Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• follett said:
    I'm really confused about Abankwah. Has he officially gone back yet, ie do we have a free loan slot ready to fill
    I suspect he’s gone and it will be buried as a byline once we bring someone in. 
  • Elsewhere and Eric Dier is being linked with Bayern Munich
  • NabySarr said:
    Bakinson is out of contract in the summer. I don’t massively rate the signing from what I’ve seen of him, but a loan where it’s a bit of a try before you buy is fine as there’s a good chance we get him permanently if he does well 
    We don't have time on chances and risks whilst we are sliding down the table.
  • Richard J said:
    I was encouraged by the links to Coventry and Docherty. Why build our hopes up and then sign Bakinson who sounds like a panic buy like Penney last season.
    The other two have probably f****** us off.
  • Cawley confirms we could sign more than one today.

• Sponsored links:

• https://avftt.co.uk/index.php?threads/lewis-fiorini.45367/

“Got a real quality about him. Happy to make forward passes and constantly looking to create rather than passing back. 

Just like Patino, he needed an enforcer next to him to let him shine. We didn’t give him a chance really did we?”
  • Scoham said:
    Cawley confirms we could sign more than one today.

Hopefully if there is someone else coming in they are a little more inspiring. 

Ultimately Bakinson, like Gilleshpey played a part in teams that got promoted from this league last year - so that’s a little different to what we have been signing in the past.

We can now go from moaning about lack of activity, and how Carlisle ‘give a shit’ because they signed some players already to how we have signed underwhelming shit players.

• edited January 5
  • I spent a good while this morning reading comments on Fiorini by Blackpool fans @Callumcafc

I’d say it was mixed but weighted towards positive based off his dozen appearances. Lightweight seemed a theme though. 
  • edited January 5
    https://avftt.co.uk/index.php?threads/lewis-fiorini.45367/

“Got a real quality about him. Happy to make forward passes and constantly looking to create rather than passing back. 

Just like Patino, he needed an enforcer next to him to let him shine. We didn’t give him a chance really did we?”
    For Blackpool
    Who signed Albie Morgan from us
    Great

We don't need ANOTHER loan, if we are already signing a loan in Barkinson.   We also won't have an enforcer next to him when Dobson leaves....

Rinse and repeat

Here you and me Callum go head to head for the next 4 weeks.

I think it's 4-0 to me on current transfer windows.   I REALLY hope you win this one.

I doubt it though.
  • edited January 5
    So presumably Bakinson all but confirms Tedic loan has expired to free up a loan space given Abankwah is still on the books but back at Udinese for treatment?! If so I’d assume this must mean a striker is also close
    edit: realised 5 is just the max for a match day squad so not necessarily having to end a loan immediately although sounds like Tedic gone 
  • https://avftt.co.uk/index.php?threads/lewis-fiorini.45367/

From the same page 

Both Patino and Fiorini were slow, lightweight, one-footed, hopeless in the tackle, and above all had poor positional play.
  • Doesn't sound too exciting but then same was said of CBT so you never know. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 5
    If it is Barkinson and Fiorini we can write off Coventry and Doherty unless Dobson goes and it's also not spending a penny in transfer fees.   Perfect for balancing the books - which ultimately, is all the senior management are interested in as their business plan said that's what they would be able to do.

• loans now with a view to being made permanent at the end of the season are perfect
  • edited January 5
    I personally think Bakinson is a decent signing. Not sure why everyone is writing him off already? Maybe because its a loan
  • edited January 5
    I personally think Bakinson is a decent signing. Not sure why everyone is writing him off already? Maybe because its a loan

Agreed. Always been impressed when watching him and think he'll give us some much needed presence in midfield. Think we need at least 2 midfielders with the current injury situation but with Dobson/Fraser potentially leaving we could need more.
  • Not sure if Bakinson is quite the level we want if we are pushing upwards for next season, but what we have really been lacking in the side is some defensive ability from any midfielder other than Dobson, and some height/physicality in the team. 

Bakinson improves us by filling those gaps, if he impresses then we will hopefully be in pole position to sign him on a free in the summer 
  • He also scored a brilliant goal against us for Ipswich when we got battered 4-0 a couple of years ago. He was good enough to be part of strong Ipswich and Sheff Wed squads, so will definitely be an upgrade on what we are watching in midfield at the moment 
  • Just listened to MA presser. Still thinks we can make the play offs and very very close to signings, May is only 50/50 for tomorrow! This is why we need a striker today! 
    Appleton needs to say we can still make the play offs for two reasons : - 

1) Means the management will get him the players he is asking for when we have a currently shit side
    2) If not, he's not meeting the management's expectations that this shit side is good enough to make the play offs, so he'd be writing his own epitaph

• edited January 5
    Don't completely buy the there's no point of loans point of view.

1: The seasons not over, we still need to pick up points to stay clear of the bottom. If there are good players available for loan why would you not do it. 
    2: It's less expensive than a permanent deal, it allows us to save money for the summer window where the money can be better spent.
    3: It allows us to take a look at a player for 6 months before deciding whether or not we want to try and get them permanently in the summer if that is an option. 
    Agree with the first point as we are almost in the brown stuff, but long term loans are not the way forward.

It depends on the quality of the loan really doesn't it. If someone of the same level as a Cullen or Bielik is available and there was the possibility of agreeing a deal where it became permanent in the summer why would we not take advantage of that? We get them for 6 months, assess whether or not we want them for next seasons and then make a decision. 

If it doesn't work out then we're not stuck paying someone high wages on a 4 year contact like we have been with some of our more recent expensive signings (e.g Kirk). 

Of course if the quality of player is much lower and we don't think it improves us then there is no point.