Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• A well balanced article from Rich Cawley.

Not anything we didn’t already know in terms of player links but good to get perspective from someone who isn’t a fan but still close enough to the club to understand our shortcomings.

None of the players linked seem to fit into this strategy bar JCH. Either loans linked or young and inexperienced. 
    Docherty and Gillesphey?
  • Don't completely buy the there's no point of loans point of view.

1: The seasons not over, we still need to pick up points to stay clear of the bottom. If there are good players available for loan why would you not do it. 
    2: It's less expensive than a permanent deal, it allows us to save money for the summer window where the money can be better spent.
    3: It allows us to take a look at a player for 6 months before deciding whether or not we want to try and get them permanently in the summer if that is an option. 
    Agree with the first point as we are almost in the brown stuff, but long term loans are not the way forward.
  • edited January 5
    My mate says he thought Bakinson looked ok. Didn't slag him off, but said he was behind 3 good others* in challenging for a spot in Wednesdays team, so has hardly played. Said from what he'd seen of him, he thought he could be good given a run of games. I interpreted that as a bit meh, but I don't think he's of Abankwah level desperation.

*Edit, he's behind Bannan, Byers and Vaulks in the pecking order and needs game time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    A well balanced article from Rich Cawley.

Not anything we didn’t already know in terms of player links but good to get perspective from someone who isn’t a fan but still close enough to the club to understand our shortcomings.

None of the players linked seem to fit into this strategy bar JCH. Either loans linked or young and inexperienced. 
    Docherty and Gillesphey?
    I was mainly referring to Fiorini and Coventry but take your point on those two.
  • Bakinson is out of contract in the summer. I don’t massively rate the signing from what I’ve seen of him, but a loan where it’s a bit of a try before you buy is fine as there’s a good chance we get him permanently if he does well 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Joe Taylor is an interesting one to maybe keep an eye on. Linked to Bolton too , but not entirely sure why with Charles,Adeboyejo , Bodvasson and Jerome all there as senior strikers. 
    May have already been said but according to a Luton fan, we were in for him but can't imagine our treatment of Watson has helped our cause. 
  • I'm really confused about Abankwah. Has he officially gone back yet, ie do we have a free loan slot ready to fill
  • I’m not sure about Doherty  . Llera maybe.
  • J BLOCK said:
    The least bit interested in loans. Not what we need. 
    Agree we need some permanents in, but we also need to get away from this end of the table...so needs must...
  • edited January 5
    follett said:
    I'm really confused about Abankwah. Has he officially gone back yet, ie do we have a free loan slot ready to fill
    Cawley said on the SLP pod that he’s going back
    to Udinese for treatment. Tedic has a concussion and is going back to City. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone got a house buying analogy to help explain the complex process?
    Funny you should say that…..
  • cabbles said:
    Be great if Wrexham had a mad moment and put in a bid for Fraser.  Sort of in line with their thinking of taking players from clubs higher in the league than them 
    Wrexham may consider that we are not high enough to take players off?
  • follett said:
    I'm really confused about Abankwah. Has he officially gone back yet, ie do we have a free loan slot ready to fill
    Also sounds like Clarke-Harris wants to join us. Maybe he hasn’t looked at the league table recently.

Posh want 500k, we’ve offered 300k.
  • edited January 5
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    Bakinson is out of contract in the summer. I don’t massively rate the signing from what I’ve seen of him, but a loan where it’s a bit of a try before you buy is fine as there’s a good chance we get him permanently if he does well 
    And we all know he won't do well and he won't be better than Louie Watson who is signed to a Premier League Club, is still wanted by that club and who want to take him back off of us because they can't believe, seeing how shit we are playing, that he's not getting any game time!

If anybody thinks Bakinson is better than Louie Watson, prepare to be UNDERWHELMED!
    I don’t think Bakinson is a better player than Watson, but I think he at least fits what the team needs more than Watson does. Bakinson is more defensive minded and has physicality and height that we are massively missing

I’d prefer we kept Watson too, and don’t really rate Bakinson as a signing but I don’t think it’s as bad as people are making out. He fits the profile of what we are lacking in midfield, played 50odd games at this level for 2 good sides in recent years, only 25 so could improve 
  • follett said:
    Also sounds like Clarke-Harris wants to join us. Maybe he hasn’t looked at the league table recently.

Posh want 500k, we’ve offered 300k.
    Wonder who'll blink first if no one wants to offer 300k... they can have nothing for him in the summer
  • NabySarr said:
    supaclive said:
    NabySarr said:
    Bakinson is out of contract in the summer. I don’t massively rate the signing from what I’ve seen of him, but a loan where it’s a bit of a try before you buy is fine as there’s a good chance we get him permanently if he does well 
    And we all know he won't do well and he won't be better than Louie Watson who is signed to a Premier League Club, is still wanted by that club and who want to take him back off of us because they can't believe, seeing how shit we are playing, that he's not getting any game time!

If anybody thinks Bakinson is better than Louie Watson, prepare to be UNDERWHELMED!
    I don’t think Bakinson is better than Watson, but I think he at least fits what the team needs more than Watson does. Bakinson is more defensive minded and has physicality and height that we are massively missing

I’d prefer we kept Watson too, and don’t really rate Bakinson as a signing but I don’t think it’s as bad as people are making out. He fits the profile of what we are lacking in midfield, played 50odd games at this level for 2 good sides in recent years, only 25 so could improve 
    I don't think that he is what we are looking for.   I don't think he's good enough.   Winning the ball is not the only problem.   Using it properly.   Being on the half turn, being able to turn defense into attack, being able to play football all required.    Bakinson I don't think is the right choice.   I don't want a guy coming back from an injury and an operation.   
  • Cawley confirms we are on the verge of signing Bakinson....

Cue meltdown...
  • Cawley confirms we are on the verge of signing Bakinson....

Cue meltdown...
    🫠
  • edited January 5
    Yeah Bakinson feels for me the difference between getting bodies in now like people want, or waiting to see if we can get better - Welcome to the madhouse though Tyreeq