Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town: Tuesday 28th November 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Two or three new midfielders in January please. 
  • Options
    There are a fair few of them who need a good rest! CBT, Dobbo, May, Jones, Edun! Wrap them up in cotton wool and play the youngsters saturday!
  • Options
    I imagine Appleton will be satisfied we did a Golfie...
  • Options
    Too negative from Appleton. Needs to be braver with his selection in games like that 
  • Options
    @RonnieMoore player scores and comments have certainly cheered me up.
  • Options
    we have scored 30 goals in 18 games so far this season. 

Out of those 30 goals 2 players have scored 20 of them - Alfie May & CBT. 
    Yeah and May has half of them. How lucky are we? Have you looked at the assist table as well as we have two players high up on that too!! Not to mention Charlton are like top 3 or 4 for home goals in the entire country in 2023! (we might even be near top including cups!) The Valley is the place to be for goals it’s awesome ain't it!
    You can’t argue with facts though. He’s not wrong
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Attacking players score goals shocker 
    Indeed. But he’s bang on the money 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    If this team didn't have Alfie May, it would be fecking dreadful. 

That was a grim watch. I didn't get any sense from the players that this was a big game where we needed the three points. Some of them were not fussed. May, Jones, Edun & Tedic (although poor) at least looked up for it. Hector isn't trying. 

We can't keep a clean sheet for toffee.

Pleased to have the three points but convinced we're going nowhere. We play like a mid-table team. 
    What is all this 'not fussed' and 'not trying'? If we weren't fussed or not tried we wouldn't have won that, because Cheltenham were bang up for it. Seen several people say Hector wasn't trying. Are defenders not allowed to have a bit of composure without people thinking they're facking fancy-dan softies
    It’s funny you say that Chunes, because I thought Saturday we played like a very commanding top six side we just couldn’t convert our chances! 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Yeah and May has half of them. How lucky are we? Have you looked at the assist table as well as we have two players high up on that too!! Not to mention Charlton are like top 3 or 4 for home goals in the entire country in 2023! (we might even be near top including cups!) The Valley is the place to be for goals it’s awesome ain't it!
    i dunno... Golfie always loves to moan that we don't score enough. Now the issue has changed to "oh well its only because of two people" 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    shirty5 said:

Bang on the money of what? Teams have won titles from consistent goalscoers be it one or two. I would t mind but this comes from a bloke thats been crying out for a regular goal scorer 🤣
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

i dunno... Golfie always loves to moan that we don't score enough. Now the issue has changed to "oh well its only because of two people" 
    What do you mean I dunno? Is he wrong? No he’s not 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    shirty5 said:

Bang on the money of what? Teams have won titles from consistent goalscoers be it one or two. I would t mind but this comes from a bloke thats been crying out for a regular goal scorer 🤣
    What point of what he said was incorrect then Gary? 

If i can had came out with that fact on here would you or anyone else be having words about it? 
  • Options
    Was amusing at the end seeing Alfie and I think Jones do the tunnel jump to about 286 of us left in the stadium 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

Oh come on, he wasn’t just stating fact he was trying to prove some point

fuckin hell, know the poster
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

Nonsense. I have been on here long enough to know when someone is correct when what they are saying 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

Nonsense. I have been on here long enough to know when someone is correct when what they are saying 
    Nonsense lol
  • Options
    It’s at times like this I’m glad I live far enough away to not make some of these midweek games when the kids have guff on , thank you the Blackwall tunnel .
    i mean if 3 points against Cheltenham doesn’t get you warm and fuzzy on a winters night , you might be a sane Charlton fan (if there’s such a thing)
    That performance doesn’t give me much hope for the play offs but let’s hope it’s an aberration and the 3 points are important come the end of the season.
    imagine the teardrops if the ref had given that penalty against us but we’ll take it cos they’re not always against us .
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

the point was -  take the two top scorers out and we wpuld be in trouble - but that is the case for literally every team in the top 10 of this league. Its a non point
    Thank you I thought I was going mad 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

the point was -  take the two top scorers out and we would be in trouble - but that is the case for literally every team in the top 10 of this league. Its a non point
    100% if you take out the top two scorers from any side they'll struggle.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    17 goals in all competitions for May now is it? 

Him and CBT are gonna drag this team kicking and screaming to the play offs at this rate
    Keep us out of the bottom 4 you mean!
    no, I mean play offs - Saturday showed you can play well and still not win. Playing badly and winning is better. We are a 4-10th team not Man City, e aren't going to win every game we deserve and we aren't going to lose every game we deserve either, we are consistently picking up points and that is what counts for a play off team
    2 wins in the last 7 before today. 
    2 defeats in 13 as well
    Getting draws doesn't lead to play offs. 
    we won tonight in case you missed it
    We played against a team with 12 losses from 18 games and struggled. It doesn't scream play-offs. 
    Did we struggle? It wasn't dominant but how many clear cut chances did Cheltenham have other than the goal?

how many did we have?

we didn't struggle. We definitely were not at the races tonight but we didn't look threatened. Another 3 points and that's all I care about
    Struggled in the sense of winning the game. We couldn't finish any chances we created and relied on two penalties to save the day. 

I don't think we were in much danger of losing but if the penalty wasn't given we weren't scoring from open play. 
    We hit the post. Their keeper pulled off a couple of good saves. There was a last ditch block. 
    Sometimes I think we go a bit OTT. 
    And Hector does try Chunesy. He's just not the fist pumping type.  
  • Options
    Unfortunately a lot of our players are not good enough to get us out of this league , Hector looks as though there is a mistake in him every game and poor tonight in the air .T Watson is always looking to hit a pass backwards unless he has loads of room, then he may go forward. I think Jones and Edun are good enough to get us out of the division . How on earth does Apples keep L Watson on the bench when he is our best midfielder apart from Dobbo . CBT may score a few goals but lazy and goes missing for long parts of the game . Looks like Leaburn is going to be out a while so a big hole up front . Thank god for May. 
    Cannot see us getting above 8th place at the best .