Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Could see Ladapo happening but won't be until later in the window. Ipswich have just had Dane Scarlett recalled by Spurs despite the fact he barely featured for them I'd expect them to need replacements first. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    All I will say is that it will all be too little too late.  But I don't expect you'll agree with me and, like always, I'll be told to he patient, give it time blah blah blah. 

But in May when we finish 16th you'll all be agreeing with me. 

And then the summer transfer window will open & the merry-go-round will start all over again. I'll be told that Ipswich have got it all wrong by spending all that money or that Pompey are just signing players for the sake of it and they should wait until late August when all the bargains appear. 

One season.....just for once....I would like to be proved wrong. 
    It’s not all about you. 
    Says the man who lives off his grandfathers name.
    Yeah, but the only time I mention him is when I joke about how I’m ‘always banging on about him’, whereas you seem to bang on about how much cleverer you are than the rest of us after every match, even when everyone else has being saying exactly the same as you. 
    You don’t need to be calling us out all the time, even if sometimes there might be occasional disagreements about what’s wrong with the club. It just gets a bit annoying is all. And yes, you’re right quite often, but no need to keep reminding us. 
    Point taken. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Could see Ladapo happening but won't be until later in the window. Ipswich have just had Dane Scarlett recalled by Spurs despite the fact he barely featured for them I'd expect them to need replacements first. 
    Yep. Ipswich are linked with signing Jay Stansfield in Jan.
  • A CB, a central attacking midfielder, a winger and two strikers. 
    A CB, a central attacking midfielder, two other high quality midfielders, a winger and two strikers. 👍
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    All I will say is that it will all be too little too late.  But I don't expect you'll agree with me and, like always, I'll be told to he patient, give it time blah blah blah. 

And then the summer transfer window will open & the merry-go-round will start all over again. I'll be told that Ipswich have got it all wrong by spending all that money or that Pompey are just signing players for the sake of it and they should wait until late August when all the bargains appear. 

It’s not all about you. 
    Says the man who lives off his grandfathers name.
    Yeah, but the only time I mention him is when I joke about how I’m ‘always banging on about him’, whereas you seem to bang on about how much cleverer you are than the rest of us after every match, even when everyone else has being saying exactly the same as you. 
    You don’t need to be calling us out all the time, even if sometimes there might be occasional disagreements about what’s wrong with the club. It just gets a bit annoying is all. And yes, you’re right quite often, but no need to keep reminding us. 
    Point taken. 
    Thanks Golfie. Tbf, you’re pretty nearly always bang on the money. 👍
  • Mrkinski said:
    There will be CB most likey from WBA unless there other CB gets called up for international games in Jan .. CM and Number 10 , Winger ( althrough I think we need two this is the most important position to sort out ) and striker likey to be the the one we tired to sign in summer ? more important Aneke, Camara Taylor and McGrandles all returning early Jan 
    What striker is that?
    We were linked with Kion Etete, Sam Nombe and Cosgrove…as Nombe and Cosgrove both moved elsewhere, I think it’s safe to assume this guy is talking rubbish again. 
    Think he means Ladapo….who I could see moving on if/when Ipswich buy a new striker to help them make it to the Prem.
    Thats what I thought too although Ladapo came on as a sub for them last night. Ipswich like to attack, would they want to keep him as another attacking option
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Could see Ladapo happening but won't be until later in the window. Ipswich have just had Dane Scarlett recalled by Spurs despite the fact he barely featured for them I'd expect them to need replacements first. 
    Yep. Ipswich are linked with signing Jay Stansfield in Jan.

That would be a fantastic move for them. 
  • edited December 2023
    I think we need to recruit the right sort of players to excel in some sort of system.

At the moment we play a 4-2-3-1/-4-3-3 but don’t have the depth on the wings and it’s a formation that does not necessarily get the best out of our main striker.  

We on the whole look like we recruited to play a 3-5-2, but that formation certainly does not get the best out of one our better players in CBT, and does not utilise the millions of midfielders we have and we lack the depth in our he WB positions.

Of course there can be some flexibility in how you line up etc, but it just all feels like muddled and unaligned thinking to me. 
  • I’d still like to see May play in a 2 up top, we just don’t have anyone to partner him.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we need to recruit the right sort of players to excel in some sort of system.

At the moment we play a 4-2-3-1/-4-3-3 but don’t have the depth on the wings and it’s a formation that does not necessarily get the best out of our main striker.  

We on the whole look like we recruited to play a 3-5-2, but that formation certainly does not get the best out of one our better players in CBT, and does not utilise the millions of midfielders we have and we lack the depth in our he WB positions.

Of course there can be some flexibility in how you line up etc, but it just all feels like muddled and unaligned thinking to me. 
    CBT is leaving either now or in the summer so I would factor that into our planning and go with 3-5-2. 

We are a lot nearer a good 3-5-2 than we are a good 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 and our best player suits a 3-5-2. It’s a no brainer 
  • I’d still like to see May play in a 2 up top, we just don’t have anyone to partner him.
    he sort of was when playing in the 10 behind Aneke/Leaburn and it worked well
  • Personally for me, with the current squad we have, I’d be looking to play a fluid 4-3-3 and recruit for that.

Isted (SK DE)

Watson (WB SU) - Hector (BPD SU) - Jones (BPD SU) - Edun (WB SU)

Dobson (DM DE)
    Frazer (Mez AT) - Camera (BBM SU)

Leaburn (IF AT) - May (PF AT) - CBT (IW AT)

May and Leaburn would swap place throughout the match, with Fraser picking up those spaces when either ‘winger’ tucks in. Dobson would shield the defence, with Camera driving defence into attack. 

We have the midfielders in the squad already to with similar attributes to cover each position. We would need another winger, inside forward/pressing forward - and another WB and CB. 

This post was brought to you by me playing way to much football manager this year. 

• J BLOCK said:
    Looking at Scott's recruitment to date it's hard to be optimistic.

I quite like Edun and he might be a high-energy midfielder but he sure as hell is not a left back.

And Watson is not a bad footballer either but no way is he Chris Solly reincarnated.

And you could probably pick an entire 11 from the duds, injured and misfits that Scott has brought in to date, most of whom I have already forgotten.  
    Personally I think he's bang average and if we are 'building for the future', he is in no way shape or form good enough for the league above. 
    Think he is a damn site better than T Watson. I would prefer Assimwe to Watson in the right hand berth. 

I don’t think Edun is our issue. 
    I completely agree with you. 

However we have a manager in Appleton who wouldn’t dare play a front two! Won’t even do it when we are 1 down with 5/10 mins to play!!
  • All I will say is that it will all be too little too late.  But I don't expect you'll agree with me and, like always, I'll be told to he patient, give it time blah blah blah. 

Have faith could be next season 23/24 if owners want it enough.
  • Personally for me, with the current squad we have, I’d be looking to play a fluid 4-3-3 and recruit for that.

Isted (SK DE)

Watson (WB SU) - Hector (BPD SU) - Jones (BPD SU) - Edun (WB SU)

Dobson (DM DE)
    Frazer (Mez AT) - Camera (BBM SU)

Leaburn (IF AT) - May (PF AT) - CBT (IW AT)

May and Leaburn would swap place throughout the match, with Fraser picking up those spaces when either ‘winger’ tucks in. Dobson would shield the defence, with Camera driving defence into attack. 

We have the midfielders in the squad already to with similar attributes to cover each position. We would need another winger, inside forward/pressing forward - and another WB and CB. 

This post was brought to you by me playing way to much football manager this year. 

the problem is that i think apples has been playing it too
  • Sponsored links:

• The team that starts next season needs to be unrecognisable from the team that started yesterday. At least eight first eleven starters need to arrive between now and then. 
    Jones and May are the only one's I want to see in the starting line-up next season.
    I’d add Dobson to those two but I wouldn’t be distraught if he wasn’t. 
  • Dobson, May, CBT & Jones are all fine IMO, it is the others that need to step up.

Not counting our youngsters who may just need more time to develop, ideally on loan. 
  • ValleyBen said:
    Dobson, May, CBT & Jones are all fine IMO, it is the others that need to step up.

Not counting our youngsters who may just need more time to develop, ideally on loan. 
    I Just don’t think it’s as simple as that. Can you fit May and CBT into the same system which gets the best out of both of them - you might do with a 4-4-2, but is Dobson mobile enough and good enough on the ball consistently to play in a 2 in midfield? 

• ValleyBen said:
    Dobson, May, CBT & Jones are all fine IMO, it is the others that need to step up.

I Just don’t think it’s as simple as that. Can you fit May and CBT into the same system which gets the best out of both of them - you might do with a 4-4-2, but is Dobson mobile enough and good enough on the ball consistently to play in a 2 in midfield? 

I believe it is that simple, they are meant for each other, May just needs to be played making the runs in from behind a hold up type striker, getting on the end of tap ins from CBT crosses when he beats his full back, since when fully fit there is not a full back in the league who can stop Corey in a one on one situation. 
  • edited December 2023
    ValleyBen said:

That is how I see it. At the start I was adamant those were the two we would miss the most in CBT and Dobbo, now I'm of the view that May and Jones are the key players as I feel whichever team we line up with in the future, they can fit in. 

Dobson I am not so sure about in a 2 man midfield and I am not sure if he has the technical ability to suit a system to him. CBT the same in that sense of unique playstyle. He has terrifying pace and dangerous on his day, but leaves us so exposed on one wing and when he gets man marked, we may as well have 10 men. When you think of his best performances, they've all been against poor sides below us. I don't believe he is championship quality at all and rather a good punt for a championship side, ditto Dobson.

If you offered me right now a new manager that has proven success at this level of above and a completely new squad with Jones and May as part of the squad. I'd be happy with that. 

We need at least 7 to 9 new first teamers if we want out of this league. 

Two of the biggest issues we have is that two of our highest earners in Fraser and Chuks, aren't consistent or good enough to get promoted and we are stuck with them until at least summer 2025. No one is going to buy them so it's such a waste of wages.
  • ValleyBen said:

That is how I see it. At the start I was adamant those were the two we would miss the most in CBT and Dobbo, now I'm of the view that May and Jones are the key players as I feel whichever team we line up with in the future, they can fit in. 

Dobson I am not so sure about in a 2 man midfield and I am not sure if he has the technical ability to suit a system to him. CBT the same in that sense of unique playstyle. He has terrifying pace and dangerous on his day, but leaves us so exposed on one wing and when he gets man marked, we may as well have 10 men. When you think of his best performances, they've all been against poor sides below us. I don't believe he is championship quality at all and rather a good punt for a championship side, ditto Dobson.

If you offered me right now a new manager that has proven success at this level of above and a completely new squad with Jones and May as part of the squad. I'd be happy with that. 

Two of the biggest issues we have is that two of our highest earners in Fraser and Chuks, aren't consistent or good enough to get promoted and we are stuck with them until at least summer 2025. No one is going to buy them so it's such a waste of wages.
    For me I don’t think there’s anything wrong with playing a 4-2-3-1, but we just don’t have the players for it. 

The big problem for me, nevermind attacking wise, and why I personally think we are over exposed a lot is that Fraser and Dobson just don’t work well enough as a double pivot, and we don’t have a ‘number 10’.

Neither Dobson or Fraser have the mobility, and Chem Campbell to me is a winger playing in the most pivotal role in that system, and it just leaves us overrun. I know it’s fashionable to hate on Fraser whilst pretending Dobson is *doing everything* but I think neither are really doing an outstanding job - mainly due to being forced to employ skill sets not natural to them. 
  • ValleyBen said:

For me I don’t think there’s anything wrong with playing a 4-2-3-1, but we just don’t have the players for it. 

The big problem for me, nevermind attacking wise, and why I personally think we are over exposed a lot is that Fraser and Dobson just don’t work well enough as a double pivot, and we don’t have a ‘number 10’.

Neither Dobson or Fraser have the mobility, and Chem Campbell to me is a winger playing in the most pivotal role in that system, and it just leaves us overrun. I know it’s fashionable to hate on Fraser whilst pretending Dobson is *doing everything* but I think neither are really doing an outstanding job - mainly due to being forced to employ skill sets not natural to them. 
    4231 is a very solid formation and makes you hard to beat, and with the right players give you plenty of attacking options. 

Our issue is though the striker has to be a fairly versatile forward who can hold and play a bit and the number 10 has to be creative and carry the ball well, I'm not sure if Alf can do either of those roles to a high level so I'd prefer a formation to get the best out of him. 

Dobson is a decent player, good engine, he can pass fairly well, even on his bad days he's never the worst on the pitch, but he is limited no doubt. I think his best position would be in a pure CDM role where his sole purpose is to break up play when we are in shit, regain the ball and play it out. I don't think he has the legs to play a box to box role and if we are honest he isn't mobile and quick enough to a pure central midfielder. Although I have yet to see him play consistently with a player on his level.

We are screwed as we do have too many luxury players. It's such a rebuild job, I completely underestimated it at the start of the season and was well wide of the mark in saying we are play off contenders and only 3 players away.