Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• edited February 4
    JamesSeed said:
    Watching Arsenal v Liverpool maybe we should cut our centre backs some slack. Two of the best CBs in the world screwing up 😂
    You know full well that if there's any bit of play our lot will learn from Liverpool it's that calamity defending.
  • Rothko said:
    Of course it’s an excellent appointment, he’s also going to have Camara, Aneke and Taylor all coming back shortly, which improves his options, and the quality in the squad. 
    When are they all back?
  • This all feels like the powell season again

come in see who he likes and dislikes plan recruitment early get a good solid pre season and go strong next year
    Powell inherited a number of players soon to be out of contract, which made it easier to build a whole new team, whereas we have a number of players under contract for next season at least, so Jones will have to work with the players Scott has already recruited. 
    We have a load out of contract plus the loanees to go back so if they all go we will lose:

Campbell, Kanu, Fiorini, Camera, Watson, Ladapo, Dobson, DJ, Bakinson, Thomas, Hector, Small.
    That still leaves AMB, Isted, T Watson, Assimwe, Ramsay, Edun, Jones, REG, Gillesphey, Mitchell, Henry, Taylor, Coventry, Anderson, Aneke, May, Leaburn  (I've bolded the senior players)

come in see who he likes and dislikes plan recruitment early get a good solid pre season and go strong next year
    Powell inherited a number of players soon to be out of contract, which made it easier to build a whole new team, whereas we have a number of players under contract for next season at least, so Jones will have to work with the players Scott has already recruited. 
    We have a load out of contract plus the loanees to go back so if they all go we will lose:

Campbell, Kanu, Fiorini, Camera, Watson, Ladapo, Dobson, DJ, Bakinson, Thomas, Hector, Small.
    That still leaves AMB, Isted, T Watson, Assimwe, Ramsay, Edun, Jones, REG, Gillesphey, Mitchell, Henry, Taylor, Coventry, Anderson, Aneke, May, Leaburn  (I've bolded the senior players)
    I thought Assimwe had gone to Bromley?
    Is Leaburns contract to 2025?
  • The next unspecified amount of weeks will be crucial. 
  • Welcome back Nathan
    May Derby be your Luton
    Stoke and Southampton your Leeds and Brighton and we will be your Nottingham Forest
  • First ever Welsh manager? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    This all feels like the powell season again

I thought Assimwe had gone to Bromley?
    Is Leaburns contract to 2025?
    It's Elerewe who has gone to Bromley.

Yes, Miles is to 2025, and really needs extending
  • edited February 4
    First ever Welsh manager? 
    Yep, the full UK set now plus one from Eire, Italy and Israel plus a few from Belgium I think 😉
  • Rothko said:
    Of course it’s an excellent appointment, he’s also going to have Camara, Aneke and Taylor all coming back shortly, which improves his options, and the quality in the squad. 
    You guys, your optimism is so sweet.
  • Bailey said:
    Davo55 said:
    Excellent appointment, especially in our current predicament.

Nathan Jones TO DO LIST:

1. Keep us in League One this season.

2. Establish a clear style of play that is a) successful and b) good to watch.

3. Get the defence and defensive midfielders working together cohesively.

4. Get more creativity in the attacking third.

5. Ensure that the gaps and imbalances in the squad are addressed in the summer.

6. Get Dobbo to sign a new contract.

7. Build a team that will at least get into the League One play offs next season.

Great, only alteration I would make is promoting No 6 to No 2...✅
    He's not a number he's a free man ! 
    Welcome back to The Village, Nathan.
    Well we've already got the idiot (RM & I don't mean Richard Murray)

4/5 of those at best promotion challenging level, and that is generous.
  • Wellred said:
    March looks rough with the away games but if Nathan can't get us to beat 3 of the bottom 4 clubs then we deserve to get relegated. 

My concern is more will he stay with us if he can't perform a miracle and we get relegated? Plus and more importantly will the main money men in the States decide to bail out as well? 

Because we're  Charlton this could be a distinct possibility. 

I really hope it doesn't get to that situation but this season as many lifers have said has been coming for over 10 years at least.

If we get relegated I think he would be on his way (sacked) or pay off clause written in to contract. 

Think this is going to be harder than he thinks,is he the right person for job? We will find out soon enough.

There is more in this team then they have been producing 
    Just needs the right man in charge to give the right direction & just having him in charge will boost the confidence in the players no end

Well I like the idea as Manager once again.

Wonder what Andy Scott’s position is now.

As for the rest of the SMT you are earning money from Charlton , do your work or leave.
    Unemployed hopefully
  • Nothing announced on Fleming or Jones' back room team.
    We very rarely do. I know other teams announce the back room staff at the same time but not us.

reports saying jones wants to bring it hart and cohen (I think I've got the names right), interesting to see if Fleming stays, or jones only gets one of his team. Or maybe we will have a team of four
    I imagine they have agreed to whatever he asked for more or less
  • Nadou said:
    "Something is happening, but you don't know what it is, do you Mr Jones?"
    Or

"We've got a thing going on"
    Mrs
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    Please let it be the Luton Nathan Jones

sorry, just turned him over & on his bottom its stamped "made in southampton"

• Not enthused by this appointment as NJ has had two poor appointments more recently than Luton but pleased that the club have made a higher level appointment. I'm even less enthused by the actions of our SMT who by delaying the termination of Appleton have put us in danger of relegation that even the messiah that is Jones might not avoid.

However I will give him and his team my full support and hope that my unenthusiastic post is wrong.
  • se9addick said:
    thenewbie said:
    Shows genuine ambition if nothing else, something of a "go big or go bust" appointment, certainly I'm hopeful of the former.
    We needed someone to come in whose going to tear the whole mess down and start building from scratch and on paper that's exactly what we've got.

Now let's see what happens on the pitch.
    You’re ignoring of course that you can go big and go bust!
    Not ignoring as such. Maybe a better analogy would be trying to aim for a manager with a higher ceiling than the regular L1 carousel of Appletons and Cowley bros etc.
  • Redskin said:
    He smashed up and set fire to a ping- pong table because he thought it was proving to be be devisive among his Luton squad.
    That's the man for us, no more vanilla, v-neck jumper wearing apologists for their own shortcomings.
    We will be  'living in interesting times' for sure, but I can't wait...

Matthew Syed the renowned Journalist and ex elite Sportsman isn't a fan of Nathan Jones 🤔
  • PopIcon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Nathan Jones’s priorities:
    1. To avoid relegation to L2
    2. To keep us in L1 this season
    3. To prevent us from being relegated to L2
    4. To keep us out of the bottom 4 in L1
    5. Etc. 
    considering none of them are on the table then he passed already … 

his main objective  this season to get top half finish .. 

Are you saying relegation isn't possible? Have you seen the league table?
    If relegation is on so are the Play offs then , still enough points to play for .. but no relegation not an issue when you look at our performance yesterday and second half at Blackpool there’s  a good team there .. hopefully Jones is the man to make it click I think he may be lucky with key players Camara and Aneke set to return as well 

We are *checks notes* currently:

21 points off the play offs having played 2 games more than 6th placed Stevenage.
    3 points off the relegation zone and could be 21st by Saturday night.
  • Chizz said:
    No one at a press conference is going to say..."he's crap, has no idea about tactics & his new club are fools for employing him" are they.

Well, I can think of someone who isn't shy of saying negative things...
  • We'll see.