Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited December 2023
    If Dobbo is refusing to sign a deal then he shouldn’t be captain. 
    Don’t think stripping of the armband is going to do contract negotiations any good. Not like his not putting in the effort. 
    If he’s not going to sign? Not if negotiations aren’t going well. Remember Dillon Phillips with bow?
    He might not sign now but might in the summer.

Why unnecessarily piss him off for the next five months when we'll still need him to play for us. 

I'm not sure he's a great on the field skipper but there are no other obvious candidates so why cut off our nose to spite our face?
    As much as I was against signing him originally; JCH is the ideal captain.  He's also a no nonsense player who knows where the goal is and would be the ideal partner for Alfie. Go and get him Scott.
  • shirty5 said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-have-peterborough-striker-clarke-harris-on-list-of-potential-january-transfer-window-additions/#google_vignette

Charlton Athletic have enquired about Peterborough United forward Jonson Clarke-Harris ahead of the January transfer window opening.

The Addicks were keen on a move for the 29-year-old in the summer and have reignited their interest.

Charlton will face stiff competition for the experienced striker with clubs from League One and abroad – along with League Two high-flying Wrexham – all keen on signing Clarke Harris, 

The cynic in me thinks that that has come from Peterborough and/or JCH's agent rather than Charlton but who knows with Charles Methven around. 
    Dont think it has come from Peterborough .
  • I honestly dont see any issue with JCH. Experienced and scores goals. 

Just the risk he’s happy with a big contract, is past his peak and fitness is declining, but you could say that about any older player we sign.

This season he’s scored 4 in 12 league starts (+4 sub apps), an ok record, hopefully if we sign him more to come through being a regular.
  • Scoham said:
    I honestly dont see any issue with JCH. Experienced and scores goals. 

Just the risk he’s happy with a big contract, is past his peak and fitness is declining, but you could say that about any older player we sign.

This season he’s scored 4 in 12 league starts (+4 sub apps), an ok record, hopefully if we sign him more to come through being a regular.
    Think his fitness wont be 100% due to lack of playing time but as you say, he makes an impact it seems. He is only 29 aswell! 

He will come in to start I would think. Kanu is doing his best but he isnt quite ready yet. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    If we could only sign two players, for a total of £1M, what would you go for?
    I'd personally go for two quality, tough midfielders, because I think that’s the area where we are weakest. 
    Being optimistic for a moment (😩), the right signings could transform this side. We’ve played well for 45 minutes quite often this season, and a bit of steel in the side might mean we’d be less easy to bully out of our stride. 
    We’re not looking at playoffs this year, so not really essential to buy a striker right now, when better will be available in the summer.

An improved midfield will shield the defence better, and also provide better service for the forwards; May, Tedić and Kanu, with Aneke possibly returning in February. What a difference he’ll make towards the end of the season if fit. 
    Tedić (same applies to the other forwards) has tended to receive the ball miles from the goal when the team is struggling (so most of the time). Perhaps he’ll do better getting the ball around the box, where he’s actually looked quite sharp at times. (A couple of good shots that required decent saves, a couple of good swivel & shots). Clutching at straws maybe!
    Our full backs are a bit meh, particularly Watson, but we have Assimwe coming through, and long term I think Chin may still be an option (remember the Brighton game?) Edun is decent I think, but again, higher quality full backs will be available in the summer if required. (Not saying they’ll splash the cash of course.)

If we lose CBT, then we do have a problem. I’m assuming we won’t get much of a fee, which is real shame, as I think with a longer contract the right club might part with a fair amount for a player with his qualities. I’d personally lean towards playing two up top and 3-5-2 with him gone. 
    Oh, and can we try and get someone with a long throw!?
    I’d be looking at the spine of the team - a good all round CM and a physical striker, with a CB next if we could bring in more. Both would improve us defensively by helping us keep the ball better and compete physically higher up the pitch and with set pieces - our defending won’t be solved just by bringing in better defenders, and our current GK and back four are at least settled.

I’m not convinced by 3-5-2, while Watson and Edun are arguably more suited to it, they’re not great going forward. I think we’d need better wing backs for it to work.
  • A fit and motivated JCH is a top signing. If he's on the downslope and is not going to come in and give it his all then I wouldn't bother even putting a bid in. 
  • Scoham said:

He can leave in the summer on a free. Posh are desperate to get some money for him now.
  • Scoham said:

Think his fitness wont be 100% due to lack of playing time but as you say, he makes an impact it seems. He is only 29 aswell! 

He will come in to start I would think. Kanu is doing his best but he isnt quite ready yet. 
    Don't forget, he scored against us. Of course he would come in to start games.
  • Sponsored links:

• redbuttle said:
    Scoham said:

He can leave in the summer on a free. Posh are desperate to get some money for him now.
    I know, but with his goalscoring record he’ll want a good wage and probably at least a 2.5 year contract.
  • redbuttle said:
    Scoham said:

Which is why it suits Posh  to leak a story about not just our interest but other clubs too.

So far, Scott seems to have played his cards close to his chest but I don't doubt JCH is on our radar, I'd be more surprised if he wasn't.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    A fit and motivated JCH is a top signing. If he's on the downslope and is not going to come in and give it his all then I wouldn't bother even putting a bid in. 
    But how would the club which it is?

This is where proper recruitment comes in, not relying on stats and data analysis but digger a lot deeper into his personality and behaviour.
    There have been talks that he is (or can be) a bit of a dickhead which if the squad is already low on morale isn't going to help matters.

On the other hand he might also be the kind who could be convinced if we sell him on the concept of being a big fish in the pond, and that he can turn things around (for himself and us.)

I wouldn't be opposed to the signing in theory but I wouldn't be hailing it as an automatic good thing either. It seems a bit of a gamble honestly - hes got the talent and the record, the question is whether he applies himself.
  • Not sure how to feel about JCH, as others have said he’s notorious for having a bit of an attitude problem but certainly on the pitch we’re lacking someone with that fight and aggression. He’s also good at making the ball stick to his feet which can be so useful in the last 10 mins where we’re constantly leaking goals 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    A fit and motivated JCH is a top signing. If he's on the downslope and is not going to come in and give it his all then I wouldn't bother even putting a bid in. 
    But how would the club know which it is?

This is where proper recruitment comes in, not relying on stats and data analysis but digging a lot deeper into his personality and behaviour.

Absolutely , I'll always think back to some of the Powell interviews about the 11/12 squad he constructed and the amount of depth he went into about how personalities would fit into the squad. 
  • edited December 2023
    On paper JCH and May would be a decent pairing together. Would still need another striker imo as both Aneke and Leaburn are prone to injury.  I wonder how much a 29yr old striker with 6m on his contract would cost. Alfie May was £250K, I suspect JCH would be £350-500K?
  • Literally the perfect foil for Alfie May, would frighten the life out of defences
  • If we did get JCH then you would have to imagine that we would be moving to a system that accommodates 2 up top.

3-5-2 would probably make the most sense, especially if CBT is off, but we would also need at least another quality WB, and CB. 

Maybe we might see at least one midfielder leave as well as we wouldn’t need 6 midfielders, plus Anderson in a system which only plays 2. 
  • Scoham said:

I think Cawley's got that one round his neck. The club wouldn't make it look like it's come from them.
  • Sponsored links:

• If we did get JCH then you would have to imagine that we would be moving to a system that accommodates 2 up top.

3-5-2 would probably make the most sense, especially if CBT is off, but we would also need at least another quality WB, and CB. 

Maybe we might see at least one midfielder leave as well as we wouldn’t need 6 midfielders, plus Anderson in a system which only plays 2. 
    We’d play 3 midfielders in 3-5-2? Same as 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

This makes sense but with Appleton I’m not sure. I think he’s one of those managers that will never stray far away from his way of playing 
  • Scoham said:
    If we did get JCH then you would have to imagine that we would be moving to a system that accommodates 2 up top.

We’d play 3 midfielders in 3-5-2? Same as 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.
    I’m an idiot who can’t count. 
  • Didn't Andy Scott even say he goes into alot of detail on the personalities of potential players? Well I can't see how that's true if he wants to sign JCH.

On the other hand, I don't think there is an effective formation that gets the best out of both May and CBT. So let's just rip the plaster off and sell CBT now and play a 352 with May and JCH up front.

I think Edun can be an effective wing back, and Asimwe would flourish with less defensive responsibility also.

Would also say an attacking midfielder to sit behind them
  • Chunes said:
    I think JCH will be the first signing of the Jan window. It will be easier to get done early since he's barely playing for P'boro and they want rid. 

He might an arrogant and difficult bloke, but seems like we've got too many nice boys playing for us at the moment, and we're a soft touch as a result. So maybe that will be a good thing. 

The owners have told Cawley they are ready and willing to invest in this window. In his latest podcast it's pretty clear. Appleton has said it's going to be a big window, Scott has said it... They know that if it ends up being a shite window, they will have lost all creditibility. They won't be saying these things lightly. 
    We are playing them on January 13th, doubt they’d let him come here before that game. Would look a bit stupid if we beat them due to JCH and that could cost them promotion 
  • Didn't Andy Scott even say he goes into alot of detail on the personalities of potential players? Well I can't see how that's true if he wants to sign JCH.

On the other hand, I don't think there is an effective formation that gets the best out of both May and CBT. So let's just rip the plaster off and sell CBT now and play a 352 with May and JCH up front.

I think Edun can be an effective wing back, and Asimwe would flourish with less defensive responsibility also.
    ‘Right fit for the club’
    ’Will improve the team’
    ’Right personality’

etc etc

All people involved directly in transfers say it, because maybe they believe it. They are also hardly going to come out and say there want to recruit lazy bastards either as well.
  • I'd take JCH now, especially if Pboro want him gone, he'll have a point to prove and it would help May to have a hold-up forward.
    It would, in my opinion, need backing up with maybe Ladapo from Ipswich and a battling midfielder to allow Fraser to be a 'provider'. A new CB (Taylor on loan from WBA) and a skillful winger if CBT is off.
    An experienced keeper would finish my wishlist, but can we get all that done for the reported £1m? Only a few days left to find out, as we need these players in 'pronto' especially if our current loanees are being sent back..which isn't a bad thing as far as Tedic and Campbell are concerned!
  • edited December 2023
    PWADDICK said:
    If we did get JCH then you would have to imagine that we would be moving to a system that accommodates 2 up top.

Would also say an attacking midfielder to sit behind them
    Could go 3-4-1-2, but feels like we have an abundance of midfielders to play a 3-5-2 without having to spend on a ‘number 10’. Dobson/Taylor and any combination of McGrandles, Fraser, Camera and Watson feels like it could work fine with JCH and May as outlets. 

Not sure what would happen with Tyreece development if we move to this formation. As much as he has been poor recently, I do really rate him as a prospect.

I'd take JCH now, especially if Pboro want him gone, he'll have a point to prove and it would help May to have a hold-up forward.
    It would, in my opinion, need backing up with maybe Ladapo from Ipswich and a battling midfielder to allow Fraser to be a 'provider'. A new CB (Taylor on loan from WBA) and a skillful winger if CBT is off.
    An experienced keeper would finish my wishlist, but can we get all that done for the reported £1m? Only a few days left to find out, as we need these players in 'pronto' especially if our current loanees are being sent back..which isn't a bad thing as far as Tedic and Campbell are concerned!
    I would love a big experienced keeper, but just don’t see it happening this window.