Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• "Crystal Palace have had numerous bids for Peterborough and England youth defender Ronnie Edwards, 20, turned down. They face competition from up to five Premier League clubs with the League One club holding out for up to £10m".

Might explain why Peterborough aren't in a rush to accept low bids for Clarke-Harris.
    I think the two things will ultimately be fairly separate. Peterborough are in a bit of a jam because they love their hard negotiating stance but it's also well known that they absolutely will not let a player leave on a free in the summer when they could get money for him in January. People won't like it but I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he ended up going somewhere on deadline day for a reasonable fee as Peterborough run out of time to get something for him. In footballing terms it's not ideal but in business terms it makes sense, and we all know which of those generally wins out

The Peterborough owner has said a few times he expects JCH to go early in the window.  Take it with a pinch of salt but they won't want to leave it too late and risk it stalling like in the summer.
    Peterborough have no money. They need to sell to buy any players for their promotion push.
    Peterborough will get around £21 million if Arsenal or Chelsea pay £100m for Toney. They have a 30 per cent sell on clause with Brentford but have the same percentage sell on clause with Newcastle who they signed Toney from. If this goes through then JCH money is peanuts to them 
    Peterborough have no say in or any level of control over the Toney sale, which may or may (probably) not happen. They're in a great position and if they need to strengthen their squad they'll need to deal with the knowns, not the unknowns.
  • The Peterboroughs GH owner has denied there is a sell on clause saying no one pays £10M for a L1 player and gives a 30% sell on clause and that the rumours led to him going back to check the contract.
    He talks crap so who knows of course.
  • dickad1 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Peterbro won’t sell Clarke -Harris to us until after we played them couple of weeks time , between now and then there hoping that Huddersfield or Stoke or another league one side will start an auction may for  him and pay more money … 

I appreciate everyone is entitled to an opinion, but i don't think this is the case.
    Peterborough are 20 points ahead of us and have a GD of more than 30 over us.  They are far out of our sight, with or without Clarke-Harris.

Except the three points alone are hugely valuable in their current league position - all but guaranteed against the powderpuff frontline we put out on New Year's Day or May in a suboptimal position, much less so against a CAFC with Alfie May playing off a half decent target man. 
    Well obviously all points are important to all teams in all leagues, but it doesn't hold up L1 players being bought or sold.

Losing Ronnie Edwards will have a bigger impact on them than anything else.
  • ross1 said:
    Melrose said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Brownie12 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Before Saturday I'd guess just Gillesphey, not sure what his fitness is like in terms of him being involved though. Unless something else is quite advanced with one of the other names that have been mentioned/rumoured on here then I'd expect just him. 
    Unfortunately he has passed his medical, we are waiting for him to fail one before announcing him. 
    Is he shit, then ?
    Probably. One of their fans says he's too slow. Sound familiar!!!
    Only us oldies remember one of the best CB in UK, Bobby Moore and he had no speed just new how and when to tackle
    I was going to say that but there's no centre half that could match him today.
  • cabbles said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Surprised we haven't had any official announcement yet about Abankwah going back or anyone else for that matter. Seemed like yesterday a lot of clubs were announcing loan terminations and things . Cheltenham have sent back 5 of their 6 after Darrell Clarke took over
    Jan 31st

Charlton Athletic are delighted to announce the signings of the ‘Cheltenham 5’ on loan for the rest of the 23/24 season.

Luciano D'Auria-Henry (Fulham), Oli Hammond (Nottingham Forest), Josh Williams (Birmingham City), Jovan Malcolm (West Bromwich Albion) and Cameron Peupion (Brighton and Hove Albion) were unable to make their mark at Waddon Road as Cheltenham struggled to break out the bottom 4 of league one, but with Appleton unsuccessful in bringing in any players of real quality and note, the closer we got to the deadline, it was important to bolster the squad in the run in as we battle relegation after no wins in January.

Michael is aware that these  may not be the players fans were expecting after being linked with the likes of Johnson Clarke Harris earlier in the window, but he’s confident that the experience the 5 gained earlier in the season when Cheltenham took 14 league games to record their first win, bodes well for the Addicks and their current form

Michael looks forward to telling us all how well they’ve all competed in matches to come, and that we’re not that far off a challenge for promotion in future years if 2 or 3 of them sign permanent deals.

The new signings have already been integrated into Charlton’s style of play when Scott Fraser spent 20 minutes in training pointing to where he wants them to close down players on his behalf 
    I hate posts like this, not because they are not funny and light hearted. I hate them because they were written in jest but have a large element of reality to them!
  • Peterbro won’t sell Clarke -Harris to us until after we played them couple of weeks time , between now and then there hoping that Huddersfield or Stoke or another league one side will start an auction may for  him and pay more money … 

Why? Peterborough have to play pretty much half the teams in this league. Does it matter if JCH plays against them in January for us, or February, or March etc for another league 1 team?
  • It's unusual for talk of plausible signings to make its way to reliable sources like Cawley at SLP this early in the window
    No way of knowing if that's cos stuff is moving and positive
    Or just new people in post who are far better at running bullshit up flagpoles to keep we gullible addickted under the illusion  fings ain't as bad as they seem?

JCH from Posh has to be the least likely for several reasons mentioned already
    Gillesphey could be an upgrade cos our CH bar is so low, he ain't played much lately so he fits that essential criterion for recent signings
    A youngish Irish West Ham midfielder fires memories of Josh Cullen, so that's another one we're happy to lap up
  • Peterbro won’t sell Clarke -Harris to us until after we played them couple of weeks time , between now and then there hoping that Huddersfield or Stoke or another league one side will start an auction may for  him and pay more money … 

Why? Peterborough have to play pretty much half the teams in this league. Does it matter if JCH plays against them in January for us, or February, or March etc for another league 1 team?
    It does until he signs for someone else. That’ll then be due to his new club overpaying the fee/wages or Peterborough’s unrealistic demands. We’ll be told we’re saving the money for the summer when prices are more realistic and players are out of contract.

Because we are the only club potentially interested whereby they can both influence their own points total and still receive a fee.  I agree it wouldn’t impact when in January they sell to Derby, say, if they were going to do so anyway. 

To me it’s not unreasonable to think this might be a factor in their thinking as to the timing of things alongside many others.  There’s doubtless a price at which they would sell him to us today.  It’s a game of poker which they appear to play pretty well more often than not. 

Timing of this deal, and others, much less important to us now than it was a few weeks ago if you take the view we are not in danger of going down. We just need to exit the window with a handful of players who will improve us next season, and that in turn should deal with any residual relegation worries.  This isn’t to say we will have a good window, but I suspect it will play out differently to many of the recent ones, and those of us still with an open mind will be able to make a better judgement as to whether those now in charge of Charlton are serious about on field success, capable and credible. 

• Sponsored links:

• Garrymanilow said:
    I'm a little bit neutral on the JCH signing as I don't think people are going to like him as much as they think if he does sign. He's pretty much the opposite of Alfie May as a striker; when he's scoring he's popular but when he's not he tends to get fans' backs up because his on-pitch attitude doesn't look as good and he doesn't contribute a huge amount to phases of play. I can see him having a bit of a goalscoring drought and getting the fans on his back, especially if he comes in to play as the 9 and fans see him as essentially aiding in May being pushed out to the right again, which is what Appleton will most likely do. Ideally he'd come in, immediately start scoring and link up well with May but when has the ideal ever happened for us? We will see
    Kermorgant
  • Southbank said:
    Garrymanilow said:
    I'm a little bit neutral on the JCH signing as I don't think people are going to like him as much as they think if he does sign. He's pretty much the opposite of Alfie May as a striker; when he's scoring he's popular but when he's not he tends to get fans' backs up because his on-pitch attitude doesn't look as good and he doesn't contribute a huge amount to phases of play. I can see him having a bit of a goalscoring drought and getting the fans on his back, especially if he comes in to play as the 9 and fans see him as essentially aiding in May being pushed out to the right again, which is what Appleton will most likely do. Ideally he'd come in, immediately start scoring and link up well with May but when has the ideal ever happened for us? We will see
    Kermorgant
    Kermorgant added a lot to overall build up and play, he'd often drop back and be a good outlet at the top. Even if losing he'd look like he put a shift in. 

Wright-Phillips would probably be closer as if he didn't get service he'd look out of the game completely. 
  • Southbank said:
    Garrymanilow said:
    Kermorgant
    Kishishev. What are we doing?
    Kanu? Maybe naming Charlton players who surname starts with K.
  • Any proposed solution to any complex problem which begins "it's simple..." is automatically wrong.

Just spending money isn't enough.

Duchatelet spent so much he lost £13m in a season and we got relegated.

Sandgaard spent a lot of money but a lot of it was wasted on the  likes of Schwarzt and Kirk.

Spending in itself isn't enough, this is the real world not football manager.

Of course, having a bigger budget is a huge advantage but you need to spend it well.

You need a good manager to coach the players you've brought in (radical idea but you could even let the manager pick those players).

You need a balanced squad, you need experience, leadership and flexibility.

You need good  recruitment so you get the right personalities.

You need good scouting to see what opposition are doing.

You need the right sports science people and facilities to get and keep the players fit.

You need good facilities and infrastructure to back up all of that.

You need time and management to build a collection of individuals into a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

No, it's not "simple". That's what Sandgaard and Duchatelet thought.

We've yet to see if GFP are any better.

Right, back to some rumours now.

Everything you just said is solved by money though and I am saying money gets you out of league 1, I understand the championship is a more complex beast (you spend even more money) 

A good manager, is secured by money or having knowledge of managers on the up, which you need to buy out from their club. 

A balanced squad you gain by spending money, good scouts are on good money, the right sports science, again money.

Everything you said just involves us spending more than the other teams to secure the top staff at this level? 

Sandgaards arrogance, was his downfall, not the size of his wallet. Had he had the right people in his ear, we wouldn't be in this league still. Unfortunately he's his own man and refused to have the humility to let people give him the advice he needed. 

Roland is old news and a lot more complex, he also had us in the championship whereas I am talking about league 1 here. Roland didn't spend the required cash to be competitive in the championship but that's a whole other argument.

Any ownership that comes in and talks about 'building projects' 'plans in place' is talking sh*t to save money. This league is tripe and it's no coincidence all the bigger spenders are in the top 8 (we'd probably be with a decent, non-journeyman manager)

You buy your way out of here, you aim to survive the following season in the championship and then you build there where players are more likely to stay and if they don't they go for reasonable fees. There is no long sustainability in this league or time for 'projects' as seen by our dwindling numbers and loss of interest in Charlton.
    It's not just money though, it's money and good decision making. The decision making is where we've been lacking for so so long
  • Karma karma karma karma chameleon 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 3
    Jan 31st

The new signings have already been integrated into Charlton’s style of play when Scott Fraser spent 20 minutes in training pointing to where he wants them to close down players on his behalf 

I fucking love this - made me laugh about something Charlton related for the first time since I missed a game being streamed through being at work back in november!
  • fenaddick said:
    Any proposed solution to any complex problem which begins "it's simple..." is automatically wrong.

Sandgaard spent a lot of money but a lot of it was wasted on the  likes of Schwarzt and Kirk.

Of course, having a bigger budget is a huge advantage but you need to spend it well.

You need a good manager to coach the players you've brought in (radical idea but you could even let the manager pick those players).

You need the right sports science people and facilities to get and keep the players fit.

You need time and management to build a collection of individuals into a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Everything you just said is solved by money though and I am saying money gets you out of league 1, I understand the championship is a more complex beast (you spend even more money) 

A good manager, is secured by money or having knowledge of managers on the up, which you need to buy out from their club. 

A balanced squad you gain by spending money, good scouts are on good money, the right sports science, again money.

Everything you said just involves us spending more than the other teams to secure the top staff at this level? 

Sandgaards arrogance, was his downfall, not the size of his wallet. Had he had the right people in his ear, we wouldn't be in this league still. Unfortunately he's his own man and refused to have the humility to let people give him the advice he needed. 

Roland is old news and a lot more complex, he also had us in the championship whereas I am talking about league 1 here. Roland didn't spend the required cash to be competitive in the championship but that's a whole other argument.

Any ownership that comes in and talks about 'building projects' 'plans in place' is talking sh*t to save money. This league is tripe and it's no coincidence all the bigger spenders are in the top 8 (we'd probably be with a decent, non-journeyman manager)

You buy your way out of here, you aim to survive the following season in the championship and then you build there where players are more likely to stay and if they don't they go for reasonable fees. There is no long sustainability in this league or time for 'projects' as seen by our dwindling numbers and loss of interest in Charlton.
    It's not just money though, it's money and good decision making. The decision making is where we've been lacking for so so long
    You can have all the decision making in the world but cash trumps all. 

I understand where you are coming from though and I have sort of covered that by mentioning Sandgaard. 

Unfortunately based on our recent transfer history and the fact that Appleton is still in post, we evidently have neither currently until proven otherwise.
  • edited January 3
    cabbles said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Surprised we haven't had any official announcement yet about Abankwah going back or anyone else for that matter. Seemed like yesterday a lot of clubs were announcing loan terminations and things . Cheltenham have sent back 5 of their 6 after Darrell Clarke took over
    Jan 31st

Charlton Athletic are delighted to announce the signings of the ‘Cheltenham 5’ on loan for the rest of the 23/24 season.

Luciano D'Auria-Henry (Fulham), Oli Hammond (Nottingham Forest), Josh Williams (Birmingham City), Jovan Malcolm (West Bromwich Albion) and Cameron Peupion (Brighton and Hove Albion) were unable to make their mark at Waddon Road as Cheltenham struggled to break out the bottom 4 of league one, but with Appleton unsuccessful in bringing in any players of real quality and note, the closer we got to the deadline, it was important to bolster the squad in the run in as we battle relegation after no wins in January.

Michael is aware that these  may not be the players fans were expecting after being linked with the likes of Johnson Clarke Harris earlier in the window, but he’s confident that the experience the 5 gained earlier in the season when Cheltenham took 14 league games to record their first win, bodes well for the Addicks and their current form

Michael looks forward to telling us all how well they’ve all competed in matches to come, and that we’re not that far off a challenge for promotion in future years if 2 or 3 of them sign permanent deals.

I fucking love this - made me laugh about something Charlton related for the first time since I missed a game being streamed through being at work back in november!
  • fenaddick said:
    Any proposed solution to any complex problem which begins "it's simple..." is automatically wrong.

You can have all the decision making in the world but cash trumps all. 

I understand where you are coming from though and I have sort of covered that by mentioning Sandgaard. 

Unfortunately based on our recent transfer history and the fact that Appleton is still in post, we evidently have neither currently until proven otherwise.
    Think Plymouth are a good example of decision making being more important. Not denying that they've spent money but they're a relatively small club for the Championship and location makes them a hard sell. But they have a good philosophy and set up which has led to 2 coaches in a row being poached. Neither were big name expensive hires. 
  • A new signing will be like Terry Taylor when he comes back
  • Southbank said:
    Garrymanilow said:
    Kermorgant
    Kishishev. What are we doing?
    Kanu? Maybe naming Charlton players who surname starts with K.
    Kinsella
  • Scoham said:
    PWADDICK said:
    I don't see us getting Conor Coventry. Featured for West Ham on the bench, I don't see him dropping down to league 1 on a permanent. 

I think that link stinks of agent talk/ the club giving Cawley something to post as we trust him and it may take the heat off them.

Sort of like how I am interested in Dua Lipa but she has the pick of most blokes in the world & I'm just a tubby lad from London
    Apart from half a season in the championship he’s only played League 1 football
    It is more so it being a permanent transfer.

Good player but I reckon this one is unlikely. If we did manage it however and kept Dobson, that would be a cracking midfield duo 
    He’s 24 in March and has been said he’ll be leaving West Ham at the end of his contract. I’d imagine they’d rather get a fee for him perhaps with a sell on clause rather than lose him for nothing in the summer.

He’s had four loan spells, two in L1 and two in the Championship, both of the latter with smaller clubs in Posh and Rotherham. If he was going to seriously interest Championship clubs he’d have probably left WH by now.

He’s also played under MA at Lincoln and will be available, I’d be surprised if we weren’t interested.

It’s not the sort of signing we’ve made before but for all those reasons he seems a realistic target to me. We need to bring in experience but if we’re making several signings a few like Coventry who have some but are young enough to improve would make sense.
    I have seen today Posh fans saying he wasn't very good and they sent him back. 

I see them as sort of a gatekeeper/benchmark team in this league and of the opinion if they don't rate him, is he good enough for us? 

JCH is different as if he had a longer contract he'd still be playing for them, he's simply just ran his race there so it's a signing that makes sense.

Only time will tell but I think Peterborough fans have a decent idea on who's a good player and who's not as they've had the luxury of watching a lot of the better players in this league for a number of years 
  • You can either be really smart or spend a fortune for success, my worry from the start is this lot believe they are smarter then they are.

We will see if anything seriously changes this month.