Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town: Tuesday 28th November 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Nobody could accuse Cheltenham of playing out from the back. 

They signalled their intent at K.O. with a nigh on vertical ball and thereafter kept the ball airborne for as long as possible.  Their goalie took the free kicks (up to the half way line) and fair play to him - he delivered perfect range and height - pretty much most of the game.  They created several chances within the game.  They reminded me of a poor man's John Beck's Cambridge United.  
    Our (superior but unconvincing) players struggled to cope and that's what worries me.  Despite the poor performance we are better than Cheltenham Town, but will we be there at the end of the season?  I doubt it  :/
    Being better than Cheltenham Town isn't much of a yardstick.

We lost to them at home the last 2 seasons and drew away so 3 points is a big improvement no matter how they came
  • Options
    What happened towards the end of the game, the ref went over to the touch line and appeared to give the 4th official a yellow card?

It looked like he gave the card to a spectator!
  • Options
    we have scored 30 goals in 18 games so far this season. 

Out of those 30 goals 2 players have scored 20 of them - Alfie May & CBT. 
    So? Pretty sure you always used to moan we didn't have a top striker to score all our goals and now we do. Worry about our lack of clean sheets rather than who is banging them in.
  • Options
    Not an easy watch ad I don't think the winner was a pen but a win is a win.
  • Options
    A hard, cold watch but 3 points nonetheless. We should of won by a better margin and been more dominate but thats football. You never know what you are going to get unless you are a top top team. 
    At least we are no longer losing on a regular basis, Apples, to me has steadied the boat and hopefully we can push on after Christmas. I'm always optimistic after a win no matter how we got it. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    We really need to get better at crossing and corners. That ball for their first was an absolute peach and a lesson for how effective a good cross can be if it is attacked properly.

We seem to get so many corners and they always end up being a pointless ball into the box that is either too close to the keeper or a decent ball that our players simply don't attack. Crowd's don't like them, but with the players we have, we may as well start playing them short more consistently as we can at least create more of a threat from that.
    We are very poor in regards corners. Not just attacking them but defending them too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love my Charlton but boy was that a difficult to enjoy performance, even with a win!

Never seen the West and North looking so empty. The sparse crowd, zero atmosphere and turgid performance for much of the game gave the impression of a club that is rapidly on slide to obscurity. 

But we eeked out 3 points and we limp on. 

I keep hoping ‘we’re gonna go on a run’ soon, but the continued unimpressive performances have me wondering if it’s going to happen. There’s nothing there at the moment that suggests we are going to outperform half a dozen sides currently ahead of us in the table. 

And it was effing freezing!
  • Options
    Tedic is the worst player I have seen in a Charlton shirt for many years. He would give Ralph Milne a run for his money. He cant head ( doesn’t fancy the physical bit) , cant shoot , has no pace , gives away needless fouls, falls over repeatedly and claims a foul whilst everyone else plays on while he lies on the ground moaning - oh and he missed a sitter from 5 yds out. 
    He was actually looking alright until the miss. Whether that knocked his confidence I don't know but was woeful from then on. Concerning if he's leading the line for any amount of time. 
  • Options
    Shame that we had to work the Goalkeeper in quick succession too in the First Half - Those were neat saves he made from Tedic, and then Tennai Watson

No doubt the argument would be we should have done it more, but I'd prefer a disappointed Goalkeeper than a well worked one - Could have changed the complexion of the game had we scored any of those @ 1-1, or were we still losing at that point, I cant remember.

Would have done wonders for Tedic had he scored that tap in, he looked up for it when he came on, but his confidence unsurprisingly just disappeared after that miss... It happens, no Striker will score every chance.

Surprises me that people think Appleton's comments are for the fans
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I think the miss looked worse in real time than on a replay later. He should still have scored but I have seen worse.

What teams do (even Cray did it with success) is try to make the game bitty and disrupt our flow. We need to find a way to counter that.
  • Options
    I feel totally conflicted about that game. Good to win from behind and good to create so many chances but I'm not sure we looked like we'd ever score from open play. I know we created the chances but the final finish wasn't there and if it wasn't for 2 rubbish pieces of defending for the pens I'm not sure we win that. That said, you need to win even when it's unconvincing so I'm satisfied on the whole
  • Options
    Apart from Cheltenham goal, decent first half - 2nd half was an awful watch - 3 points very welcome

BUT stop playing Alfie out wide - it’s weird - he is better playing down the middle in the hole

Play like we did 2nd half, Gills on Saturday is gonna be a dodgy watch…..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Enjoyed the first half, but the second was a very difficult watch. Seemed a lack of urgency when we really should have been pressing for a win, lucky to be gifted a penalty near the end. Very impressed with Edun, really wanted Tedic to do well but he looked slow and unable to win a header. Don't quite get the hype over Leaburn, but with him out as well, we definitely need another decent striker in January. We seem to very nearly be a decent side, but are just lacking something. Hope Appleton can sort it, but not overly impressed by his post match comments.  Yes we dug out a win, but only via a dubious penalty and we were at home to Cheltenham.
  • Options
    Poor game but we got the win from 2 definite penalties which seemed to be the only decisions we got all night from the ref and AC stand Lino.

Agree with a lot of the above comments as Cheltenham came to spoil the game and they were helped by the crap ref who let a number of their players wrestle ours onto the floor without giving us any free kicks.

Thought our 2 full backs had decent games and gave us attacking options & starting to look a lot fitter.

Well done to Alfie for scoring the two pens (the keeper was close to saving both having seen the highlights) and for the effort that he puts in all game.

Our midfield weren’t on their game tonight but kept trying. 

Tedic will get a run of games now so let’s hope he comes good.
  • Options
    If we don’t make the playoff it’ll be because of our back 5

Hector is a joke of a player and I’m rapidly losing faith in the keeper

thank fuck for Alfie 

how does McGrandles keep Watson out of the side - laughable 
    What did Maynard-Brewer do wrong tonight?
    Should’ve come for their goal. Yes it was a good cross, but he’s hit it from 40 yards away and the fella who scored was inside our 6 yard box….granted the CB’s did absolutely nothing to help him but a ball that travels that far has to be read better by the keeper 
    I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one!

It was simply a brilliant cross. No way could Maynard-Brewer have come for that. And interestingly neither Curbs or Brown in the studio offered the slightest bit of criticism towards Maynard-Brewer for the goal.
  • Options
    Tedic is the worst player I have seen in a Charlton shirt for many years. He would give Ralph Milne a run for his money. He cant head ( doesn’t fancy the physical bit) , cant shoot , has no pace , gives away needless fouls, falls over repeatedly and claims a foul whilst everyone else plays on while he lies on the ground moaning - oh and he missed a sitter from 5 yds out. 
    And did a great turn and shot producing a great save from the keeper.

I'm not saying he is our Harry Kane and if I do the player marks, I'm giving him a 5 but surely if you analyse him in that detail, you consider the positive 
    I agree with you. Another inconvenient truth is that he came on and within about three minutes put in two better direct shots on goal than Miles had done the whole of the match. The miss in the second half was bad, but it was also the miss of a player who has had hardly any game time recently, and the game time he has had has been out on the wing. When he first played, he came on and put himself about a bit too. We were a mess then, and that part of his game has disappeared.

It's ridiculous to call him a "bad player". He's a Serbian U21 international as well as a Man City player. Serbian players do tend to be inconsistent (the whole national team regularly breaks their citizens' hearts, a good mate of mine being one of them) and may not be generally well suited to the English game..or English managers. Well now Appleton has a management challenge on his hands for the next few weeks, doesn't he.

As for the rest I am still completely baffled by Appleton's decision to play at Carlisle with hardly any subs, and then put the same XI out on Tuesday. In the event I thought Fraser was OK, and it was McG who was off the pace, but either way not starting Louie Watson was baffling. All that said, I understood his post-match comments perfectly well, and more to the point, so did Curbs and Brownie.
  • Options
    It’s time to start Louie Watson and Tyreece Campbell. 
  • Options
    A win is a win but blimey that was tough to watch. All 4 defenders are lower league 1 level. Can’t see these owners spending enough to make any significant improvements in January unless one of Dobson, CBT or Leaburn are sold. Dobson is the most likely in Jan I think. 

The worst part for me is what a ‘beige’ club we have become over the years. Atmosphere was awful and apart from one or two, players seem to have no feeling for the club and I think the fans sense that. Thank God for Alfie May.
  • Options
    If we don’t make the playoff it’ll be because of our back 5

Hector is a joke of a player and I’m rapidly losing faith in the keeper

thank fuck for Alfie 

how does McGrandles keep Watson out of the side - laughable 
    What did Maynard-Brewer do wrong tonight?
    Should’ve come for their goal. Yes it was a good cross, but he’s hit it from 40 yards away and the fella who scored was inside our 6 yard box….granted the CB’s did absolutely nothing to help him but a ball that travels that far has to be read better by the keeper 
    I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one!

It was simply a brilliant cross. No way could Maynard-Brewer have come for that. And interestingly neither Curbs or Brown in the studio offered the slightest bit of criticism towards Maynard-Brewer for the goal.
    Yep. As I just said on the Hector thread, it was pretty much undefendable - we have an abused an insane fanbase who instantly need multiple people to blame for anything that goes against us. Sometimes a guy simply hits the best cross he'll ever hit in his career, it happens.