Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited January 2
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Along with the MG we have put in bids for CM who we have been liked with previously, plus a winger who is 23 years old, has been extremely highly rated, but had a couple of years dip, it is hoped we can get him going. If we can, would be an outstanding signing.

Ian Poveda? Worked with Appleton at Blackpool last season
    Edit... Sorry he's still with Leeds isnt he.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Along with the MG we have put in bids for CM who we have been liked with previously, plus a winger who is 23 years old, has been extremely highly rated, but had a couple of years dip, it is hoped we can get him going. If we can, would be an outstanding signing.

Ian Poveda? Worked with Appleton at Blackpool last season

Think you've nailed it. Fits the bill perfectly and obviously played for Appleton. 
  • edited January 2
    Outgoings so important. Would like to see a major clear out. 
    Assuming some incoming. 
  • I hope Gillesphey is just centre back cover and not also competition with Edun, need a real attacking full back. Ethan Bristow would’ve been my choice but he’s already gone Stockport.
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    To add to the above. Scott appointed Holden, surely what he wants a squad to look like was discussed in his interview? This mess all goes back to Scott, he’s appointed 2 poor managers and signed a load of rubbish. If it wasn’t for Holden and Storey bringing in Jones and May imagine where we’d be now? 
    What position do you think we would be in the table if we had a good manager?

And if Jones and May are good enough players to keep us from a relegation battle as I believe you are suggesting where do you think we would be if we got two new players of similar quality in?

I only ask as it feels like we all make very simplistic observations all the time, but in reality I just feel like there is so much complexity going on. 
  • we need 2 first choice full backs, neither Watson or Edun are good enough - both are poor defensively (especially Edun) and neither are good going forward 
    Both of those signed whilst Scott was in the door at SE7

The only two decent ones in the door since Scott’s 2nd go last January at transfers is L Watson and Appleton will not give him a start plus Chem Campbell who is finally getting a run

Maybe Wolves had a word with Scott to say play him or we recall him. Your choice 
  • edited January 2
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    mart77 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    This window will be very busy, the idea is to get as many bedded this season for next year. But let’s see what happens. Action speaks loud than words!
    Where have we heard this before?!

Thanks for dropping on what you know Dubai. It’ll be one thing signing some ‘good’ players but if the wrong man is at the helm then it could all be pointless as we change him further down the line. 
    Lot of this now is down to Holden, he wanted a young small squad.. now we have a few injuries, Appleton left to pick it up. 
    Passing the buck of course. Squad building isn't down to Holden. 

But sure saves Scott and Methven from any kind of criticism, which you have a habit of doing since they've taken over (and before too). 
    Go look at the interviews back end of last season… Holden was the one coming out saying he wanted a younger smaller squad…
    "“We’ve got our targets” said Holden. “Andy Scott (technical director) and the recruitment team will be dealing with them type of things."

"“We’re working as hard as we can. Of course we’d like to have more players in but, at the same time, it’s important we keep going. We’ve got a period of time in the transfer window. What’s most important is what we look like at the end of the transfer window, making sure we have got a squad that can really attack the rest of this League One season.”"

Dated 19th August. He knew what he'd been stuck with. 
    Sound like a man happy with his 'younger smaller squad'?
    Sorry to play devils advocate, but if you’re just picking quotes, you do know we got 5 players in after the 19th right?

He mentions that the most important thing is how we look at the end of the window. Do we have any quotes from him then?
  • Need to remember (sorry if this sounds harsh) that Holden was a very limited manager and a bit of a people pleaser/ yes man.
    Exactly. It was such a disappointment when his shortcoming were revealed, because he seemed to connect very well with fans, (although perhaps tried too hard?)
    He did warn us in that early interview where he said something along the lines of ‘I don’t do tactics’. 
  • NabySarr said:
    To add to the above. Scott appointed Holden, surely what he wants a squad to look like was discussed in his interview? This mess all goes back to Scott, he’s appointed 2 poor managers and signed a load of rubbish. If it wasn’t for Holden and Storey bringing in Jones and May imagine where we’d be now? 
    TS gave Holden the contract 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    mart77 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    This window will be very busy, the idea is to get as many bedded this season for next year. But let’s see what happens. Action speaks loud than words!

Thanks for dropping on what you know Dubai. It’ll be one thing signing some ‘good’ players but if the wrong man is at the helm then it could all be pointless as we change him further down the line. 
    Lot of this now is down to Holden, he wanted a young small squad.. now we have a few injuries, Appleton left to pick it up. 

But sure saves Scott and Methven from any kind of criticism, which you have a habit of doing since they've taken over (and before too). 
    Go look at the interviews back end of last season… Holden was the one coming out saying he wanted a younger smaller squad…
    "“We’ve got our targets” said Holden. “Andy Scott (technical director) and the recruitment team will be dealing with them type of things."

"“We’re working as hard as we can. Of course we’d like to have more players in but, at the same time, it’s important we keep going. We’ve got a period of time in the transfer window. What’s most important is what we look like at the end of the transfer window, making sure we have got a squad that can really attack the rest of this League One season.”"

Sorry to play devils advocate, but if you’re just picking quotes, you do know we got 5 players in after the 19th right?

He mentions that the most important thing is how we look at the end of the window. Do we have any quotes from him then?
    Would any manager come out with quotes after a window saying their squad is terrible and we need more reinforcements? 
  • NabySarr said:

And if Jones and May are good enough players to keep us from a relegation battle as I believe you are suggesting where do you think we would be if we got two new players of similar quality in?

I only ask as it feels like we all make very simplistic observations all the time, but in reality I just feel like there is so much complexity going on. 
    I don’t think we’d be much better off tbh, the 2 managers have both had their hands tied behind their backs. At least in Holden’s run he was changing things around and trying to find a way to get the best out of what he had to work with, Appleton has shown no sign of that. Appleton isn’t the biggest problem we have, far from it, but I just don’t have any faith that he is part of the solution either 

I don’t think 2 players of Jones/May quality is enough, that would probably be enough to steer us safely into 10th-12th with players returning from injury also. If we are serious about next season we probably need 6-8 new players of that level 
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    mart77 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Blaming there own man now are they?
    Andy Scott created this mess. My bet is it will probably get messier.
    And then I suppose it will be blamed on Appleton 

Why do you continually seem to be the vessel by which these useless ownership regime's communicate?

• NabySarr said:
    TS gave Holden the contract 
    Holden came in as part of the SE7 group (Scott, Warwick, Rodwell) back in December 2022 

Sandgaard and Storrie were in control when they gave Holden an extension on his contract back in March 

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/manager-dean-holden-pens-long-term-contract
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    mart77 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Tedic, Abankwah, L Watson, T Watson and C Campbell. 

How many of them actually have added something to our season? Maybe one. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    mart77 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Would any manager come out with quotes after a window saying their squad is terrible and we need more reinforcements? 
    Did he say his squad was terrible? Or are you just fitting his quote into matching your narrative which is a habit you very much have. 

Im not saying you are wrong, but the only actual evidence we have from Holden’s mouth is he wanted a smaller squad. I know he did that interview recently - does he mention anything about what he thinks about the squad he was given then?

NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

I don’t think we’d be much better off tbh, the 2 managers have both had their hands tied behind their backs. At least in Holden’s run he was changing things around and trying to find a way to get the best out of what he had to work with, Appleton has shown no sign of that. Appleton isn’t the biggest problem we have, far from it, but I just don’t have any faith that he is part of the solution either 

I don’t think 2 players of Jones/May quality is enough, that would probably be enough to steer us safely into 10th-12th with players returning from injury also. If we are serious about next season we probably need 6-8 new players of that level 
    I agree with this on the whole. 

• edited January 2
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    mart77 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Did he say his squad was terrible? Or are you just fitting his quote into matching your narrative which is a habit you very much have. 

Im not saying you are wrong, but the only actual evidence we have from Holden’s mouth is he wanted a smaller squad. I know he did that interview recently - does he mention anything about what he thinks about the squad he was given then?

NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

I agree with this on the whole. 

Has any manager in living history come out and said a transfer window was poor while still being employed? 

Holden is not responsible for the summer, Scott is. You know, the man that appointed Holden in the first place. 

"What’s most important is what we look like at the end of the transfer window, making sure we have got a squad that can really attack the rest of this League One season.”"" - Sounds to me like he didn't think his squad was good enough to me. He was proved correct. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    mart77 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Holden's sacking was announced on 27 August so 8 days later and had been speculated to have happened before that.

So he wasn't here at the end of the window to comment but Scott, who is said to have overall control, was.