Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/palace-bids-for-ronnie-rejected-and-league-two-club-chasing-jch-is-revealed-4464411

Big Posh updates and a League One signing

Director of football Barry Fry has confirmed to the PT that Posh have rejected three bids from Crystal Palace for England Under 20 skipper Ronnie Edwards. Palace director of football Dougie Freedman has been doing the bidding, but the clubs are some way apart on the fee, the payment schedule, the sell on percentage and the add ons! Other top flight clubs have have shown an interest in Edwards, but they have been talking 'Mickey Mouse' numbers according to Fry who will also try and insert an immediate loan-back clause inti any deal.

Fry also disclosed Gillingham rather than Wrexham are the League Two club to have enquired about Jonson Clarke-Harris. The Gills are the lowest scorers in League Two with just 21 goals in 25 games.

Meanwhile Exeter City have become the second League One club to make a January transfer window signing. They've taken Fulham forward Luke Harris (21) on loan until the end of the season.

• The midfielder sounds like Greg Docherty or Conor Coventry, both would be very impressive signings for L1, but can’t see either really wanting a permanent move to L1.
  • Only 10% of the window gone and I am already very positive about our progress to date. 

Only one incoming player has failed his medical so far and we have already missed out on one excellent player.

And our two best players,  whose contracts expire this summer have been told to 'take it or leave it'. 

This is all most encouraging and as one poster likes to remind us it's always good to get deals done early in the window to let players settle in.

Thank goodness we have professional football people in charge of the club and not just overpaid chancers leaking bits of fatuous PR to keep the fans on side while the club slides further into oblivion.
    Who’s the excellent player we missed out on?
  • Only 10% of the window gone and I am already very positive about our progress to date. 

Only one incoming player has failed his medical so far and we have already missed out on one excellent player.

And our two best players,  whose contracts expire this summer have been told to 'take it or leave it'. 

This is all most encouraging and as one poster likes to remind us it's always good to get deals done early in the window to let players settle in.

Thank goodness we have professional football people in charge of the club and not just overpaid chancers leaking bits of fatuous PR to keep the fans on side while the club slides further into oblivion.
    Not sure if you are joking but its only the 4th..
  • Scoham said:
    Only 10% of the window gone and I am already very positive about our progress to date. 

Who’s the excellent player we missed out on?
    Dan Kemp rumoured MK Dons to Derby 🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 4
    Thanks for the Lol @Yann897 that’s why I added the shrugging shoulders emoji  because that rumour came from an iffy source whoosh!😏

👍  Charlton Athletic = Elite Performance
  • edited January 4
    DubaiCAFC said:
    It’s all gone a bit quiet on Gillesphey, I hope that happens as he ticks all boxes of what we need at the moment 
    Apologies if already been said.

Plymouth supporting friend of mine reckons he failed his medical.
    Rich Cawley was asked on Twitter if it was “still on” and his response was “it’s not off”.

Another Plymouth ITK who posted “Gillesphey to London” the day before he was spotted at the Valley has also said “the deal is still ON”.
    My friend didn't say the deal was off, just that the medical had apparently failed. Might just explain why a deal's not been announced yet, and why Cawley's said "it's not off" and not something more substantial towards it being on.
    He had the medical on Saturday morning, I wouldn't be surprised if announced today (I have not information on this, just guessing). We have also had another bid accepted for one of the midfielders I mentioned. We are offering a very good salary, but if he want's to come to league one is a different matter. 
    Just curious, when you say we are offering a very good salary, are you privy to what it is? Or is that what you've been told? 
  • IanJRO said:
    Southbank said:
    Garrymanilow said:
    I'm a little bit neutral on the JCH signing as I don't think people are going to like him as much as they think if he does sign. He's pretty much the opposite of Alfie May as a striker; when he's scoring he's popular but when he's not he tends to get fans' backs up because his on-pitch attitude doesn't look as good and he doesn't contribute a huge amount to phases of play. I can see him having a bit of a goalscoring drought and getting the fans on his back, especially if he comes in to play as the 9 and fans see him as essentially aiding in May being pushed out to the right again, which is what Appleton will most likely do. Ideally he'd come in, immediately start scoring and link up well with May but when has the ideal ever happened for us? We will see
    Kermorgant
    Kishishev. What are we doing?
    Kanu? Maybe naming Charlton players who surname starts with K.
    Kinsella
    Get in!
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    Any proposed solution to any complex problem which begins "it's simple..." is automatically wrong.

Just spending money isn't enough.

Duchatelet spent so much he lost £13m in a season and we got relegated.

Sandgaard spent a lot of money but a lot of it was wasted on the  likes of Schwarzt and Kirk.

Spending in itself isn't enough, this is the real world not football manager.

Of course, having a bigger budget is a huge advantage but you need to spend it well.

You need a good manager to coach the players you've brought in (radical idea but you could even let the manager pick those players).

You need a balanced squad, you need experience, leadership and flexibility.

You need good  recruitment so you get the right personalities.

You need good scouting to see what opposition are doing.

You need the right sports science people and facilities to get and keep the players fit.

You need good facilities and infrastructure to back up all of that.

You need time and management to build a collection of individuals into a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

No, it's not "simple". That's what Sandgaard and Duchatelet thought.

We've yet to see if GFP are any better.

Right, back to some rumours now.

Everything you just said is solved by money though and I am saying money gets you out of league 1, I understand the championship is a more complex beast (you spend even more money) 

A good manager, is secured by money or having knowledge of managers on the up, which you need to buy out from their club. 

A balanced squad you gain by spending money, good scouts are on good money, the right sports science, again money.

Everything you said just involves us spending more than the other teams to secure the top staff at this level? 

Sandgaards arrogance, was his downfall, not the size of his wallet. Had he had the right people in his ear, we wouldn't be in this league still. Unfortunately he's his own man and refused to have the humility to let people give him the advice he needed. 

Roland is old news and a lot more complex, he also had us in the championship whereas I am talking about league 1 here. Roland didn't spend the required cash to be competitive in the championship but that's a whole other argument.

Any ownership that comes in and talks about 'building projects' 'plans in place' is talking sh*t to save money. This league is tripe and it's no coincidence all the bigger spenders are in the top 8 (we'd probably be with a decent, non-journeyman manager)

You buy your way out of here, you aim to survive the following season in the championship and then you build there where players are more likely to stay and if they don't they go for reasonable fees. There is no long sustainability in this league or time for 'projects' as seen by our dwindling numbers and loss of interest in Charlton.
    It's not just money though, it's money and good decision making. The decision making is where we've been lacking for so so long
    You can have all the decision making in the world but cash trumps all. 

I understand where you are coming from though and I have sort of covered that by mentioning Sandgaard. 

Unfortunately based on our recent transfer history and the fact that Appleton is still in post, we evidently have neither currently until proven otherwise.
    Think Plymouth are a good example of decision making being more important. Not denying that they've spent money but they're a relatively small club for the Championship and location makes them a hard sell. But they have a good philosophy and set up which has led to 2 coaches in a row being poached. Neither were big name expensive hires. 
    Plymouth are a good example but also a bit of an anomaly with the points tally they gained, especially after losing their manager.

Plymouth aren't some fairytale story though, they were the 8th highest spenders in the league in terms of wages and squad value (we were 9th) and the only teams ranked above them were, in order: Peterborough, Derby, Bolton, Barnsley, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Sheffield Wednesday. All of those sides made up the top8 for that season, we were the only side in the top9 spend to not get top 9. 

They utilised the loan market extremely well securing Azaz, Whittaker and Mumba who were all a huge success and pivotal in gaining promotion. 

So although Plymouth are a team who beat the odds slightly, it wasn't a long term project, they heavily relied on outstanding loans and had to spend very competitive wages to gain promotion. 

This season we currently sit in 10th in wages and squad value and are underperforming again. Out of the top 8 current biggest spenders in this league, all 6 of the teams in the play offs currently occupy those slots in the top8 spend. 

It really is just about spending money in one way or another. It's so unlikely you'll ever see a team get promoted from this league doing it any other way. All the best coaches, scouts, players require decent cash, you can't do it on the cheap. Only a few have. 

We shouldn't have to be one of those clubs like Burton who did or Shrewsbury who nearly did as we have more at our disposal every season in this poxy league.
    Interested to know your sources on finances? Just enquiring
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    Any proposed solution to any complex problem which begins "it's simple..." is automatically wrong.

Sandgaard spent a lot of money but a lot of it was wasted on the  likes of Schwarzt and Kirk.

Of course, having a bigger budget is a huge advantage but you need to spend it well.

You need a good manager to coach the players you've brought in (radical idea but you could even let the manager pick those players).

You need the right sports science people and facilities to get and keep the players fit.

You need time and management to build a collection of individuals into a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Everything you just said is solved by money though and I am saying money gets you out of league 1, I understand the championship is a more complex beast (you spend even more money) 

A good manager, is secured by money or having knowledge of managers on the up, which you need to buy out from their club. 

A balanced squad you gain by spending money, good scouts are on good money, the right sports science, again money.

Everything you said just involves us spending more than the other teams to secure the top staff at this level? 

Sandgaards arrogance, was his downfall, not the size of his wallet. Had he had the right people in his ear, we wouldn't be in this league still. Unfortunately he's his own man and refused to have the humility to let people give him the advice he needed. 

Roland is old news and a lot more complex, he also had us in the championship whereas I am talking about league 1 here. Roland didn't spend the required cash to be competitive in the championship but that's a whole other argument.

Any ownership that comes in and talks about 'building projects' 'plans in place' is talking sh*t to save money. This league is tripe and it's no coincidence all the bigger spenders are in the top 8 (we'd probably be with a decent, non-journeyman manager)

You buy your way out of here, you aim to survive the following season in the championship and then you build there where players are more likely to stay and if they don't they go for reasonable fees. There is no long sustainability in this league or time for 'projects' as seen by our dwindling numbers and loss of interest in Charlton.
    It's not just money though, it's money and good decision making. The decision making is where we've been lacking for so so long

I understand where you are coming from though and I have sort of covered that by mentioning Sandgaard. 

Unfortunately based on our recent transfer history and the fact that Appleton is still in post, we evidently have neither currently until proven otherwise.
    Think Plymouth are a good example of decision making being more important. Not denying that they've spent money but they're a relatively small club for the Championship and location makes them a hard sell. But they have a good philosophy and set up which has led to 2 coaches in a row being poached. Neither were big name expensive hires. 
    Plymouth are a good example but also a bit of an anomaly with the points tally they gained, especially after losing their manager.

Plymouth aren't some fairytale story though, they were the 8th highest spenders in the league in terms of wages and squad value (we were 9th) and the only teams ranked above them were, in order: Peterborough, Derby, Bolton, Barnsley, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Sheffield Wednesday. All of those sides made up the top8 for that season, we were the only side in the top9 spend to not get top 9. 

They utilised the loan market extremely well securing Azaz, Whittaker and Mumba who were all a huge success and pivotal in gaining promotion. 

So although Plymouth are a team who beat the odds slightly, it wasn't a long term project, they heavily relied on outstanding loans and had to spend very competitive wages to gain promotion. 

This season we currently sit in 10th in wages and squad value and are underperforming again. Out of the top 8 current biggest spenders in this league, all 6 of the teams in the play offs currently occupy those slots in the top8 spend. 

It really is just about spending money in one way or another. It's so unlikely you'll ever see a team get promoted from this league doing it any other way. All the best coaches, scouts, players require decent cash, you can't do it on the cheap. Only a few have. 

We shouldn't have to be one of those clubs like Burton who did or Shrewsbury who nearly did as we have more at our disposal every season in this poxy league.
    There is absolutely no way that we are 10th in league 1 in terms of wages. We will be at least top 6, probably one of the highest 

Our problem is the amount of wages we have wasted or are tied up on players like Kirk, Aneke, Payne, Jaiyesimi, Camara etc that we don’t actually use 
  • Going to be yet another shite window, signing injury prone players who've hardly played in 6 months. Set for yet another season in this shit league.
  • Also we are looking to replace Dobson and CBT, both of them have their limitations but both are proven performers for us.  In the last 2 and a half years it is hard to recall too many successfull signings, performing up to their level over that period. We have had players have a decent season but not many be as consistent as Dobbo over two and a bit seasons or as exciting as CBT. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 4
    We spend enough to say the owners deserve to lose every penny of what their mismanagement costs us every year. Some would wish them to spend more, which will only worsen those losses if done unwisely.

I wonder what others in the game think of us now after years of tom foolery at the top, only desperate players willing to sign up. It was telling for me that Powell couldn't be tempted to return under this lot. I doubt the reason why was the salary offered and you can't criticise the club for targeting him (yes I know, it might have been to try and win favour with fans and wasn't a serious offer, but an approach was made)

It may be we only get what we get because we remain an unattractive proposition to our favoured targets. Until there is evidence the club is on the up, they're much less likely to sign. I think it's the point Curb's makes a lot. Positive results help sell the club, and we've entered the window with the losing mentality firmly entrenched again.
  • edited January 4
    NabySarr said:
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

There is absolutely no way that we are 10th in league 1 in terms of wages. We will be at least top 6, probably one of the highest 

Our problem is the amount of wages we have wasted or are tied up on players like Kirk, Aneke, Payne, Jaiyesimi, Camara etc that we don’t actually use 
    Fraser must be on a fair wedge as well. Then there's the likes of Taylor, McGrandles, Aneke and Isted probably on (at a guess) at least 15k a week combined to sit in the treatment room.
  • I certainly understand the cynicism being displayed about the prospects for this window but it is only the 4th January and perhaps we should wait and see what transpires before we run a hot bath. At this point I’m still very hopeful based on encouraging information we’ve seen from various credible posters. Frankly. I don’t see an alternative to significant squad strengthening. 
    To be fair, cynicism will have no effect on the deals, just maybe upset the ever dwindling rosier members of the fan base. 

We heard a lot of positive talk in the summer that did not come anything. 

Not one fan on here would not wish to be wrong about our doubts, they can prove themselves by recruiting a team and coaching staff that turn us in to a promotion team. 

As so far the "football people" have failed to improve on Sandgaard Jr