Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Redskin said:
    He smashed up and set fire to a ping- pong table because he thought it was proving to be be devisive among his Luton squad.
    That's the man for us, no more vanilla, v-neck jumper wearing apologists for their own shortcomings.
    We will be  'living in interesting times' for sure, but I can't wait...

Matthew Syed the renowned Journalist and ex elite Sportsman isn't a fan of Nathan Jones 🤔
    I think I’ll ignore the opinion of anyone on GB News. 
    I guess that you prefer an echo chamber?
    GB News literally has a show with a Tory presenter interviewing two Tory MPs. 

Red Robin, I assume you know who Matthew Syed is and what sport he played ?

I don't normally explain my jokes and just let them land. Matthew Syed is as bright as a button and no right winger (no he's not a footballer) 
  • Mr Jones seems like a good choice but Saturday's game at Reading is a tough start.They have the best record recently of any team near the bottom - 8 points from 15. A draw would probably be acceptable at least keeps us 3 points ahead of Reading. Our fixture list looks very tough - the Board knew that and delayed changing manager far too long. Let's hope NJ can rescue a dire position.
  • Good luck to NJ, I think he will need  a big slice of it to avoid relegation. 
    As Wellington said “it was a near run thing, the nearest damm thing you ever saw in your life “
  • I just hope we stay up. Jones sounds a strange character based on the interviews I've heard.

I'm quite amazed at the mess we're in.

• msomerton said:
    I wish supporters would not get carried away with new manager signing just because he has Charlton history. 
    Yes he did well with Luton but other wise not been a great success. Proof of the pudding and all that remember. I will make my judgement a month of or two from now.

So true. We do pull ourselves off unnecessarily early over a romantic story and certainly apply confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance to fit our view.

Seems a great hire but adkins did too at the time to all but a few scorned posters.

Hopefully it'll turn us round short and long term but probably worth tempering expectations a tad until we see how it unfolds....particularly rest of season as League 2 would be catastrophic.

Fingers crossed he'll deliver on the perceived excitement 🤞 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Sue Gallop speaking very highly of NJ on Charlton Live. 👍
    3 lols (and one like) for this. Is this because of anti Jones sentiment, or anti Sue sentiment?
    I enjoy the podcast but I have to say apart from yesterday (She worked with him)  I struggle to understand why she is on it.

She stopped going or watching us a year ago, follows her local non league club and is clearly not up to date with  the goings on at the club

Yesterday she kept going on about how much better it will be when Leaburn is back. Louis eventually had to interrupt to say he was out for the season.
    If she stopped going to see us years ago, why do I keep bumping into her at matches this season?
  • Looking forward to seeing him take us up through the leagues to the prem, and the first game of the season a 5-0 win against Southampton... 
  • edited February 5
    fenaddick said:
    Not enthused by this appointment as NJ has had two poor appointments more recently than Luton but pleased that the club have made a higher level appointment. I'm even less enthused by the actions of our SMT who by delaying the termination of Appleton have put us in danger of relegation that even the messiah that is Jones might not avoid.

However I will give him and his team my full support and hope that my unenthusiastic post is wrong.
    Tbf Lancs, he went back to Luton between Stoke and Southampton, and won manager of the season in the championship. 

Which tells me he's more than capable, he just ran before he could get up to a light jogging speed, again. 

Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake three times with us
    Just on your last line, both times he left Luton the next manager had success in part because he’d built a solid foundation. If he does that with us and gets poached it will be annoying but at least we’d be in a better position 
    That is my logic, he laid the foundations for two different managers to achieve promotions which he may well have earned himself. 

We have to just hope he can replicate it at Charlton, I think some Luton fan put it quite well that I saw earlier ; 

This is what concerns me.

Did NJ lay the foundation for Luton’s success, or was the foundation laid by others and he was one of a few that has benefitted from it?

A club that has a foundation and a togetherness behind the scenes in place, he’s a big success. Clubs that are in turmoil, less so. In that way, he’s a good manager but yet to prove that he’s a great manager.

Luton’s rise from non-league started under John Still, not Nathan Jones so you cannot argue he was the catalyst for their rise from the depths.

I am very hopeful but also very wary that this could also crash and burn a la his Stoke and Southampton stints.

One thing is for sure, I don’t think we will see 10th-18th places finishes in the third tier under his management.
  • Nathan Jones does not have the time at present to build any culture across the club.
    We play Reading next, he needs to prepare for that game, which means getting to know as much a possible about where the players are at right now, and picking and motivating a winning team.

• Perhaps we should be more focused on where we might be in five years time that the constant fear of relegation in a few month's time. It destroys confidence. 

Even if we go down, it can hardly be blamed on Nathan Jones. 

Who knows, perhaps one season of humiliation at the lowest level might drill some humility into us. 

Either way I say let's back the fella come what may. Enough chaos for one club, for one lifetime. 
  • edited February 5
    Hopefully short term thinking initially, then start working on the long term vision for his version of Charlton once we have a two digit points gap between us and the bottom four. 
  • robroy said:
    Any idea of contract length? 
    Curious to know if anyone has posted an answer to this? Thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• I may have missed it, but is Paul Hart joining as one of his coaches? I bloody hope so! I also hope they keep Curtis on as well.
  • We have had two Welsh Captains:
    Mark Aizlewood and Don WELSH 😀
    Graham Moore ?
  • Jessie said:
    robroy said:
    Any idea of contract length? 
    Curious to know if anyone has posted an answer to this? Thanks.
    Not been said

I may have missed it, but is Paul Hart joining as one of his coaches? I bloody hope so! I also hope they keep Curtis on as well.
    Nothing on coaching team been said
  • Would imagine more news on coaching staff etc will come this week. 
  • Completely ignoring his Southampton time. They failed to win their last six games at the end of the 21/22 season under Hasenhuttl. Jones came in during the November after he was sacked after winning twice in nine games. They were easily the worst team in the league regardless of manager.

Jones actually went unbeaten in his first three league games there.They won two league games in sixteen after he left. 
    Was going to say that when they got rid of him, the guy who came in after him (Ruben Selles) did even worse, an 11% win rate. So this pretty much shows it wasn't on the manager, their team was just abysmal.

Sheffield United this season are another example. Chris Wilder slightly improved Sheffield United when he took over, but they've reverted to being well beaten 
  • Completely ignoring his Southampton time. They failed to win their last six games at the end of the 21/22 season under Hasenhuttl. Jones came in during the November after he was sacked after winning twice in nine games. They were easily the worst team in the league regardless of manager.

Jones actually went unbeaten in his first three league games there.They won two league games in sixteen after he left. 
    Was going to say that when they got rid of him, the guy who came in after him (Ruben Selles) did even worse, an 11% win rate. So this pretty much shows it wasn't on the manager, their team was just abysmal.

Sheffield United this season are another example. Chris Wilder slightly improved Sheffield United when he took over, but they've reverted to being well beaten 
    But Sheffield United are proper proper shit, and are going down regardless. We're not proper proper shit, we're just meh, but that should be mid table league 1, not shit ya pants stuff that happening now