Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town: Tuesday 28th November 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Tedic miss was a shocker. May usual hardworking performance. Louis Watson gave us a better shape when he came on.
    Still a win is a win. Cant see anything other than mid-table, too inconsistent.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    Valley11 said:
    Probably not the place for it but have a look at Barnsley’s winner from last night…
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/13018586/barnsley-1-0-wycombe-wanderers-league-one-highlights
    How did the referee allow that?

The keeper had both hands on the ball. 
    The striker pushed the keeper over with both hands. 

No attempt by the striker to play the ball .... and anyway, the keeper had both hands on the ball.

The days of the 'Lion of Vienna' were 70 years ago.
    I've never seen any striker get away with that in modern times. 

Blimey Oggy, you might want to watch that one again... Even the Wycombe fans are blaming the goalie.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Valley11 said:
    Probably not the place for it but have a look at Barnsley’s winner from last night…
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/13018586/barnsley-1-0-wycombe-wanderers-league-one-highlights

No attempt by the striker to play the ball .... and anyway, the keeper had both hands on the ball.

Speechless.   
  • Options
    barstool said:
    Cheltenham had won 2 and drawn 1 coming into last night so did have some form and confidence so maybe the supporters should appreciate that 
    Comes to something when we are bigging up the team rank bottom of L1 and six points from safety already 
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    I thought we were OK, which is not a compliment OK is only good enough for mid table. Yes we were unluckywith luck 2 or 3 more could have gone in. But we really lack incisiveness, whether it be upfront or in midfield.

Nobody was a 3 or 4 but nobody was a 7 or 8.

For personal reasons I've missed quite a few games this season, unfortunately they gave been the good performances and I've just picked up crap performances, this was jyst another.
    Have you considered the possibility you're a jinx Kap? ;)
  • Options
    Nice video @Braziliance. I like your geezer commentary too - don't tone it down once Sky/TNT approach you!

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Valley11 said:

Blimey Oggy, you might want to watch that one again... Even the Wycombe fans are blaming the goalie.

serves the keeper right for going down like a sack of dead spuds and wasting time .. keepers get far too much protection nowadays, good to see a return to 'old fashioned values', and only paying 2/6d for a programme lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Certainly a game where the result was far more important than the performance. Cheltenham employed somewhat unusual but effective tactics against the Addicks with aerial bombardments launched into our box most of which were repelled repeatedly. The use of their goalkeeper launching balls into the box from free kicks on the halfway line was also a novel approach. Don’t think I’ve ever witnessed that before. I was fully expecting Alfie to pick up a loose ball and score into an empty net from 40 yards. Alfie is fast becoming a cult hero and long May he continue 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Nice video @Braziliance. I like your geezer commentary too - don't tone it down once Sky/TNT approach you!

Thank you mate appreciate that :) 

I don't imagine ever changing how I speak tbf so not to worry there, glad you enjoyed it! 
  • Options
    Looking at that video of the Barnsley goal last night, if that was Kirk, he would probably put it over the bar...🙄
  • Options
    Looking at that video of the Barnsley goal last night, if that was Kirk, he would probably put it over the bar...🙄
    He'd have fallen over as well
  • Options
    2 pairs of socks, summer & winter so not too bulky & trainers. 
    Pants, Long johns & jeans.
    T shirt, shirt, jumper, parka. 
    Gloves, scarf & wooly hat.
    I was quite warm  :D
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/VU8z-AA4X0E?si=hsRku7yoEKEAwwtA

Latest up, worth a watch, a magic trick is performed, I interviewed my largest group of people and a Cheltenham fan said I look like Derek Hales..hope you enjoy 
    Nice vlog Braziliance. Always enjoy these especially the pre match conversations and of course the real fan emotions that you display. In the words of Alan Partridge, lovely stuff! UTA.
  • Options
    Give Tedic a chance,he hs hardly played,he might surprise us all with regular football
    I give all our players a chance and support them all, but he looks to me a technically good footballer short of confidence and with no clear natural position. 

He’s no pace so he’s naturally facing backwards player, but he isn’t particularly great at holding the ball up and bringing others in from what I’ve seen so far. Watch him the next time a ball is launched towards him; his whole focus is arms back, looking and reaching around to find the defender, drawing him in tight and then try to win a free kick with exaggerated movement. 

Perhaps he just needs more football and confidence will grow, but I’ve not much confidence in him at all from I’ve seen so far. 
    Yes he looks off the pace at the moment,but he came on in the freezing cold into a team which was playing poorly.We must remember Alfie May did not score from open play until 5-6 games in and now he is on a run,it only takes a spark to start things off and get confidence growing.I cite Mcgrandles,we all had doubts ,now he is in the team and doing better every game.
  • Options
    Give Tedic a chance,he hs hardly played,he might surprise us all with regular football
    I give all our players a chance and support them all, but he looks to me a technically good footballer short of confidence and with no clear natural position. 

He’s no pace so he’s naturally facing backwards player, but he isn’t particularly great at holding the ball up and bringing others in from what I’ve seen so far. Watch him the next time a ball is launched towards him; his whole focus is arms back, looking and reaching around to find the defender, drawing him in tight and then try to win a free kick with exaggerated movement. 

Perhaps he just needs more football and confidence will grow, but I’ve not much confidence in him at all from I’ve seen so far. 
    Yes he looks off the pace at the moment,but he came on in the freezing cold into a team which was playing poorly.We must remember Alfie May did not score from open play until 5-6 games in and now he is on a run,it only takes a spark to start things off and get confidence growing.I cite Mcgrandles,we all had doubts ,now he is in the team and doing better every game.
    McGrandles was poor on Tuesday
    He's a workhorse 
    Not great technically
    Doesn't win as many balls as Dobson
    Can't use it like Watson
    Not sure he is what we need.  Remain unconvinced of his qualities.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

McGrandles was poor on Tuesday
    He's a workhorse 
    Not great technically
    Doesn't win as many balls as Dobson
    Can't use it like Watson
    Not sure he is what we need.  Remain unconvinced of his qualities.
    L1 is his level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think signing a high quality midfielder in January (plus a striker and maybe a centre back) would revitalise our season. 
    But sadly, as every year, I doubt it will happen. 
  • Options
    Very nice vlog Braziliance. As you say the Chelenham fans were very decent.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/VU8z-AA4X0E?si=hsRku7yoEKEAwwtA

Latest up, worth a watch, a magic trick is performed, I interviewed my largest group of people and a Cheltenham fan said I look like Derek Hales..hope you enjoy.

Excellent watch, keep the good work up. Hope you're doing the Gillingham cup match this saturday. 

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Their goal:

Another observation to the goal that I've only just spotted

Why is Dobson (?) marking Jones so tightly? - Or is it the other way round

If he's closer to the crosser... there are three options for the man on the ball

Out wide to the right, and Edun can mark him - Tries a through ball to the bloke between Hector and Jones, and the latter can potentially cut out the pass. - Passes to the right, and Fraser / McGrandles can deal with him
    Could AMB come for the cross ?
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Croydon said:
    Their goal:

If he's closer to the crosser... there are three options for the man on the ball

Out wide to the right, and Edun can mark him - Tries a through ball to the bloke between Hector and Jones, and the latter can potentially cut out the pass. - Passes to the right, and Fraser / McGrandles can deal with him
    I was focusing on the fact that had we closed down the initial cross, neither Defenders nor Goalkeeper (Given those two have been getting the most blame) should have had anything to worry about.

The amount of room the bloke with the assist is in... Is criminal in itself.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Croydon said:
    Their goal:

I was focusing on the fact that had we closed down the initial cross, neither Defenders nor Goalkeeper (Given those two have been getting the most blame) should have had anything to worry about.

The amount of room the bloke with the assist is in... Is criminal in itself.
    I don't think he had time to come for the cross...... he took a step or two back to protect his goal so he didn't get caught out by the cross/shot going over/behind him....... when the cross came in it was hit quite hard and I don't think had time to get there......?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    We have goals in the team. The probem is the midfield and defence largely absolve themselves of the responsibility of getting any of them. Full backs, I want assists and accept they may not score. Central defenders need to get a few each and midfielders 5 plus each. 
  • Options
    Our terrible set pieces really hurt us over the course of a season. We don't look threatening at all from dead-ball situations.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I think signing a high quality midfielder in January (plus a striker and maybe a centre back) would revitalise our season. 
    But sadly, as every year, I doubt it will happen. 
    I think Camara and/or Taylor have the ability to be that/those midfielder(s). I think that because we didn't see a lot of them we underestimate how much they are missed. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    If I didnt see it with my own eyes then judging by this forum, Id have thought we lost! 

Cheltenham dug in and had a game plan and have been on an okay run of form though yes, still in bottom 3. They were physical, well organised and made life very difficult. They beat an Oxford team in form for starters. 

We had chances to get in front. Not many clear cut chances but we did have them. I thought Tedic done well and should have scored. 

It cant always be clear and concise when winning. We had to dig and keep going and we got the win. I'm still not sure why MA gets so much hate. We finally have a team that will keep going until the end and will grind out results when needed. Havent seen a Charlton team like that in a long time. 

Take it easy, we got 3 points.
    Yeah I finally had a chance to watch the match and this was my feeling as well. 

We were far and away the better team, we had some good chances, and we played pretty well. Their goal is a bit frustrating from 10A, but also you could give Sercombe-incision (see what I did there?) 10 chances at that and I think the keeper claims or defender heads away eight or nine of them. I've been critical of us not closing crosses down enough this season, but sometimes you dare a player to play a brilliant ball.

If Saturday was two points dropped where we played well and didn't get the second, Tuesday was a game where we didn't play as well and we did get the second. And that's what we need to do to get promoted. 

Also, I like the look of Tedic. He's got some physicality, but he's mobile, has a decent touch, and his movement is really good. This is the longest he's played as a CF in the league and I'd guess that one match is more than he's played at CF in the league the rest of the year. Obviously hope Miles is back soon, but I wouldn't write off Tedic based on his games on the RW and the one against Cray Valley. I think there's a player there.