Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Mr Gillesphey (weird spelling) sounds like one for late this season/next season, judging from this stuff from the Plymouth Herald.

He played 35 times for the Pilgrims in their 2022/23 League One title-winning campaign but missed the start of this season due to injury and since returning to fitness has been limited to just three starts and one appearance off the bench.

The defender returned to the starting line-up for the 2-2 draw away to Cardiff City on Boxing Day and played for 70 minutes before being taken off due to cramp. He then missed the 2-1 defeat at Southampton last Friday.
  • I quite like Jones but feel he has been as error prone as other defenders recently, not ready to declare him top six quality yet.
  • edited January 4
    I think Jones is more than capable of playing in a promotion winning league one side. The problem is the rest of the defenders around him.
    I wouldn’t write off Watson or Edun improving yet. Getting them proper competition would be a good start. With Asiimwe and Thomas backing them up they know they’ll start the majority of the time. We also need to strengthen the spine of the team so they can spend more time on the ball and going forward and take some pressure off them defensively.
  • Mr Gillesphey (weird spelling) sounds like one for late this season/next season, judging from this stuff from the Plymouth Herald.

He played 35 times for the Pilgrims in their 2022/23 League One title-winning campaign but missed the start of this season due to injury and since returning to fitness has been limited to just three starts and one appearance off the bench.

The defender returned to the starting line-up for the 2-2 draw away to Cardiff City on Boxing Day and played for 70 minutes before being taken off due to cramp. He then missed the 2-1 defeat at Southampton last Friday.
    Yes, he played in the 5-1 thumping we gave them in August 2022. At fault for all five IIRC. Likes the Valley 😉
  • edited January 4
    Valley11 said:
    What type of midfielder is Greg Doherty?
    Are we after Coventry and Doherty I wonder? 
    You’d have to think both would mean Dobson is off now, not in the summer.

And if we sell him and CBT then this supposed ‘impressive January window’ from the new owners might not be so awe inspiring. Using that money to fund replacements is just house keeping, not having a go at next season.

Wait and see I guess. 

Selling Dobson and /or CBT now, before replacements have been signed, would be like removing your windows (in winter) before the Double-Glazing salesman has even visited to provide your quote = Insanity.

Surely we will need to buy before selling anybody. 
  • edited January 4
    ValleyBen said:
    I quite like Jones but feel he has been as error prone as other defenders recently, not ready to declare him top six quality yet.
    I doubt you’ll find any league one defenders that aren’t prone to an error. If they weren’t they wouldn’t be in league one.
  • I remember being impressed with Docherty when we played Hull a while back. Hope we sign him
  • Valley11 said:

And if we sell him and CBT then this supposed ‘impressive January window’ from the new owners might not be so awe inspiring. Using that money to fund replacements is just house keeping, not having a go at next season.

Wait and see I guess. 

Selling Dobson and /or CBT now, before replacements have been signed, would be like removing your windows (in winter) before the Double-Glazing salesman has even visited to provide your quote = Insanity.

Doubt we'd get much of a fee for Dobson so we shouldn't even be considering selling. Still a chance he can sign a new contract with us nearer the end of the year as well unless our January is so good that he can't get in the team.

CBT I can see us selling as reckon we'd at least get a modest fee.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 4
    ValleyBen said:
    I quite like Jones but feel he has been as error prone as other defenders recently, not ready to declare him top six quality yet.
    I doubt you’ll find any league one defenders that aren’t prone to an error. If they weren’t they wouldn’t be in league one.
    Personally think that is nonsense, you honestly believe the first choice defenders at clubs like Pompey & Bolton are making regular errors our defenders make.

I remember when we had a CB partnership of Morrison & Taylor who again were not regular making errors that cost us vital points. 
  • What errors has Jones made this season? In comparison to Hector, he's got a halo above his head.
  • May I be the first to say wtf have we signed Gillesphy who failed a medical.
    "Twas just a scratch", to paraphrase the Black Knight out of Monty Python.
  • edited January 4
    Jac_52 said:
    Valley11 said:

Wait and see I guess. 

Doubt we'd get much of a fee for Dobson so we shouldn't even be considering selling. Still a chance he can sign a new contract with us nearer the end of the year as well unless our January is so good that he can't get in the team.

CBT I can see us selling as reckon we'd at least get a modest fee.
    A smallish fee now which can be recycled into a replacement or nothing. I know exactly the way any club will view that one. As for CBT it’s the same argument, only I’d expect a couple of lower Championship clubs prepared to take a punt. Both have contract offers in front of them and given their respective importance to the team I’d say the offers are about as good as we’re prepared to make. They haven’t signed so move them on. 
    1. Have we signed him? 
    2. Has he failed a medical?

3. a medical isn’t a simple pass/fail, it is an assessment of the risk in signing a player. Once the club get the results they weigh up whether it is worth the fee/contract length/wages and then decide. It isn’t just a simple fitness test 
  • Whatever happened to that winger we almost signed but he failed the medical 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 4
    Scoham said:
    This’ll liven up the thread 🧨 true or wind up?

It's fake. Poor grammar. 1/10 for effort
  • What a firecracker indeed
  • ValleyBen said:
    I am also not convinced Jones is a significant improvement on Innis currently. 

Although like May, Jones even if you do rate him is not a signing by Scott if he gets a free pass for last January. 
    Jones and May have been our only promising signings! Jones is a huge upgrade on Inniss!! 
  • A first encouraging sign for me would be we don't sign someone who's failed their medical.

How would you know if someone has failed a medical?

I assume the comment is about the Plymouth defender? which is another rumour that seems to have become a fact. 
    Oh I wouldn't but it does sound like he's had one? If he has I think it's usual for the medical to be the last step so if he doesn't sign then that's the assumption I would make.
    You're right though, I don't know.
  • edited January 4
    Scoham said:
    This’ll liven up the thread 🧨 true or wind up?

If true and we’re also selling Dobson and CBT and all our other good players and we’re left with only the bad ones we’re definitely in big trouble… wibble…
  • edited January 4
    That Cawley stuff probably is fake, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Alfie wanted to move with the way things are at the moment..🙄
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:

There is Something really embarrassing about grown men constantly pestering Rich Cawley for some transfer information. 
    What difference is it to the days people use to load up football news on Teletext or more recently general scouring of internet forums? Also love the use of the term 'pestering' neither of these posts show any 'pestering'. 

Embarrassingly incorrect post. 
    Have I touched a nerve dazzler ? Are you one of the ones who pester rich? I have seen That Rob message Rich almost daily like some lover stalking his ex, every time the transfer window opens. I didn’t necessarily mean just those two posts, if you don’t find it embrassing then so be it. 
    It's social media, why are you getting embarrassed because supporters are having conversations with their local sports journalist?

If you want to waste your energy getting embarrassed about other peoples behaviour then i recommend sitting in the upper Covered End. You are guaranteed to see behaviour that will really make you cringe.