Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Fiorini seems to be a CM, with Docherty linked too it feels like there could be a couple of signings in that position. Expect that means Watson returning to Luton, but I wonder if we’ll see one of Dobson or Fraser move on too.
  • Scoham said:
    Fiorini seems to be a CM, with Docherty linked too it feels like there could be a couple of signings in that position. Expect that means Watson returning to Luton, but I wonder if we’ll see one of Dobson or Fraser move on too.
    I reckon this has got to be the case. 
  • Scoham said:
    Fiorini seems to be a CM, with Docherty linked too it feels like there could be a couple of signings in that position. Expect that means Watson returning to Luton, but I wonder if we’ll see one of Dobson or Fraser move on too.
    None of them feel like direct Dobson replacements though. Coventry probably the closest but I wouldn’t say he’s a holding midfielder. 

Think we are looking to build a new midfield with Dobson, then looking for a partner that’s got a bit more balance/box to box (Coventry, Docherty) and then finally the more creative/attacking option Fiorini
  • With us 6 points above relegation a couple of short term decent loanees to get us through this season is not a bad thing imo. 
    Obviously the main focus needs to be building a squad with next season in mind but if we bring in 3-5 key first teamers on perms this Jan of the right quality it would be a really good window.  Then complimenting that with 1-2 loanees for areas we remain short and can focus on in the summer is fine. Just because the loanees here currently are crap, doesn't mean they all are.
  • Jesus Christ they're actually backing Appleton. That's probably the worst news of the transfer window 

• edited January 5
    Jesus Christ they're actually backing Appleton. That's probably the worst news of the transfer window 
    I mean that was pretty obvious given there is the rumour on the other thread, saying that Scott wanted to sign Louie Watson on a permanent deal only he's going back to Luton because Appleton doesnt like him
  • NabySarr said:

Another player Appleton has worked with before. Really don’t see the point in a loan unless we have the option to make it permanent 
    This x100 - We're not going anywhere this season, I don't see what a loan signing does to help us in the long term. 
  • Jesus Christ they're actually backing Appleton. That's probably the worst news of the transfer window 

He'll be sacked by the end of the season, can't see him turning this around. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 5
    If the problem is an Inability to acquire targets, try thinking of it from the player of today's perspective, for their age will have shaped their impression of our reputation.

If they think us to be:

a) an average L1 (basket case) club;
    b) one where most players fail and their careers take a turn for the worse with us,;
    c) one not in contention for promotion this season;
    d) one that bins managers in six monthly cycles, giving no leadership consistency;
    e) one that drastically changes it's playing squad each season resulting in instability;
    f) one which plays in a largely empty big stadium, which they will have experienced;

Then to sell the Club to them becomes harder and it's no surprise they take their time weighing up all other options.

Money trumps all, but these aren't irrelevant when it comes to making their decision.
  • Scoham said:
    Well our midfield isn't great is it! We also lose the battle in the middle of the park!
  • edited January 5
    J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:

Another player Appleton has worked with before. Really don’t see the point in a loan unless we have the option to make it permanent 
    This x100 - We're not going anywhere this season, I don't see what a loan signing does to help us in the long term. 
    Less pressure to play our own kids, they themselves can go out on loan to a level where they can get regular game time, and at a level where their confidence isn't going to be dented. We need quality in the team to start finding wins - We equally need a bit of quantity so the likes of Patrick Casey or even Karoy Anderson don't have to sit on the bench.

Equally if Fiorini does a good job, what's to stop him coming back next year... e.g. Cullen? - Nothing wrong with loan deals, provided you get them right, like any other signing - Just surprised that Man City will be happy to send us another youngster given how well Tedic did with us.
  • With Fiorini to add to the rumoured Coventry, Docherty,Bakinson and Bate it feels like they're preparing for more than just Louie Watson going back to Luton. 
  • supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    What bothers me is AS and the owners have known for weeks now (maybe a month or 2) that Miles is out for the season, Chucks is unreliable due to his injury record, Tedic is not good enough and Kanu, Casey etc are not yet up to playing L1 week in week out.
    Yet here we are, especially if May is still injured, going into tomorrow's game without a proven and experienced striker.
    You would think, at least I would, that AS would be breaking his neck to get a striker in, in time for tomorrow, he should've have seen the situation and been working on a deal(s), since November!
    If this situation continues for a few more games, we could well be in a full relegation scrap. If that's the case, crowds will dwindle even more, and other players in other positions may decide not to join us!
    So my immediate concern is a striker, as mentioned above, should be an urgent priority!
    It'll be interesting to hear what MA has to say in his press conference today.
    I get that as well, but would assume the players we are in for will also have other options, and likely better options as well.
    So it's all noise about who we like and want
    No point in liking and wanting players we cannot get.
     The league position we are in sits at their door.
    They reviewed the squad a year ago
    They did their due diligence buying the club
    Three of their team were in situ 12 months ago
    They knew our previous manager
    They hired this manager 
    Set targets
    Set realistic targets 
    Speak to clubs in advance of the window of those targets
    Buy players we can afford and who want to come to us
    If you keep trying to buy players you can't afford; aren't for sale, or who don't want to join you

That's really bad business 

This lies 100% at their door
    Any failure is their failure
    It really IS that simple
    However else you dress it up

I am not interested in apologists for them saying "they tried", "other clubs are in for them"

We have no fit senior striker
    We've won 2 of our last 12, losing the last 3
    We've not kept a clean sheet in 12
    We're 6 points above the relegation zone
    2 of our best players don't appear to want to sign a new contract 

We've known about our long term injuries and contract situation for MONTHS now

THIS.
  • Only position I'm disappointed we've had no links with is a Winger

CB - CM - Striker are the only names we've heard so far, we potentially need a replacement for CBT or at the very least a Right sided Winger to replace Kirk who can take the pressure off Corey, not just in terms of relying on him too much (as players will always have dips in form), but if we've got a threat down the other flank as well, the opposition cant put so much focus on the Left flank.

As for the length of time its taking to sign players, well that's partly out of our control, we cant force clubs or players to accept our bids, and don't want us playing over the going rate and find we're stuck with another player who is simply here for another pay cheque - The season is all but over, might as well take a bit more time trying to get the right players in, rather than any old names in... Naturally the longer these deals drag, the more pressure that goes on to the Recruitment team to get it right in the first place.
    I guess things will become clearer as the window goes on, but the only thing I can gauge for certain is that we will be playing 3 in midfield. 

After that I have no idea if we will look to play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3/4-2-3-1

We know MA likes 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 and I can’t see us spending that money on JCH to sit on the bench, but that would mean playing May out on the wing and not playing directly off JCH - which seems a missed opportunity.

However unless we start playing Chem out on the wing, we are really short in that position. Especially if we lose CBT. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    Well our midfield isn't great is it! We also lose the battle in the middle of the park!
    I agree, I didn’t say it was a bad thing. It’s a good thing if we get the right players and improve.
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    With Fiorini to add to the rumoured Coventry, Docherty,Bakinson and Bate it feels like they're preparing for more than just Louie Watson going back to Luton. 
    Has Lewis Bate actually been linked with us?
  • J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:

If it protects players like anderson who need U-23 football or a loan himself, then i'm happy.
  • J BLOCK said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    With Fiorini to add to the rumoured Coventry, Docherty,Bakinson and Bate it feels like they're preparing for more than just Louie Watson going back to Luton. 
    Rightly so, our midfield is woeful and dominated every single game. 

Oh absolutely it's an area that badly needs working on. I just wonder who's going to actually be here at the end of the window from the existing CMs we've got in the squad. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    NabySarr said:

Because the higher we finish this season, the more attractive we'll be to targets in the summer.