Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town: Tuesday 28th November 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Almost a disaster from last 2 games, thank goodness for Alfie tonight, as 2 points would have been abysmal from Carlisle and Cheltenham games. 

We have to pick up 6 points from the 2 games in hand we have on Lincoln, Blackpool, and Stevenage. If we do that, let’s see what the other sides around have picked up at same time. 

It’s great not to be losing too many, but we must stop the win draw win pattern, and go on a proper winning run of games. 
    One of those games in hand is away to Derby.

If we cant best Carlisle away we ain't going to beat Derby. 

Games in hand arent worth getting excited about. 
  • Options
    We won. It was ugly but we won. If we can keep within distance of the playoffs over the next few weeks then January will be telling in terms of our owners intentions. Need to keep Dobbo, CBT and Alfie. Need to strengthen with quality. Not confident we will do either but hope to be surprised. Badly want out of this league and to be playing championship football again.
  • Options
    Almost a disaster from last 2 games, thank goodness for Alfie tonight, as 2 points would have been abysmal from Carlisle and Cheltenham games. 

We have to pick up 6 points from the 2 games in hand we have on Lincoln, Blackpool, and Stevenage. If we do that, let’s see what the other sides around have picked up at same time. 

It’s great not to be losing too many, but we must stop the win draw win pattern, and go on a proper winning run of games. 
    Win, draw, win would get us into the play-offs comfortably imo. 

The issue is the win, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, win that we are currently doing. 
    its 6 wins and 5 draws 2 defeats in that 13 so that isn't the sequence in reality is it

but sure if that is what you want to say it is.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Curbs just said if he did not give the one to Chucks he would be on one more, I’m sure he scored the rebound haha 
    Did he say etc etc after 🤣 Love Curbs.
  • Options
    Glad pf the 3pts. But that was an unconvincing performance.
    In attack the build up ponderous 6 to 9 past at least to get into their box. Then know one picks the best option in the box. They are into are area in one to two passes.
    In defense the midfield all over the place.
     One long ball and they are turning a fall backs and away and except  for poor accuracy they would have won. The centre backs beaten in the air or out of positionto often. The midfielders to slow to get to the break down ball and no movement off the ball to give the defense an option to clear the ball forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure why people are reading into Apples comments, of course he's gonna put a spin on it.
    Why? I'd be more impressed if he said it was awful but it's three point and we move on and try to improve. By saying it was the best performance under him he just looks a fool. We aren't stupid. We could all see it was cack.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

The issue is the win, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, win that we are currently doing. 
    its 6 wins and 5 draws 2 defeats in that 13 so that isn't the sequence in reality is it

In the last 6 games we've won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2. The wins coming against 14th and 24th. 

But cherry pick 13 why not. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023

In the last 6 games we've won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2. 

i'm cherry picking nothing. i'm looking at Charlton under MA which I think is a fair measure

i'd also ad the teams we have played in those 13 games are a pretty fair spread of league positions
  • Options
    Not sure why people are reading into Apples comments, of course he's gonna put a spin on it.
    Why? I'd be more impressed if he said it was awful but it's three point and we move on and try to improve. By saying it was the best performance under him he just looks a fool. We aren't stupid. We could all see it was cack.
    He didn’t say that. ‘It’s the most satisfying victory since I’ve been here’ is what he said. No mention of best. You can be satisfied with a win and not happy with the performance 
    Did he not say 'best win since I've been here by a distance'. 
  • Options
    If we don’t make the playoff it’ll be because of our back 5

Hector is a joke of a player and I’m rapidly losing faith in the keeper

thank fuck for Alfie 

how does McGrandles keep Watson out of the side - laughable 
    What did Maynard-Brewer do wrong tonight?
  • Options
    A win. 3pts. COYR
    Play offs doable!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not the best of performance & it took  2 penalties to get it but we got the win & that's what counts so we will take that 
    Definitely need to up our game though going forward as we should be beating these teams easy 

B) 

• Options
    He didn’t say that. ‘It’s the most satisfying victory since I’ve been here’ is what he said. No mention of best. You can be satisfied with a win and not happy with the performance 
    Definitely did say best.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

He used the word best but his later comments did make it clearer that it wasn't because of the performance, but because of the commitment to keep going and find a winning goal from the sort of game we've recently made a habit of drawing.

Everyone's frustrated about the recent results and I think there was an element of "finally we've won one" from Micky Apples.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

In the last 6 games we've won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2. 

i'm cherry picking nothing. i'm looking at Charlton under MA which I think is a fair measure

You can't "cherry pick" 13 but he can "cherry pick" 6. Thems the rules.
    One looks at form, one finishes the moment the losses rack up  :D 

What's clear is that MA enjoyed a new manager bounce that every manager gets here and is now reverting back to the mean. Like the last 8 managers we've had in the past 4 years. 
  • Options
    Did he not say 'best win since I've been here by a distance'. 
    Th quote I posted above is the one I’ve found. Haven’t seen yours but I might have missed it. Even then though, ‘best win’ has nothing to do with performance. He’s obviously satisfied we stuck at a tight game and got a win instead of coming away with a disappointing draw. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    17 goals in all competitions for May now is it? 

Him and CBT are gonna drag this team kicking and screaming to the play offs at this rate
    Keep us out of the bottom 4 you mean!
    no, I mean play offs - Saturday showed you can play well and still not win. Playing badly and winning is better. We are a 4-10th team not Man City, e aren't going to win every game we deserve and we aren't going to lose every game we deserve either, we are consistently picking up points and that is what counts for a play off team
    2 wins in the last 7 before today. 
    2 defeats in 13 as well
    Getting draws doesn't lead to play offs. 
    we won tonight in case you missed it
    We played against a team with 12 losses from 18 games and struggled. It doesn't scream play-offs. 
    winning and 2 defeats in 13 does which was my point
    7 points from play offs and in the form table we are......10th. 

We aren't getting play-offs is my point. We aren't good enough. 
    See what happens in January
    Leaburn and CBT go? 
    Leaburn may be out for a good while so any move may be in doubt. If, as I expect CBT won't sign a new contract then he will go, that's not down to the club, that's CBT's right. The same situation affects Dobson, once again, there is not a lot the club can do about players not choosing to renew their contracts.