Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Feels like we are not many posts away from Dobson & CBT getting the Yann treatment. 
  • Bailey said:
    Leuth said:
    Without injuries it's a very decent squad, the problem is how many injury risks it contained in key positions 
    I think that's the key points of failure to recruit properly in the summer. I think everyone one on this forum was reasonably happy with the recruitment of Taylor, Camara, Watson and Edun but its taken Watson and Edun nearly half a season to get fit and as for Taylor and Camara, there must have been question marks due to the length of time they had been out. But the real failing is not bringing in another forward with Alfie May. Was all this due to the takeover being delayed ? I'm not sure if that really stands up to scrutiny. 

We did. Unfortunately that striker was Tedic.
  • ValleyBen said:
    Glad we are playing hardball with Dobson & CBT, would hate to be one of those silly clubs who actually negotiate to try to keep our best players.
    This.

Dobson was our best player yesterday and Corey is second to Alfie in the scoring charts. Lose them both this month and we will be battling to stay IN this League this season, as I very much doubt their replacements will be better.
    We're already saying Coventry is better than Dobson, without Coventry on the pitch, playing next to Anderson and Fraser !!!

Give him THAT sack of shit to protect and maybe we'll find out just how good George Dobson is......
  • Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Coventry isn’t one I have heard, but if true I would imagine would be a permanent signing, he certainly fits the type of players we are looking. 

I would add, that Dobson has been offer a take or leave or deal, if he doesn’t sign, he will be gone, same as CBT. But I think that is old news.

As I mentioned there is going to be a lot of transactions this month, in and out of the club. I honestly think these owners want to a big go at, I get to fans are once bitten twice as shy, and want instant success, but personally I feel we need to give them a bit of time, they haven’t done anything alarmingly wrong at the moment. They have a strategy and a plan, and it is certainly bette than the last few owners that’s for sure! 

As I go back, there is a base on here would only be happy if it was Varney that took over! 

It is a big month for Scott, if no improvement then we deserve to go after him, but at the moment the jury is out for me! 
    Why did we not do this in the summer?! They’ve basically wasted a season (and a very weak league 1) and missed a great opportunity. 

If the money is there now, why wasn’t it in the summer? Just seems like a bit of an odd approach 
    Because basically the whole window was planned around Holden… he basically got the younger small squad he wanted!
    But you were very happy with that squad weren't you? I seem to remember you were one of the few saying it was more than good enough. 
    Yes, I was, along with 90% of the charlton fans, a lot were good signings on paper. But then, we have had a lot of injuries.

And we signed the best goal scorer in the division, why wouldn’t you be happy with that? 
    To my memory, 90% of fans didn't think the squad was good enough, because I can remember the few that did. 
    Many of us said the squad wasn't good enough and we get pelters for it every year.    But no way did 90% of posters say they were happy with the squad we ended up with !
  • ValleyBen said:
    The permanent downgrading of our club by a minority of fans is so frustrating, I am not saying it is easy, what deal is but the idea that it is ludicrous to even consider we can compete financially with another team in our division & a team in the league below.

We should be seriously in the mix for JCH especially now we don't have that despicable Holden demanding we don't spend money anymore. 
    If you are referring to my post then perhaps I should have made it clear that given a choice of Bolton, Wrexham or Charlton then I think unless we can blow the other two clubs out financially then on footballing considerations alone we’re at a disadvantage. 
  • Coventry would be an excellent signing. From what I’ve heard from West Ham fans he’s very much in the Cullen mould regarding potential but not up to premiership standard yet and they don’t really give their youngsters much of an opportunity to make the step up anyway. 
  • Sponsored links:

• “West Ham United futures of Conor Coventry and Ben Johnson have been decided

According to Sean Whetstone, the two 23-year-olds will be released when their contracts expire in the summer of 2024.”

Taken from the Hammers News and was written in September. It would suggest a permanent and a good price.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Coventry isn’t one I have heard, but if true I would imagine would be a permanent signing, he certainly fits the type of players we are looking. 

I would add, that Dobson has been offer a take or leave or deal, if he doesn’t sign, he will be gone, same as CBT. But I think that is old news.

As I mentioned there is going to be a lot of transactions this month, in and out of the club. I honestly think these owners want to a big go at, I get to fans are once bitten twice as shy, and want instant success, but personally I feel we need to give them a bit of time, they haven’t done anything alarmingly wrong at the moment. They have a strategy and a plan, and it is certainly bette than the last few owners that’s for sure! 

As I go back, there is a base on here would only be happy if it was Varney that took over! 

It is a big month for Scott, if no improvement then we deserve to go after him, but at the moment the jury is out for me! 
    You obviously get some useful info but so often it's given alongside you criticising Charlton fans for not liking this ownership and digging them out for wanting something different. I get that you're close to them in some way but it hasn't exactly been good so far has it? I'd love if we could have the rumours without the biased commentary alongside it.
    Fair enough, but we are writing things off before given a really opportunity. Yes, we have had it tough over the last 10 years or so.. but damage has been, and not allowing the owners the time isn’t going to help.. what’s the point of driving owners out with given them a really opportunity.

Honestly, I understand the frustration, I am frustrated by our club, but what help is all the negativity, they haven’t actually done anything that bad right?? Some of the toxic I don’t think is that justified.

I guess it is years upon years that is causing it, but fans need more patience 
    To be honest I do agree with you for the most part. I always like to give players, managers and owners as much time as possible but equally I get why fans are doubting already. The ownership have had (sort of) two transfer windows and we've not seen anything to indicate that a proper go will be had. Last January was a real disaster; of the 5 signings we made only one could be seen to be anything like a success and the others were actively atrocious. This summer when they were properly in charge they've not exactly shown they're interested in having a big go and I don't blame people for being sceptical about us really going for it now while we're 14 points off the play-offs instead of the zero we were in summer. They've also picked two managers now and it's become increasingly clear that they were poor choices. If they're claiming that they got Holden what he wanted they why would they switch it up again for a different failing manager? That's just asking for a repeat of the problems. There are definitely some posters on here who take too much enjoyment from insisting that everything will be terrible forever but I think overall the fans are fair in being frustrated with what they've seen. I've said for years that more than anything I just want an ownership that we never have to talk about. Some boring blokes at the top who employ vaguely competent people so we can just talk about the football. If they have a good window here and then another in the summer that will happen but as long as we're closer to League 2 than promotion people will remain sceptical
  • Redrobo said:

“West Ham United futures of Conor Coventry and Ben Johnson have been decided

According to Sean Whetstone, the two 23-year-olds will be released when their contracts expire in the summer of 2024.”

Taken from the Hammers News and was written in September. It would suggest a permanent and a good price.

Can we try and get Ben Johnson too... He looked a decent Right-Back a few years ago
  • It would be great if we retained Dobson and CBT but it’s pretty obvious that they both want out. No idea what’s  been offered to them but I doubt it’s not competitive. They are after all important players for us but if they can get better offers beyond ours and want out then now’s the time to usher them out the door when we can hopefully get a small fee for both. That’s the reality of football. We’ll no doubt be taking advantage of the same opportunities. If there’s truth in Coventry and JCH there’s two straight away. 
    I've not seen any evidence to say that for definite. Just because a player isn't signing a new deal now, it doesn't follow that they're 100% set on leaving.

They might be waiting to see what division we're in next season.
    They might be waiting to see what transfer business happens.
    They might be waiting to see what offers come in once the season has finished before deciding whether to stay or not.

Either way it would be daft to push players out of the door just because they might leave. Patrick Bauer helped us get promotion before leaving, for example.

• Jac_52 said:
    Bailey said:
    Leuth said:
    Without injuries it's a very decent squad, the problem is how many injury risks it contained in key positions 
    I think that's the key points of failure to recruit properly in the summer. I think everyone one on this forum was reasonably happy with the recruitment of Taylor, Camara, Watson and Edun but its taken Watson and Edun nearly half a season to get fit and as for Taylor and Camara, there must have been question marks due to the length of time they had been out. But the real failing is not bringing in another forward with Alfie May. Was all this due to the takeover being delayed ? I'm not sure if that really stands up to scrutiny. 

We did. Unfortunately that striker was Tedic.
    and besides being shit he didn't join till the end of the window so we had 6 games to play 352 with May as the only forward - how can anyone claim our squad was complete at the start of the season?
  • It would be great if we retained Dobson and CBT but it’s pretty obvious that they both want out. No idea what’s  been offered to them but I doubt it’s not competitive. They are after all important players for us but if they can get better offers beyond ours and want out then now’s the time to usher them out the door when we can hopefully get a small fee for both. That’s the reality of football. We’ll no doubt be taking advantage of the same opportunities. If there’s truth in Coventry and JCH there’s two straight away. 
    I've not seen any evidence to say that for definite. Just because a player isn't signing a new deal now, it doesn't follow that they're 100% set on leaving.

They might be waiting to see what offers come in once the season has finished before deciding whether to stay or not.

Either way it would be daft to push players out of the door just because they might leave. Patrick Bauer helped us get promotion before leaving, for example.

They are forcing the club to a corner though aren’t they. They can leave for nothing if they don’t sign in the next few weeks which is quite rightly unacceptable to the club so what is the club supposed to do ? We have made them an offer which I can only assume is as much as we can afford given their importance to the team. I think the take it or leave it offer at this point is absolutely the correct thing to do. 
  • ValleyBen said:
    Glad we are playing hardball with Dobson & CBT, would hate to be one of those silly clubs who actually negotiate to try to keep our best players.
    This.

Dobson was our best player yesterday and Corey is second to Alfie in the scoring charts. Lose them both this month and we will be battling to stay IN this League this season, as I very much doubt their replacements will be better.
    There's a reason why they are our only 2 ever presents in the league this season and its not just because they haven't got injured yet.  Will both be difficult to replace with better players especially CBT - yes he drifts out of games but his goals and assists and the way he occupies so many opposition defenders will be missed when he goes.

But to use your own argument, there's no evidence of anyone being "pushed out of the door" though. We MIGHT have offered both new terms that are perfectly reasonable but if there's interest in both they COULD go.

It's surely better to plan for that eventuality rather than be caught out and have to replace our two best players are the last minute instead.
  • Also if you can't land your first choice targets early in the window then move on and secure the second or third choices rather than wait till deadline day and end up with the dregs like Tedic like we do do every year.
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:

You obviously get some useful info but so often it's given alongside you criticising Charlton fans for not liking this ownership and digging them out for wanting something different. I get that you're close to them in some way but it hasn't exactly been good so far has it? I'd love if we could have the rumours without the biased commentary alongside it.
    Don't think he's close to them, just useful for spreading their narrative.
    A bit like Tiny on the other board.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Last January we were linked with several decent players. 
    We ended up with 
    Matt Penny
    Kilkenny 
    Bonne. 

I shall contain my excitement until any deal is done. 
    Don't forget Todd Kane!
    Who plays in Gibraltar now!!
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player with less physical presence on a pitch. 
  • Can confirm this is nonsense mate. A quick google reverse image search will tell you that

Haha cheers, love a reverse image search
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Fair enough, but we are writing things off before given a really opportunity. Yes, we have had it tough over the last 10 years or so.. but damage has been, and not allowing the owners the time isn’t going to help.. what’s the point of driving owners out with given them a really opportunity.

Honestly, I understand the frustration, I am frustrated by our club, but what help is all the negativity, they haven’t actually done anything that bad right?? Some of the toxic I don’t think is that justified.

I guess it is years upon years that is causing it, but fans need more patience 
    To be honest I do agree with you for the most part. I always like to give players, managers and owners as much time as possible but equally I get why fans are doubting already. The ownership have had (sort of) two transfer windows and we've not seen anything to indicate that a proper go will be had. Last January was a real disaster; of the 5 signings we made only one could be seen to be anything like a success and the others were actively atrocious. This summer when they were properly in charge they've not exactly shown they're interested in having a big go and I don't blame people for being sceptical about us really going for it now while we're 14 points off the play-offs instead of the zero we were in summer. They've also picked two managers now and it's become increasingly clear that they were poor choices. If they're claiming that they got Holden what he wanted they why would they switch it up again for a different failing manager? That's just asking for a repeat of the problems. There are definitely some posters on here who take too much enjoyment from insisting that everything will be terrible forever but I think overall the fans are fair in being frustrated with what they've seen. I've said for years that more than anything I just want an ownership that we never have to talk about. Some boring blokes at the top who employ vaguely competent people so we can just talk about the football. If they have a good window here and then another in the summer that will happen but as long as we're closer to League 2 than promotion people will remain sceptical
    Last Jan, there was a certain amount of control, but not fully.. same as the summer window as well.

this is the window I am judging them on, when I say them, I mean Scott, he is the man entrusted. Pressure is on.

As I said, I get the frustration, but we are not giving the chance, as I said certain fan base have already written them off! 
    I actually agree with you on some points, but can also see why some people are reluctant to give them a chance.

The last few years we have been progressively worse. And the next step really is us slipping away into League Two oblivion. We are 6 points from relegation going into the New Year. Forget about playoffs. Probably the lowest point in our recent history.

So far, this new ownership hasn't exactly worked out well on the pitch. Starting the season with this lightweight squad with just one fit senior striker is criminal really. The reason you mention Holden wanting a smaller young squad i think is laughable.

I expect at least three extra senior pros in as a sign of intent. And hope we keep Dobson and CBT. If they choose to pass on the offer let them go but also replace them this Window and build for next season. As you say, pressure is on and so it should.
  • DubaiCAFC said:

I admire your optimism. 👍
    At least we won’t have too long to wait to find out if it’s misplaced. 
  • A lot of irrational enthusiasm on potential signings. Before we sign anyone, we might need to ship quite a few out.

- the crap loanees [get rid of all that we can]
    - Fraser, Edun, Aneke [who is never fit] and so on

I’m not holding any hope that Scott & Appleton will do anything sensible, but I really hope i am wrong, but it has to start with a mass clearout of ALL the dross.
  • Can confirm this is nonsense mate. A quick google reverse image search will tell you that

Haha cheers, love a reverse image search
    Saved me many a time fella 😂
  • Cawley reporting it is a permanent deal. Six figures.
    £000,010
    Promote material surely 👍