Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town: Tuesday 28th November 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Awful. If anyone defends that they need to have a word with themselves.

Bottom of the league team, we win with two penalties due to a terrible tackle and a handball with their keeper having no saves to make. The League's top scorer marooned on the wing. 

Appleton out. Rubbish. 
    Not quite.
    Their keeper made three decent stops. One from Tedic in the first half and then from Watson.
    He also saved with his legs from CBT in the second half. 
    And CBT hit the post 
  • Options
    17 goals in all competitions for May now is it? 

Him and CBT are gonna drag this team kicking and screaming to the play offs at this rate
    Keep us out of the bottom 4 you mean!
    no, I mean play offs - Saturday showed you can play well and still not win. Playing badly and winning is better. We are a 4-10th team not Man City, e aren't going to win every game we deserve and we aren't going to lose every game we deserve either, we are consistently picking up points and that is what counts for a play off team
    2 wins in the last 7 before today. 
    2 defeats in 13 as well
    Getting draws doesn't lead to play offs. 
    we won tonight in case you missed it
    We played against a team with 12 losses from 18 games and struggled. It doesn't scream play-offs. 
    Did we struggle? It wasn't dominant but how many clear cut chances did Cheltenham have other than the goal?

how many did we have?

we didn't struggle. We definitely were not at the races tonight but we didn't look threatened. Another 3 points and that's all I care about
    Struggled in the sense of winning the game. We couldn't finish any chances we created and relied on two penalties to save the day. 

I don't think we were in much danger of losing but if the penalty wasn't given we weren't scoring from open play. 
  • Options
    Surprised at the reaction. Didn’t think we were great by any stretch but didn’t think we were any worse than normal. Again, a lot of chances created but not taken - story of our season 
  • Options
    Almost a disaster from last 2 games, thank goodness for Alfie tonight, as 2 points would have been abysmal from Carlisle and Cheltenham games. 

We have to pick up 6 points from the 2 games in hand we have on Lincoln, Blackpool, and Stevenage. If we do that, let’s see what the other sides around have picked up at same time. 

It’s great not to be losing too many, but we must stop the win draw win pattern, and go on a proper winning run of games. 
    Win, draw, win would get us into the play-offs comfortably imo. 

The issue is the win, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, win that we are currently doing. 
    its 6 wins and 5 draws 2 defeats in that 13 so that isn't the sequence in reality is it

but sure if that is what you want to say it is.
    In the last 6 games we've won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2. 

But cherry pick 13 why not. 
    i'm cherry picking nothing. i'm looking at Charlton under MA which I think is a fair measure

You can't "cherry pick" 13 but he can "cherry pick" 6. Thems the rules.
    One looks at form, one finishes the moment the losses rack up  :D 

What's clear is that MA enjoyed a new manager bounce that every manager gets here and is now reverting back to the mean. Like the last 8 managers we've had in the past 4 years. 
    no... one starts when Michale Appl.... aah forget it you believe what you like... jeez. You do you SELR 
  • Options
    If we don’t make the playoff it’ll be because of our back 5

Hector is a joke of a player and I’m rapidly losing faith in the keeper

thank fuck for Alfie 

how does McGrandles keep Watson out of the side - laughable 
    What did the keeper do wrong tonight? He couldn't do much about the goal! He came for crosses! He could have got rid of the ball quicker but that's it!
    Maynard Brewer is a young player who will have to learn that he has a job in help marshalling the defenders in front of him, that will come in time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t win them all pretty, take the three points all day. Cheltenham had a game plan to disrupt our play and pressed us most of the game. We had chances and should have been ahead, not sure why some are calling for Appleton to be sacked or going on like we lost?! 
  • Options
    Awful. If anyone defends that they need to have a word with themselves.

Bottom of the league team, we win with two penalties due to a terrible tackle and a handball with their keeper having no saves to make. The League's top scorer marooned on the wing. 

Appleton out. Rubbish. 
    I'll defend it!

cheltenham 1 shot one goal

charlton 2 pens, 2 goals, the most blatant not given. We hit the post and their goal keeper made one routine save and two very good ones

it wasn't great, it wasn't pretty but we deserved the three points.

im not an Appleton fan, far from it. But he has holdens squad and is picking up points and keeping us in touch. Let's see what happens in january
    He does now Leaburn is out. He does have Tedic which Holden didn't have for all of August but on tonights performance that is not much help. 

I don't think much of Kanu but I expect we'll have to recall him if Leaburn's injury is a bad as it looked. There is the 2 young lads but they haven't played any senior football & I wouldn't like to throw them in against Barnsley and a couple of home games where it could get rowdy if we are losing against Cambridge or Burton. 
  • Options
    Forgot too how more challenging it is to piss while wearing long johns :-( 
    I know. The opening is small and the object passing through the small hole isn't. I struggled!!!
  • Options
    AMB might aswell choose to stay on his line all game. He usually causes an issue or it leads to no benefit when he charges out into no-man's land.
  • Options
    The unbeaten run continues.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    This is Charlton, we can spot Manager bullshit, faster than any other fans in the EFL.  Appleton, give us a top six side or FUCK OFF an let the next twat on the list give it a go…… Our tolerance and patience levels for shit inept performance is pretty low….., 
  • Options
    Forgot too how more challenging it is to piss while wearing long johns :-( 
    And wearing gloves 😁
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    🤣 only Charlton fans have tear up after 3 points 

posted before edit.
  • Options
    Nobody could accuse Cheltenham of playing out from the back. 

They signalled their intent at K.O. with a nigh on vertical ball and thereafter kept the ball airborne for as long as possible.  Their goalie took the free kicks (up to the half way line) and fair play to him - he delivered perfect range and height - pretty much most of the game.  They created several chances within the game.  They reminded me of a poor man's John Beck's Cambridge United.  

Our (superior but unconvincing) players struggled to cope and that's what worries me.  Despite the poor performance we are better than Cheltenham Town, but will we be there at the end of the season?  I doubt it  :/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Exceeded my expectations as I predicted a scrappy draw. It causes me no problem at all to be proved wrong again as I'm always delighted when we win, regardless of how silly it makes me look with my forecasts.
  • Options
    I thought we were OK, which is not a compliment OK is only good enough for mid table. Yes we were unluckywith luck 2 or 3 more could have gone in. But we really lack incisiveness, whether it be upfront or in midfield.

Nobody was a 3 or 4 but nobody was a 7 or 8.

For personal reasons I've missed quite a few games this season, unfortunately they gave been the good performances and I've just picked up crap performances, this was jyst another.
  • Options
    we have scored 30 goals in 18 games so far this season. 

Out of those 30 goals 2 players have scored 20 of them - Alfie May & CBT. 
  • Options
    Tomorrow’s fish and chip wrappings will say a 2-1 win but after that it goes in the bin with the rest of the rubbish 
  • Options
    Fraser stealing a living now. 
    No tackles, hardly any passes, and hiding in the game on a Charlie Kirk scale. 

Start Louie for a few games.