Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    sam3110 said:
    Is this the earliest in a transfer window people have been throwing wobblies? Fuck me, it's almost like there's a competition on being first to moan about absolutely everything 
    It's embarrassing really. Transfers take time to see through so patience is needed, aint like picking something in a shop and having it there and then!
    It doesn't take long to realise our squad is woefully weak, we have had months to identify players & contact clubs & establish the possibilities of any deals to be made. Instead we have a few names pushed into the limelight but soon revert to cheap returning from injury possibilities. OK until we sign someone we can't criticise or admire but I think it's likely a familiar pattern will emerge. Just my opinion without any evidence but I won't hold my breath.
    How do you know that’s not happened? 
    i know for a cast iron fact they've been talking today to a club about a player who they could have talked to over the last 4 months and got lined up  - in fact in the last 10 days, the club has publicly sought offers and we have only just made contact today - what do people like Scott do when the window isn't open?
    Wait, I don’t get this. Has a club made a player available 10 days ago, but you are saying we should have been speaking to them sometime in the last 4 months instead?

If they have only be available for 10 days and we are only just speaking to them now, then I don’t see an issue with that to be honest - as who knows where they sit on our list of priorities.

You’ll see that I am a big critic of the unbalanced and poorly recruited squad, and I don’t really have hope for this window as well.

But I’d say at the moment the reported links with JCH, Charles Coventry and Gillesphey being at the Bristol game - are proof that talks have been going on before the window opened.
    Only the Plymouth player we know of
    The others it's "reported" we're interested in
    We can be interested in Harry Kane
    Ain't signing him!
  • edited January 4
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    sam3110 said:
    Is this the earliest in a transfer window people have been throwing wobblies? Fuck me, it's almost like there's a competition on being first to moan about absolutely everything 
    It's embarrassing really. Transfers take time to see through so patience is needed, aint like picking something in a shop and having it there and then!
    It doesn't take long to realise our squad is woefully weak, we have had months to identify players & contact clubs & establish the possibilities of any deals to be made. Instead we have a few names pushed into the limelight but soon revert to cheap returning from injury possibilities. OK until we sign someone we can't criticise or admire but I think it's likely a familiar pattern will emerge. Just my opinion without any evidence but I won't hold my breath.
    i know for a cast iron fact they've been talking today to a club about a player who they could have talked to over the last 4 months and got lined up  - in fact in the last 10 days, the club has publicly sought offers and we have only just made contact today - what do people like Scott do when the window isn't open?
    Wait, I don’t get this. Has a club made a player available 10 days ago, but you are saying we should have been speaking to them sometime in the last 4 months instead?

If they have only be available for 10 days and we are only just speaking to them now, then I don’t see an issue with that to be honest - as who knows where they sit on our list of priorities.

You’ll see that I am a big critic of the unbalanced and poorly recruited squad, and I don’t really have hope for this window as well.

But I’d say at the moment the reported links with JCH, Charles Coventry and Gillesphey being at the Bristol game - are proof that talks have been going on before the window opened.
    they could have spoken to the club at any time since the summer, when they were also speaking to the club
    In the now legendary words of Roland Duchatlet. Huh?

supaclive said:
    DOUCHER said:
    sam3110 said:

Only the Plymouth player we know of
    The others it's "reported" we're interested in
    We can be interested in Harry Kane
    Ain't signing him!
    They could be, but I don’t think the Cawley/SLP ‘report’ on stories which are just hearsay, unless there’s proper conversations that have gone on. As Cawley mentioned about JCH he does not necessarily get his information from within Charlton. 
  • edited January 4
    The thread has entered the nervous nineties. If it can make it to 100 without a signing, a virtual bat raise will have been hard earned for obdurate resistance.
  • Well, proof will be in the pudding then chaps. I head out for Stoke-on-Trent tomorrow and I am probably going to watch a team not good enough again when the people in charge have had the time to realise that for a number of weeks. Other clubs have done business already, funny how season after season it's not us getting it done early and faffing about, again.

If you want to believe these transfers are going to happen that's fine, I am simply sharing my thoughts on why I think they won't. Hopefully I'm wrong and we sign fantastic players and make the play-offs
    You must be getting the away supporters coach if you’re heading out 2mo
  • So, those linked to us so far are below... Just to keep a track.  Probably a little pointless as we often end up getting someone whom has never been mentioned. I may have missed some. 

-------------------------------------------------

Defenders
    - Gillesphey (Plymouth) Was at The Valley

- Caleb Taylor (West Brom) old rumour

- Zac Williams (Crewe but now out injured so won't happen). Old rumour.

Midfielders
    - Coventry (Hammers) Rich Cawley

- Barkinson (Massives) some Northern paper

- Bate (Leeds) I am guessing this is who is referred to above.

- Docherty (Hull) Not sure... Reams?

- Ian Poveda (Leeds) my guess if Dubai's cryptic clues so could be wrong.

Forwards
    - JCH (Peterborough) Peterborough Chairman/Cawley

- Humphreys (Wigan) Rich Cawley

If we could somehow get 2 of Bate, Coventry and Docherty in , that would be fantastic business. 

• MarcusH26 said:
    So, those linked to us so far are below... Just to keep a track.  Probably a little pointless as we often end up getting someone whom has never been mentioned. I may have missed some. 

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

If we could somehow get 2 of Bate, Coventry and Docherty in , that would be fantastic business. 

we have to offload midfielders first apparently
  • edited January 4
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    So, those linked to us so far are below... Just to keep a track.  Probably a little pointless as we often end up getting someone whom has never been mentioned. I may have missed some. 

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Doesn't surprise me , I was working off L.Watson inevitably being recalled to free up one space for a replacement . Not sure anyone will especially want Fraser , Anderson could actually do with a loan. 
  • edited January 4
    DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Bate is left footed , so he is the only name mentioned so far who could replace  the fellow leftie Fraser.
  • cabbles said:
    Well, proof will be in the pudding then chaps. I head out for Stoke-on-Trent tomorrow and I am probably going to watch a team not good enough again when the people in charge have had the time to realise that for a number of weeks. Other clubs have done business already, funny how season after season it's not us getting it done early and faffing about, again.

If you want to believe these transfers are going to happen that's fine, I am simply sharing my thoughts on why I think they won't. Hopefully I'm wrong and we sign fantastic players and make the play-offs
    You must be getting the away supporters coach if you’re heading out 2mo
    I forgot what fackin day of the week it was tbh 😂 I'll be driving up at about 8am on Saturday. Christmas period still got my brain and days a bit scrambled up 
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Yeah that'll pressure other clubs into selling their prized assets to us cheaply. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    None of the links so far have impressed me bar JCH who I suspect we won't shell out for and Docherty could be a coup but again I don't see it. JCH could be formidable with May and Docherty is your very box-to-box type. Would make a great partner with Dobbo assuming the captain stays. 

Coventry I really am not sure about, don't know enough/haven't watched him enough. I've seen a lot of people mention his MK Dons performance, but we are pants and I've seen loads of players do well against us and not light the pitch up in other games. Especially towards the end of Jackos tenure where we genuinely looked useless.

One signing I definitely don't like the sound of is Gillesphey which is probably the one who is a goer out of the lot. We have made the mistake too many times of taking other clubs bit part players who are struggling with injuries in particular. This screams of that. I've seen Plymouth fans annoyed when he allegedly failed the medical and saying 'more bad luck' and seen some pretty in-depth reports on him. 

Basically sounds like he has no pace (which we struggle with as is) isn't particularly strong or an aerial threat but his main strength is he can ping a ball and in a back 3 he is dependable. We don't play a back 3 and as much as I give him grief, we already have Hector who can ping a ball to all of our non-physical forwards. 

Just sounds like an on the cheap window again, especially if we can't get JCH who is proven and does what he says on the tin and we now know is realistic. 

There are quality players in this league and below, why are we going for the ones who are out of favour at their current clubs or coming back from injuries? Same old Charlton for me 
    Who are the quality players you’d prefer? We need to add experience, leadership and physicality to the squad. That’s more likely to be older players from above.

All four would cost a fee rather than being free agents and loanees. Too early to say if it’s same old, nothing has happened yet but they’d be more promising than Bonne on a free, Penney and Kane on loan etc that we saw last year.
    Owen Moxon would be my number one midfield target to pair Dobson. Can play a bit, gets about, is having a decent season and was arguably the best player in league 2 last season. Wouldn't cost much and doesn't want to stay at Carlisle.

Brad Halliday at right back from Bradford, way better than what we have, out of contract in the summer, tough player where we are lacking in the types. 

Ben Garrity from Port Vale, 12 goals and assists combined this season, high aerial threat which we lack in midfield, big unit. (Lose count how many aerial fights we lose in the middle of the park)

Jack Currie left back at Wimbledon, more promise than Tayo.

Fraser Horsfall of Stockport County, good passer of the ball and a good defender to go along with it

Davis Keillor-Dunn and Dan Crowley of Mansfield and Notts County are putting up fantastic numbers where we lack creativity in the middle

Jonson Clarke-Harris is a superb signing for any club at this level and gets into most sides.

Stephen Humphrys of Wigan is a cracking player than can play across the forward line. Aaron Collins of Bristol Rovers could offer the same just not as physical.

Charlie Hughes at Wigan is a decent centre back and only 20. Probably out of our range. 

Way more, there's so many good players in this league and the league below. I can look at any team in this league pretty much and spot out players who make it into our bench or straight into our starting XI. Most teams in this league would only want a handful at most from our squad and we are in danger of losing 2 out of the 4 I actually rate.

Everyone I've said costs money which again is the biggest factor, we only really go for the players no one else seems to want typically speaking.
    Some good names there, I think Hughes and Currie will move higher than league 1 though. 

Keilor-Dunn and Crowley do well in league 2 but haven’t done well at this level when they’ve played it before. We’ve seen before there are risks there (Payne, Kirk, Lavelle etc), there is a big jump in quality between bottom L1/top L2 and the top 8 in league 1

Horsfall and Collins I don’t think would be easy to buy at all. Would probably be inflated prices 

I think Moxon would be a great signing and I’d be happy with him. But I also think Coventry and Docherty are both better players.

We are looking at JCH, Humphrys already. All the rumours so far point at us being on the right track in terms of who we are looking at. But looking at them and signing them are obviously very different. 

Unfortunately they probably will, similar to Nelson Abbey who I think is bizarre people think we can aquire a player like that with our current ownership. 

Hence why I think me posting my list is pointless in general as we don't have the people at the club who know about the good players in these leagues and even if we did, they don't have the facilities to accommodate it.

The difference between Keillor-Dunn and Crowley compared to the players you've mentioned (which is a fair comparison to an extent) is that they weren't seen as the best players in league 2, apart from Kirk maybe, who even then, there was plenty of players outperfoming him, his best season was in the covid league 2 season. They were just standout players in their sides imho, just points towards poor recruitment again, until we get that right nothing will change.

Horsfall definitely wouldn't be but could be an upgrade on what we have, depends if he can bring his form into league 1.

In regards to Moxon, hard to say really. Docherty yeah but either way the calibre of player we should be signing. 

And your final post is my point really, historically we have been linked with good players. We are a big club, it's easy click bait/cheap social media interactions for accounts. Very rarely comes to fruition. Hopefully it's different this time 
  • to those that think people are hysterical for wondering why we haven't signed anyone yet and are concerned we could be in for a bad window, here's what it looks like to be a club who give a shit and want to at least try and turn it around: 

Clearly they've been planning for the window opening as Doucher has said you can do, we can't afford to scramble around. If we have played Port Vale and Peterborough without any new faces in, it’s a bit of a liberty and means there's been no actual plans in place or strategy.
    I’m not expecting a good window either but it’s still really early and not every player is available in the first week of the window opening.

There have been a small number of moves so far, we’re far from the only club who hasn’t signed anyone yet. We won’t be the only club thinking we need several signings either.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers

Carlisle making 3 early signings doesn’t prove much either way.
  • ct_addick said:
    We need a forward.....will be disappointing if we haven't signed on for Saturday's game.....
    Strikers are the hardest position to fill .. said before Peterbro not going to sell us a striker when we are playing them next week … last thing they want is him scoring the winner against them 

wouldnt they just put a clause in that he doesnt play against them or is that only loans
  • edited January 5
    NabySarr said:
    ct_addick said:
    We need a forward.....will be disappointing if we haven't signed on for Saturday's game.....
    I really haven't bothered much with this thread this week as I didn't think much would happen for the first few days. 

I believe the window shuts 4 weeks today, 11pm on Thursday 1st Feb, so there is still plenty of time to bring in recruits. 

However, we currently have no fit senior strikers & if Alfie May doesnt recover in time for Saturday we could see ourselves going into another match with just Kanu as a lone striker (with Casey on the bench). It may be the case that we are all resigned to the fact that the play-offs are out of reach but the bottom 4 places aren't. The more games we play with little or no striking options the more games we wont win. 

Signing a striker is really one of the first pieces of transfer business we should be doing. If the club think we can muddle through until Aneke is back then they are seriously deluded. 
    Where as I agree and want a striker in as soon as possible, you always over simplify the process.

We have a budget, and it is not going to be bottomless. We also know there are plenty of areas of squad that need improvement.

With that budget we know we after JCH who I think in my own personal opinion is elite at this level. 

I am sure currently Darren MacAnthony is wanting people to pay over the odds for him.

Are you risking missing out on JCH for a striker who is not as proven at this level, or paying over the odds for JCH and having less budget to buy your first choice defensive options, and area where we are weaker.

Or do you think ‘they should just spend more money’ - which for me is just always a poor argument - especially if they are spending any - which seems like they will be. 
    Depends on how much extra you think we need to pay to get JCH over the line now. From what I've read (and I always take these things with a pinch of salt) we are offering c£400k and Peterborough want more (but less than the £800k they paid for him).

So......settle on £600k & be done with it. 

The £200k might be the difference between League 1 football next season or League 2. 

FWIW.....I see Carlisle (bottom of the table) have signed 2 players today - 1 a striker. No idea if the striker is any good (but coming from Ireland I'll very much doubt he is better than JCH) but I also doubt they have the money or clout we do - although just been taken over they might have a few pounds to spend. My point being......they dont want to go down so are doing what they see as their best way of staying up. We have to do the same. 
    Every year people get over-dramatic and have a meltdown that we are going down, we never get close. Even if we drop further down then a change in manager usually does the trick 

We aren’t going down, signings should be with next season in mind. If Peterborough are taking the piss on JCH (they probably are, at least until after we play them) then wait and get him cheaper later this month 
    We aren't going down......hmmmm.
    Changing a manager twice a calendar year is alright then?
    Have a day off.
  • None of the links so far have impressed me bar JCH who I suspect we won't shell out for and Docherty could be a coup but again I don't see it. JCH could be formidable with May and Docherty is your very box-to-box type. Would make a great partner with Dobbo assuming the captain stays. 

Coventry I really am not sure about, don't know enough/haven't watched him enough. I've seen a lot of people mention his MK Dons performance, but we are pants and I've seen loads of players do well against us and not light the pitch up in other games. Especially towards the end of Jackos tenure where we genuinely looked useless.

One signing I definitely don't like the sound of is Gillesphey which is probably the one who is a goer out of the lot. We have made the mistake too many times of taking other clubs bit part players who are struggling with injuries in particular. This screams of that. I've seen Plymouth fans annoyed when he allegedly failed the medical and saying 'more bad luck' and seen some pretty in-depth reports on him. 

Basically sounds like he has no pace (which we struggle with as is) isn't particularly strong or an aerial threat but his main strength is he can ping a ball and in a back 3 he is dependable. We don't play a back 3 and as much as I give him grief, we already have Hector who can ping a ball to all of our non-physical forwards. 

Just sounds like an on the cheap window again, especially if we can't get JCH who is proven and does what he says on the tin and we now know is realistic. 

There are quality players in this league and below, why are we going for the ones who are out of favour at their current clubs or coming back from injuries? Same old Charlton for me 
    It is only the 4th. day of the transfer window and that includes a bank holiday, I suggest patience and less ill thought comments  which seem to be based on social media chatter.
    What is your view of Scott and the past two transfer windows?
  • MarcusH26 said:

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Don’t know if it’s just me but I know nothing of any of them and surprised others do unless they are basing opinions on the EFL highlights shows from loan spells these players may have had. At least JCH I have seen actually play a few times.
  • ct_addick said:
    Strikers are the hardest position to fill .. said before Peterbro not going to sell us a striker when we are playing them next week … last thing they want is him scoring the winner against them 

If they were that bothered & thought he was that good they would have been playing him all season. They haven't. The deal with B. Rovers fell through at the last minute in Aug and since then they've basically said "fuck you" and left him stewing with the U21's. 

I would be saying to them, £500k now or £350k after Jan 13th. And mean it. Or sign someone else before Jan 12th. 
  • Sponsored links:

• to those that think people are hysterical for wondering why we haven't signed anyone yet and are concerned we could be in for a bad window, here's what it looks like to be a club who give a shit and want to at least try and turn it around: 

Clearly they've been planning for the window opening as Doucher has said you can do, we can't afford to scramble around. If we have played Port Vale and Peterborough without any new faces in, its a bit of a liberty and means there's been no actual plans in place or strategy.
    This x 100
  • MarcusH26 said:

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Yes it would be. But we wont. Doubt we will get even 1 of those 3. 
  • MarcusH26 said:

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Yes it would be. But we wont. Doubt we will get even 1 of those 3. 

Oh I doubt it too. Our January windows are never good as a rule so we'll probably be here on the last day of the window scrabbling around as usual for loanees. 
  • So, those linked to us so far are below... Just to keep a track.  Probably a little pointless as we often end up getting someone whom has never been mentioned. I may have missed some. 

Defenders

Midfielders

- Ian Poveda (Leeds) my guess of Dubai's cryptic clues so could be wrong.

- Ben Krahaus (Bromley) Teamtalk

Forwards

Bravo @Athletico Charlton

More of this, less of the endless round and round 
  • sam3110 said:
    If only we knew when the transfer window was going to open instead of it being sprung on us so late. Bloody EFL 🤔🤭.
    You can talk 10 minutes before or 10 months before it opens...things can change at any point of any deal and then with that comes the time its takes to get it sorted. 

What is so hard to understand about that?