Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    This’ll liven up the thread 🧨 true or wind up?

Can we at least agree photoshopping fake Richard Cawley tweets and posting on Facebook is embarrassing behaviour?
    It should be made a criminal offence to do such things.
  • I remember last window Bristol Rovers sold one of their strikers and supposedly were set  to buy JCH, then after deadline day  passed made a statement couldn’t quite get it over the line . Imagine the meltdown on here if that happened at Charlton.
  • Richard J said:
    The calibre of target seems good.

Imho Docherty was one of the main reasons Shrewsbury edged us out in the playoffs a few years ago.

I guess he will be tempted if we offered a decent contract for next season.

Likewise Conor Coventry may want regular football to get his career going.

Would like both of them if possible.

Interesting and very impressive from him considering he didn’t play in either leg of the playoffs 😂😂😂

some people do make up some rubbish 
  • Anyone else feel totally non plussed by this window? 
    Maybe it’s the last decade and particularly the last three years but I can’t get excited by the prospect of more jobbing footballers passing through SE7. JCH might be vaguely exciting.

Perhaps it’s just that generally incremental  sapping of enthusiasm for Charlton. 
  • I think some of us are hoping for too much too soon. I would guess to sign good players takes time, first we have to agree a fee with his club, other clubs might have a similar agreement then we have to agree a contract with the player who might also be negotiating with other clubs. We all want new good players in asap but it just rarely happens that way, it is different if we are bringing in a player from a lower level but that is not what we or the club want, so patience please.
  • Valley11 said:
    Anyone else feel totally non plussed by this window? 
    Maybe it’s the last decade and particularly the last three years but I can’t get excited by the prospect of more jobbing footballers passing through SE7. JCH might be vaguely exciting.

Perhaps it’s just that generally incremental  sapping of enthusiasm for Charlton. 
    Two days ago you said Gillesphey, Coventry and JCH would be a good start. We've since also been linked to Docherty.

What's changed in the last couple of days?
  • Sambcafc said:
    Richard J said:
    The calibre of target seems good.

Imho Docherty was one of the main reasons Shrewsbury edged us out in the playoffs a few years ago.

I guess he will be tempted if we offered a decent contract for next season.

Likewise Conor Coventry may want regular football to get his career going.

Would like both of them if possible.

Interesting and very impressive from him considering he didn’t play in either leg of the playoffs 😂😂😂

some people do make up some rubbish 
    Apologies I got my seasons wrong  He played the season after for Shrewsbury and was their POTY.

I remember being impressed by him and hoping that we would sign him when Bowyer tried to a year or so later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:

Two days ago you said Gillesphey, Coventry and JCH would be a good start. We've since also been linked to Docherty.

It would be good in terms of bodies in. Are they better than what we have? I’ve no idea. 

What’s changed? Nothing, purely some reflection on the merry go round of middle of the road footballers who have passed through The Valley in the last ten years. 
  • NabySarr said:
    ValleyBen said:
    I am also not convinced Jones is a significant improvement on Innis currently. 

Although like May, Jones even if you do rate him is not a signing by Scott if he gets a free pass for last January. 
    Jones is absolutely miles better than Inniss. Inniss is better in the air but other than that Jones is better at pretty much everything else 
    I agree with you, though what I would say is that I haven't seen Jones quite hit the heights that Inniss did at the very start of his time with us. When he arrived, right before his first injury Inniss looked like a Championship defender in waiting if he could just stay fit. There was that 5 game run where we didn't concede and it felt a little bit like we never would again. It was only when the Inniss/Famewo partnership was broken up and we didn't have another centre back to pair him with that we started to look capable of letting one in. Of the 13 games he played that season we only lost 1 and 7 of them were clean sheets. He was pretty poor the next season though along with Famewo when he came back, I think if we'd had the initial pre-injury versions of both those players for the whole 20/21 season we would have got promoted without too much trouble.
    True..
  • J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:
    I think Jones is more than capable of playing in a promotion winning league one side. The problem is the rest of the defenders around him.
    I wouldn’t write off Watson or Edun improving yet. Getting them proper competition would be a good start. With Asiimwe and Thomas backing them up they know they’ll start the majority of the time. We also need to strengthen the spine of the team so they can spend more time on the ball and going forward and take some pressure off them defensively.
    Edun said he was a midfielder persuaded to play at LB by MA at another club (the promo video that the club put out). I think he is a skilful player without the defensive instincts, with more than a hand in our current defensive errors in losing run starting at Gills. Quick-ish but small and slightly lightweight. Maybe better as a wingback at this level .
    He essentially plays as a wingback for us.

I’ve seen nothing from him to suggest he is good going forward, let’s not even start on his defensive qualities which seem non existent. 
    To be fair to Edun, he is left completely exposed by CBT infront of him who 9 times out of 10 refuses to track back or apply any pressure or tackle/mark anyone coming down that side.. not saying you’re wrong necessarily but there’s certainly been flashes of decent play from Edun, enough to make me believe there is a player in there somewhere.  

Obviously CBT is probably too important to drop with the assists and goals he provides but maybe with a more balanced winger or one that will defend a little more we may see a better version of Edun.
    J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:
    I think Jones is more than capable of playing in a promotion winning league one side. The problem is the rest of the defenders around him.
    I wouldn’t write off Watson or Edun improving yet. Getting them proper competition would be a good start. With Asiimwe and Thomas backing them up they know they’ll start the majority of the time. We also need to strengthen the spine of the team so they can spend more time on the ball and going forward and take some pressure off them defensively.
    Edun said he was a midfielder persuaded to play at LB by MA at another club (the promo video that the club put out). I think he is a skilful player without the defensive instincts, with more than a hand in our current defensive errors in losing run starting at Gills. Quick-ish but small and slightly lightweight. Maybe better as a wingback at this level .
    He essentially plays as a wingback for us.

I’ve seen nothing from him to suggest he is good going forward, let’s not even start on his defensive qualities which seem non existent. 
    To be fair to Edun, he is left completely exposed by CBT infront of him who 9 times out of 10 refuses to track back or apply any pressure or tackle/mark anyone coming down that side.. not saying you’re wrong necessarily but there’s certainly been flashes of decent play from Edun, enough to make me believe there is a player in there somewhere.  

Obviously CBT is probably too important to drop with the assists and goals he provides but maybe with a more balanced winger or one that will defend a little more we may see a better version of Edun.
    Fair point
  • Did Dizzy sign a medical?
  • ct_addick said:
    We need a forward.....will be disappointing if we haven't signed on for Saturday's game.....
    Prepare to be disappointed
  • How many signed today then?
  • edited January 4
    Valley11 said:
    Valley11 said:

It would be good in terms of bodies in. Are they better than what we have? I’ve no idea. 

What’s changed? Nothing, purely some reflection on the merry go round of middle of the road footballers who have passed through The Valley in the last ten years. 
    Fair enough - didn’t mean to be antagonistic.

Agree that we don’t really know if anyone we’re linked with (JCH aside, mainly because of injuries right now) would be a guaranteed upgrade on what we currently have.

That said, I definitely think the likes of Gillesphey, Coventry and Docherty are definitely the right type of names for a club like ours. I have hopes that Coventry and Docherty for instance would both be good enough to keep Dobson out of the team, let alone our other midfielders.

That’s not a guarantee that they will be, I hoped the same for Fraser and McGrandles and Taylor and Camara and each has so far struggled for different reasons.
    On the flip side of the four I mentioned, I also hoped the same for Alfie May and Lloyd Jones this past window and they’ve worked out quite well so far.

As a Charlton fan all you can do is hope for the best and anticipate the worst. :-)
  • edited January 4
    There's a striker at Dundee united who scored a hat trick on his 30th birthday, last week and at long last has got his shit together.
    One of the better poster on CL🤔 used to call him Tony magic feet Watt. 
    Unfortunately the younger Watt was as mad as a box of frogs but this mature version is a clean living dedicated professional.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jed Steer has joined Peterborough 
  • Richard J said:
    Jed Steer has joined Peterborough 
    He's played five games since 2018-19.

You watch he'll go on to keep the most clean sheets in the Division for the rest of the season now

Had we signed him, he'd have been on the treatment table for the rest of the season!!
  • Using this again.  Nothing has changed my opinion,  PLEASE change my opinion.

• ct_addick said:
    We need a forward.....will be disappointing if we haven't signed on for Saturday's game.....
    I really haven't bothered much with this thread this week as I didn't think much would happen for the first few days. 

I believe the window shuts 4 weeks today, 11pm on Thursday 1st Feb, so there is still plenty of time to bring in recruits. 

However, we currently have no fit senior strikers & if Alfie May doesnt recover in time for Saturday we could see ourselves going into another match with just Kanu as a lone striker (with Casey on the bench). It may be the case that we are all resigned to the fact that the play-offs are out of reach but the bottom 4 places aren't. The more games we play with little or no striking options the more games we wont win. 

Signing a striker is really one of the first pieces of transfer business we should be doing. If the club think we can muddle through until Aneke is back then they are seriously deluded. 
    Where as I agree and want a striker in as soon as possible, you always over simplify the process.

We have a budget, and it is not going to be bottomless. We also know there are plenty of areas of squad that need improvement.

With that budget we know we after JCH who I think in my own personal opinion is elite at this level. 

I am sure currently Darren MacAnthony is wanting people to pay over the odds for him.

Are you risking missing out on JCH for a striker who is not as proven at this level, or paying over the odds for JCH and having less budget to buy your first choice defensive options, and area where we are weaker.

Or do you think ‘they should just spend more money’ - which for me is just always a poor argument - especially if they are spending any - which seems like they will be. 
  • ct_addick said:
    I really haven't bothered much with this thread this week as I didn't think much would happen for the first few days. 

I believe the window shuts 4 weeks today, 11pm on Thursday 1st Feb, so there is still plenty of time to bring in recruits. 

However, we currently have no fit senior strikers & if Alfie May doesnt recover in time for Saturday we could see ourselves going into another match with just Kanu as a lone striker (with Casey on the bench). It may be the case that we are all resigned to the fact that the play-offs are out of reach but the bottom 4 places aren't. The more games we play with little or no striking options the more games we wont win. 

Signing a striker is really one of the first pieces of transfer business we should be doing. If the club think we can muddle through until Aneke is back then they are seriously deluded. 
    Don't worry our premier league loan Tedic will be back on Saturday going to ground and rolling around on the floor at every opportunity.  :(