Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town: Tuesday 28th November 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Very lucky.
  • Options
    Mixed bag:

Positives:

- The full backs are improving
    - Jones is an excellent player
    - Alfie May is the best striker in the league.

Negatives:

- Tedic is crap (Please let's get Kanu back before the weekend)
    - Our midfield looked slow and ponderous tonight
    - Alfie May is not a winger.

We won though so I can't quite grasp the full on hysteria.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Ok, I had more fun at the dentist last week than watching that BUT we did win and despite everyone knowing that our chances of being top 6 are dependant on either Chuks playing another 20 games(ain't happening) or 3 new players in January that are better than we have(very unlikely) and Dobson, CBT and May are still here until the end of season. See what you can achieve Andy Scott.

I'm normally quite chipper when we win even if it's ugly but the reality that we are a mid table team is even dawning on me, a person who can see light down the darkest tunnel.

Positives were the Left footed Left Back Edun. Alfie May who would score even if he played full back (No apples, only joking) and Jones and Hector just about managed to keep out the constant high balls into the box other that the goal for Alfie's EX.

We won but we are 4 points behind Lincoln who are 9th. We either need to recall just 19 year old Kanu, promote nearly 19 Casey as I don't understand how just 17 Mbick is on the bench ahead of Patrick or even Daniel who must surely be recalled now Leaburn is crocked again. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    we have scored 30 goals in 18 games so far this season. 

Out of those 30 goals 2 players have scored 20 of them - Alfie May & CBT. 
    Yeah and May has half of them. How lucky are we? Have you looked at the assist table as well as we have two players high up on that too!! Not to mention Charlton are like top 3 or 4 for home goals in the entire country in 2023! (we might even be near top including cups!) The Valley is the place to be for goals it’s awesome ain't it!
    You can’t argue with facts though. He’s not wrong
    i dunno... Golfie always loves to moan that we don't score enough. Now the issue has changed to "oh well its only because of two people" 
    What do you mean I dunno? Is he wrong? No he’s not 
    Oh come on, he wasn’t just stating fact he was trying to prove some point

fuckin hell, know the poster
    Nonsense. I have been on here long enough to know when someone is correct when what they are saying 
    the point was -  take the two top scorers out and we would be in trouble - but that is the case for literally every team in the top 10 of this league. Its a non point
    And also it’s not like you’d be playing with nine men. You’d have two other forwards in the squad who might be nearly as good. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

Yeah and May has half of them. How lucky are we? Have you looked at the assist table as well as we have two players high up on that too!! Not to mention Charlton are like top 3 or 4 for home goals in the entire country in 2023! (we might even be near top including cups!) The Valley is the place to be for goals it’s awesome ain't it!
    You can’t argue with facts though. He’s not wrong
    i dunno... Golfie always loves to moan that we don't score enough. Now the issue has changed to "oh well its only because of two people" 
    What do you mean I dunno? Is he wrong? No he’s not 
    Oh come on, he wasn’t just stating fact he was trying to prove some point

fuckin hell, know the poster
    Nonsense. I have been on here long enough to know when someone is correct when what they are saying 
    the point was -  take the two top scorers out and we would be in trouble - but that is the case for literally every team in the top 10 of this league. Its a non point
    And also it’s not like you’d be playing with nine men. You’d have two other forwards in the squad who might be nearly as good. 
    part of me does wonder if bringing back Kanu might be that under the prem radar break out player for us in the back end of the season if Leaburn goes/the injury tonight is rough.
  • Options
    Can't work out why MA has deviated from 4231 to 433, negates Alfie, though in its initial incarnation Chuks was the 1. Big decisions to be made now, Kanu being one, then what sort of side do we put out against Gills and Reading. 
  • Options
    Sometimes Skillful Londoners With a Soft Underbelly  2    Grabby Agricultural Yokels 1
  • Options
    Ok, I had more fun at the dentist last week than watching that BUT we did win and despite everyone knowing that our chances of being top 6 are dependant on either Chuks playing another 20 games(ain't happening) or 3 new players in January that are better than we have(very unlikely) and Dobson, CBT and May are still here until the end of season. See what you can achieve Andy Scott.

I'm normally quite chipper when we win even if it's ugly but the reality that we are a mid table team is even dawning on me, a person who can see light down the darkest tunnel.

Positives were the Left footed Left Back Edun. Alfie May who would score even if he played full back (No apples, only joking) and Jones and Hector just about managed to keep out the constant high balls into the box other that the goal for Alfie's EX.

We won but we are 4 points behind Lincoln who are 9th. We either need to recall just 19 year old Kanu, promote nearly 19 Casey as I don't understand how just 17 Mbick is on the bench ahead of Patrick or even Daniel who must surely be recalled now Leaburn is crocked again. 
    We have 2 games in hand on Lincoln. Not that I consider them top 6 material anyway. The gap to Barnsley in 7th is 5 points, to Derby in 6th 7 points. Plenty of time to close the gap, but it won't happen unless we can start keeping clean sheets, making the January window crucial.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't work out why MA has deviated from 4231 to 433, negates Alfie, though in its initial incarnation Chuks was the 1. Big decisions to be made now, Kanu being one, then what sort of side do we put out against Gills and Reading. 

Over the season Alfie May has failed to score more times when he was the number 9 than number 10 or on the right of the central striker because he naturally moves to the middle anyway when possible.
    Chuks is the one and only player who can play the 1 up front for Cafc because of his strength.
    Miles maybe one day but he still gets bullied by CB'S.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Can we please play the best goalscorer in rhe division up front.
    Not wide 
    Not in an AM role
    But through the middle
    With Leaburn.... oh
    With Aneke..... oh

Ffs!

Tedic isn't the answer

Tyreece and CBT wide
    Alfie through the middle
    Louis Watson central

McGrandles.... I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt due to injuries but he simply isn't good enough.

Jones is fast becoming my favourite defender
    Hector my least favourite.

Agree with all of this.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Attacking players score goals shocker 
    Sorry, I was going to add more but got disturbed by Golfie Jnr coming back in from the game.

I was going to add that we'd better hope that May stays fit over the next couple of months & that CBT isn't off in January otherwise we are f*cked because no one else in the team looks like scoring. And facts back that up.
  • Options
    follett said:
    Surprised at the reaction. Didn’t think we were great by any stretch but didn’t think we were any worse than normal. Again, a lot of chances created but not taken - story of our season 
    Story of the last 4 seasons 
  • Options
    That was the worst internet connection ever. I couldn’t follow the match as it kept stopping/buffing. It restarted and I saw Alfie had just scored the winner. Switched it off. Looks like the match was similar. 
  • Options
    Tedic is the worst player I have seen in a Charlton shirt for many years. He would give Ralph Milne a run for his money. He cant head ( doesn’t fancy the physical bit) , cant shoot , has no pace , gives away needless fouls, falls over repeatedly and claims a foul whilst everyone else plays on while he lies on the ground moaning - oh and he missed a sitter from 5 yds out. 
    And did a great turn and shot producing a great save from the keeper.

I'm not saying he is our Harry Kane and if I do the player marks, I'm giving him a 5 but surely if you analyse him in that detail, you consider the positive 
  • Options
    Haven't seen the handball for the second penalty so can't comment on it being a poor decision or not, but clear penalty for handball by the 6 in the first half wasn't given.  That would have put us 2-1 up at half-time and left them chasing the game for 45 minutes.  So, a shockingly bad referee could have cost us two points but we were rescued by a linesman who wasn't much better than the ref.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AMB looked more confident with crosses last night and his distribution is improving - still a bit slow at times.

No idea what happened to the marking for their goal?
  • Options
    We're a mid table league one team, the players, manager and attendance reflect that. I pray these new owners spend a few quid in January to bolster the ranks but we all know we will get a couple of no mark loans in that have zero effect on the team. If you're CBT and Dobson are you signing  new contract? 
  • Options
    If we don’t make the playoff it’ll be because of our back 5

Hector is a joke of a player and I’m rapidly losing faith in the keeper

thank fuck for Alfie 

how does McGrandles keep Watson out of the side - laughable 
    What did Maynard-Brewer do wrong tonight?
    Should’ve come for their goal. Yes it was a good cross, but he’s hit it from 40 yards away and the fella who scored was inside our 6 yard box….granted the CB’s did absolutely nothing to help him but a ball that travels that far has to be read better by the keeper 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Sometimes Skillful Londoners With a Soft Underbelly  2    Grabby Agricultural Yokels 1
    Worst swingers party billing ever.
  • Options
    Not the greatest of games or performances.

Cherltenham had a game plan. Get it forward early, hope for a throw in, free kick or corner. Fair enough - they play to their strengths and they had plenty of opportunity to put us under some pressure without looking convincing.

Us? Some periods of decent play. We look better when we play with urgency and get the ball into feet quickly. We have the players to do it and it creates opportunities. Edun, Jones, Dobson and May were our better players. Whilst there has been a mini resurgence for McGrandles, he doesn't have one stand out quality that makes him a starter - certainly not above Watson who I thought had struck up a decent relationship with Dobson in midfield.

Having Tedic as a focal point now concerns me. There are a few nice touches and linking of play but he doesn't put away the chances he should. I think Kanu should be recalled.

All in all we'll take the win but I can't see this squad getting us any higher up the table.
  • Options
    3 points is 3 points,no matter who you play or how you play,or how you get them.Bottom teams will come to the top teams and fight for their lives,do we honestly think that just because we are higher in the table,these teams are going to roll over,and let us run all over them.Other than Bolton,who will piss the league,I dont think the difference between top and bottom is that great,I expect plenty more games like this on our march to the top 6.
  • Options
    I think this came up a couple of weeks back , but Tedic really does remind me of George Tucudean. Shocked he's been on City's books for so long , I know they've got the financial muscle that someone like Tedic is a cheap gamble but wow. 

Also Chem Campbell must be absolutely awful in training or something not to even be involved ATM. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    What happened towards the end of the game, the ref went over to the touch line and appeared to give the 4th official a yellow card?

Didn’t he also wave his card at the bench / May ( who was the last player in the vicinity and still hadn’t gone back to his own half for the restart after the second goal). ?