Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Are we expecting any signing before Saturday?
    Looks like Gillesphey is pretty much done so him aside, who knows, interesting that we havent announced that yet, are we waiting for someone else to sign the dotted line to do a double announcement perhaps? 
    Looks like Gillesphey is pretty much done so him aside, who knows, interesting that we havent announced that yet, are we waiting for someone else to sign the dotted line to do a double announcement perhaps? 
    Think people overthink these announcements a bit. The comms team will announce any signing as soon as they're allowed. If they don't then it makes it tricky to get training photos, those videos of the players coming out the changing rooms etc. He probably just hasn't quite signed yet. Don't think he would have been in the lounges if he wasn't going to sign though
  • Before Saturday I'd guess just Gillesphey, not sure what his fitness is like in terms of him being involved though. Unless something else is quite advanced with one of the other names that have been mentioned/rumoured on here then I'd expect just him. 
  • "Crystal Palace have had numerous bids for Peterborough and England youth defender Ronnie Edwards, 20, turned down. They face competition from up to five Premier League clubs with the League One club holding out for up to £10m".

Might explain why Peterborough aren't in a rush to accept low bids for Clarke-Harris.
    I think the two things will ultimately be fairly separate. Peterborough are in a bit of a jam because they love their hard negotiating stance but it's also well known that they absolutely will not let a player leave on a free in the summer when they could get money for him in January. People won't like it but I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he ended up going somewhere on deadline day for a reasonable fee as Peterborough run out of time to get something for him. In footballing terms it's not ideal but in business terms it makes sense, and we all know which of those generally wins out
  • Any proposed solution to any complex problem which begins "it's simple..." is automatically wrong.

Just spending money isn't enough.

Duchatelet spent so much he lost £13m in a season and we got relegated.

Sandgaard spent a lot of money but a lot of it was wasted on the  likes of Schwarzt and Kirk.

Spending in itself isn't enough, this is the real world not football manager.

Of course, having a bigger budget is a huge advantage but you need to spend it well.

You need a good manager to coach the players you've brought in (radical idea but you could even let the manager pick those players).

You need a balanced squad, you need experience, leadership and flexibility.

You need good  recruitment so you get the right personalities.

You need good scouting to see what opposition are doing.

You need the right sports science people and facilities to get and keep the players fit.

You need good facilities and infrastructure to back up all of that.

You need time and management to build a collection of individuals into a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

No, it's not "simple". That's what Sandgaard and Duchatelet thought.

We've yet to see if GFP are any better.

Right, back to some rumours now.

Absolutely this. Those old enough will recall Big Mouth (Malcolm Alison) had a huge budget at Man City and was happy to spend it. No success though.
  • "Crystal Palace have had numerous bids for Peterborough and England youth defender Ronnie Edwards, 20, turned down. They face competition from up to five Premier League clubs with the League One club holding out for up to £10m".

Might explain why Peterborough aren't in a rush to accept low bids for Clarke-Harris.
    I think the two things will ultimately be fairly separate. Peterborough are in a bit of a jam because they love their hard negotiating stance but it's also well known that they absolutely will not let a player leave on a free in the summer when they could get money for him in January. People won't like it but I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he ended up going somewhere on deadline day for a reasonable fee as Peterborough run out of time to get something for him. In footballing terms it's not ideal but in business terms it makes sense, and we all know which of those generally wins out

The Peterborough owner has said a few times he expects JCH to go early in the window.  Take it with a pinch of salt but they won't want to leave it too late and risk it stalling like in the summer.
  • With JCH could we not just agree a deal to sign him in the summer since he's got less than 6months left? We clearly aren't going up this season 
  • With JCH could we not just agree a deal to sign him in the summer since he's got less than 6months left? We clearly aren't going up this season 
    No, teams in Europe can do that but not if you're competing in the same country. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Brownie12 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Before Saturday I'd guess just Gillesphey, not sure what his fitness is like in terms of him being involved though. Unless something else is quite advanced with one of the other names that have been mentioned/rumoured on here then I'd expect just him. 
    Unfortunately he has passed his medical, we are waiting for him to fail one before announcing him. 
    Is he shit, then ?
  • BigDiddy said:
    Brownie12 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Before Saturday I'd guess just Gillesphey, not sure what his fitness is like in terms of him being involved though. Unless something else is quite advanced with one of the other names that have been mentioned/rumoured on here then I'd expect just him. 
    Unfortunately he has passed his medical, we are waiting for him to fail one before announcing him. 
    Is he shit, then ?
    Probably. One of their fans says he's too slow. Sound familiar!!!
  • edited January 3
    I don't see us getting Conor Coventry. Featured for West Ham on the bench, I don't see him dropping down to league 1 on a permanent. 

I think that link stinks of agent talk/ the club giving Cawley something to post as we trust him and it may take the heat off them.

Sort of like how I am interested in Dua Lipa but she has the pick of most blokes in the world & I'm just a tubby lad from London
    There no heat on the owners blimey only been in the role 5 mins .. going to take rest of this season and next to sort out the mis management of the last 10/12 years … and for us to have the structure and foundations to build a top 2 team upon 
    I think they might have sold up and got out, Ronnie,  within 2 years , when the penny finally drops and they realise they are going to keep getting asked for a bigger and bigger budget, and more cash to burn, but hey ho, its all about opinions, none of us really know.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Let's be realistic, Dobson is leaving, whether it be in January or the Summer. But a midfield two of Terry Taylor and Conor Coventry is a very attractive proposition. 
    CCxTT. 

Hopefully not a pair of cxxts
    https://youtu.be/cc3M1nppd3c?si=L49Xuy87YdUP9UdS
  • Bournesnr said:
    Melrose said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Brownie12 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Is he shit, then ?
    Pearce wasn’t fast but at the moment I’d take him all day long.
    You may be right sir. But pace is pretty important in the modern game. If a forward knows he's got you for pace it can be devasting. Unless you're CBT of course. 😀

The Peterborough owner has said a few times he expects JCH to go early in the window.  Take it with a pinch of salt but they won't want to leave it too late and risk it stalling like in the summer.
    Peterborough have no money. They need to sell to buy any players for their promotion push.
  • fenaddick said:
    With JCH could we not just agree a deal to sign him in the summer since he's got less than 6months left? We clearly aren't going up this season 
    No, teams in Europe can do that but not if you're competing in the same country. 
    Ahh didn't realise that! Thank you!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bournesnr said:
    Melrose said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Brownie12 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Is he shit, then ?
    Pearce wasn’t fast but at the moment I’d take him all day long.
    John Terry wasn't overly fast either, unless he was getting a phone call from Mrs Bridge - Remember him saying that the trick was to read where the ball was going, and get there before the ball does.
    Teddy Sheringham was a good example of this. Never the fastest, but made up for it by the way he read the game
  • There’s a difference between a slow CB like Pearce who was part of a promotion team but didn’t have enough to remain a Championship player and someone like Gary Doherty who by the time he played for us was too slow for L1.

Both had won L1 promotions before playing for us, comes down to our recruitment team being confident Gillesphey’s legs haven’t gone and aren’t going any time soon. Believe he’s played LB and left side of a back three which is a good sign, a CB with no pace at all would usually struggle in those positions.
  • Scoham said:
    There’s a difference between a slow CB like Pearce who was part of a promotion team but didn’t have enough to remain a Championship player and someone like Gary Doherty who by the time he played for us was too slow for L1.

Both had won L1 promotions before playing for us, comes down to our recruitment team being confident Gillesphey’s legs haven’t gone and aren’t going any time soon. Believe he’s played LB and left side of a back three which is a good sign, a CB with no pace at all would usually struggle in those positions.
    Knowing our recruitment team, he'll be slower than Doherty. I have absolutely no faith in them bringing the right players in. Even if they did Appleton would manage to play em all in the wong positions.
  • Melrose said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Brownie12 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Is he shit, then ?
    Oh no I was raising my hopes
  • Slow, injury prone and cheap.

The GFP recruitment formula in a nutshell. 
  • BigDiddy said:
    Brownie12 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Is he shit, then ?
    I should imagine that he is a decent player. Give Appleton a few days with him and he will no doubt turn to shit. 

But I doubt Edwards is in his last six months of his contract and can walk for nothing if he’s not out the door in four weeks. 
    Well yes but if Peterborough know they've got bids of say 8m+ on the table for Edwards they are probably in less of a rush to accept 400k for JCH. They're probably thinking they'll just wait and see if they get an increased panic offer nearer the deadline for him, and if not then at worst they'll take 300-400k on deadline day.

Peterborough have no money. They need to sell to buy any players for their promotion push.
    They have a bidding war going for Edwards which will solve all their issues, so they have no need to panic.