performance yesterday and second half at Blackpool there’s  a good team there .. hopefully Jones is the man to make it click I think he may be lucky with key players Camara and Aneke set to return as well 

I'm a glass half full person but we are in free fall.

im confident that we will stay up but we are making it hard on ourselves. I saw enough yesterday to hope that we will be okay but we are currently in a fight!!
  • JamesSeed said:
    Watching Arsenal v Liverpool maybe we should cut our centre backs some slack. Two of the best CBs in the world screwing up 😂
    Watching that as well - shocking defending - have they never heard of Row Z 🙄
  • Sorry, but I don't buy this LMA thing. They are just a "Trade Union" for managers. I doubt they get much say in agreeing a contract. Yes, they may give advice to their "members" as to the content of it & whether any special clauses should be added or omitted, but in the final analysis if Jones is happy with what we are offering he just needs to sign it.

Seems like there must be some unusual / contentious clauses in it for the LMA to be "making alterations" to it. Probably is a relegation clause or a "freedom to move if a better offer comes along" option being inserted. For his benefit I would say, not ours. 
    So you think it is advisable for members/clients to just sign a contact before they receive advice?
  • Posting without looking at other comments. 

Might be reading too much into it, but I find it interesting that quotes about Jones appointment came from Rodwell, not Andy Scott.

Think Scott's days could be numbered 
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:
    I think this is the most excited I have seen our fan base be over a managerial appointment to save us from relegation since Pardew was appointed 
    I know what you're saying, but what's your opinion of the appointment @JohnnyH2?
  • Happy with the appointment, it might not work out but no appointment is a guarantee anyway 

• March looks rough with the away games but if Nathan can't get us to beat 3 of the bottom 4 clubs then we deserve to get relegated. 

My concern is more will he stay with us if he can't perform a miracle and we get relegated? Plus and more importantly will the main money men in the States decide to bail out as well? 

Because we're  Charlton this could be a distinct possibility. 

I really hope it doesn't get to that situation but this season as many lifers have said has been coming for over 10 years at least.

The decline started 18 years  ago under Richard Murray … the owners know this is going to take time to get right not just on the pitch but off it as well there not been a stable structure at the club for many many years …. we won’t go down .. but I dint think it would make much diff if we did to be honest cause we would still be rebuilding the squad and club and you can easy go through league one if we get that right ..
     but that’s not an issue we will stay in league one our performance at Blackpool second  half and yesterday are not of a side going down .. we need one of two back and we need to find that system that’s sorts the players we have .  Jones likes diamond and 433 so will be interesting what he goes with next Saturday 
    Lets blame someone 18 years ago, eh ? Good deflection from an abysmal SMT strategy and poor coach and player set up for this season. Ever thought of going into politics ? Or PR maybe ? 
  • Shows genuine ambition if nothing else, something of a "go big or go bust" appointment, certainly I'm hopeful of the former.
    We needed someone to come in whose going to tear the whole mess down and start building from scratch and on paper that's exactly what we've got.

Now let's see what happens on the pitch.
  • thenewbie said:
    Shows genuine ambition if nothing else, something of a "go big or go bust" appointment, certainly I'm hopeful of the former.
    We needed someone to come in whose going to tear the whole mess down and start building from scratch and on paper that's exactly what we've got.

Now let's see what happens on the pitch.
    You’re ignoring of course that you can go big and go bust!
  • Chizz said:
    No one at a press conference is going to say..."he's crap, has no idea about tactics & his new club are fools for employing him" are they.

• Sponsored links:

• It is an exciting appointment, thrown in at the deep end as we really cannot afford as a club to be relegated so the idea of being too patient I cannot really agree with.

I hate being in League 1, the idea of being in the fourth tier would be unbearable, although of course I would still be at the majority of matches. 
  • Much better appointment than Appleton or Holden.....or anyone since Jacko & Bows.

However, whether he can get a tune out of our disjointed & unfit squad is another matter. I do hope he IS in touch with God as we need a prayer & divine intervention to suddenly get some oomph up front & a defence tighter than a ducks arse. 

Good luck to you mate...you'll need it  !!
    Much as it pains me to agree with you (and believe you me, I’m shivering and shaking having to type this out) - but I agree with you 🤮
  • edited February 4
    ValleyBen said:
    It is an exciting appointment, thrown in at the deep end as we really cannot afford as a club to be relegated so the idea of being too patient I cannot really agree with.

I hate being in League 1, the idea of being in the fourth tier would be unbearable, although of course I would still be at the majority of matches. 
    I personally can’t get the maths to add up in league 2…… I think we would struggle to exist day to day with a 30k seater stadium to maintain, training ground, wages, squad size. 

That just won’t work and I think the current investors were well aware Charlton in league 2 won’t work - when they bought the club. 
  • This all feels like the powell season again

come in see who he likes and dislikes plan recruitment early get a good solid pre season and go strong next year
    Powell inherited a number of players soon to be out of contract, which made it easier to build a whole new team, whereas we have a number of players under contract for next season at least, so Jones will have to work with the players Scott has already recruited. 
    We have a load out of contract plus the loanees to go back so if they all go we will lose:

Campbell, Kanu, Fiorini, Camera, Watson, Ladapo, Dobson, DJ, Bakinson, Thomas, Hector, Small.
  • shirty5 said:
    A good appointment which needs to stay with us for the next 3 and half seasons minimum.

Appointed as manager so no interference from above as of now . He decides who he wants to bring in re back room staff and players, What system we play as well. 

He’s got 16 games to keep us up in this division with the personnel at his disposal, which will be said than done 

Regardless of what division we start in this August, then give him the adequate tools (Monetary) to give us a chance of moving on up. 

In principle this is of course correct - but let’s consider what kind of financial commitment the club will be making to get Jones on board. 

Then consider the drop in revenue we will suffer going down to a league one step above the Conference.

Not to mention the wages the likes of Coventry etc will be in.

Sticking with him and giving him the tools may not even be an option if we go down.
  • Nobody is going to boo him out the building if we lose a couple of games, our fans are no more impatient then any others but the reality is we are at our worst we have ever been in most fans lifetimes and unless your rose tinted glasses are extremely thick no Charlton fan should accept us being relegated to the fourth tier.

I hope Jones will be here for years, I fully support him but he simply has to keep us in this league at a minimum, then we can talk about the long term over the summer.
  • Of course it’s an excellent appointment, he’s also going to have Camara, Aneke and Taylor all coming back shortly, which improves his options, and the quality in the squad.