Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• MrBurns said:
    Chunes said:
    Andy Scott has told Cawley that neither CBT nor Dobson are close to signing new deals.
    Mr Scott is clearly putting them in the shop window then
    He’d be silly not to if they have no intention of resigning.
    Agree, the only issue could be if they have already decided to run down their contracts. As Browny explained on the stream a few weeks back, it might be in their benefit to sign on a free in the summer. 
  • MrBurns said:
    Chunes said:
    Andy Scott has told Cawley that neither CBT nor Dobson are close to signing new deals.
    But because they only have 6 months left, the bids coming in won't be very good either.
  • Honestly. Why would be bother? We aren't going anywhere this season
    I would sign the bare minimum. Sack the current manager off once we are definitely safe. Get a decent plan together with a decent manager and assemble the squad required EARLY!!
  • MrBurns said:
    Chunes said:
    But because they only have 6 months left, the bids coming in won't be very good either.

But isn't that an argument that our £1M transfer budget (if true) could be put to good use the other way around with us picking up players in the cheap because of short contracts.
  • MrBurns said:
    Chunes said:
    Well if CBT goes & is not adequately replaced then its not the play offs we have to worry about but avoiding relegation. 
  • MrBurns said:
    Chunes said:

But isn't that an argument that our £1M transfer budget (if true) could be put to good use the other way around with us picking up players in the cheap because of short contracts.
    No way is the transfer budget 1 million, needs to be at least 10 million just to bring the squad up to scratch.

1 million will get us some cheese and biscuits, with a few pork scratching thrown in.
  • MrBurns said:
    Chunes said:
    Well if CBT goes & is not adequately replaced then its not the play offs we have to worry about but avoiding relegation. 
    There is no danger of us being relegated this season, with or without those two players.
  • MrBurns said:
    Chunes said:
    There is no danger of us being relegated this season, with or without those two players.
    I think we would just about finish 18th if those two go 
  • Sponsored links:

• If we could keep one of Dobson or CBT who would you go for?

CBT for me, because of the assists and goals, will be hard to replace on our budget, see Jayesimi, Kirk signings 
  • CBT without a doubt. I actually think Taylor long term is a decent replacement for Dobson, just need another box to box midfielder in with him with a better engine than Fraser
  • MrBurns said:
    Chunes said:
    Agreed.
    Certainly with Dobson we'd should have had  contracts sorted by the end of last season.
  • MrBurns said:
    Chunes said:
    Pity he doesn't put himself in the shop window.

• Honestly. Why would be bother? We aren't going anywhere this season
    I would sign the bare minimum. Sack the current manager off once we are definitely safe. Get a decent plan together with a decent manager and assemble the squad required EARLY!!
    Great idea, but getting a decent manager ain't going to happen.
  • edited December 2023
    If we could only sign two players, for a total of £1M, what would you go for?
    I'd personally go for two quality, tough midfielders, because I think that’s the area where we are weakest. 
    Being optimistic for a moment (😩), the right signings could transform this side. We’ve played well for 45 minutes quite often this season, and a bit of steel in the side might mean we’d be less easy to bully out of our stride. 
    We’re not looking at playoffs this year, so not really essential to buy a striker right now, when better will be available in the summer.

An improved midfield will shield the defence better, and also provide better service for the forwards; May, Tedić and Kanu, with Aneke possibly returning in February. What a difference he’ll make towards the end of the season if fit. 
    Tedić (same applies to the other forwards) has tended to receive the ball miles from the goal when the team is struggling (so most of the time). Perhaps he’ll do better getting the ball around the box, where he’s actually looked quite sharp at times. (A couple of good shots that required decent saves, a couple of good swivel & shots). Clutching at straws maybe!
    Our full backs are a bit meh, particularly Watson, but we have Assimwe coming through, and long term I think Chin may still be an option (remember the Brighton game?) Edun is decent I think, but again, higher quality full backs will be available in the summer if required. (Not saying they’ll splash the cash of course.)

If we lose CBT, then we do have a problem. I’m assuming we won’t get much of a fee, which is real shame, as I think with a longer contract the right club might part with a fair amount for a player with his qualities. I’d personally lean towards playing two up top and 3-5-2 with him gone. 
    Oh, and can we try and get someone with a long throw!?
  • shirty5 said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-have-peterborough-striker-clarke-harris-on-list-of-potential-january-transfer-window-additions/#google_vignette

Charlton Athletic have enquired about Peterborough United forward Jonson Clarke-Harris ahead of the January transfer window opening.

The Addicks were keen on a move for the 29-year-old in the summer and have reignited their interest.

Charlton will face stiff competition for the experienced striker with clubs from League One and abroad – along with League Two high-flying Wrexham – all keen on signing Clarke Harris, 

:)
  • Things must be bad if Charlton are leaking positive stories to the media to boost the morale around the club.

Assume this would be funded by the inevitable CBT sale.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrBurns said:
    Chunes said:
    Agreed.
    Certainly with Dobson we'd should have had  contracts sorted by the end of last season.
    And his agent would have said the same he done now .. i advise my client to wait .. perhaps he should speak to his client cause he told people at the club he wants to stay … 
  • Things must be bad if Charlton are leaking positive stories to the media to boost the morale around the club.

Assume this would be funded by the inevitable CBT sale.
    Or the new owners have spent 10m plus to buy the club and don’t plan to stay in league one. 

• If Dobbo is refusing to sign a deal then he shouldn’t be captain. 
    Don’t think stripping of the armband is going to do contract negotiations any good. Not like his not putting in the effort. 
  • Do find it funny how these stories come out the morning of a game we’re likely to lose…
  • If Dobbo is refusing to sign a deal then he shouldn’t be captain. 
    Don’t think stripping of the armband is going to do contract negotiations any good. Not like his not putting in the effort. 
    If he’s not going to sign? Not if negotiations aren’t going well. Remember Dillon Phillips with bow?