Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Leyton Orient Vs Charlton Athletic : Tuesday Boxing Day 2023 : KO 13:00

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    NabySarr said:
    Croydon said:
    No one booed Asimwe and Campbell directly, nor was the 'fckin useless' chant aimed at them. Boos rang out after the goal and after several passages of poor play, and again after the final whistle.

Being in the away end, it seemed pretty clear that the voicing of displeasure was being aimed at the group and performance as a whole, not at individual players. 

Asiimwe played a poor pass to Campbell who couldn’t control it and it went off for a throw in. This was immediately followed with sings of fckin useless, even if it wasn’t the intention, it definitely looked like it was directed at them as they had just lost the ball and were right in front of the away end 

Other than that one incident I think the fans response was completely fair though
    It certainly makes the fans feel better. Whether it’s helpful, or counter productive, is up for debate. If players are clearly not trying then it might well be the kick in the arse they need. Sadly, I suspect ours are trying, they’re just either not very good, or can’t understand or implement what the manager wants. 
    For me the demise of the club is systemic, but it’s easier to look for scapegoats on the pitch. 
    You know who would know... Some former pros who used to give 110% every game. And they tore that 'effort' to shreds. 
    Fair point. And I was agreeing with Brownie at the time. 
    I’m almost dreading the next home game now. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    How you can leave an opposition player in the middle of the box with that much space is beyond my comprehension. I don’t blame the manager. Even Sunday league players should be able to organise themselves better.
    Even with you as manager (and I've witnessed first hand your team selections 😆) we would have been leading with 10 mins to go. 

Christ......even with me as manager we would having been winning with 10 to go......maybe 5-4 but we would have been ahead 😄.
  • Options
    Overall our first touch, our work effect, our tactical approach, our manager, our poor medical record, our crumbling under any sort of pressure and our lack of quality and character is the reason why we have been and will be struggling in this division yet again. 

• Options
    Can this be sent to our first team?

▶️ Watch this reel
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Stockley scores
    Ssshh, some get upset when you tell them about past players 🤗

• Options
    T Campbell was getting individual abuse at Gillingham, which I didn't like at the time.

If someone isn't trying, not running and bottling challenges they deserve it. If someone is trying, but having a mare, they don't. They're not deliberately miscontrolling the ball, and the abuse will just make them even more nervous and likely to cock up.
  • Options
    Watching Chin playing for Dartford yesterday, I wonder at the logic of loaning out certain youngsters, and instead playing ones like TC who is having a mare at the moment. Or the likes of Rylah who is way off being ready.

Chin played right midfield yesterday and would surely be a better bench option than TC at the moment.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    We as fans get emotional and sometimes we can react in an unfair manner when a result doesn’t go our way. However when you have ex professionals saying what they said in their post match comments I think we can assume that the fans are not being unfair. We devote our time and money to support our club and the least we should expect is that we are repaid with effort from the team. Not even winning but effort. What I saw yesterday was players hiding devoid of ideas. These are supposed to be professional footballers how the fuck Appleton can just stand on the sideline with his hands in his pockets saying nothing is beyond me ! He is the manager and should be demanding better. For me that in itself shows he is not a good manager we will only go downhill with him at the helm

As we know unless we put the right sort of money up for a decent manager we are always going to end up with this standard & go again on this merry-go-round  sadly 
    Those days are gone where we could attract a good Manager for the love of the club & game it's all about the pound note 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Once again the club pitch young players into a struggling team at to early a stage in their career.
    Then the fans get on the back of the young players , with real venom and thus destroy there confidence 
  • Options
    Cheers Braziliance. Agree with every word. Appleton got to go....oh and Scott
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Off_it said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Complete Shite !!
    players, manager and owners are all taking the piss, otherwise they are all completely incompetent!!!
    I think it's deeper and terminal. We have not replaced good charlton people like Roy King, Chris Parkes, Peter Varney, Rick Everitt and others with similarly minded, hard working and influential people, I.e. Charlton people inside the club. These provided the cultural framework in which the ethos of the club was grounded, grew and flourished in a previous era. It defined the Charlton that a significant portion of the fan base could relate to and against which Curbs could go and recruit squad players with the right work ethic, and lennie Lawrence before him and Chris Powell after him. I have no insider knowledge and hope I'm wrong but feel these missing personalities are part of the issue. Times have changed, slowly and quietly, like when you have a frog in a pan of water and turn the gas up gradually. The frog doesn't die straight away but it might eventually if it can't escape. Charlton as we knew it has changed now. We are a boiled frog and our era has passed.
    Roy King?!
    stadium manager from about 30 years ago - not sure his absence is quite as critical to our current demise as having a shit manager and a bunch of largely shit players 
    Oh, I know who he is. It was just the fact someone was holding him up in the category of "good Charlton people" that I was questioning. 

I don't have any direct first hand knowledge, but I'm sure the likes of @Airman Brown might be able to cast some light on his Charlton credentials and standing.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    One of the heroes of the day was @Leuth of this parish who walked walked from Camberwell to Brisbane road to see that load of rubbish today.
    Gets a 10 on the post match marks thread in my opinion.
    Surely all that proves is that @Leuth is too poor/tight to get a cab, and / or has no friends he can cadge a lift off? 🤔 
  • Options
    Watching Chin playing for Dartford yesterday, I wonder at the logic of loaning out certain youngsters, and instead playing ones like TC who is having a mare at the moment. Or the likes of Rylah who is way off being ready.

Chin played right midfield yesterday and would surely be a better bench option than TC at the moment.
    It's what should happen. All our promising youngsters should have had some experience on loan if possible, poor recruitment, Camara, Taylor, in the current list, McGrandles, Chuks in the past have meant managers have had no choice but to use these kids to either start the game or warm the bench. We may disagree on here about this manager or that, but we all agree that the owners since 2014 are responsible for the continuing crisis on the pitch and the over exposure of our youth to that crisis. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    hull city's previous owners, who the sustained fall out with fans and owners occurred - still own their ground - it hasn't stopped their new mega wealthy owner achieving what the fans are all currently happy with - a good team - why do they get a good, rich new owner and we get what seems like another collection of leeches?  i don't know the answer to that btw 
    Not sure where you’ve got this from - Hull City’s ground is owned by the council.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    NabySarr said:
    Croydon said:
    No one booed Asimwe and Campbell directly, nor was the 'fckin useless' chant aimed at them. Boos rang out after the goal and after several passages of poor play, and again after the final whistle.

Being in the away end, it seemed pretty clear that the voicing of displeasure was being aimed at the group and performance as a whole, not at individual players. 

Asiimwe played a poor pass to Campbell who couldn’t control it and it went off for a throw in. This was immediately followed with sings of fckin useless, even if it wasn’t the intention, it definitely looked like it was directed at them as they had just lost the ball and were right in front of the away end 

Other than that one incident I think the fans response was completely fair though
    I'd have thought the fact we chanted that last Saturday and more than once yesterday would have made it obvious it wasn't just at those two, but I understand your point.

Does really highlight the demise of Campbell though. He is currently putting in some of the worst performances we've ever seen by a Charlton player, when he had initially shown some promise .
    Campbell has regressed drastically imo, I don't think he's even playing to a standard that would see him start for a lower league 2 or national league side. 

If we are honest, a lot of our youth have fallen off quite a bit. Asiimwe and Anderson started off so well, Nath looks pony now and Anderson doesn't even get a look in. Deji should have stayed at Bromley where it was good for his development.

Campbell and Kanu definitely should be on loan though, both shouldn't be anywhere near a league 1 squad right now. 

I would wager that out of T Campbell, Assimwe, Kanu, Deji and Anderson, at least 3 will end up playing football at a level higher than L1.  Good kids currently caught up in this dredge.  I hope the experience doesn't scar them or leave them with a sour taste of our club.  
  • Options
    Melrose said:
    Cheers Braziliance. Agree with every word. Appleton got to go....oh and Scott
    It's inevitable, if he's here by seasons end I'll be very surprised. 

Croydon said:
    NabySarr said:
    Croydon said:

I'd have thought the fact we chanted that last Saturday and more than once yesterday would have made it obvious it wasn't just at those two, but I understand your point.

Does really highlight the demise of Campbell though. He is currently putting in some of the worst performances we've ever seen by a Charlton player, when he had initially shown some promise .
    Campbell has regressed drastically imo, I don't think he's even playing to a standard that would see him start for a lower league 2 or national league side. 

If we are honest, a lot of our youth have fallen off quite a bit. Asiimwe and Anderson started off so well, Nath looks pony now and Anderson doesn't even get a look in. Deji should have stayed at Bromley where it was good for his development.

Campbell and Kanu definitely should be on loan though, both shouldn't be anywhere near a league 1 squad right now. 

I would wager that out of T Campbell, Assimwe, Kanu, Deji and Anderson, at least 3 will end up playing football at a level higher than L1.  Good kids currently caught up in this dredge.  I hope the experience doesn't scar them or leave them with a sour taste of our club.  
    Not so sure you know mate, hard to tell. They're all talents and will all have a decent career in professional football, I would guess Deji has the highest ceiling, has all the attributes you'd want in a centre back, just needs more time in the game. Karoy also has a lot of potential. 

TC seems fairly limited atm, really regressed since his fantastic goal at the start of the season, barely takes a player on anymore, Nathan has looked lost whenever he has played recently and Kanu is lacking in physicality, he's well behind Leaburn in men's football. 

Either way I believe all should be on loan to league 2 or below. Going to do them no good playing in this side atm
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    We as fans get emotional and sometimes we can react in an unfair manner when a result doesn’t go our way. However when you have ex professionals saying what they said in their post match comments I think we can assume that the fans are not being unfair. We devote our time and money to support our club and the least we should expect is that we are repaid with effort from the team. Not even winning but effort. What I saw yesterday was players hiding devoid of ideas. These are supposed to be professional footballers how the fuck Appleton can just stand on the sideline with his hands in his pockets saying nothing is beyond me ! He is the manager and should be demanding better. For me that in itself shows he is not a good manager we will only go downhill with him at the helm
    This is how the vicious circle begins again.

Modern players are so soft and hold so much power that when the manager does as you request they all get the hump and play worse (’lose the dressing room’). Probably this has already happened for Appleton.

It doesn’t matter if we change manager because we will only replace him with another third rate one and go through the whole tedious cycle again.

The process can only be halted if the fans and owners together accept the manager with any faults he may have, and allow him to get on with it. 

When the fans, owners and manager are united, only then will the players accept that they have to respect the manager, and then performances will gradually and permanently improve. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T Campbell was getting individual abuse at Gillingham, which I didn't like at the time.

If someone isn't trying, not running and bottling challenges they deserve it. If someone is trying, but having a mare, they don't. They're not deliberately miscontrolling the ball, and the abuse will just make them even more nervous and likely to cock up.
    He is being paid to play EFL football, if he can’t do the basics or display the spirit to put something right if it goes wrong, particularly given the talent he previously showed, then that promising career in football he should have is likely to not be as long as it should. Those Charlton fans are doing him a favour
  • Options
    clive said:
    How you can leave an opposition player in the middle of the box with that much space is beyond my comprehension. I don’t blame the manager. Even Sunday league players should be able to organise themselves better.
    main reason is because our 'leader' at the back is lapzedazical boy hector 
  • Options
    West2003 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    hull city's previous owners, who the sustained fall out with fans and owners occurred - still own their ground - it hasn't stopped their new mega wealthy owner achieving what the fans are all currently happy with - a good team - why do they get a good, rich new owner and we get what seems like another collection of leeches?  i don't know the answer to that btw 
    Not sure where you’ve got this from - Hull City’s ground is owned by the council.
    it may be owned by the council but i think it is run and operated by a management company who can dictate how it is used - i.e what parts of the ground are open and how they are operated 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    West2003 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    it may be owned by the council but i think it is run and operated by a management company who can dictate how it is used - i.e what parts of the ground are open and how they are operated 
    Yes but the previous owners have nothing to do with that either - they tried to buy the ground and the council refused.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    One of the heroes of the day was @Leuth of this parish who walked walked from Camberwell to Brisbane road to see that load of rubbish today.
    Gets a 10 on the post match marks thread in my opinion.
    Surely all that proves is that @Leuth is too poor/tight to get a cab, and / or has no friends he can cadge a lift off? 🤔 
    Or didn't know the tube was running 😂
  • Options
    Just hope there are 4 worse teams than us in this division.

Yes, I know we are 10 points above the bottom 4 at present but for how much longer? We don't seem to be improving and if Corey and Dobbo go next month we will get even worse.
  • Options
    In football, whatever the level there is always the safe option. It is the let somebody else cock it up mentality. When a team lacks confidence you can see it in some of the players. I have to say what I see and the three players I would pick out that don't have this weakness are Dobbo, Hector and May. I'm not saying they should be above criticism but they at least try to make something happen.
    This. I have no problem whatsoever with a player who tries and fails occasionally over the course of a game, that’s what football is all about over 90 minutes (or more as is the case these days). It’s the ones that look like they have surrendered as soon as things get tough that really piss me off, the ones that make half-arsed movements expecting the ball to come to them and control itself, that let their heads drop, that don’t go into a tackle with commitment.