Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Leyton Orient Vs Charlton Athletic : Tuesday Boxing Day 2023 : KO 13:00

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Valley11 said:
    redbuttle said:
    Valley11 said:
    redbuttle said:
    Valley11 said:
    A result that has strengthened my view to get rid of Appleton. A bloody beige uninspiring appointment from the start, and that’s what he’s delivering.
    I’ve never ever been one for chopping and changing managers, and the players are cowards, but this bloke is not going to take us forward. Change it now before he has a transfer window that’ll set us back even further…if that’s possible 
    Problem is this. What managers that could take us forward would want to join?
    Plenty. We have become so weak in our mindset that some are now wondering if we’re a draw. Of course we are! 
    Regardless, get rid of this bloke. The most un Charlton, uninspiring, middle of the road manager going
    We deserve and should be demanding more 
    Name one...
    Don’t be stupid. There will be loads as you well know. We could go the Ipswich or Portsmouth route and promote one of the countries brilliant u21 coaches.
    Or failing that go with someone who has already proved they’re an ambitious, progressive coach. 
    So name one…ok, Gary Rowett. Or another… Dave Challinor. 

Pick someone with ambition and drive. You know, ideals our club used to believe in, demand and expect. 
    This idea that we’re an unattractive prospect is bullshit. 

Yes but any decent manager coming in would want to make his own decisions and not be told what to do all the time.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Valley11 said:
    redbuttle said:
    Valley11 said:
    redbuttle said:
    Valley11 said:
    A result that has strengthened my view to get rid of Appleton. A bloody beige uninspiring appointment from the start, and that’s what he’s delivering.
    I’ve never ever been one for chopping and changing managers, and the players are cowards, but this bloke is not going to take us forward. Change it now before he has a transfer window that’ll set us back even further…if that’s possible 
    Plenty. We have become so weak in our mindset that some are now wondering if we’re a draw. Of course we are! 
    Regardless, get rid of this bloke. The most un Charlton, uninspiring, middle of the road manager going
    Name one...
    Don’t be stupid. There will be loads as you well know. We could go the Ipswich or Portsmouth route and promote one of the countries brilliant u21 coaches.
    Or failing that go with someone who has already proved they’re an ambitious, progressive coach. 

Pick someone with ambition and drive. You know, ideals our club used to believe in, demand and expect. 

Yes but any decent manager coming in would want to make his iwn decisions and not be told what to do all the time.
    Also if that's the case why did we end up with Michael Appleton?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We could still go on a run in Feb...

Hmmmm, I hope we have a good January or else things could be worrying.
  • Options
    Back from the game and omg it was terrible. No effort, not interested and definitely no class shown today and previous matches. Spoke with some Orient fans on way home and they can’t believe how poor we have become from playing them first game of season.  Apples I suspect will be given the transfer window then by Easter if it’s still the same he might be catching the bus leaving Charlton. 
    So bad today.  CBT is Kirk in disguise. Please leave. 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    What a horrible match to watch, so little quality, so much hoofball 

Fraser tried to play a bit but he’s definitely someone that needs quality around him and there was nothing there today, CBT completely sussed with Pratley always covering his inside run

I get that Appleton has injuries but nothing he does or says inspires me and this has turned  into yet another drab season, who in their right mind would sign for us 

Merry Christmas 
    Appleton needs to be sacked
    Replace an s with a b.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if Alfie put in a transfer request if nothing is forthcoming within 7 days of the window opening, he must be feeling "why did I agree to come here"...🤷‍♂️
    Plausible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sat in the Directors Box right in the halfway line directly behind Appleton - he didn’t say one thing all game to the players. Just stood motionless. Absolutely begs belief how you can watch that dirge and not say a word. 

Did nothing. No tactical switches. No subs. No nothing. 

In contrast, their No.7 came on and won the game for them. 

A few other Addicks had hospitality and spoke with Andy Scott afterwards making it clear they weren’t happy. 

Enough is enough. Get rid now! 

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Alfie put in a transfer request if nothing is forthcoming within 7 days of the window opening, he must be feeling "why did I agree to come here"...🤷‍♂️
    Plausible.
  • Options
    Sat in the Directors Box right in the halfway line directly behind Appleton - he didn’t say one thing all game to the players. Just stood motionless. Absolutely begs belief how you can watch that dirge and not say a word. 

Did nothing. No tactical switches. No subs. No nothing. 

In contrast, their No.7 came on and won the game for them. 

A few other Addicks had hospitality and spoke with Andy Scott afterwards making it clear they weren’t happy. 

Enough is enough. Get rid now! 
    Concerning what you said about Appleton, is it a response to pressure from above?
    Good on the fellas for talking to Scott.
  • Options
    Need half a dozen players in (first team only) with a set of bollocks and pack all the children off to the local boxing gym for lessons on how to fight. 
  • Options
    Now it is clear we can't make the play offs, there is little point sticking with Appleton and we need a manager to start building for next season in January. I was for keeping him and giving him a window to bridge the gap but the gap looks unbridgeable already. Do we want him managing us next season, if not the club has to act.

In Appleton's defence, I think he may realise we have to lose quite a few players, but maybe he needed to string them along through December and they are not playing for him as he hasn't. As we were behind the curve going into December this has been a disaster.
    A manager will find it hard building a team IF they have very little say in recruitment.
    Scott needs to give Appleton a free reign on players.
    If Appleton was sacked and we brought in another manager who had very little say in recruitment then we are likely to be no better off.
    This mob need to BACK the manager.
  • Options
    But we have got better beer and more chips !
  • Options
    We need some Prem quality loanees (not Tedic). 
    No we don’t, we need top level League One / Championship level signings. We won’t get them, but that’s what we need.
    We have Hector, CBT and May that fit your description - but if you don’t want another Gallagher, Rak Saki, Beilik, Cullen or Maatsen then fair enough. 
    Because having a succession of loanees in critical positions has left us in such a strong position…
    If anyone wants to spend hours searching the threads I categorically stated back in the summer that we need to replace JRS as he almost single handedly kept us up last season (without his goals we would certainly have been in the bottom 4) and that we have no one wide right. 

6 months on & we have tried......

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

at right wing. All to no avail. 

For the love of God will someone please listen when fans speak. 
    agreed and i banged on about the need to sign 1, maybe 2 physical strikers - since our injury prone 2 got injured, as they always do, we have been useless - and were useless before they played that month or so - we all said a month ago we couldn't see how we would win a game before the window opens - if you have no threat / route to scoring a goal, you have nothing as a football team and that is where we are now - there are other deficiencies in the side obviously but once you have nothing up top, it kills everything.   
  • Options
    Oh forgot to say, Thanks Charlton for ruining my Xmas. 
  • Options
    Brown59 said:
    Oh forgot to say, Thanks Charlton for ruining my Xmas. 
    Actually had quite a shit Christmas so far anyway, so fuck you Charlton!
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Valley11 said:
    redbuttle said:
    Valley11 said:
    redbuttle said:
    Valley11 said:
    Name one...

We don’t own out ground or training ground, we go through managers at a ridiculous rate, have a paper thin squad, have a skinflint ownership whose structure and location is opaque at best, fronted by an obnoxious character who is highly decisive. When we do develop young players of ability we are lucky to see them for half a season before they are sold and it’s clear that there isn’t a budget 
    In fairness, apart from the issues you have highlighted, everything seems to be going fairly well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oakster2 said:
    We need some Prem quality loanees (not Tedic). 
    No we don’t, we need top level League One / Championship level signings. We won’t get them, but that’s what we need.
    We have Hector, CBT and May that fit your description - but if you don’t want another Gallagher, Rak Saki, Beilik, Cullen or Maatsen then fair enough. 
    Because having a succession of loanees in critical positions has left us in such a strong position…
    If anyone wants to spend hours searching the threads I categorically stated back in the summer that we need to replace JRS as he almost single handedly kept us up last season (without his goals we would certainly have been in the bottom 4) and that we have no one wide right. 

6 months on & we have tried......

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

at right wing. All to no avail. 

For the love of God will someone please listen when fans speak. 
    Actually Appleton has history when it comes to Message Boards, Social Media & fan's opinions

“What I tend to find at certain clubs I’ve worked for is that there’s almost an obsession with social media and fans’ forums within the hierarchy. You’re talking about these people on social media and fans’ forums and they’re a very, very small percentage of the actual fanbase but their voice seems to be bigger than what yours is.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/michael-appleton-opens-up-on-blackpools-struggles-manager-pressure-and-impact-of-social-media-4097188

Wonder if he thinks the people who booed him off today were also a very, very small percentage?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Our players and manager are always going to be mediocre as long as we're League 1. Players who are 100% in all areas of their game don't tend to play in League 1, they're usually with Chelsea or City in the Prem.

CBT, for example, getting pelters for not being able to finish a move every time; yeah that's right, because if he did have the finishing touch every time, he wouldn't be playing for Charlton.

Just think the idea is to give a mediocre manager time and support, to get the best out of a team of mediocre players, who each make up for eachother's short falls. The only alternative to that, imo, is to invest heavily, or do a Wrexham and become fashionable overnight.
    The most sensible analysis in this thread 
  • Options
    Sorry but , it’s Booo time, Appleton out….. !!!!!!
  • Options
    Sick and tired of this shit! 
  • Options
    Another game where I couldn't watch (travelling between relatives) and opened the match thread about after an hour had been lost played but at the beginning. Read we were playing an unchanged team, then read that now Kanu was playing on the right and May through the middle. Realised at that point that even with very rose tinted spectacles, Appleton is a fucking moron. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Brown sums it up perfectly .. the manager and most of the 'players' are roving mercenaries 'playing' for the cash and certainly NOT for the shirt .. even the 'home grown' graduates to the first team don't seem to show the fervour for the club that I expect, or am I being too hard here .. whatever, the way out of the club's present limboland will not be easy, signing management and players with the necessary zeal will be expensive and will take a long time i m o .. still Luton managed it and so have countless other temporarily 'fallen giants'. We can only hope that our time will come again
    Sadly it's the kids who's heads drop first as they look at the senior pro's and expect guidance when none is forthcoming. That said, there was only two kids Maynard Brewer and Kanu who started today and it was after substitutions were made, that we conceded. Appleton's frustration is not only with a lack of forwards and the side having very little backbone, it's the lack of quality or appetite of those on the bench. Tedic is really poor and Tyreece Campbell has the look of somebody who has been thrown into arena to grapple with Lions
    Maynard Brewer is 24 years old and has over 40 league appearances. I think he's probably past they point where we can call him a kid any more. This probably strengthens the point you are making.