Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town: Tuesday 28th November 2023 | KO 19:45

Cheltenham visited the Valley rooted to the bottom of the table and facing their former talisman striker Alfie May. This was not a classic affair and nothing of note will live long in anyone’s memory. Cheltenham were strong and direct, keeping mostly organised behind the ball and were the first to score, launching a counter attack that resulted in a leaping header and a befuddled Valley. Not long after, a lapse in concentration gifted Charlton a penalty when Miles Leaburn was needlessly hacked down in the box. Alfie May dispatched the penalty to level things up. Unfortunately, that was the last of young Miles’ contribution as he limped off with a leg injury after landing awkwardly from a reaching challenge. Charlton had opportunities, mainly through Corey Blackett-Taylor, but couldn’t manage the necessary breakthrough.

Charlton started the second half slowly and looked to be going nowhere slowly. Suffice to say, Cheltenham gifted us another, somewhat more dubious penalty when the ball hit a defenders upheld arm. Alfie May stepped up again to fire us into the lead. 

Charlton had the best of chances but once again failed to capitalise. Coupled with routine defensive frailties, it’s not good enough. Still, the three points are welcome, if laboured, and we’re still in with an outside chance of scraping the playoffs. 

Charlton 2 Cheltenham 1

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    All sounds a bit streaky 
  • Options
    Doesn't sound the best performance ever but 3 points are 3 points. Much needed and appreciated.
  • Options
    17 goals in all competitions for May now is it? 

Him and CBT are gonna drag this team kicking and screaming to the play offs at this rate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Doesn't sound the best performance ever but 3 points are 3 points. Much needed and appreciated.
    Not what Appleton thinks.

Describes it as the best victory by far under his reign.

Deluded

• Options
    Appleton "best win since I've been here by a distance"
    Laughing at Appleton not you Callum, btw!

That was terrible!
  • Options
    Appleton "best win since I've been here by a distance"
    If that's so then he's gone down even further in my estimation and I don't rate him much!
  • Options

Him and CBT are gonna drag this team kicking and screaming to the play offs at this rate
    Keep us out of the bottom 4 you mean!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

no, I mean play offs - Saturday showed you can play well and still not win. Playing badly and winning is better. We are a 4-10th team not Man City, e aren't going to win every game we deserve and we aren't going to lose every game we deserve either, we are consistently picking up points and that is what counts for a play off team
  • Options
    Laughable penalty at the end. Would be gutted if I was a Cheltenham Town fan
  • Options
    a wins a win but we really need to be better 
  • Options

no, I mean play offs - Saturday showed you can play well and still not win. Playing badly and winning is better. We are a 4-10th team not Man City, e aren't going to win every game we deserve and we aren't going to lose every game we deserve either, we are consistently picking up points and that is what counts for a play off team
    2 wins in the last 7 before today.