Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town: Tuesday 28th November 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    17 goals in all competitions for May now is it? 

Him and CBT are gonna drag this team kicking and screaming to the play offs at this rate
    Keep us out of the bottom 4 you mean!
    no, I mean play offs - Saturday showed you can play well and still not win. Playing badly and winning is better. We are a 4-10th team not Man City, e aren't going to win every game we deserve and we aren't going to lose every game we deserve either, we are consistently picking up points and that is what counts for a play off team
    2 wins in the last 7 before today. 
    2 defeats in 13 as well
    Getting draws doesn't lead to play offs. 
  • Options
    May "the gaffer told us that even if that ended 1-1, we should've won ... like Carlisle we should've won 3 or 4-1"
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    It wasn’t a classic, it wasn’t pretty but 3 points is 3 points, Rodney
  • Options
    Did we not even move up in the league? Probably the flattest I have ever seen the forum after a win! 

We ground it out but feel every bit a 8th - 12th kind of team.
    No....and still 7 points off the play offs.

Funny that....imagine good teams winning all the time 🤔😄.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Positives….we won.

negatives, just about everything else.

Our midfield is powder puff.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Him and CBT are gonna drag this team kicking and screaming to the play offs at this rate
    no, I mean play offs - Saturday showed you can play well and still not win. Playing badly and winning is better. We are a 4-10th team not Man City, e aren't going to win every game we deserve and we aren't going to lose every game we deserve either, we are consistently picking up points and that is what counts for a play off team
    2 defeats in 13 as well
    we won tonight in case you missed it
    We played against a team with 12 losses from 18 games and struggled. It doesn't scream play-offs. 
    winning and 2 defeats in 13 does which was my point
  • Options
    Four points from two games, do that as an average over the season then there is a good chance of the play offs. We deserved that win, no it wasn't pretty or fluid but it didn't help losing Leaburn and there was some tired performances but we won and deserved to.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously happy with the 3 points but we really aren’t going anywhere. Pure mid-table stuff.
  • Options

2 defeats in 13 as well
    We played against a team with 12 losses from 18 games and struggled. It doesn't scream play-offs. 
    7 points from play offs and in the form table we are......10th. 

We aren't getting play-offs is my point. We aren't good enough. 
  • Options

This.

As I said on the match thread. Last season we were saved mainly by JRS although CBT did his bit too.

This season its CBT & May. Without their goals we would be in serious trouble. Who else has a scored in the last 6-8 league games..... Mcgrandels ? Leaburn ? 

Woeful. 

And if anything happens to May before January we are in real shit as Tedic looks like he's got his boots on the wrong feet. 
  • Options
    Bit of a struggle but three lovely points.
  • Options

2 defeats in 13 as well

See what happens in January
  • Options
    Bailey said:

2 defeats in 13 as well

See what happens in January
    Leaburn and CBT go? 
  • Options

2 defeats in 13 as well

ok well I will agree to disagree, you don't get extra points for playing well, you get points by grinding out results even when you aren't. That has been an issue in the last two seasons - we have had 3 come from behind wins this season already - we went about 2 years without even one. That is a positive to me. You can play down the performance but you can't play down the result.

but as i say, agree to disagree
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Almost a disaster from last 2 games, thank goodness for Alfie tonight, as 2 points would have been abysmal from Carlisle and Cheltenham games. 

We have to pick up 6 points from the 2 games in hand we have on Lincoln, Blackpool, and Stevenage. If we do that, let’s see what the other sides around have picked up at same time. 

It’s great not to be losing too many, but we must stop the win draw win pattern, and go on a proper winning run of games. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    3 points is a positive but winning against the bottom team through two penalties is nothing to be proud of.

Thankfully their front line is dreadful as I think they had 3-4 clear headers on top of the header they scored with and missed the target on all of them.  Our defense was a shambles and if we were playing a vaguely competent attacking outfit we would have lost comfortably.  

Tedic was woeful when he came on, offside, missed a sitter, fell over and was bullied.  If we are giving youth a chance we have M'bick and Casey to try.  No Leaburn or Aneke for an extended period is a big issue.

Anyway, we stay roughly in touch of playoffs with January 5-6 games away. No room for error in December.
  • Options
    Watson has to start going forward. If miles is out for an extended period we could be in trouble as Tedic looks pony.
  • Options
    Almost a disaster from last 2 games, thank goodness for Alfie tonight, as 2 points would have been abysmal from Carlisle and Cheltenham games. 

We have to pick up 6 points from the 2 games in hand we have on Lincoln, Blackpool, and Stevenage. If we do that, let’s see what the other sides around have picked up at same time. 

It’s great not to be losing too many, but we must stop the win draw win pattern, and go on a proper winning run of games. 
    Win, draw, win would get us into the play-offs comfortably imo. 

The issue is the win, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, win that we are currently doing. 
  • Options

2 defeats in 13 as well
    Not if the top six keep the 7 point gap intact .
  • Options
    Awful. If anyone defends that they need to have a word with themselves.

Bottom of the league team, we win with two penalties due to a terrible tackle and a handball with their keeper having no saves to make. The League's top scorer marooned on the wing. 

Appleton out. Rubbish. 
    Not quite.
    Their keeper made three decent stops. One from Tedic in the first half and then from Watson.
    He also saved with his legs from CBT in the second half.