Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited January 3
    It’s all gone a bit quiet on Gillesphey, I hope that happens as he ticks all boxes of what we need at the moment 
    Apologies if already been said.

Plymouth supporting friend of mine reckons he failed his medical.

Never stopped us before. Wait another week and retest. He'll be signed, then out of action til 2026 after ligament damage from a trip on the door step
  • edited January 3
    You need both money and good decision making in an ideal world.

To illustration a point, let’s look at the two extremes: infinite money paired with the worst decision makers in football versus no money paired with the best decision makers in football.

I think I’d put my money on the latter club being more successful than the first. There’s no point having infinite money if you can’t identify the best people to spend it on (eg Charlton). In contrast, if you make the best decisions while having no money, you can still make a fist of it (eg Stevenage). If you have both, you’ll usually trump the lot of them (eg Ipswich).

I’d suggest that, where overall success is concerned, the best possible decision making can make up for having the least money. On the other hand, to make up for the worst decisions, you need a humongous stack of cash to pay for mistake after mistake that no sane owner is going to burn through for a third tier football team.
  • fenaddick said:
    no idea how true this is but it is a rumours thread after all 
    PWR

I was speaking with someone I know who is involved with Swindon (director) & he confirmed Kemp left today. He didn’t make any mention about us being interested in him.
  • Braziliance
    "You can have all the decision making in the world but cash trumps all."
    That is rubbish - even with the cash if you make the wrong decisions you get nowhere, however with less cash and the right decisions you can get somewhere
    Yeah total rubbish mate, completely ignore the fact that all the biggest spenders in this league are finishing in the top6 or just outside it year after year.

We have never spent the cash enough and failed to find that out for ourselves, the one time we did we made a joke of this league. 

Why are you using a scenario where we should be aspiring to be a league 1 side punching above their weight?

We aren't in that position and even if we were, as proven season after season, you'll stay in this league, other than the odd anomaly
    First of all I'm not your mate, so please ditch the familiarity

Secondly I'm not suggesting that we should punch above our weight, after all what is our weight?

I do agree with you that sound finances help a club prosper but I suggest that is no good without wise decision making.
     Good point mate 
    Don't take the p*** mate.
  • Brownie12 said:
    It’s all gone a bit quiet on Gillesphey, I hope that happens as he ticks all boxes of what we need at the moment 

When have we ever let a minor detail like that get in the way?!?!?
    Dabo
  • edited January 3
    fenaddick said:
    no idea how true this is but it is a rumours thread after all 
    PWR

I was speaking with someone I know who is involved with Swindon (director) & he confirmed Kemp left today. He didn’t make any mention about us being interested in him.
    He was recalled from his MK Dons loan two days ago. It doesn’t seem as though it’s anything more than they want him playing for them, not another team in the same division.
  • edited January 3
    Also remember that that Twitter account (TransferCentre9) has posted consistent BS transfer rumours for 9+ years.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 3
    Double whammy for Swindon - the other bloke they had up front has been recalled by Bradford. 

Kemp - 14 goals, 8 assists
    Young - 16 goals, 4 assists

Imagine if we lost two players like that on January 1st and January 2nd. Like losing Alfie and Corey without replacing them. Ouch.

• It’s all gone a bit quiet on Gillesphey, I hope that happens as he ticks all boxes of what we need at the moment 

Fuck me he must be in intensive care to have failed our medical
    Also begs the question, how did the 30 other sicknotes sneak in under the radar, in the last 10 years?
  • Braziliance
    That is rubbish - even with the cash if you make the wrong decisions you get nowhere, however with less cash and the right decisions you can get somewhere
    In all of football, the best gauge of knowing where a team will finish is the wage total of the squad. It has a fairly good correlation with the actual league table. 

Sure, some smart decision making will get you to outperform, but the average higher wage squad will finish higher than a lower wage one. Money trumps. 
    But we are already one of the biggest spenders in this league.

You need to spend but you also need to spend it well and then have a good environment from which to grow a winning team.
    We are definitely underperforming relative to our outlay. 

It clearly points to our issues being about what we spend our money on, rather than the money spend itself. 

If you take an extreme example, Chelsea + Man Utd spending all their money and playing poorly will probably net them a 12-14th place finish. Luton could make some great purchases with their revenue but will still likely go down anyway. Money trumps all. 
  • Braziliance
    Yeah total rubbish mate, completely ignore the fact that all the biggest spenders in this league are finishing in the top6 or just outside it year after year.

We have never spent the cash enough and failed to find that out for ourselves, the one time we did we made a joke of this league. 

Why are you using a scenario where we should be aspiring to be a league 1 side punching above their weight?

We aren't in that position and even if we were, as proven season after season, you'll stay in this league, other than the odd anomaly

Secondly I'm not suggesting that we should punch above our weight, after all what is our weight?

I do agree with you that sound finances help a club prosper but I suggest that is no good without wise decision making.
    Jesus Christ, if we are going to start being pedantic then there's no point in having a conversation. 

You've clearly got a bee in your bonnet about me, so like how you've suggested I don't refer to you as 'mate', in what I see as an endearing term, I'll just suggest we don't have a conversation at all.

All the best lancashire lad 
    well said Pal
  • Braziliance

Jesus Christ, if we are going to start being pedantic then there's no point in having a conversation. 

You've clearly got a bee in your bonnet about me, so like how you've suggested I don't refer to you as 'mate', in what I see as an endearing term, I'll just suggest we don't have a conversation at all.

Have you met Charlton Life?? 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Braziliance

Good point mate 
    Don't take the p*** mate.
    Kin hell pot and kettle springs to mind! HNY 😉
  • Fans falling out with fans
    Technical Directors falling out with managers
    Players falling out with managers
    Ear cups here
    ‘Sacked in the morning’ chants there. 

Whatever next!

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone grasses me up for sneaking my Heineken up to my seat the way things are going.
    Best throw that over some of the players as it is the beer that refreshes parts other beers cannot reach.

• Braziliance

Mate! I'd avoid the bloke, he's got that CL elitist thing going on. 
  • edited January 3

Is he off …👀
    Tedic is in Belgrade on his insta now as well for what it’s worth
  • follett said:

Is he off …👀
    Tedic is in Belgrade on his insta now as well for what it’s worth
    Players might have been given a couple of days off, we have had a lot of games recently