Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• PWADDICK said:
    I don't see us getting Conor Coventry. Featured for West Ham on the bench, I don't see him dropping down to league 1 on a permanent. 

I think that link stinks of agent talk/ the club giving Cawley something to post as we trust him and it may take the heat off them.

Sort of like how I am interested in Dua Lipa but she has the pick of most blokes in the world & I'm just a tubby lad from London
    Apart from half a season in the championship he’s only played League 1 football
    It is more so it being a permanent transfer.

Good player but I reckon this one is unlikely. If we did manage it however and kept Dobson, that would be a cracking midfield duo 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Valley11 said:

Macauley Gillesphey, Conor Coventry and JCH would be a decent start. But we’d still need more. Three more of the same experience and quality would be a statement of intent. And keeping CBT and Dobbo. 
    It would. But only 1 is "done" and the other 2 are in the "rumours" thread for a reason.

My take on those 3 -

Gillesphey will sign this week
    JCH is  50/50
    Coventry in a non starter. 

And I'm not ITK but just following my instincts over previous windows where those ITK are feed stories for our consumption.
    Think you are right, as I said he isn’t a name I have heard. The player I heard, has played in this division and did well, and actually has done okay in the championship as well, only reason he isn’t playing now, os because the club started to invest more money.

if he signs I think he will be a decent player 
    Coventry rumour might have been ‘leaked’ to push that one along then?

Or he could be 2nd choice target?
    Or leaked to encourage Dobson to sign the latest ‘take it or leave it’ contract extension (before we look to bring in a replacement).
  • I don't see us getting Conor Coventry. Featured for West Ham on the bench, I don't see him dropping down to league 1 on a permanent. 

I think that link stinks of agent talk/ the club giving Cawley something to post as we trust him and it may take the heat off them.

Sort of like how I am interested in Dua Lipa but she has the pick of most blokes in the world & I'm just a tubby lad from London
    There no heat on the owners blimey only been in the role 5 mins .. going to take rest of this season and next to sort out the mis management of the last 10/12 years … and for us to have the structure and foundations to build a top 2 team upon 
    Well there is I'd say and they really haven't. 

It's also not that hard to turn around? You literally just pay the going rate for players like every other successful club does at this level or you're full of sh*t and don't. 

Portsmouth have a fairly new manager, signed a ton of new players and are flying? All this building and project stuff is nonsense and to trick fans.

You assign a manager worth their salt, you get a squad full of players of the quality of the likes of Dobson, May and CBT in every position. You then get promoted as it's league 1. You build teams in the championship where it's all about sustainability, if you're a big club, you buy your way out of league 1. Really is that simple I'm afraid 
    AND (and at the risk of sounding like Golfaddick), you bring them in early in the summer, so that you can spend pre season (and especially the overseas tour) building them into a team. When they went overseas in early July, they had already signed 9 players, whereas when we did a similar trip, we'd only signed 3, and had MASSIVE gaps in the squad.

At the time there was scepticism here that they'd bought in any old players, rather than waiting for the right ones, but the proof of the pudding is in their results when compared to ours.
    Yep, it really is that simple. You basically spend cash and that's that. You can't build teams as if you fail to get promotion, all the decent players move on. The only reason the likes of Wednesday, Sunderland, Derby and Ipswich got away with it, is they were paying big wages.

You look at most auto promoted sides over the years and they all are just big spenders or newly relegated sides. 

I think if Bolton manage to go up this season, they're the only real example I can think of where a side has kept managers and players and slowly built their way to promotion. I am amazed they've managed to hold on to that squad but I reckon if they don't go up this year that will be that and they'll be on a rebuild.

I like the look of the players we are being linked with so far, all very positive, but I am definitely  a half glass empty/cautious type, so until those players are through the door, question marks all over the ownership..
  • I don't see us getting Conor Coventry. Featured for West Ham on the bench, I don't see him dropping down to league 1 on a permanent. 

There no heat on the owners blimey only been in the role 5 mins .. going to take rest of this season and next to sort out the mis management of the last 10/12 years … and for us to have the structure and foundations to build a top 2 team upon 

It's also not that hard to turn around? You literally just pay the going rate for players like every other successful club does at this level or you're full of sh*t and don't. 

Portsmouth have a fairly new manager, signed a ton of new players and are flying? All this building and project stuff is nonsense and to trick fans.

You assign a manager worth their salt, you get a squad full of players of the quality of the likes of Dobson, May and CBT in every position. You then get promoted as it's league 1. You build teams in the championship where it's all about sustainability, if you're a big club, you buy your way out of league 1. Really is that simple I'm afraid 
    AND (and at the risk of sounding like Golfaddick), you bring them in early in the summer, so that you can spend pre season (and especially the overseas tour) building them into a team. When they went overseas in early July, they had already signed 9 players, whereas when we did a similar trip, we'd only signed 3, and had MASSIVE gaps in the squad.

At the time there was scepticism here that they'd bought in any old players, rather than waiting for the right ones, but the proof of the pudding is in their results when compared to ours.
    👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
  • PWADDICK said:
    I don't see us getting Conor Coventry. Featured for West Ham on the bench, I don't see him dropping down to league 1 on a permanent. 

Good player but I reckon this one is unlikely. If we did manage it however and kept Dobson, that would be a cracking midfield duo 

If we did manage it however and kept Dobson, that *could* be a cracking midfield duo. 

Just to be in the safe side, because we’ve been here before so often Braz. 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    PWADDICK said:

He’s 24 in March and has been said he’ll be leaving West Ham at the end of his contract. I’d imagine they’d rather get a fee for him perhaps with a sell on clause rather than lose him for nothing in the summer.

He’s had four loan spells, two in L1 and two in the Championship, both of the latter with smaller clubs in Posh and Rotherham. If he was going to seriously interest Championship clubs he’d have probably left WH by now.

He’s also played under MA at Lincoln and will be available, I’d be surprised if we weren’t interested.

It’s not the sort of signing we’ve made before but for all those reasons he seems a realistic target to me. We need to bring in experience but if we’re making several signings a few like Coventry who have some but are young enough to improve would make sense.

Great points , and I don't think him being on the bench for them last night actually changes much in terms of if he's a realistic target. He's never going to be a first team regular at West Ham. 

Feels like a realistic target of a player that's got the potential to develop with us and maybe down the line has sell on potential for good money. 
  • "Crystal Palace have had numerous bids for Peterborough and England youth defender Ronnie Edwards, 20, turned down. They face competition from up to five Premier League clubs with the League One club holding out for up to £10m".

Might explain why Peterborough aren't in a rush to accept low bids for Clarke-Harris.
    A great reminder of how much a good young player can be sold for at this level. It would be even more if he was in the Championship.
  • "Crystal Palace have had numerous bids for Peterborough and England youth defender Ronnie Edwards, 20, turned down. They face competition from up to five Premier League clubs with the League One club holding out for up to £10m".

Might explain why Peterborough aren't in a rush to accept low bids for Clarke-Harris.
    But I doubt Edwards is in his last six months of his contract and can walk for nothing if he’s not out the door in four weeks. 
  • There's been links with a new CB, CM and CF (how credible remains tbc) but that's the "spine of the team" as the old cliche has it.

Which honestly is not a bad thing as I think most people agree that cosmetic surgery won't fix this team, we need heavy duty work and lots of it.

That said, not even a whisper of new FBs or a GK, both of which seem quite pressing to me.

Appreciate its early days but there is a LOT of work to do so hopefully things start moving quickly instead of the usual 10:55 31st Jan panic buy model.
  • Scoham said:
    "Crystal Palace have had numerous bids for Peterborough and England youth defender Ronnie Edwards, 20, turned down. They face competition from up to five Premier League clubs with the League One club holding out for up to £10m".

A great reminder of how much a good young player can be sold for at this level. It would be even more if he was in the Championship.
    They could also have a bonus with the Ivan Toney sell on shortly 
  • Maybe Coventry was on the bench last night as a farewell gesture.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we need a winger nearly as badly as we need a striker. If CBT has an off day we have zero threat. Tyreece is a decent young kid but he isn't half as dangerous as CBT.
    Only if we persist with 4-3-3 …
  • edited January 3
    thenewbie said:
    There's been links with a new CB, CM and CF (how credible remains tbc) but that's the "spine of the team" as the old cliche has it.

Which honestly is not a bad thing as I think most people agree that cosmetic surgery won't fix this team, we need heavy duty work and lots of it.

That said, not even a whisper of new FBs or a GK, both of which seem quite pressing to me.

Appreciate its early days but there is a LOT of work to do so hopefully things start moving quickly instead of the usual 10:55 31st Jan panic buy model.
    There’s a good argument for strengthening in every position but I hope we prioritise the spine to add experience, leadership and physicality to the team as I think it would have a biggest impact.
  • edited January 3
    I think we need a winger nearly as badly as we need a striker. If CBT has an off day we have zero threat. Tyreece is a decent young kid but he isn't half as dangerous as CBT.
    Hasn’t MA used 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 his entire management career?

Spot on
  • Scoham said:
    I think we need a winger nearly as badly as we need a striker. If CBT has an off day we have zero threat. Tyreece is a decent young kid but he isn't half as dangerous as CBT.
    Hasn’t MA used 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 his entire management career?
    Never too late to change 

On the money - 100% agree
  • major surgery needed in our squad, the names being mentioned on this thread as potential signings look decent.

let's assume we lose both Dobson and CBT - both need replacing, that's before we need another striker.

Personally of our current first choice back 5, only Jones would keep his place - I know we won't get them, but 2 new FB's, a Hector replacement and a new keeper would be on my shopping list