Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Leyton Orient Vs Charlton Athletic : Tuesday Boxing Day 2023 : KO 13:00

Comments

• Options
    Oakster2 said:
    We need some Prem quality loanees (not Tedic). 
    No we don’t, we need top level League One / Championship level signings. We won’t get them, but that’s what we need.
    We have Hector, CBT and May that fit your description - but if you don’t want another Gallagher, Rak Saki, Beilik, Cullen or Maatsen then fair enough. 
    Because having a succession of loanees in critical positions has left us in such a strong position…
    If anyone wants to spend hours searching the threads I categorically stated back in the summer that we need to replace JRS as he almost single handedly kept us up last season (without his goals we would certainly have been in the bottom 4) and that we have no one wide right. 

6 months on & we have tried......

Campbell  T
    Campbell  C
    Leaburn
    May
    Tedic
    Kanu

at right wing. All to no avail. 

For the love of God will someone please listen when fans speak. 
    Actually Appleton has history when it comes to Message Boards, Social Media & fan's opinions

“What I tend to find at certain clubs I’ve worked for is that there’s almost an obsession with social media and fans’ forums within the hierarchy. You’re talking about these people on social media and fans’ forums and they’re a very, very small percentage of the actual fanbase but their voice seems to be bigger than what yours is.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/michael-appleton-opens-up-on-blackpools-struggles-manager-pressure-and-impact-of-social-media-4097188

Wonder if he thinks the people who booed him off today were also a very, very small percentage?
    Well, he can't say he isn't aware of what our fans are saying about him, regardless of whether it's only a "small percentage".
  • Options
    Right who's going to Bristol Ha
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Managing the game/doing the basics that exist in all levels of football, We are so poor at. Is that due to lack of determination, lack of footballing brain or lack of experience. But the basics like simple throw in to enable players to give you the ball back make it difficult for players to control ,corners we never seem set up right defensively or a threat at all for attacking set pieces. Free kicks near the half way line we go short but with no real purpose or go long for Alfie May. GK goalkicks lofted to right wingers with no chance of winning a header. Helping out wide players to double up on attacking wide players. I could go on and on.....

The lack of effort is normally used but I am shocked out naive we are as a team to even do the basics to compete.

Once CBT is sold in Janaury do we go constantly more direct as he has been our only outlet since August in any build up play and only other attacking option apart from May.
  • Options
    Read every post and agree with most of the comments. I feel my club is dying and I am worried where we will be in another decade.

Appleton has to go, I don't believe he deserves a window. He can't be trusted and I think the comments about 'not his players' are a bit of a coping mechanism. It would suggest that Carlisle, Burton, Cambridge and Leyton Orient all have similar strength squads to us when it can't be the case. I suggested that we had one of the worst defences in the league and unfortunately game after game I am provem right. I promise you this bloke couldn't manage a McDonalds shop floor. He has 0 personality and there's no proof that he is ready for a job like this. 

Now is the time to get a manager in, give them the half of the season to build something for next year. He can't be trusted identifying players that's for certain and he can't coach players. He's essentially just a wage thief.

I'd let every player go who's contract expires in the summer, look to pay off those who we can, keep May and Jones and build all over again. They're the only two players I can see being up to it. Corey is a fantastic winger on his day but it's the right player at the wrong club, Dobson would also be welcome but I suspect he has other plans. The rest can do one.

Sack him tomorrow, get an interim, interview properly and plan. We will not get promoted under Appleton so the longer it goes on the more time we have wasted as a club.

I'll be going to Bristol but I don't want to. Just got it in my head now to finish the season. 

To everyone that jeered them off the pitch, well done. It's long overdue and they deserve it. If we stay silent they will take the piss, they should feel ashamed. Unless you were there today, it really is hard to explain how bad it was. 
    👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼
  • Options
    I didn't see us today, but what formation were we? 

Is it a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1 either way it leaves Alfie isolated when up top and when out wide. He's not a winger.
  • Options
    Complete Shite !!
    players, manager and owners are all taking the piss, otherwise they are all completely incompetent!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This will all go really tits up once the serious investors realise they have been sold a pup and either a) replace the SMT who have duped them or b) cut their losses and sell up.
    I have been told by a reliable source within the club that only 2 investors have serious money and interest. The rest are just looking to cut costs.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Gribbo said:
    Our players and manager are always going to be mediocre as long as we're League 1. Players who are 100% in all areas of their game don't tend to play in League 1, they're usually with Chelsea or City in the Prem.

CBT, for example, getting pelters for not being able to finish a move every time; yeah that's right, because if he did have the finishing touch every time, he wouldn't be playing for Charlton.

Just think the idea is to give a mediocre manager time and support, to get the best out of a team of mediocre players, who each make up for eachother's short falls. The only alternative to that, imo, is to invest heavily, or do a Wrexham and become fashionable overnight.
    The most sensible analysis in this thread 
    or there's the third option which is what powell and bowyer did - put a good side together with good players in a sensible formation that suits them 
    Shake ya magic wand and make it happen then shagger, or are we dealing with the shite hand of cards we've got? The good side won't just happen tomorrow and some of the bollocks that is being spouted is close to unbearable, what game changing formation would you play and if you say 4-4-2 with our very one dimensional centre miss then you're proposing a losing formula 
  • Options
    This will all go really tits up once the serious investors realise they have been sold a pup and either a) replace the SMT who have duped them or b) cut their losses and sell up.
    I have been told by a reliable source within the club that only 2 investors have serious money and interest. The rest are just looking to cut costs.
    Just as yer nuts stop swinging eh?

Incoming!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    According to this thread (seems to be confirmed by multiple people) some of the players girlfriends were arguing with fans in the stand.

• Options
    I left on the whistle, at this stage just too depressed to be part of the rightful abuse/booing at this team, other then two Charlton games had a pleasant Christmas period, hopefully everyone else did too.
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    Complete Shite !!
    players, manager and owners are all taking the piss, otherwise they are all completely incompetent!!!
    I think it's deeper and terminal. We have not replaced good charlton people like Roy King, Chris Parkes, Peter Varney, Rick Everitt and others with similarly minded, hard working and influential people, I.e. Charlton people inside the club. These provided the cultural framework in which the ethos of the club was grounded, grew and flourished in a previous era. It defined the Charlton that a significant portion of the fan base could relate to and against which Curbs could go and recruit squad players with the right work ethic, and lennie Lawrence before him and Chris Powell after him. I have no insider knowledge and hope I'm wrong but feel these missing personalities are part of the issue. Times have changed, slowly and quietly, like when you have a frog in a pan of water and turn the gas up gradually. The frog doesn't die straight away but it might eventually if it can't escape. Charlton as we knew it has changed now. We are a boiled frog and our era has passed.
    Roy King?!
  • Options
    One of the heroes of the day was @Leuth of this parish who walked walked from Camberwell to Brisbane road to see that load of rubbish today.
    Gets a 10 on the post match marks thread in my opinion.
  • Options
    Read every post and agree with most of the comments. I feel my club is dying and I am worried where we will be in another decade.

Appleton has to go, I don't believe he deserves a window. He can't be trusted and I think the comments about 'not his players' are a bit of a coping mechanism. It would suggest that Carlisle, Burton, Cambridge and Leyton Orient all have similar strength squads to us when it can't be the case. I suggested that we had one of the worst defences in the league and unfortunately game after game I am proven right. I promise you this bloke couldn't manage a McDonalds shop floor. He has 0 personality and there's no proof that he is ready for a job like this. 

Now is the time to get a manager in, give them the half of the season to build something for next year. He can't be trusted identifying players that's for certain and he can't coach players. He's essentially just a wage thief.

I'd let every player go who's contract expires in the summer, look to pay off those who we can, keep May and Jones and build all over again. They're the only two players I can see being up to it. Corey is a fantastic winger on his day but it's the right player at the wrong club, Dobson would also be welcome but I suspect he has other plans. The rest can do one.

Sack him tomorrow, get an interim, interview properly and plan. We will not get promoted under Appleton so the longer it goes on the more time we have wasted as a club.

I'll be going to Bristol but I don't want to. Just got it in my head now to finish the season. 

To everyone that jeered them off the pitch, well done. It's long overdue and they deserve it. If we stay silent they will take the piss, they should feel ashamed. Unless you were there today, it really is hard to explain how bad it was. 
    Alternatively, the players who do not want to be here can f*** off, then freeing space up for Appleton to bring his players.
    Managers need to be given time.
  • Options
    Make you right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:

Appleton has to go, I don't believe he deserves a window. He can't be trusted and I think the comments about 'not his players' are a bit of a coping mechanism. It would suggest that Carlisle, Burton, Cambridge and Leyton Orient all have similar strength squads to us when it can't be the case. I suggested that we had one of the worst defences in the league and unfortunately game after game I am proven right. I promise you this bloke couldn't manage a McDonalds shop floor. He has 0 personality and there's no proof that he is ready for a job like this. 

Alternatively, the players who do not want to be here can f*** off, then freeing space up for Appleton to bring his players.
    Managers need to be given time.
    Agree. But he was the wrong choice from the start. Weird weird appointment 
    Although it could be said that under this ownership anybody half decent will run a mile.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Gribbo said:
    Our players and manager are always going to be mediocre as long as we're League 1. Players who are 100% in all areas of their game don't tend to play in League 1, they're usually with Chelsea or City in the Prem.

CBT, for example, getting pelters for not being able to finish a move every time; yeah that's right, because if he did have the finishing touch every time, he wouldn't be playing for Charlton.

Just think the idea is to give a mediocre manager time and support, to get the best out of a team of mediocre players, who each make up for eachother's short falls. The only alternative to that, imo, is to invest heavily, or do a Wrexham and become fashionable overnight.
    or there's the third option which is what powell and bowyer did - put a good side together with good players in a sensible formation that suits them 
    Shake ya magic wand and make it happen then shagger, or are we dealing with the shite hand of cards we've got? The good side won't just happen tomorrow and some of the bollocks that is being spouted is close to unbearable, what game changing formation would you play and if you say 4-4-2 with our very one dimensional centre miss then you're proposing a losing formula 
    3 5 2 and believe it or not i don't own the club or manage it silly bollox 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Complete Shite !!
    I think it's deeper and terminal. We have not replaced good charlton people like Roy King, Chris Parkes, Peter Varney, Rick Everitt and others with similarly minded, hard working and influential people, I.e. Charlton people inside the club. These provided the cultural framework in which the ethos of the club was grounded, grew and flourished in a previous era. It defined the Charlton that a significant portion of the fan base could relate to and against which Curbs could go and recruit squad players with the right work ethic, and lennie Lawrence before him and Chris Powell after him. I have no insider knowledge and hope I'm wrong but feel these missing personalities are part of the issue. Times have changed, slowly and quietly, like when you have a frog in a pan of water and turn the gas up gradually. The frog doesn't die straight away but it might eventually if it can't escape. Charlton as we knew it has changed now. We are a boiled frog and our era has passed.
    Roy King?!
    stadium manager from about 30 years ago - not sure his absence is quite as critical to our current demise as having a shit manager and a bunch of largely shit players 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Do we have better players than the likes of Cheltenham, Gillingham, Carlisle, Burton and Orient, that we've failed to beat?

I don't know, but I'm much more confident in declaring that our players are much better paid than those from those other clubs. 

We've become the failing club that Charlton used to love beating back in the 90s and PL era.
  • Options
    Do we have better players than the likes of Cheltenham, Gillingham, Carlisle, Burton and Orient, that we've failed to beat?

I don't know, but I'm much more confident in declaring that our players are much better paid than those from those other clubs. 

We've become the failing club that Charlton used to love beating back in the 90s and PL era.
    Add Cray Valley PM.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Gribbo said:

Somehow they were facilitated in that. Billionaire owners don't come round too often.

As someone who wasn't really following the club so closely during the Roland years, I beg the question; on the pitch, was it really that bad when you look back at it objectively? I know people invested a lot of time and emotion in the CARD stuff, so it might be hard to admit. However, our slide as a club seems to have a force beyond Roland and since he's left, it's worsened. He seemed to have us top of League 1/championship strugglers. Who wouldn't accept that right now?

I just wonder if what we are witnessing is the inevitable outcome of bad timing, premier League TV money allocation and escalating parachute payments since we were relegated from the prem. Even a new billionaire wouldn't be able to buy success as we don't have the revenue to satisfy the financial rules. In short, we've missed the boat and should probably accept it.