Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• PopIcon said:
    First good bit of business was sacking Kirk, second would be sacking Appleton and picking the man for the job next season
    Ridiculous suggestion to sack Appleton. Start by sack the recruitment team.
    All day long.
    On your bike SMT.
  • edited December 2023
    Orient coms keep
    saying Taylor- Blackett & completely got the wrong Campbell,when Chem  went down injured they were on about his middle name being Tupac…
  • We need a goalkeeper, a left back, a centre back, two centre midfielders, a winger and a striker.

Good luck.
    May is our only good striker available and even he needs someone next to him

kanu not ready

tedic useless and needs sending back

we need at least 2 good strikers in
  • We were told in the summer that we weren’t going in for another left back because we felt Thomas was good enough cover for Edun. We’re at the point now where we could sign almost any left back in the world and I would question if Edun was good enough cover for him. The most disappointed I’ve been in a signing in a while. I’m hopeful he’s secretly the best midfielder ever because whatever he’s doing at left back isn’t it. 
  • Need better players in almost every position. The summer was the time to do it but we just replaced rubbish with more rubbish 
  • Sponsored links:

• Which players in their right mind are thinking coming to us will be a good move?
    As Groucho Marx said (ish) if a player wants to come here that should disqualify them for being wrong 'uns.
    I would rather have a miserable time with our young players than finished, has been, mercenaries.
  • I keep seeing posts that we have a okay squad on paper, the manager should be getting more out of them etc. Besides 2 or 3 players this is a lower league 1 team. That's why when the manager changes the poor results continue. This is also why most players that depart the club end up in L2. 

Years of loans and free players, cost saving and terrible recruitment has left this club a shell of its former self. To get out of this league you need a decent manager and spent the money to hoover up the talent. The current strategy is the same strategy the small L1 clubs all use, loans and freebies. Yes, the odd time it proves successful but for the most part it's mid table at best one can hope for.

But, we'll hear the same old story rolled out in January, we tried to spend money but couldn't quite get them over the line. Instead we'll get some more free injury prone players and a few loans of kids no one has ever heard of. 

This is really starting to wear me down as I'm sure most feel the same.

• It all harks back to the summer window, ok we were a bit behind the eight ball due to the delay of our takeover but we had enough time to do better than we did and clearly there was an over reliance on youth. I've given up on this year again now. We should be making a plan for next summer starting so we start next season we a good enough squad and a bit momentum. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    Scott knew before the takeover that it was going through and had plenty of time to get player's ready to come in when it was done
    Is it within the rules to talk to players and get them ready to sign before you are even part of the club? 

I’m not defending him as do agree he could have done more than what’s happened, but don’t think we can moan that he didn’t have players ready to sign as soon as takeover was completed. Surely needed to officially be part of the club before making the deals etc. 
  • Talking to players before you buy goes on all the time. You just cannot make it known publicly. They talk to the agents first, see if the player  would be interested, then go in with a bid later
  • ross1 said:
    Talking to players before you buy goes on all the time. You just cannot make it known publicly. They talk to the agents first, see if the player  would be interested, then go in with a bid later
    I think the poster meant is it allowable before you actually own the Club or actually employed by the Club.
  • Appleton still has credit with me. Squad is struggling with injuries and is full of kids on the bench. Blame us 100% on the Recruitment team than management for me. However, I don’t understand why L Watson can’t get a start in midfield
  • ross1 said:
    Scott knew before the takeover that it was going through and had plenty of time to get player's ready to come in when it was done
    I don’t agree with this. A takeover is done when it’s done and not before. Agents, players and other clubs won’t be fussed in dealing with what might or might not be. Sadly for us the new ownership didn’t have a summer window and this January and next summer will inform us what their thinking is. I’d say we’re eight to ten players away from a promotion push and I’m guessing we’ll be needing to replace CBT this window and possibly Leaburn the January after. Two big players for us even before the other team rebuild takes place. 
  • edited December 2023
    ross1 said:
    I don’t agree with this. A takeover is done when it’s done and not before. Agents, players and other clubs won’t be fussed in dealing with what might or might not be. Sadly for us the new ownership didn’t have a summer window and this January and next summer will inform us what their thinking is. I’d say we’re eight to ten players away from a promotion push and I’m guessing we’ll be needing to replace CBT this window and possibly Leaburn the January after. Two big players for us even before the other team rebuild takes place. 

Can't remember who but I am sure there was a club who changed hands and immediately announced 3-4 players within 24 hours so I am not convinced this is true.

I have a suspicion that we’ll all be quite satisfied by our January window but for this season its already way too late. Summer will also need significant investment and that’s when I think we should judge the owners and Appleton. 

This is promising, what have you heard please, as this is quite different to your previous pessimism.
  • ross1 said:
    Talking to players before you buy goes on all the time. You just cannot make it known publicly. They talk to the agents first, see if the player  would be interested, then go in with a bid later
    I think the poster meant is it allowable before you actually own the Club or actually employed by the Club.
    Not allowable but goes on, guaranteed