Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Leyton Orient Vs Charlton Athletic : Tuesday Boxing Day 2023 : KO 13:00

Comments

• Options
    Oakster2 said:
    We need some Prem quality loanees (not Tedic). 
    No we don’t, we need top level League One / Championship level signings. We won’t get them, but that’s what we need.
    We have Hector, CBT and May that fit your description - but if you don’t want another Gallagher, Rak Saki, Beilik, Cullen or Maatsen then fair enough. 
    Because having a succession of loanees in critical positions has left us in such a strong position…
    If anyone wants to spend hours searching the threads I categorically stated back in the summer that we need to replace JRS as he almost single handedly kept us up last season (without his goals we would certainly have been in the bottom 4) and that we have no one wide right. 

6 months on & we have tried......

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

at right wing. All to no avail. 

For the love of God will someone please listen when fans speak. 
    Actually Appleton has history when it comes to Message Boards, Social Media & fan's opinions

“What I tend to find at certain clubs I’ve worked for is that there’s almost an obsession with social media and fans’ forums within the hierarchy. You’re talking about these people on social media and fans’ forums and they’re a very, very small percentage of the actual fanbase but their voice seems to be bigger than what yours is.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/michael-appleton-opens-up-on-blackpools-struggles-manager-pressure-and-impact-of-social-media-4097188

Wonder if he thinks the people who booed him off today were also a very, very small percentage?
    Oakster2 said:
    No we don’t, we need top level League One / Championship level signings. We won’t get them, but that’s what we need.
    We have Hector, CBT and May that fit your description - but if you don’t want another Gallagher, Rak Saki, Beilik, Cullen or Maatsen then fair enough. 
    Because having a succession of loanees in critical positions has left us in such a strong position…
    If anyone wants to spend hours searching the threads I categorically stated back in the summer that we need to replace JRS as he almost single handedly kept us up last season (without his goals we would certainly have been in the bottom 4) and that we have no one wide right. 

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

Actually Appleton has history when it comes to Message Boards, Social Media & fan's opinions

“What I tend to find at certain clubs I’ve worked for is that there’s almost an obsession with social media and fans’ forums within the hierarchy. You’re talking about these people on social media and fans’ forums and they’re a very, very small percentage of the actual fanbase but their voice seems to be bigger than what yours is.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/michael-appleton-opens-up-on-blackpools-struggles-manager-pressure-and-impact-of-social-media-4097188

Wonder if he thinks the people who booed him off today were also a very, very small percentage?
    Clearly they are a small percentage. There are a larger number who are dissatisfied but don't boo. The foul abuse of Hector who came over to applaud the fans was disgusting. You can say that his actions were misjudged , but he had the decency to respect the fans that had supported the team. 
    Was he singled out for abuse, or was he just nearby? I watched the feed, and up to the point where he skied that clearance before their goal he had a pretty solid game. I missed some of extra time because I was pacing around and could hardly bear to watch, so might not have the full picture, but if he was singled out for abuse I’d say that might be unjustified based on what I saw. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Oakster2 said:

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

Oakster2 said:

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

Clearly they are a small percentage. There are a larger number who are dissatisfied but don't boo. The foul abuse of Hector who came over to applaud the fans was disgusting. You can say that his actions were misjudged , but he had the decency to respect the fans that had supported the team. 
    Was he singled out for abuse, or was he just nearby? I watched the feed, and up to the point where he skied that clearance before their goal he had a pretty solid game. I missed some of extra time because I was pacing around and could hardly bear to watch, so might not have the full picture, but if he was singled out for abuse I’d say that might be unjustified based on what I saw. 
    I'd say it was just cos he was closest to us as the whistle blew and was therefore first on the scene. 
  • Options
    L1 is pretty poor this year and we're still way off the playoffs. No idea what the owners are expecting but we're hemorrhaging support and there is a growing division between fans and players.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    If the players don’t like the abuse from the fans then maybe they should complain to the management (at all levels) about it, because it is the management who have left them exposed and isolated.
    Yes players ought to put in a shift, but they are bought and selected by those in charge. If the players are low quality then so be it, but I found myself contemplating the difference between Charlie Kirk and the departed Josh Davison the other day, chalk and cheese when considering the shift they were prepared to put in regardless of their abilities.
    Spot on Seth.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Oakster2 said:

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

Oakster2 said:

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

Clearly they are a small percentage. There are a larger number who are dissatisfied but don't boo. The foul abuse of Hector who came over to applaud the fans was disgusting. You can say that his actions were misjudged , but he had the decency to respect the fans that had supported the team. His misjudgement was that there were some decent people there. I hope there were. but here were a loud vocal group who shouting " You're f**king useless" to their own player and team. (and worse). Equivalent to the media MA talks about.
    There is no place in the UK where you can shout that at someone doing their job. And if you do it repeatedly then in any other setting you may , I say may  as a customer ejected from the premises, or even possibly meet the men in blue. About time football is brought in line.
    What a load of rubbish. Anyone with experience in local politics knows that they are subject to a constant diatribe of criticism and abuse, mostly from people who don’t understand the law, the financial position or the circumstances of what they are complaining about. 

I don’t think it was fair that Tyreece Campbell was abused for failing to control the ball but equally the players are happy to suck up adulation and money in quantities that virtually nobody else can expect when they do their job well. It’s no surprise that the same passions work in the opposite direction.

The vast majority of Charlton fans present will have shared the same view of that performance and if Hector doesn’t like it he can jog on with the rest of them. But I doubt he needs you to protect him. 

Equally the real targets should be the people responsible for what happened yesterday, which is the gang of chancers in charge.
    If I was there, I would have given them pelters. Airman is right, whatever the problems with injuries or a lack of a proper squad, you expect the players selected to give their all. Only two youngsters started that game, Kanu was played in a position alien to him but he didn't chuck the towel in, we also know that Tyreece Campbell seems to be having a crisis of confidence, which probably explains why he didn't meet the ball on the bounce rather than let it bounce over his foot. My annoyance is more with the senior players in that team, when was the last time Fraser, Chem Campbell scored or even threatened the goal, you have to put your body on the line to do that. CBT is clearly at fault for the goal because he thinks that he can turn into two players and won't get robbed. Brownie and Airman are saying the same thing, the players got much praise for their performance at Barnsley but their lack of professionalism has produced the Cambridge, Burton and Orient results, they can't have it both ways.  
    Plus Chem Campbell who is 20. 
    Louie Watson, who didn’t start, isn't as young but has only played a handful of matches. Still look like a lightweight team on paper. Blame Airman's ‘chancers in charge’ for that. 
    It needs to be one hell of a window to get many of us back on side (if we ever were on side in the first place). 
  • Options
    L1 is pretty poor this year and we're still way off the playoffs. No idea what the owners are expecting but we're hemorrhaging support and there is a growing division between fans and players.
    Surely already down to near the limit now. For some, attending isn't a lifestyle choice but a life giving one in that they can't comprehend what their lives would be like if they didn't.

They will never leave, destined for eternity to suffer whatever misfortune befalls their club. Others less tolerant are able to check out for a while, quite a long while in my case, thirteen years and counting, although I was at the play off final more recently of course. And who wasn't? What a day that was! So sad the opportunity was squandered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    Oakster2 said:

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

Oakster2 said:

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

Clearly they are a small percentage. There are a larger number who are dissatisfied but don't boo. The foul abuse of Hector who came over to applaud the fans was disgusting. You can say that his actions were misjudged , but he had the decency to respect the fans that had supported the team. His misjudgement was that there were some decent people there. I hope there were. but here were a loud vocal group who shouting " You're f**king useless" to their own player and team. (and worse). Equivalent to the media MA talks about.
    There is no place in the UK where you can shout that at someone doing their job. And if you do it repeatedly then in any other setting you may , I say may  as a customer ejected from the premises, or even possibly meet the men in blue. About time football is brought in line.
    What a load of rubbish. Anyone with experience in local politics knows that they are subject to a constant diatribe of criticism and abuse, mostly from people who don’t understand the law, the financial position or the circumstances of what they are complaining about. 

I don’t think it was fair that Tyreece Campbell was abused for failing to control the ball but equally the players are happy to suck up adulation and money in quantities that virtually nobody else can expect when they do their job well. It’s no surprise that the same passions work in the opposite direction.

The vast majority of Charlton fans present will have shared the same view of that performance and if Hector doesn’t like it he can jog on with the rest of them. But I doubt he needs you to protect him. 

Equally the real targets should be the people responsible for what happened yesterday, which is the gang of chancers in charge.
    If I was there, I would have given them pelters. Airman is right, whatever the problems with injuries or a lack of a proper squad, you expect the players selected to give their all. Only two youngsters started that game, Kanu was played in a position alien to him but he didn't chuck the towel in, we also know that Tyreece Campbell seems to be having a crisis of confidence, which probably explains why he didn't meet the ball on the bounce rather than let it bounce over his foot. My annoyance is more with the senior players in that team, when was the last time Fraser, Chem Campbell scored or even threatened the goal, you have to put your body on the line to do that. CBT is clearly at fault for the goal because he thinks that he can turn into two players and won't get robbed. Brownie and Airman are saying the same thing, the players got much praise for their performance at Barnsley but their lack of professionalism has produced the Cambridge, Burton and Orient results, they can't have it both ways.  
    Chem scored recently with a header didn’t he? And had a decent effort headed away yesterday. He’s only 20, whereas the experienced pro, Fraser, hasn’t had a goal or assist all season in the league, and I don’t remember him stinging the goalkeepers’ hands either. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Bailey said:
    Oakster2 said:

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

Oakster2 said:

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

Chem scored recently with a header didn’t he? And had a decent effort headed away yesterday. He’s only 20, whereas the experienced pro, Fraser, hasn’t had a goal or assist all season in the league, and I don’t remember him stinging the goalkeepers’ hands either. 
    Chem should be offering much more than he us, seeing as he's a loanee from a premier league side. 

That doesn't take away from the fact that we should be looking to offload Fraser at the first chance we get. The fact his presence is constant through our worst years is no coincidence in my opinion. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    L1 is pretty poor this year and we're still way off the playoffs. No idea what the owners are expecting but we're hemorrhaging support and there is a growing division between fans and players.
    Surely already down to near the limit now. For some, attending isn't a lifestyle choice but a life giving one in that they can't comprehend what their lives would be like if they didn't.

They will never leave, destined for eternity to suffer whatever misfortune befalls their club. Others less tolerant are able to check out for a while, quite a long while in my case, thirteen years and counting, although I was at the play off final more recently of course. And who wasn't? What a day that was! So sad the opportunity was squandered.
    Really not enjoying attending games at present. Feels like everyone including fans is going through the motions - the excitement has gone and there seems to be an air of resignation.

Tempted to finally ditch my season ticket next season. 

• Options
    We need three new men rather than boys for midfield to help Dobson out. I think the manager knows that and has probably told the squad. 
  • Options
    Think Appelton is struggling to get the best out this team because I don't think the overall best is that good anyway. So many players need moving on its scary. Fraser being top of my list..he is so shit that I can't belive he is the player that gave us the runaround. He can't run and he can't pass...what is the point of him! 

We need at least 5 players to at least help us finish the season in a positive way and build on for next season because, unless there is a miracle, we aint going up! 
  • Options
    First away game for the whole family , ha ha you cnuts I told you I didn’t want to go .
    Hate us with a passion , we’re a genuine minge of a beige club .
    Saw headphones Norm and pointed out to the kids what a legend he was .
    The mighty O’s had 1 win in their previous 9 
    1-0 on your big day out , fucking Orient taking the piss out of us , joke of a club we are now .

these owners are fucking stupid , trying to do this shit on the cheap with the hangers on crew ,ridiculous
    from the off when they chose the cheaper assistant for Appleton rather than David Kerslake who interviewed and didn’t get the gig told me all I needed to know , they want to cut corners and hope it works out , well it doesn’t and hasn’t you cnuts .

Sat in row 4 and I’m usually quite a few further back , could feel how physical the game was and Orient had that bit more edge to them  .. I’d say everyone gave it a lot (physically, most have fuck all ability) apart from Chem Campbell who was a bit pussio (©️oohaah ) with his performance .
    Being that close to the players when our fans are singing ‘duh duh duh duh fucking useless’ felt painful and I hate these players more than most  , Hector tried to gee T Watson up when he got some . 
    I only boooed Appleton at the end and fair play to the players clapping the fans and fronting it up , whatever they do they’re gonna get shit at the end after all these crap performances(yeah but we beat Cheltenham 2-1 fuck off)

another evening where the Cadbury’s was hit hard hence another middle of the night slop out and an hour reading Charlton Life on the khazi 

my 13 year old asked if we’d ever get to the Prem in our lifetimes , I said not in mine and maybe in yours , can;t believe I lied to him . this club has nothing going for it currently and we need a miracle to stop this sinking ship going under more .
    Happy New Year !!

Always a corker 😂

Had the same issue mate, went on that spaces thing on twitter/x and said the result forced me into a pack of jaffa cakes. I am definitely holding the club accountable for my weight gain and toilet visits 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cloudworm said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Gribbo said:
    Our players and manager are always going to be mediocre as long as we're League 1. Players who are 100% in all areas of their game don't tend to play in League 1, they're usually with Chelsea or City in the Prem.

CBT, for example, getting pelters for not being able to finish a move every time; yeah that's right, because if he did have the finishing touch every time, he wouldn't be playing for Charlton.

Just think the idea is to give a mediocre manager time and support, to get the best out of a team of mediocre players, who each make up for eachother's short falls. The only alternative to that, imo, is to invest heavily, or do a Wrexham and become fashionable overnight.
    The most sensible analysis in this thread 
    or there's the third option which is what powell and bowyer did - put a good side together with good players in a sensible formation that suits them 
    Somehow they were facilitated in that. Billionaire owners don't come round too often.

As someone who wasn't really following the club so closely during the Roland years, I beg the question; on the pitch, was it really that bad when you look back at it objectively? I know people invested a lot of time and emotion in the CARD stuff, so it might be hard to admit. However, our slide as a club seems to have a force beyond Roland and since he's left, it's worsened. He seemed to have us top of League 1/championship strugglers. Who wouldn't accept that right now?

I just wonder if what we are witnessing is the inevitable outcome of bad timing, premier League TV money allocation and escalating parachute payments since we were relegated from the prem. Even a new billionaire wouldn't be able to buy success as we don't have the revenue to satisfy the financial rules. In short, we've missed the boat and should probably accept it.
    My niece 's boyfriend spent yesterday at ours and was interesting chatting about his team, Hull City - they went through a similar spat with their foreign owner who wanted to try 'different' things - a stand off ensued between fans and owner etc etc - anyway, they got over that, moved on and are sitting on the fringes of the championship play offs and generally happy with their lot - we have to stop blaming everything on Roland and realise things are a lot more simple - as powell and bowyer proved - neither of whom had a billionaire's money to work with but did know what a good player looked like and how to win a frigging football match 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Gribbo said:
    Our players and manager are always going to be mediocre as long as we're League 1. Players who are 100% in all areas of their game don't tend to play in League 1, they're usually with Chelsea or City in the Prem.

CBT, for example, getting pelters for not being able to finish a move every time; yeah that's right, because if he did have the finishing touch every time, he wouldn't be playing for Charlton.

Just think the idea is to give a mediocre manager time and support, to get the best out of a team of mediocre players, who each make up for eachother's short falls. The only alternative to that, imo, is to invest heavily, or do a Wrexham and become fashionable overnight.
    or there's the third option which is what powell and bowyer did - put a good side together with good players in a sensible formation that suits them 
    Somehow they were facilitated in that. Billionaire owners don't come round too often.

As someone who wasn't really following the club so closely during the Roland years, I beg the question; on the pitch, was it really that bad when you look back at it objectively? I know people invested a lot of time and emotion in the CARD stuff, so it might be hard to admit. However, our slide as a club seems to have a force beyond Roland and since he's left, it's worsened. He seemed to have us top of League 1/championship strugglers. Who wouldn't accept that right now?

I just wonder if what we are witnessing is the inevitable outcome of bad timing, premier League TV money allocation and escalating parachute payments since we were relegated from the prem. Even a new billionaire wouldn't be able to buy success as we don't have the revenue to satisfy the financial rules. In short, we've missed the boat and should probably accept it.
    Just in case you didn’t know Roland still owns the ground and training ground and this has led to Roland selling to asset stripping cnuts like ESI then to cheapo(in footballing terms ) chancers who think they can outwit the football world like Sandgaard and the CM conglomerate.
    The separation of ground and training ground ownership (and the ridiculous price that Cnut Roland wants for it ) from the club has scared away other buyers who may be as shit as what we have or maybe not .
    Im sure you can spend to get out , Ipswich did over two seasons .
    FooTball finances are fucked but if you wanna burn some cash for success I’m sure it’s allowed as long as you aren’t mincing about asking for payment back with interest .

hull city's previous owners, who the sustained fall out with fans and owners occurred - still own their ground - it hasn't stopped their new mega wealthy owner achieving what the fans are all currently happy with - a good team - why do they get a good, rich new owner and we get what seems like another collection of leeches?  i don't know the answer to that btw 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Right. Clearly an important point which has put us, as a club, in the bargain bin. What I missed was how The Valley ever went from the ownership of Greenwich borough to RD? Please help us out.. 
    When did Greenwich Borough own Charlton Athletic ???
    not in my lifetime thats for sure - probably never
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I didn't see us today, but what formation were we? 

Is it a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1 either way it leaves Alfie isolated when up top and when out wide. He's not a winger.
    Alfie May was played as a centre forward today Dazzler, in exactly the position that posters on here have been calling for. Kanu played on the right and CBT on the left of the three. I think the two square pegs were May and Kanu, our best chances fell to CBT, May had one effort that was charged down and a free kick move that ended wide. The lack of forwards in the squad forced Holden to play Alfie May as centre forward and it doesn't work and was part of the reason for his multiple loss of games and his eventual sacking, we are now back to square one. The issue of no forwards is the responsibility of the board, to have a nineteen year old, Miles Leaburn, who was injured at the seasons start and Alfie May as the only forwards in your squad is criminal, we had a little period of success where Chuks got off the treatment table but deep down everyone knew how that would end. Quite simply if the forward issue is not addressed then this club is heading towards the relegation places, that was the form under Holden and it's now the form under Appleton. 
    this is correct other than nobody in their right mind has said alfie may should be played up top on his own as centre forward
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Right. Clearly an important point which has put us, as a club, in the bargain bin. What I missed was how The Valley ever went from the ownership of Greenwich borough to RD? Please help us out.. 
    They didn't.

Fyi @Cloudworm the ground has always been owned by the owner. In 2019 ESI did a deal with Roland to buy the "club" (basically the name & the rights to play in the EFL) for the princely sum of.......£1. 

Yes. £1. Basically ESI bought the loss making part & Roland kept the assets (The Valley & the Training Ground). 

The rest, as they say, is history.
    Ok, so he owns it now. Who did he buy it from and for how much?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Cloudworm said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Gribbo said:

My niece 's boyfriend spent yesterday at ours and was interesting chatting about his team, Hull City - they went through a similar spat with their foreign owner who wanted to try 'different' things - a stand off ensued between fans and owner etc etc - anyway, they got over that, moved on and are sitting on the fringes of the championship play offs and generally happy with their lot - we have to stop blaming everything on Roland and realise things are a lot more simple - as powell and bowyer proved - neither of whom had a billionaire's money to work with but did know what a good player looked like and how to win a frigging football match 
    A bit economic with facts there Doucher. Chris Powell's recruitment to achieve promotion out of this division was financed, heavily. Certain players, such as Wright Philips were here already but the list of people brought in was quite dramatic, Wiggins and Taylor at the back, Holland, Dale Stephens, Andy Hughes and  Green in the middle of the park, Kemorgant up front, replacing Paul Hayes, who had been brought in pre season, I think Ben Hamer was also brought in that season. Bowyers achievement, was even greater in my opinion, yes a squad was here but he lost Karlan Grant mid season and still made the play offs, ultimately winning the final. It takes a good coaching team, yes, but it takes money to put a side together capable of gaining promotion, Ipswich have proved that and their investment was, in my view, comparable with the investment afforded to Chris Powell's squad, both of whom were nailed on certainties to go up.   
  • Options
    There were actually a few pro MA chants at the Burton game before their equaliser, "he's got no hair but we don't care....". Im guessing they weren't repeated yesterday. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:

if u haven't been to a game for 13 years, do you really think u r in a position to understand / criticise why fans who actually attend react in the way they do? 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Bailey said:
    Cloudworm said:
    They didn't.

Fyi @Cloudworm the ground has always been owned by the owner. In 2019 ESI did a deal with Roland to buy the "club" (basically the name & the rights to play in the EFL) for the princely sum of.......£1. 

Yes. £1. Basically ESI bought the loss making part & Roland kept the assets (The Valley & the Training Ground). 

The rest, as they say, is history.
    Ok, so he owns it now. Who did he buy it from and for how much?
    When Roland bought the club in 2014, he also bought the ground which was owned as part of the club by the Spivs. 

Then, when Roland was looking to bale but no one would pay his asking price (was it £50 or £60 million he wanted?) he then decided as a good wheeze to sell the club but hang onto the ground and training ground. And then charge the club rent for both!