Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited January 4
    Bubble said:

Feels like someone we've put in an enquiry for but will only go anywhere if it doesn't work out with targets further up the list like Docherty 
  • NabySarr said:
    Loans are pointless at this stage. Unless there’s a permanent deal option included which there could be on this

Would prefer Coventry or Docherty to Bakinson though 
    Couldn’t agree more, loans are utterly pointless at this stage. We should be building for next season and let’s be honest if he’s playing half decent between now and the end of the season, we won’t sign him. Any signings need to be long term 
  • Loaning someone with 6 months left on their contract could be long term thinking though 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    None of the links so far have impressed me bar JCH who I suspect we won't shell out for and Docherty could be a coup but again I don't see it. JCH could be formidable with May and Docherty is your very box-to-box type. Would make a great partner with Dobbo assuming the captain stays. 

Coventry I really am not sure about, don't know enough/haven't watched him enough. I've seen a lot of people mention his MK Dons performance, but we are pants and I've seen loads of players do well against us and not light the pitch up in other games. Especially towards the end of Jackos tenure where we genuinely looked useless.

One signing I definitely don't like the sound of is Gillesphey which is probably the one who is a goer out of the lot. We have made the mistake too many times of taking other clubs bit part players who are struggling with injuries in particular. This screams of that. I've seen Plymouth fans annoyed when he allegedly failed the medical and saying 'more bad luck' and seen some pretty in-depth reports on him. 

Basically sounds like he has no pace (which we struggle with as is) isn't particularly strong or an aerial threat but his main strength is he can ping a ball and in a back 3 he is dependable. We don't play a back 3 and as much as I give him grief, we already have Hector who can ping a ball to all of our non-physical forwards. 

Just sounds like an on the cheap window again, especially if we can't get JCH who is proven and does what he says on the tin and we now know is realistic. 

There are quality players in this league and below, why are we going for the ones who are out of favour at their current clubs or coming back from injuries? Same old Charlton for me 
    Who are the quality players you’d prefer? We need to add experience, leadership and physicality to the squad. That’s more likely to be older players from above.

All four would cost a fee rather than being free agents and loanees. Too early to say if it’s same old, nothing has happened yet but they’d be more promising than Bonne on a free, Penney and Kane on loan etc that we saw last year.
    Owen Moxon would be my number one midfield target to pair Dobson. Can play a bit, gets about, is having a decent season and was arguably the best player in league 2 last season. Wouldn't cost much and doesn't want to stay at Carlisle.

Brad Halliday at right back from Bradford, way better than what we have, out of contract in the summer, tough player where we are lacking in the types. 

Ben Garrity from Port Vale, 12 goals and assists combined this season, high aerial threat which we lack in midfield, big unit. (Lose count how many aerial fights we lose in the middle of the park)

Jack Currie left back at Wimbledon, more promise than Tayo.

Fraser Horsfall of Stockport County, good passer of the ball and a good defender to go along with it

Davis Keillor-Dunn and Dan Crowley of Mansfield and Notts County are putting up fantastic numbers where we lack creativity in the middle

Jonson Clarke-Harris is a superb signing for any club at this level and gets into most sides.

Stephen Humphrys of Wigan is a cracking player than can play across the forward line. Aaron Collins of Bristol Rovers could offer the same just not as physical.

Charlie Hughes at Wigan is a decent centre back and only 20. Probably out of our range. 

Way more, there's so many good players in this league and the league below. I can look at any team in this league pretty much and spot out players who make it into our bench or straight into our starting XI. Most teams in this league would only want a handful at most from our squad and we are in danger of losing 2 out of the 4 I actually rate.

Everyone I've said costs money which again is the biggest factor, we only really go for the players no one else seems to want typically speaking.
    Some good names there, I think Hughes and Currie will move higher than league 1 though. 

Keilor-Dunn and Crowley do well in league 2 but haven’t done well at this level when they’ve played it before. We’ve seen before there are risks there (Payne, Kirk, Lavelle etc), there is a big jump in quality between bottom L1/top L2 and the top 8 in league 1

Horsfall and Collins I don’t think would be easy to buy at all. Would probably be inflated prices 

I think Moxon would be a great signing and I’d be happy with him. But I also think Coventry and Docherty are both better players.

We are looking at JCH, Humphrys already. All the rumours so far point at us being on the right track in terms of who we are looking at. But looking at them and signing them are obviously very different. 

• Already gone from full of potential on the way up Coventry to injury prone on the way down Bakinson. Not saying any of this is fact and perhaps we sign both or neither of them, but this feels familiar 
  • sam3110 said:
    Is this the earliest in a transfer window people have been throwing wobblies? Fuck me, it's almost like there's a competition on being first to moan about absolutely everything 
    It's embarrassing really. Transfers take time to see through so patience is needed, aint like picking something in a shop and having it there and then!
    It doesn't take long to realise our squad is woefully weak, we have had months to identify players & contact clubs & establish the possibilities of any deals to be made. Instead we have a few names pushed into the limelight but soon revert to cheap returning from injury possibilities. OK until we sign someone we can't criticise or admire but I think it's likely a familiar pattern will emerge. Just my opinion without any evidence but I won't hold my breath.
  • sam3110 said:
    Is this the earliest in a transfer window people have been throwing wobblies? Fuck me, it's almost like there's a competition on being first to moan about absolutely everything 
    It's embarrassing really. Transfers take time to see through so patience is needed, aint like picking something in a shop and having it there and then!
    It doesn't take long to realise our squad is woefully weak, we have had months to identify players & contact clubs & establish the possibilities of any deals to be made. Instead we have a few names pushed into the limelight but soon revert to cheap returning from injury possibilities. OK until we sign someone we can't criticise or admire but I think it's likely a familiar pattern will emerge. Just my opinion without any evidence but I won't hold my breath.
    How do you know that’s not happened? 
  • sam3110 said:
    But you can identify any player you like but situations change for teams and as such, players may or not be available. 

I have no idea how this transfer window will play out but I do know after 4 days of it being open, we were never going to have major signings just yet. Chequered history or not.
  • NabySarr said:
    None of the links so far have impressed me bar JCH who I suspect we won't shell out for and Docherty could be a coup but again I don't see it. JCH could be formidable with May and Docherty is your very box-to-box type. Would make a great partner with Dobbo assuming the captain stays. 

Coventry I really am not sure about, don't know enough/haven't watched him enough. I've seen a lot of people mention his MK Dons performance, but we are pants and I've seen loads of players do well against us and not light the pitch up in other games. Especially towards the end of Jackos tenure where we genuinely looked useless.

One signing I definitely don't like the sound of is Gillesphey which is probably the one who is a goer out of the lot. We have made the mistake too many times of taking other clubs bit part players who are struggling with injuries in particular. This screams of that. I've seen Plymouth fans annoyed when he allegedly failed the medical and saying 'more bad luck' and seen some pretty in-depth reports on him. 

Basically sounds like he has no pace (which we struggle with as is) isn't particularly strong or an aerial threat but his main strength is he can ping a ball and in a back 3 he is dependable. We don't play a back 3 and as much as I give him grief, we already have Hector who can ping a ball to all of our non-physical forwards. 

Just sounds like an on the cheap window again, especially if we can't get JCH who is proven and does what he says on the tin and we now know is realistic. 

There are quality players in this league and below, why are we going for the ones who are out of favour at their current clubs or coming back from injuries? Same old Charlton for me 
    We haven’t signed any of them yet so it means nothing, but I think all 4 look like they’d be good signings. Personally Coventry and Docherty would be the standouts so I hope we get at least 1 of them done 

There is nothing wrong with signing players from leagues above, in fact it should be encouraged surely? Better than the likes of Jaiyesimi, Payne, Egbo, Kirk, Lavelle etc that we’ve signed from Leagues 1 & 2. The best L1/L2 players cost millions nowadays, we can’t afford that. Better players for better value exist in championship squads 
    Signing from league above = castoffs or injury prone, not willing to pay the going rate for a good one

Signings from this league = just because he played well against us doesn’t mean anything, probably wants more than we’re willing to pay

Signings from league below = never going to make the step up, won’t want a big wage

These are the conclusions you can draw when you have a pre-determined outcome in your head.
    You can spin it however you want to. I am fed up of Charlton being bad at football and fed up of the same excuses season after season. 

Can be optimistic all you like, I've seen enough to have the other view. Until things change at the club I don't believe they should get the easy ride they get.

I did multiple wagers at the start of the season involving where we finish, how many signings we make and on Appleton, fortunately but more so unfortunately, my money is safe as houses. 

I expect more of the same drivel being put out this window and us not making the dent on the market they are claiming they are going to. I hope more than you seem to realise that I am very wide of the mark with this view.

Are you saying fans give them an easy ride? If so, how, and what do you think we should be doing?
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    See my last sentence, I hope of course that I'm wrong but think we'll still be shopping in bargain basement territory
  • It's the same for nearly all clubs in every window.
    We want a player, might agree a deal but the selling club want to find a replacement before they let the player leave. Because chances are we're trying to sign one of their better players. They may find a replacement, the deal goes through, they don't find a replacement the deals off. 
    I've already seen posts on here saying if Dobbo and CBT are going we've got to sign replacements first.

• Anyone got a house buying analogy to help explain the complex process?
    Yes your buying your house there's a chain one drops out everyone else is fucked.  ;)
  • Anyone got a house buying analogy to help explain the complex process?
    Yes your buying your house there's a chain one drops out everyone else is fucked.  ;)

Just don't talk about gazumping
  • DOUCHER said:
    sam3110 said:
    i know for a cast iron fact they've been talking today to a club about a player who they could have talked to over the last 4 months and got lined up  - in fact in the last 10 days, the club has publicly sought offers and we have only just made contact today - what do people like Scott do when the window isn't open?
    Lewis Bate?
  • DOUCHER said:
    sam3110 said:
    i know for a cast iron fact they've been talking today to a club about a player who they could have talked to over the last 4 months and got lined up  - in fact in the last 10 days, the club has publicly sought offers and we have only just made contact today - what do people like Scott do when the window isn't open?
    Wait, I don’t get this. Has a club made a player available 10 days ago, but you are saying we should have been speaking to them sometime in the last 4 months instead?

If they have only be available for 10 days and we are only just speaking to them now, then I don’t see an issue with that to be honest - as who knows where they sit on our list of priorities.

You’ll see that I am a big critic of the unbalanced and poorly recruited squad, and I don’t really have hope for this window as well.

But I’d say at the moment the reported links with JCH, Charles Coventry and Gillesphey being at the Bristol game - are proof that talks have been going on before the window opened.
    they could have spoken to the club at any time since the summer, when they were also speaking to the club