Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Davo55 said:
    Excellent appointment, especially in our current predicament.

Nathan Jones TO DO LIST:

1. Keep us in League One this season.

2. Establish a clear style of play that is a) successful and b) good to watch.

b) is really not essential in our predicament.   After years of failure I would happily forgo attractive football for success.

Me too. In recruitment parlance a) was essential and b) desirable
  • edited February 4
    Davo55 said:

Nathan Jones TO DO LIST:

3. Get the defence and defensive midfielders working together cohesively.

4. Get more creativity in the attacking third.

5. Ensure that the gaps and imbalances in the squad are addressed in the summer.

6. Get Dobbo to sign a new contract.

7. Build a team that will at least get into the League One play offs next season.

Great, only alteration I would make is promoting No 6 to No 2...we need Dobson deal done...✅
  • Davo55 said:

Nathan Jones TO DO LIST:

b) is really not essential in our predicament.   After years of failure I would happily forgo attractive football for success.

B is not a requirement at all. 

I'll take ugly football all the way it can take us.
  • Interestingly, since the 18 mins since that Tweet went live, there have been 91,000 hits. 
  • At last.
    Welcome to the madhouse Nathan.
    Please be successful and get us back to the championship. 
    One step at a time. Please keep us out of League 2.
  • bobmunro said:
    Sorry, but I don't buy this LMA thing. They are just a "Trade Union" for managers. I doubt they get much say in agreeing a contract. Yes, they may give advice to their "members" as to the content of it & whether any special clauses should be added or omitted, but in the final analysis if Jones is happy with what we are offering he just needs to sign it.

Seems like there must be some unusual / contentious clauses in it for the LMA to be "making alterations" to it. Probably is a relegation clause or a "freedom to move if a better offer comes along" option being inserted. For his benefit I would say, not ours. 
    My feelings also. Wouldn’t you expect that someone like Jones would have his own lawyers and not rely on the LMA lawyers (?) who are not directly under his instructions ? Just seems odd to me. Never heard it being an issue before. Perhaps I’ve never noticed but quite what authority or control the LMA have I’m not sure.
    Why would he shell out for a lawyer when he has legal advice for free with his membership of the LMA. They advise - they have no authority to block the deal, and advice is always required when signing a contract worth more than most people will earn in a lifetime.
    To be honest if I was making those sort of decisions I’d employ my own lawyers. I’m sure he does.
  • Jones out!

Seriously a great appointment. Rowett and Moore would have also been great.
    Careful, you don't want to tempt the Applegif.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:
    Davo55 said:

Nathan Jones TO DO LIST:

3. Get the defence and defensive midfielders working together cohesively.

4. Get more creativity in the attacking third.

5. Ensure that the gaps and imbalances in the squad are addressed in the summer.

6. Get Dobbo to sign a new contract.

7. Build a team that will at least get into the League One play offs next season.

Great, only alteration I would make is promoting No 6 to No 2...✅
    He's not a number he's a free man ! 
    I thought he was a 4?
  • edited February 4
    bobmunro said:
    Sorry, but I don't buy this LMA thing. They are just a "Trade Union" for managers. I doubt they get much say in agreeing a contract. Yes, they may give advice to their "members" as to the content of it & whether any special clauses should be added or omitted, but in the final analysis if Jones is happy with what we are offering he just needs to sign it.

Seems like there must be some unusual / contentious clauses in it for the LMA to be "making alterations" to it. Probably is a relegation clause or a "freedom to move if a better offer comes along" option being inserted. For his benefit I would say, not ours. 
    My feelings also. Wouldn’t you expect that someone like Jones would have his own lawyers and not rely on the LMA lawyers (?) who are not directly under his instructions ? Just seems odd to me. Never heard it being an issue before. Perhaps I’ve never noticed but quite what authority or control the LMA have I’m not sure.
    Why would he shell out for a lawyer when he has legal advice for free with his membership of the LMA. They advise - they have no authority to block the deal, and advice is always required when signing a contract worth more than most people will earn in a lifetime.
    This. And maybe he does have his own lawyer but if you also get free consultation from the LMA lawyers, who have no doubt seen thousands of these contracts, why not get them to take a look as well? 
  • How long is 'long-term'? 

Also the disappearance of Andy Scott can only be a positive after his performance so far since last January. 
  • Great, he's a really good appointment.
    Better late than never but not too late me thinks.
  • edited February 4
    🤞 Looking forward to Reading now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Really good news pleased to see Manager rather than coach let better times commence from here.
  • Much mention of "Long term contract' as well as "Manager".

Evidently Jones has asked for control of the playing side; and the time and security to build a winning culture. 

• So where does that leave Ronnie Scott and all that jazz....? 🤔 
  • Fake news. I read from someone always itk that it can't be announced until ratified by the LMA, and that they don't work weekends.

Good luck Nathan and good luck us fans.
  • As ever with Charlton Athletic, if the type of signings now made, and a manager that the fans could get behind, were brought into the club in the summer, then there would be a good chance that the mess we find ourselves now in would never have occurred. Lets hope it works and quickly. 
  • So pleased about this appointment! Now if Scott could just bugger off which perhaps may happen now that Jones is officially Manager!
  • Hey, does anyone know that there was a song by The Supremes that says 'Nathan Jones you've been gone too long'? Feels like we should reference that constantly, a couple of times a page or so
    You hum it I'll play it!!
  • I thought Ronnie said the LMA doesn't work weekends? Perhaps Scott doesn't either hence why there is no word from him.🤔
  • Oggy Red said:
    So where does that leave Ronnie Scott and all that jazz....? 🤔 
    Blowing his horn somewhere else hopefully 🤞🏼