Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    PWADDICK said:
    I don't see us getting Conor Coventry. Featured for West Ham on the bench, I don't see him dropping down to league 1 on a permanent. 

I think that link stinks of agent talk/ the club giving Cawley something to post as we trust him and it may take the heat off them.

Sort of like how I am interested in Dua Lipa but she has the pick of most blokes in the world & I'm just a tubby lad from London
    Apart from half a season in the championship he’s only played League 1 football
    It is more so it being a permanent transfer.

Good player but I reckon this one is unlikely. If we did manage it however and kept Dobson, that would be a cracking midfield duo 
    He’s 24 in March and has been said he’ll be leaving West Ham at the end of his contract. I’d imagine they’d rather get a fee for him perhaps with a sell on clause rather than lose him for nothing in the summer.

He’s had four loan spells, two in L1 and two in the Championship, both of the latter with smaller clubs in Posh and Rotherham. If he was going to seriously interest Championship clubs he’d have probably left WH by now.

He’s also played under MA at Lincoln and will be available, I’d be surprised if we weren’t interested.

It’s not the sort of signing we’ve made before but for all those reasons he seems a realistic target to me. We need to bring in experience but if we’re making several signings a few like Coventry who have some but are young enough to improve would make sense.
    I have seen today Posh fans saying he wasn't very good and they sent him back. 

I see them as sort of a gatekeeper/benchmark team in this league and of the opinion if they don't rate him, is he good enough for us? 

JCH is different as if he had a longer contract he'd still be playing for them, he's simply just ran his race there so it's a signing that makes sense.

Only time will tell but I think Peterborough fans have a decent idea on who's a good player and who's not as they've had the luxury of watching a lot of the better players in this league for a number of years 
    That was when they were in the Championship though, and when he was only 21 and had played 7 L1 games and a bit of a League Cup game prior to that in his whole career. I don't think Peterborough a league up are a benchmark for where we are right now, he subsequently was apparently very good for MK Dons in L1 and then stepped back up to the Championship to good effect after that with Rotherham
    That makes a lot more sense then, I thought it was a league 1 loan, my mistake. 

Peterborough are a benchmark side for me in this league I meant, they always tend to play good football, tend to be higher up the table rather than lower and I am of the view, if you are better than them, you're probably at least a play-offs worthy side. 
  • If you are looking for smart in English football, it's just above rocking horse shit in that order!

We had our smart, 20+ years ago, it's been a literny of fuckwits and brain dead "look at me me me's" ever since.
  • edited January 3
    Braziliance
    "You can have all the decision making in the world but cash trumps all."
    That is rubbish - even with the cash if you make the wrong decisions you get nowhere, however with less cash and the right decisions you can get somewhere
    Yeah total rubbish mate, completely ignore the fact that all the biggest spenders in this league are finishing in the top6 or just outside it year after year.

We have never spent the cash enough and failed to find that out for ourselves, the one time we did we made a joke of this league. 

Why are you using a scenario where we should be aspiring to be a league 1 side punching above their weight?

We aren't in that position and even if we were, as proven season after season, you'll stay in this league, other than the odd anomaly
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 3
    He’s from Dundee so pressume this is his house in Scotland 
  • Don't think either Dundee side are even in the SPL. Didn't Tony Watt score a hattrick for Dundee United last week in the Scottish Championship? 
  • Braziliance
    That is rubbish - even with the cash if you make the wrong decisions you get nowhere, however with less cash and the right decisions you can get somewhere
    Dushitelet spent money and got us relegated.
  • I believe him and his partner seem to have a little bit of a side hustle where they buy houses, do them up and sell them on. 
  • Braziliance
    In all of football, the best gauge of knowing where a team will finish is the wage total of the squad. It has a fairly good correlation with the actual league table. 

Sure, some smart decision making will get you to outperform, but the average higher wage squad will finish higher than a lower wage one. Money trumps. 
    But we are already one of the biggest spenders in this league.

You need to spend but you also need to spend it well and then have a good environment from which to grow a winning team.
  • Came through Dundee United's academy and started up there before moving south 

SHG is right this isn't really anything to get excited about 
  • It’s all gone a bit quiet on Gillesphey, I hope that happens as he ticks all boxes of what we need at the moment 
    Apologies if already been said.

Plymouth supporting friend of mine reckons he failed his medical.
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s all gone a bit quiet on Gillesphey, I hope that happens as he ticks all boxes of what we need at the moment 

I was just about to post if it had fallen through because of :

1) changed his mind after watching on Monday
    2) high jacked by another club
    3) failed his medical
    4) all a rouse by the Club to make it look like we are actually trying to sign players
  • Braziliance
    Yeah total rubbish mate, completely ignore the fact that all the biggest spenders in this league are finishing in the top6 or just outside it year after year.

We have never spent the cash enough and failed to find that out for ourselves, the one time we did we made a joke of this league. 

Why are you using a scenario where we should be aspiring to be a league 1 side punching above their weight?

We aren't in that position and even if we were, as proven season after season, you'll stay in this league, other than the odd anomaly
    First of all I'm not your mate, so please ditch the familiarity

Secondly I'm not suggesting that we should punch above our weight, after all what is our weight?

I do agree with you that sound finances help a club prosper but I suggest that is no good without wise decision making.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Rome wasn’t built in a day and for me, the owners still have time to turn things around. You can’t turn this club around in one window. I’d imagine any player signed this month will be signed on the basis of being ready to go next August, which is a positive if they’re good enough.

I am fairly convinced Appleton isn’t the right man to take us forward, would be very happy for him to be sacked right now, BUT I equally am bored of the managerial merry go round and can see from their perspective why they should give him this transfer window to show he is capable.
    I'm reluctantly reality checked and agree.

• Is he off …👀
    No because nobody is stupid enough to pay him what we are
  • Looks like he needs a Double Glazing Co rather than a painter.

I was just about to post if it had fallen through because of :

1) changed his mind after watching on Monday
    2) high jacked by another club
    3) failed his medical
    4) all a rouse by the Club to make it look like we are actually trying to sign players
    Probably all 4, Large.

Nothing done by halves at our club.