Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• supaclive said:
    Just listened to MA presser. Still thinks we can make the play offs and very very close to signings, May is only 50/50 for tomorrow! This is why we need a striker today! 
    Appleton needs to say we can still make the play offs for two reasons : - 

1) Means the management will get him the players he is asking for when we have a currently shit side
    2) If not, he's not meeting the management's expectations that this shit side is good enough to make the play offs, so he'd be writing his own epitaph

Yep fully agree. I was just pointing out what he said, but we haven't one experienced striker outside of May, so he shoots his own statement in the foot! It's pathetic
  • supaclive said:
    If it is Barkinson and Fiorini we can write off Coventry and Doherty unless Dobson goes and it's also not spending a penny in transfer fees.   Perfect for balancing the books - which ultimately, is all the senior management are interested in as their business plan said that's what they would be able to do.

We will see won't we. No matter what happens there will be moaning.
  • edited January 5
    I think basically something in the first eleven needs to change and pretty damned quick. If permanent deals are likely to take longer to get done which always seems the case then a couple of loan signings like Bakinson for example might just be what we need now. If he’s available in the summer we’ll have had a good look and make a decision then. We don’t know about Dobson leaving and I’m guessing Watson too. We need bodies now and Bakinson for me fits that bill nicely. If he’s the only midfield signing then I’ll be more than disappointed but it’s a decent start in my view. 
  • NabySarr said:
    He also scored a brilliant goal against us for Ipswich when we got battered 4-0 a couple of years ago. He was good enough to be part of strong Ipswich and Sheff Wed squads, so will definitely be an upgrade on what we are watching in midfield at the moment 
    All we have in midfield at the moment is a bunch of lightweights. 
  • edited January 5
    redbuttle said:
    supaclive said:
    If it is Barkinson and Fiorini we can write off Coventry and Doherty unless Dobson goes and it's also not spending a penny in transfer fees.   Perfect for balancing the books - which ultimately, is all the senior management are interested in as their business plan said that's what they would be able to do.

We will see won't we. No matter what happens there will be moaning.

I dont think anyone would be moaning if we kept Dobson and signed the Coventry , Doherty and Bakinson ?
  • Bakinson is experienced and a good age. Has presence and would perhaps be the defensive anchor we’ve been sorely missing. 
  • I think it’s important to remember that with trying to get better players there will be more competition. Players like Coventry are apparently being looked at by Derby and P’boro, in some instances there’s is going to a need to change targets to choice b,c ect. TB is better than the majority of the midfielders we have atm and has experience in a team that got promoted through play offs last year. It’s not just first team signings we need also it’s the depth that we are lacking. If this is first of our signings then if think it’s a pretty decent one.
  • You'd hope that any signings today would be done in time to feature tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    Gotta be honest I know very little about Bakinson.

The cynical part of me struggles to get excited about signing a player that can't even get into a team 22nd in the league above. Loan means that if he is somewhat decent he'll probably not stay with us.

He's out of contract in the summer so it's basically a 6 month trial. You'd like to think if he does well for us then he'd want to stay, especially as he's from London.
  • edited January 5
    MarcusH26 said:
    With Fiorini to add to the rumoured Coventry, Docherty, Bakinson and Bate it feels like they're preparing for more than just Louie Watson going back to Luton. 
    Perhaps our Players Rolodex is stuck. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Gotta be honest I know very little about Bakinson.

The cynical part of me struggles to get excited about signing a player that can't even get into a team 22nd in the league above. Loan means that if he is somewhat decent he'll probably not stay with us.

He's out of contract in the summer so it's basically a 6 month trial. You'd like to think if he does well for us then he'd want to stay, especially as he's from London.

This is how I see it ultimately with Bakinson, 6 month trial see how he fits in and if he's worth signing on a free in the summer as I doubt Sheffield Wednesday will be keeping him around. Hopefully Sir Chris has told him what to expect and sold him a bit on the club too. 
  • Come on guys, any loan with a view to buy is a positive.
  • Come on guys, any loan with a view to buy is a positive.
    We were told we would be focussing on permanent acquisitions to add to the squad for next season now.   We are going with a loan - nowhere, apart from the journo does that say it's with a view to a permanent deal.

We were told we would be going for permanent signings.   He isn't.

Why am I happy about being lied to?

But each to their own.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - the loan - I am saying the owners stated they wanted permanent transfers...... 
  • supaclive said:
    Come on guys, any loan with a view to buy is a positive.
    We were told we would be focussing on permanent acquisitions to add to the squad for next season now.   We are going with a loan - nowhere, apart from the journo does that say it's with a view to a permanent deal.

But each to their own.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - the loan - I am saying the owners stated they wanted permanent transfers...... 
    Have you forgotten that our recent form has changed our attitude to this window and accelerated recruitment? We need a couple of bodies pdq. It’s only 5th January. When were you lied to ? 
  • supaclive said:

But each to their own.

Have you forgotten that our recent form has changed our attitude to this window and accelerated recruitment? We need a couple of bodies pdq. It’s only 5th January. When were you lied to ? 
    I believe the management said only weeks ago they wanted permanent transfers
    I've been told we're too good to go down
    The manager still thinks we can make the play offs
    Why the change of tack?
    Is it because we need bodies, or is it because we actually don't have any money to compete for good players.....

I'm simply asking the question
  • supaclive said:

But each to their own.

They can't say with a view to a permanent deal because when his loan ends he will no longer be Sheffield Wednesday's player to sell.

But it's pretty obvious a player coming on loan in the last 6 months of his contract is with a view to being a permanent signing. It's effectively a trial. If he's shit we've not lost anything, if he's good we will try and sign him.
    Or it's a cheap option compared to spending actual money on better players.
    if you are a conspiracy theorist.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:

But each to their own.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - the loan - I am saying the owners stated they 

lied to ….. come on it’s a loan with a view to a permanent deal win win for us 
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

But each to their own.

They can't say with a view to a permanent deal because when his loan ends he will no longer be Sheffield Wednesday's player to sell.

But it's pretty obvious a player coming on loan in the last 6 months of his contract is with a view to being a permanent signing. It's effectively a trial. If he's shit we've not lost anything, if he's good we will try and sign him.
    Or it's a cheap option compared to spending actual money on better players.
    if you are a conspiracy theorist.
    It's the 5 Jan and we've already had bids in for Coventry, JCH and Gillesphey.

I understand the wider frustration with things but i really don't see why you're knocking a loan signing who is 25, local, good experience in this division with clubs who were promoted and could potentially sign for us in the summer.
  • Permanent signings will always take a bit longer than loans as there is so much more haggling and negotiation involved generally. (providing the quality of the players is good enough) Two loans of players who are out of contract at the end of the season makes sense and in principle can't really be criticised as they could be our players next year.

As long as it is then backed up by more permanent signings (again of the sufficient quality) to improve us this year and then have a go next year then that is a good window.

Realistically we will have to wait a little longer to see if that happens.
  • edited January 5
    Scoham said:

Oxford United manage to keep one of their better players who was wanted by championship clubs.. 

Let's see if we can do the same thing as a club that we allegedly have more spend power than
    He’s a young academy player who’s made nine starts this season. Surely his new contract is akin to these below?

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/nathan-asiimwe-signs-new-long-term-contract

Completely wrong, Goodrham has played about 25 times for Oxford this season at least and if you remember,  scored a brace against us earlier this season. 

Only Miles is on a similar level
    Why’s he not a regular starter if he’s one of their better players? Only 9 of those are starts.
    I seem to remember Aribo mainly coming on as sub for us in his early days. We knew he was good, but needed to be introduced gradually because of his age and inexperience. 
  • If CBT & Dobson are to leave (to be clear I want them to sign new deals). I think i'd rather offload them both now to help give a clearer picture of what is needed now & for next season.
  • If CBT & Dobson are to leave (to be clear I want them to sign new deals). I think i'd rather offload them both now to help give a clearer picture of what is needed now & for next season.
    I think if they both leave now we could go down.
    We're crap but there's 100% 4 worse teams in this division.
    I think if they both leave now we could go down.
    We're crap but there's 100% 4 worse teams in this division.
    At present I agree with you.
    But if we sell both Dobson and CBT and don't replace with better then we will struggle.