Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• It would be great if we retained Dobson and CBT but it’s pretty obvious that they both want out. No idea what’s  been offered to them but I doubt it’s not competitive. They are after all important players for us but if they can get better offers beyond ours and want out then now’s the time to usher them out the door when we can hopefully get a small fee for both. That’s the reality of football. We’ll no doubt be taking advantage of the same opportunities. If there’s truth in Coventry and JCH there’s two straight away. 
    I've not seen any evidence to say that for definite. Just because a player isn't signing a new deal now, it doesn't follow that they're 100% set on leaving.

They might be waiting to see what division we're in next season.
    They might be waiting to see what transfer business happens.
    They might be waiting to see what offers come in once the season has finished before deciding whether to stay or not.

Either way it would be daft to push players out of the door just because they might leave. Patrick Bauer helped us get promotion before leaving, for example.

They are forcing the club to a corner though aren’t they. They can leave for nothing if they don’t sign in the next few weeks which is quite rightly unacceptable to the club so what is the club supposed to do ? We have made them an offer which I can only assume is as much as we can afford given their importance to the team. I think the take it or leave it offer at this point is absolutely the correct thing to do. 
    Yes, they can leave for nothing in the summer so how much do you think we could get in fees for them NOW, seeing as they can be picked up for nothing in 6 months time ? £200k ? £300k ?

I would suggest that would pale into insignificance if they left now & we got relegated. We would lose that much 5x over being in League 2.

Their VALUE to us is worth more than their COST.......even if its just for 5 more months. 

Dobson gave his shirt and captains arm band to a young boy at the end of the game to Oxford .  Think that tells you he is off?
    He does it every game pretty much
  • It would be great if we retained Dobson and CBT but it’s pretty obvious that they both want out. No idea what’s  been offered to them but I doubt it’s not competitive. They are after all important players for us but if they can get better offers beyond ours and want out then now’s the time to usher them out the door when we can hopefully get a small fee for both. That’s the reality of football. We’ll no doubt be taking advantage of the same opportunities. If there’s truth in Coventry and JCH there’s two straight away. 
    I've not seen any evidence to say that for definite. Just because a player isn't signing a new deal now, it doesn't follow that they're 100% set on leaving.

They might be waiting to see what offers come in once the season has finished before deciding whether to stay or not.

Either way it would be daft to push players out of the door just because they might leave. Patrick Bauer helped us get promotion before leaving, for example.

They are forcing the club to a corner though aren’t they. They can leave for nothing if they don’t sign in the next few weeks which is quite rightly unacceptable to the club so what is the club supposed to do ? We have made them an offer which I can only assume is as much as we can afford given their importance to the team. I think the take it or leave it offer at this point is absolutely the correct thing to do. 
    Yes, they can leave for nothing in the summer so how much do you think we could get in fees for them NOW, seeing as they can be picked up for nothing in 6 months time ? £200k ? £300k ?

I would suggest that would pale into insignificance if they left now & we got relegated. We would lose that much 5x over being in League 2.

Their VALUE to us is worth more than their COST.......even if its just for 5 more months. 

Dobson gave his shirt and captains arm band to a young boy at the end of the game to Oxford .  Think that tells you he is off?
    Dobson's given more shirts away than he's done sliding challenges. 

You are missing one thing though Golfie. What would be their level of performance towards the end of season when they would be looking for a deal elsewhere ? Up until now I can't fault Dobson and CBT's professionalism but I think the club would not be foolish to let them walk away for nothing if interest from other clubs was firmed up now. 
  • CafcWest said:
    BigDiddy said:
    A lot of irrational enthusiasm on potential signings. Before we sign anyone, we might need to ship quite a few out.

- the crap loanees [get rid of all that we can]
    - Fraser, Edun, Aneke [who is never fit] and so on

I’m not holding any hope that Scott & Appleton will do anything sensible, but I really hope i am wrong, but it has to start with a mass clearout of ALL the dross.
    You'll never move on Aneke with his injury history...BUT I personally would keep him and manage him much better as an impact sub or for 20 mins maximum (if starting).  I think Appleton was naive (or stupid) to start him and keep him on when he was last fit.
    For me personally I just can’t get on board with this.

Firstly  Aneke is sadly a ticking time bomb - and we have seen him injured in the warm up, after playing 5 minutes, during his recovery etc.

Secondly I just don’t think competitive football is easy enough that you can arbitrarily use someone for maximum 20 minutes each match. So many match situations just do not allow that sort of thing to happen.
    I agree with all of that except he is in contract and not oblidged to go anywhere.  So you would have to either take a hit and pay him off or manage him to get the most you can until his contract is up.  When fit he can be a match winner.
  • edited January 2
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Valley11 said:

Macauley Gillesphey, Conor Coventry and JCH would be a decent start. But we’d still need more. Three more of the same experience and quality would be a statement of intent. And keeping CBT and Dobbo. 
    It would. But only 1 is "done" and the other 2 are in the "rumours" thread for a reason.

My take on those 3 -

Gillesphey will sign this week
    JCH is  50/50
    Coventry in a non starter. 

And I'm not ITK but just following my instincts over previous windows where those ITK are feed stories for our consumption.
    Think you are right, as I said he isn’t a name I have heard. The player I heard, has played in this division and did well, and actually has done okay in the championship as well, only reason he isn’t playing now, os because the club started to invest more money.

if he signs I think he will be a decent player 
    So previous experience in League One, with a club that’s now in the Championship but isn’t getting game time because he’s being pushed out by some new signings.

Smells of a club like Ipswich…
  • edited January 2
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Valley11 said:

Macauley Gillesphey, Conor Coventry and JCH would be a decent start. But we’d still need more. Three more of the same experience and quality would be a statement of intent. And keeping CBT and Dobbo. 
    It would. But only 1 is "done" and the other 2 are in the "rumours" thread for a reason.

My take on those 3 -

JCH is  50/50

And I'm not ITK but just following my instincts over previous windows where those ITK are feed stories for our consumption.
    Think you are right, as I said he isn’t a name I have heard. The player I heard, has played in this division and did well, and actually has done okay in the championship as well, only reason he isn’t playing now, os because the club started to invest more money.

So previous experience in League One, with a club that’s now in the Championship but isn’t getting game time because he’s being pushed out by some new signings.

Bit to far east.. only slightly, but a lot further north 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Valley11 said:

My take on those 3 -

JCH is  50/50

Bit to far east.. only slightly, but a lot further north 
    Hull ?
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Rome wasn’t built in a day and for me, the owners still have time to turn things around. You can’t turn this club around in one window. I’d imagine any player signed this month will be signed on the basis of being ready to go next August, which is a positive if they’re good enough.

I am fairly convinced Appleton isn’t the right man to take us forward, would be very happy for him to be sacked right now, BUT I equally am bored of the managerial merry go round and can see from their perspective why they should give him this transfer window to show he is capable.
    so, no loans then. Otherwise we are back to the usual summer merry-go-round of replacing not only those out of contract but the 5 or 6 loanees. 

Please tell me how THAT has gone over the past 3 or 4 seasons. 
  • edited January 2
    It would be great if we retained Dobson and CBT but it’s pretty obvious that they both want out. No idea what’s  been offered to them but I doubt it’s not competitive. They are after all important players for us but if they can get better offers beyond ours and want out then now’s the time to usher them out the door when we can hopefully get a small fee for both. That’s the reality of football. We’ll no doubt be taking advantage of the same opportunities. If there’s truth in Coventry and JCH there’s two straight away. 

He gave his shirt to a young lad when I was at Barnsley the other week and does so most weeks apparently.

It would be great if we retained Dobson and CBT but it’s pretty obvious that they both want out. No idea what’s  been offered to them but I doubt it’s not competitive. They are after all important players for us but if they can get better offers beyond ours and want out then now’s the time to usher them out the door when we can hopefully get a small fee for both. That’s the reality of football. We’ll no doubt be taking advantage of the same opportunities. If there’s truth in Coventry and JCH there’s two straight away. 

According to my son who sits above the Family Quadrant he does that after every home game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:

You are missing one thing though Golfie. What would be their level of performance towards the end of season when they would be looking for a deal elsewhere ? Up until now I can't fault Dobson and CBT's professionalism but I think the club would not be foolish to let them walk away for nothing if interest from other clubs was firmed up now. 
    But then you could say that about any player at any time in their contract. 

It has never been a (known) issue for the past 30 years since the Bosman ruling came in. 
  • funnily enough it was Docherty and Wilks that I thought of too
  • We've also been linked to Regan Slater from Hull in the past too. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Rome wasn’t built in a day and for me, the owners still have time to turn things around. You can’t turn this club around in one window. I’d imagine any player signed this month will be signed on the basis of being ready to go next August, which is a positive if they’re good enough.

I am fairly convinced Appleton isn’t the right man to take us forward, would be very happy for him to be sacked right now, BUT I equally am bored of the managerial merry go round and can see from their perspective why they should give him this transfer window to show he is capable.
    so, no loans then. Otherwise we are back to the usual summer merry-go-round of replacing not only those out of contract but the 5 or 6 loanees. 

Please tell me how THAT has gone over the past 3 or 4 seasons. 
    I agree. The only reason to get a loan in now is with the expectation that they’re joining in the summer.
  • Whoever, if anyone, we are bringing in, we need them this week and they need to be fit enough to start on Saturday. We can't go in to another game with the same personnel as yesterday! 
    We need new players now, not in 2, 3, or 4 weeks time!
  • edited January 2
    So a 23 yr old winger, who was once extremely highly rated, but had a couple of years dip.  Was in more than one overseas academy and now plays for a club a little west and a lot north of Ipswich... Hull, Sunderland, Middlesbrough seem the obvious ones.  

Has played in L1 before and done well, and has done okay in the championship but his club have started investing more money so he isn't playing now.

Samuel Silvera?

Ian Poveda matches most of the description but never played below Championship.

Wilks is 27.
  • It’s wilks
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    BigDiddy said:
    A lot of irrational enthusiasm on potential signings. Before we sign anyone, we might need to ship quite a few out.

- the crap loanees [get rid of all that we can]
    - Fraser, Edun, Aneke [who is never fit] and so on

I’m not holding any hope that Scott & Appleton will do anything sensible, but I really hope i am wrong, but it has to start with a mass clearout of ALL the dross.
    Easier said than done, how do you “clear out” a player like Aneke? 
    They can pay him to sit on his arse I suppose?

Point is that someone has to pay, either to stay and do nothing or pay him off to leave.  There is no cost free option.
  • So a 23 yr old winger, who was ince extremely highly rated, but had a couple of years dip.  Was in more than one overseas academy and now plays for a club a little west and a lot north of Ipswich... Hull, Sunderland, Middlesbrough seem the obvious ones.  Methven had Sunderland connections...

Samuel Silvera
    It’s Poveda

According to my son who sits above the Family Quadrant he does that after every home game. 
    I wish I had known that before I paid £200 on Match Worn Shirt for one of his (daughters birthday present) 🙄🙄🙄

• nagAddick said:
    So a 23 yr old winger, who was ince extremely highly rated, but had a couple of years dip.  Was in more than one overseas academy and now plays for a club a little west and a lot north of Ipswich... Hull, Sunderland, Middlesbrough seem the obvious ones.  Methven had Sunderland connections...

Samuel Silvera
    It’s Poveda
    Did Poveda play for Blackpool under Appleton?
  • Richard J said:
    nagAddick said:
    So a 23 yr old winger, who was ince extremely highly rated, but had a couple of years dip.  Was in more than one overseas academy and now plays for a club a little west and a lot north of Ipswich... Hull, Sunderland, Middlesbrough seem the obvious ones.  Methven had Sunderland connections...

Samuel Silvera
    It’s Poveda
    Did Poveda play for Blackpool under Appleton?
    Certainly was
  • I don't see us getting Conor Coventry. Featured for West Ham on the bench, I don't see him dropping down to league 1 on a permanent. 

I think that link stinks of agent talk/ the club giving Cawley something to post as we trust him and it may take the heat off them.

Sort of like how I am interested in Dua Lipa but she has the pick of most blokes in the world & I'm just a tubby lad from London
    There no heat on the owners blimey only been in the role 5 mins .. going to take rest of this season and next to sort out the mis management of the last 10/12 years … and for us to have the structure and foundations to build a top 2 team upon 
  • I don't see us getting Conor Coventry. Featured for West Ham on the bench, I don't see him dropping down to league 1 on a permanent. 

I think that link stinks of agent talk/ the club giving Cawley something to post as we trust him and it may take the heat off them.

Sort of like how I am interested in Dua Lipa but she has the pick of most blokes in the world & I'm just a tubby lad from London
    Apart from half a season in the championship he’s only played League 1 football