Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town: Tuesday 28th November 2023 | KO 19:45

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I think signing a high quality midfielder in January (plus a striker and maybe a centre back) would revitalise our season. 
    But sadly, as every year, I doubt it will happen. 
    I think Camara and/or Taylor have the ability to be that/those midfielder(s). I think that because we didn't see a lot of them we underestimate how much they are missed. 
    Camara, yes, but not sure about Taylor. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    SDAddick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I think signing a high quality midfielder in January (plus a striker and maybe a centre back) would revitalise our season. 
    I think Camara and/or Taylor have the ability to be that/those midfielder(s). I think that because we didn't see a lot of them we underestimate how much they are missed. 
    I think a fit and firing Taylor would be an upgrade on McGrandles both in terms of mobility and distribution. I think he'd give us some of that defensive solidity in midfield, and also help with retaining possession. 

Whether we see that player this season, I don't know. Obviously the worry for him and Camara is that when they come back they'll both have played very little football in about a year. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Croydon said:
    Their goal:

Another observation to the goal that I've only just spotted

Why is Dobson (?) marking Jones so tightly? - Or is it the other way round

If he's closer to the crosser... there are three options for the man on the ball

Out wide to the right, and Edun can mark him - Tries a through ball to the bloke between Hector and Jones, and the latter can potentially cut out the pass. - Passes to the right, and Fraser / McGrandles can deal with him
    Could AMB come for the cross ?
    I was focusing on the fact that had we closed down the initial cross, neither Defenders nor Goalkeeper (Given those two have been getting the most blame) should have had anything to worry about.

The amount of room the bloke with the assist is in... Is criminal in itself.
    I don't think he had time to come for the cross...... he took a step or two back to protect his goal so he didn't get caught out by the cross/shot going over/behind him....... when the cross came in it was hit quite hard and I don't think had time to get there......?
    I've looked it again, he shuffles back then forward, miss reads the flight of the ball and the player scores just inside the the six yard box. For me that's a goalkeeping error. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    SDAddick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I think a fit and firing Taylor would be an upgrade on McGrandles both in terms of mobility and distribution. I think he'd give us some of that defensive solidity in midfield, and also help with retaining possession. 

Whether we see that player this season, I don't know. Obviously the worry for him and Camara is that when they come back they'll both have played very little football in about a year. 
    Hasn’t Taylor only played in a couple of games? Hard to know what’s he’s like as a player if that’s true. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Croydon said:
    Their goal:

Another observation to the goal that I've only just spotted

Why is Dobson (?) marking Jones so tightly? - Or is it the other way round

If he's closer to the crosser... there are three options for the man on the ball

Out wide to the right, and Edun can mark him - Tries a through ball to the bloke between Hector and Jones, and the latter can potentially cut out the pass. - Passes to the right, and Fraser / McGrandles can deal with him
    Could AMB come for the cross ?
    I was focusing on the fact that had we closed down the initial cross, neither Defenders nor Goalkeeper (Given those two have been getting the most blame) should have had anything to worry about.

The amount of room the bloke with the assist is in... Is criminal in itself.
    I don't think he had time to come for the cross...... he took a step or two back to protect his goal so he didn't get caught out by the cross/shot going over/behind him....... when the cross came in it was hit quite hard and I don't think had time to get there......?
    I've looked it again, he shuffles back then forward, miss reads the flight of the ball and the player scores just inside the the six yard box. For me that's a goalkeeping error. 
    Yes, you're probably right. The whole thing looks like a good defensive lesson for the team....... which someone else has already said....... apologies can't remember who...... no tracking back on the guy who crossed, headed clearance not the best, no closing down the opportunity to cross and then the space and lack of challenge on the guy who scored. 
    On the bright side it's lessons learned all round and we still got all 3 points.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Apart from a two game run of defeats, we have become hard to beat under Appleton. In a way, we will have bad performances or at least disjointed ones and what I think pleased Appleton is we got 3 points from this one. What I have noticed is the poorer teams try to break the game up which stops us flowing and we need to find a way around that as it is going to happen with a lot of teams we play in this division.
  • Options
    Apart from a two game run of defeats, we have become hard to beat under Appleton. In a way, we will have bad performances or at least disjointed ones and what I think pleased Appleton is we got 3 points from this one. What I have noticed is the poorer teams try to break the game up which stops us flowing and we need to find a way around that as it is going to happen with a lot of teams we play in this division.
    Yes, I think your last sentence is part of what MA was getting at when he talked about the win being his most pleasing one so far.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Very true, we used to be a pushover in some games, especially after going a goal down. We would basically give up. We are much harder to beat now. 

ed - I take this back. Worst post I ever wrote.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    We were dreadful today but we have been hard to beat. And I think the weakest areas are not that hard to see. A big one unfortunately is Ness (I hate saying it and it isn't fair playing the lad currently but we know what he can do) but he is a complete liability at the moment. I think playing him was Appleton's biggest mistake today. That was the aspect of the team that worried me before kick off. Today reminded me a bit of Lincoln  away were they were physical and had more desire. That was sort of addressed and in the short term it can be addressed again but we need to make changes and hope they fill the gaps that are clearly there in the squad and we have to hope and believe Appleton knows what is needed. I think he probably does.