Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited December 2023
    I keep reading that we dont have the players for 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 5-3-2, 3-5-2 the Christmas tree formation or in the words of Mike Bassett, 4-4-f*****g 2!!!!

surely we need a manager and technical director that agree on the vision and formation, implement this from the first team down through the academy and sign players that fit this system.

pretty simple really.
    Problem is I don’t even think our technical director knew which formation(s) he wanted to recruit for.

Which certainly didn’t help when they went to recruit a manager, and he just spun some guff about ‘high performance/standards mentality’ or something like that. 
  • Mrkinski said:
    There will be CB most likey from WBA unless there other CB gets called up for international games in Jan .. CM and Number 10 , Winger ( althrough I think we need two this is the most important position to sort out ) and striker likey to be the the one we tired to sign in summer ? more important Aneke, Camara Taylor and McGrandles all returning early Jan 
    What striker is that?
    We were linked with Kion Etete, Sam Nombe and Cosgrove…as Nombe and Cosgrove both moved elsewhere, I think it’s safe to assume this guy is talking rubbish again. 

….Rubbish …….. well it’s the young Jamican who went to Italy 🇮🇹 looks like we are trying to get him on loan 
  • Mrkinski said:
    There will be CB most likey from WBA unless there other CB gets called up for international games in Jan .. CM and Number 10 , Winger ( althrough I think we need two this is the most important position to sort out ) and striker likey to be the the one we tired to sign in summer ? more important Aneke, Camara Taylor and McGrandles all returning early Jan 
    What striker is that?
    We were linked with Kion Etete, Sam Nombe and Cosgrove…as Nombe and Cosgrove both moved elsewhere, I think it’s safe to assume this guy is talking rubbish again. 

….Rubbish …….. well it’s the young Jamican who went to Italy 🇮🇹 looks like we are trying to get him on loan 

Source? And the other forum doesn’t count. 
  • The team that starts next season needs to be unrecognisable from the team that started yesterday. At least eight first eleven starters need to arrive between now and then. 
    Jones and May are the only one's I want to see in the starting line-up next season.
    ? Isted Watson Edun are very good at this level and will only improve , McGrandles will be a assist at this level we were just seeing that before he got injured , Leaburn still got a lot to learn but useful squad member and Fraser playing his proper role is still one of the best in this league and if we can get Camara back wing he many better mid … but it’s about the system if we are going ti be successful with 433 then it’s pretty simple what we need to make it successful and that’s better wingers who are more consistent in creating chances and  are better defensively .. get them two positions sorted and we are not far away 
  • tbf I think Fraser has kind of Gilbeyed, @cabbles has called this one right, I'll reluctantly concede
  • edited December 2023
    Current assists in League 1

Also on five assists are Mason-Clarke, K. Dembélé and Harrison Burrows. Our main midfield creator has zero. 
    Other than CBT we have TC on five apparently, and L Watson on four. 
    [These stats are probably out of date, because Lancashire lad has Corey on eight assists]
  • I still can't shake the feeling that CBT, especially recently, has been operating at about 70% at best. If we're to take Steve Brown at his word, he's absolutely one of the ones who's slacking off, maybe even the worst example
  • edited December 2023
    CBT was carrying two injuries a few weeks ago, I'd be surprised if he's over both of them. 

But even when he's fit, he's still one of the lowest-performing wingers in the league on the defensive side.

If he does go, it would be good to get a balanced player.
  • Leuth said:
    I still can't shake the feeling that CBT, especially recently, has been operating at about 70% at best. If we're to take Steve Brown at his word, he's absolutely one of the ones who's slacking off, maybe even the worst example
    I don’t think it’s anything to do with effort with Corey. Sometimes he gets going in matches, sometimes he gets marked out of it. I guess his team mates would know, but from the stand he doesn’t look like he’s given up trying to me. Could be wrong though. Who knows. But I don’t see him as one of our myriad problems. I suspect oppo managers would pick him out as a threat to be dealt with. Him and Alfie only, I suspect. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We are diabolical and need strengthening all over the pitch. Injuries are nothing new, all teams plan for them by having quality in depth. We lack both quality and depth.
  • The warmest Boxing Day for 30yrs, CBT is wearing gloves, tells you all you need to know about attitude.
    Haha I had 3 lads behind me at the game who were in great form cracking the jokes about the glove wearers etc.

One of them dubbed Appleton Skullhead/Skullface as well which has now become my new favourite nickname for him also. 
  • The team that starts next season needs to be unrecognisable from the team that started yesterday. At least eight first eleven starters need to arrive between now and then. 
    Jones and May are the only one's I want to see in the starting line-up next season.
    ? Isted Watson Edun are very good at this level and will only improve , McGrandles will be a assist at this level we were just seeing that before he got injured , Leaburn still got a lot to learn but useful squad member and Fraser playing his proper role is still one of the best in this league and if we can get Camara back wing he many better mid … but it’s about the system if we are going ti be successful with 433 then it’s pretty simple what we need to make it successful and that’s better wingers who are more consistent in creating chances and  are better defensively .. get them two positions sorted and we are not far away 
    Ronnie there is an argument to be had with regards to both McGrandles and Camara. Both are now spending more time with the physio than they are with the first team. I have supported McGrandles, simply because we do not have that type of player in the club. As for Camara, he isn't even our player and once again there are huge questions over his road to recovery and the timescale, a for Leaburn, he has spent or will spend, twelve months out of the last eighteen injured, we need to nurse him back to fitness. 
  • edited December 2023
    ValleyBen said:
    I defended Fraser last season, thought he was harshly treated by some of our fans but now he really is the biggest example of our many failings. 

Does he actually bring anything to the team currently?
    Same, I even stuck my neck out and said if I had to pick a player to build a team with I'd opt for Fraser over Dobson, unfortunately very wide of the mark with the statement.

As the season goes on though I have to say, I don't think Dobson is the solution either. He's just a player who doesn't really perform poorly in a very poor side, would be curious to see how he does for a better side or if he would start. Personally thought Pratley looked better yesterday and we said thank but no thanks to Pratters a few seasons ago now. 

Midfield is definitely a position we really need to invest in next season irrespective of Dobson staying imho
  • JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    I still can't shake the feeling that CBT, especially recently, has been operating at about 70% at best. If we're to take Steve Brown at his word, he's absolutely one of the ones who's slacking off, maybe even the worst example
    I don’t think it’s anything to do with effort with Corey. Sometimes he gets going in matches, sometimes he gets marked out of it. I guess his team mates would know, but from the stand he doesn’t look like he’s given up trying to me. Could be wrong though. Who knows. But I don’t see him as one of our myriad problems. I suspect oppo managers would pick him out as a threat to be dealt with. Him and Alfie only, I suspect. 
    Although he can be infuriating at times when he's got 3 men marking him and he still tries cutting inside rather than passing it but that may be partly down to the fact that our other players aren't moving in to the space freed up by CBT to offer options.  The lack of intelligence in this team lately is very evident - never seem to pick up the pockets of space freed up by the attention given to our main creative threat or make the simple wide runs to give our centre backs someone to pass to.  It's either the Hollywood through ball or hopeless long ball which get lapped up by the oppo defence. 

Midfield has been a problem all season - the balance is all wrong we don't have genuine box to boxers who can impose themselves both defensively and going forward - too many one dimensional slow or inexperienced players.  I like Dobbo but is he just another Semedo who was equally one-dimensional albeit fully committed to the cause - didn't to us any harm when he left and SCP rebuilt the midfield without him. 
  • Alfie is a lethal goalscorer who seems to play best in a two, a formation quite rare now, with so many teams playing 433 or 4231. Maybe it's this which allowed us to get him for a laughably low fee, for someone with his goal record.
  • I’d still like to see May play in a 2 up top, we just don’t have anyone to partner him.
    and Hector in a three, don't think he suits a two
  • If we could get some decent money for him wouldn't mind CBT going....too inconsistent....definitely keep Dobson but need to help him with a creative midfielder and let him do what he is good at....defensive mid who can break up play and then lay it off simple.....we need a big man up front with May as well...... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Getting May a strike partner feels like a big piece of the puzzle, it would mean MA admitting 4231 isn't the right shape but it feels like the shape is never going to work. 

Midfield is something I'm struggling to get my head around beyond the fact that Fraser can only operate as a 10. Feels like we haven't seen enough of Taylor to judge exactly what he's going to offer and Mcgrandles/Camara have been in and out. I'd be getting Anderson a L2 loan for the rest of the season to develop him. 

Will be interesting to see what Luton think of Louie Watson being in and out of favour but I'd expect it being his first loan out of Luton that he'll stay around. 

I'd be looking for another winger too regardless of what ultimately happens to CBT , would potentially free up Tyreece Campbell to go out on loan too and just get some gametime.

Same goes for Lucas Ness who badly needs to go and play , so if the rumours of interest in Caleb Taylor from WBA materialise then I'd be loaning out Ness.

Feels like a lot to ask for in a usually chaotic January window when clubs have to pay over the odds but I think it's ultimately what's needed. 

• They wont be spending any money, and any half decent players will look at our shower of the mucky stuff and would not want to tarnish their own futures! Especially if they get any indication of the content of the forum?
  • edited December 2023
    They wont be spending any money, and any half decent players will look at our shower of the mucky stuff and would not want to tarnish their own futures! Especially if they get any indication of the content of the forum?
    If you offer good money then you’ve got half a chance of securing your targets. I know we’ve fallen pretty low but I don’t think we’ve reached the point where joining Charlton tarnishes a players reputation or future. 
  • And the transfers rumours are?
  • cblock said:
    And the transfers rumours are?
    None
  • Leuth said:
    tbf I think Fraser has kind of Gilbeyed, @cabbles has called this one right, I'll reluctantly concede
    If it’s any consolation, I thought that fish you served up on xmas day showed adaptability under pressure, and to share it with the wider Charlton Life community on rate my plate was the sort of bold move Fraser the flake could learn a lesson from

• cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    tbf I think Fraser has kind of Gilbeyed, @cabbles has called this one right, I'll reluctantly concede
    If it’s any consolation, I thought that fish you served up on xmas day showed adaptability under pressure, and to share it with the wider Charlton Life community on rate my plate was the sort of bold move Fraser the flake could learn a lesson from

When I bumped into Paddy before the game he said 'that looked well nice' #feeesh #thefishabides #fishmas
  • In fact I'm making bacon-wrapped tilapia right now. I cannot be stopped. Unlike our midfield
  • I think Dobson will be off this window. I did think back in the summer that Terry Taylor is the long term plan. Obviously the injury hasn’t helped. 

• Addick_8 said:
    I think Dobson will be off this window. I did think back in the summer that Terry Taylor is the long term plan. Obviously the injury hasn’t helped. 

Have you looked at the George Dobson thread?
    According to that person, Dobson is signing a 3year deal with us. 
    Source of the comment is Dobson’s dad apparently.