Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• I think Holden would have worked with a good assistant manager for footballing advice. A bit like when Chris Powell and Nathan Jones worked together.
    I was at a 0-0 against an excellent Brighton side at Falmer where our game plan was spot on. 
  • seth plum said:
    I think Holden would have worked with a good assistant manager for footballing advice. A bit like when Chris Powell and Nathan Jones worked together.
    I was at a 0-0 against an excellent Brighton side at Falmer where our game plan was spot on. 
    Did Jones and Powell work together? Jones was under 21 manager I thought. Powell did seem to have Keith Peacock around though and would mention this. 
  • seth plum said:
    I think Holden would have worked with a good assistant manager for footballing advice. A bit like when Chris Powell and Nathan Jones worked together.
    Except Alex dyer was Powell’s assistant 
    For that game?
    I have probably got that wrong.
    I suppose I was contemplating an appealing outward facing Manager, like Powell and Holden, working well with an assistant looking internally at specific footballing challenges.
    A bit like McLaren assisting Ferguson, not at that level obviously.
  • I remember that 0-0 at the AMEX , Ben Hamer was absolutely different class that night. Don't think we created that much but it was a stoic away display against a then high flying Brighton. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I remember that 0-0 at the AMEX , Ben Hamer was absolutely different class that night. Don't think we created that much but it was a stoic away display against a then high flying Brighton. 
    Yep come away feeling like a win. Think Liam Bridcutt run the game. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I remember that 0-0 at the AMEX , Ben Hamer was absolutely different class that night. Don't think we created that much but it was a stoic away display against a then high flying Brighton. 
    Yep come away feeling like a win. Think Liam Bridcutt run the game. 
    Liam Bridcutt is currently an aging injury prone free agent with Appleton links.

Could he be drafted in?
  • I can't see our results improving in the coming weeks and then we have a run of very tough games in February. 
    I can't see Appleton being here come the end of Feb whatever happens  , so it makes no sense letting him have a say in this transfer window. 
    Better to make a change now.
  • edited January 2
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Except Alex dyer was Powell’s assistant 
    For that game?
    I have probably got that wrong.
    I suppose I was contemplating an appealing outward facing Manager, like Powell and Holden, working well with an assistant looking internally at specific footballing challenges.
    A bit like McLaren assisting Ferguson, not at that level obviously.
    Its possible you were right Seth

Nathan Jones didnt join Brighton until July 2013... We played Brighton in that 0-0 game, in April 2013 - So he might have been on the touchline on the odd occasion.
  • NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    mart77 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    This window will be very busy, the idea is to get as many bedded this season for next year. But let’s see what happens. Action speaks loud than words!
    Where have we heard this before?!

Thanks for dropping on what you know Dubai. It’ll be one thing signing some ‘good’ players but if the wrong man is at the helm then it could all be pointless as we change him further down the line. 
    Lot of this now is down to Holden, he wanted a young small squad.. now we have a few injuries, Appleton left to pick it up. 
    That is almost as embarrassing as Appletons excuses yesterday. 

The size of the squad isn’t the problem, it’s the quality of the players that Andy Scott brought in. Even with Holden out of the picture he brought in young players that weren’t good enough 
    All most as embarrassing as this comment… squad size is a huge issue.. 2 or 3 injuries and having to put in over hyped Acedemy players…
    If Scott thought it was a problem why didn’t we sign more players? Holden was practically begging for signings the whole of August because he’d been left short. Another problem is signing injury prone players, and we have been quite unlucky that the injuries have been concentrated into 2 positions rather than spread across the team

Scott had a chance to add experience if he wanted to, but instead he brought in the worst collection of loans we’ve seen. If he wanted a squad with more experience, why did he bring in 4 loans that were inexperienced and not good enough? Holden wasn’t there so you can’t blame him for that one 

Scott thought our squad was good enough, that’s why he sacked Holden for underperforming. And when Appleton joined he was saying we had a good squad that was underperforming and Scott was saying we’d be judging ourselves against the top 6 from now on. They’ve changed their tune since…
    It should be remembered that with the forwards we started tge season with one we knew would not last more than a few games and one badly injured in preseason and we did nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Coventry would be an excellent signing , if he's only got a deal until June I wonder if this could be a permanent? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Sarimento to Ipswich is one hell of a signing I have to admit. He's looked excellent for West Brom. 
    A fantastic talent.  He'll go far.
  • edited January 2
    Talal said:

Dont know much about him at all. Is he a Dobson type player? 
  • Talal said:

Yeah very much from the Dobbo/Cullen mould. Am surprised he's never broken through as he's always been really really highly rated at loan clubs 
  • Talal said:

He is a DM, so I imagine so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems like another positive signing if it happens, hopefully in addition to Dobson rather then a replacement. 
  • Did Coventry play for Appleton in his Lincoln loan?

If so that could be in our favour. I suspect that he will have other suiters.
  • Coventry would be an incredible signing. Yes please. 🙏
  • edited January 2
    Apparently West Ham have had to use him to meet the Club Homegrown Quota for the Europa League so may be reluctant to let him go
  • Talal said:
    I hope if he does sign he'll play alongside Dobson rather than instead of. We've been so weak in the middle we could do with a couple of decent DM's in there. 
    Got to be what MA is aiming for and why he won’t play Watson - he commented on a weakness in the defensive side of his game in November, and he doesn’t have the goals in him to be a 10.