Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Don't completely buy the there's no point of loans point of view.

1: The seasons not over, we still need to pick up points to stay clear of the bottom. If there are good players available for loan why would you not do it. 
    2: It's less expensive than a permanent deal, it allows us to save money for the summer window where the money can be better spent.
    3: It allows us to take a look at a player for 6 months before deciding whether or not we want to try and get them permanently in the summer if that is an option. 
    Agree with the first point as we are almost in the brown stuff, but long term loans are not the way forward.

It depends on the quality of the loan really doesn't it. If someone of the same level as a Cullen or Bielik is available and there was the possibility of agreeing a deal where it became permanent in the summer why would we not take advantage of that? We get them for 6 months, assess whether or not we want them for next seasons and then make a decision. 

If it doesn't work out then we're not stuck paying someone high wages on a 4 year contact like we have been with some of our more recent expensive signings (e.g Kirk). 

Of course if the quality of player is much lower and we don't think it improves us then there is no point. 
    That is a fair comment but without being argumentative, on your post we'll continue to make loans and do not get stability.
  • supaclive said:
    Come on guys, any loan with a view to buy is a positive.
    We were told we would be focussing on permanent acquisitions to add to the squad for next season now.   We are going with a loan - nowhere, apart from the journo does that say it's with a view to a permanent deal.

We were told we would be going for permanent signings.   He isn't.

Why am I happy about being lied to?

But each to their own.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - the loan - I am saying the owners stated they wanted permanent transfers...... 
    Did anyone ever say it would ONLY be permanent signings? Because if not you have not been lied to at all, even by implication.
  • Callumcafc said:h
    https://avftt.co.uk/index.php?threads/lewis-fiorini.45367/

“Got a real quality about him. Happy to make forward passes and constantly looking to create rather than passing back. 

Just like Patino, he needed an enforcer next to him to let him shine. We didn’t give him a chance really did we?”
    One of the other comments on that thread…

” As well as ditching the dinosaur, him coming back into the team greatly improved us.”

Appleton? 
  • edited January 5
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    We were told we would be focussing on permanent acquisitions to add to the squad for next season now.   We are going with a loan - nowhere, apart from the journo does that say it's with a view to a permanent deal.

But each to their own.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - the loan - I am saying the owners stated they wanted permanent transfers...... 
    Did anyone ever say it would ONLY be permanent signings? Because if not you have not been lied to at all, even by implication.
    Its strange how soundbites get taken for gospel or feel we're being lied to, depending on what is believed in the first place - We get told we're making perm signings, we get frustrated when we make a loan signing... We get told that an injured player will be back soon, and we're being lied to because it wont be the case

Heavy pinch of salt needs to be taken with whatever we're told... WIOTOS

Often a comment (especially when made Pre / Post Match) wont even be for the fans, its mind games to get in the head of the opposition Manager - Or an attempt to either try and ensure there isn't a drop in confidence, or gain a response depending what is said.
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

But each to their own.

Have you forgotten that our recent form has changed our attitude to this window and accelerated recruitment? We need a couple of bodies pdq. It’s only 5th January. When were you lied to ? 
    I believe the management said only weeks ago they wanted permanent transfers
    I've been told we're too good to go down
    The manager still thinks we can make the play offs
    Why the change of tack?
    Is it because we need bodies, or is it because we actually don't have any money to compete for good players.....

I'm simply asking the question
    It’s the bloody faith January ffs. There’s three weeks plus for those permanent deals. 
  • mart77 said:
    It really is like rinse and repeat on here every window now. 

Linked with promising names. 
    ‘We’ll have to be patient to get them’
    We’re short on bodies so we’ll bring in an average body to add to the ranks and appease the masses. 
    Release every few days that we’re still trying on deals before ultimately missing out and signing our option f/g late on and saying how pleased we are to capture them.
    The team play like a mid table team with management telling us that we’re unlucky and this will be addressed in the next window, where “we’ll have a real go”

We are a bang average team, led by a bang average manager, with a very average group of players.

I truly hope that things turn around but I’m genuinely worried about the future of the club.

1000% if that was an actual number!
    It's as if some people on here have forgotten the last SIX transfer windows!
  • supaclive said:

But each to their own.

They can't say with a view to a permanent deal because when his loan ends he will no longer be Sheffield Wednesday's player to sell.

But it's pretty obvious a player coming on loan in the last 6 months of his contract is with a view to being a permanent signing. It's effectively a trial. If he's shit we've not lost anything, if he's good we will try and sign him.
    Problem with that is if he does turn out to be good then someone with more money will want to sign sign him. 😩
  • So assuming Bakinson is coming. Who is the second ? Gillesphrey ? Or a striker ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Asked an Ipswich friend about Bakinson; "very inconsistent player with us, might be decent if given a proper run of games"
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I'd assume the second is Gillesphey and not Fiorini. Would be odd if it wasn't Gillesphey given it's been on the cards all week. 
    We can always stretcher him on at Port Vale if his zimmer frame is not available.  

He would still be quicker than Hector. 
  • edited January 5
    JamesSeed said:
    Didn’t one of the Matt Smiths come from City as well. 

They’ve done a great job of stitching us up. 
    Yup that should be the biggest complaint about Fiorini (How is he Scottish with a name like that) - All our Man City loans have ended up being absolute shite; Danny Mills was signed on loan from them when he decided he didnt want to play over Christmas
    There was a big influx of Italians into Scotland back at the end of the 19th century.
    ’Between 1876 and 1914 fourteen million Italians emigrated to escape poverty in their homeland. Many walked across Europe to find new homes. Thousands settled in Scotland, bringing with them such treats as Italian ice-cream, chip shops and confectionery.’
    Lots in Wales and also large community in Bedford too.

• I guess the only thing with anyone announced now will be if we got the paperwork in for midday to have them available tomorrow or not. 
  • Maybe MA doesn't fancy the current crop and they can't play how he wants.  Maybe we want some players that might take a lot more negotiating and in the meantime we are getting players in he wants, on loan as a stop gap.  The loans may let us let others leave if we also get our first choice targets, the loans also might have a break period.  We might also just be gambling on cheap options yet again.  
  • JamesSeed said:

Yup that should be the biggest complaint about Fiorini (How is he Scottish with a name like that) - All our Man City loans have ended up being absolute shite; Danny Mills was signed on loan from them when he decided he didnt want to play over Christmas
    There was a big influx of Italians into Scotland back at the end of the 19th century.
    ’Between 1876 and 1914 fourteen million Italians emigrated to escape poverty in their homeland. Many walked across Europe to find new homes. Thousands settled in Scotland, bringing with them such treats as Italian ice-cream, chip shops and confectionery.’

Millions of them in London too, most of them bartenders
  • Dont know anything about Bakinson but on paper looks a decent player who has played in the Championship and in promotion winning league one teams so better than what we have. 

Our midfield and height has been a problem for some time so if he helps that great. 

• I said a couple of weeks ago I want someone more in the Bielik/Sam Field mould, I don't know how physical Bakinson is but his height is promising at least
  • Sponsored links:

• Cor I wouldn't have minded a pound for every time iv heard lately, "He'd be perfect for us" -  based on a poor injury record :s 
  • edited January 5
    Not keen on Bakinson myself, I'd much rather Coventry if it's one or the other. Hopefully we're looking to bring in more than 1 cm though. 
  • Surely the burning question we all want to know the answer to is "Will we be seeing the thread 'Ton Up' gif before the first player in is confirmed?" 

The race is on 😉
  • edited January 5
    sam3110 said:
    JamesSeed said:

Millions of them in London too, most of them bartenders
    This is getting silly now. 
    Or is that a whoosh?
  • Was at the Valley today.

Very few people around.

That's all.
  • Am I the only one who hasn’t heard of any of these players apart from JCH? 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Am I the only one who hasn’t heard of any of these players apart from JCH? 

There is now a separate thread dedicated to exactly that. 👍