Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited December 2023
    ross1 said:
    Scott knew before the takeover that it was going through and had plenty of time to get player's ready to come in when it was done
    I don’t agree with this. A takeover is done when it’s done and not before. Agents, players and other clubs won’t be fussed in dealing with what might or might not be. Sadly for us the new ownership didn’t have a summer window and this January and next summer will inform us what their thinking is. I’d say we’re eight to ten players away from a promotion push and I’m guessing we’ll be needing to replace CBT this window and possibly Leaburn the January after. Two big players for us even before the other team rebuild takes place. 

Can't remember who but I am sure there was a club who changed hands and immediately announced 3-4 players within 24 hours so I am not convinced this is true.

I have a suspicion that we’ll all be quite satisfied by our January window but for this season its already way too late. Summer will also need significant investment and that’s when I think we should judge the owners and Appleton. 

This is promising, what have you heard please, as this is quite different to your previous pessimism.
    Not a complete stab in the dark or blind optimism. I have heard that there is a will to move things on and still have a go at top six. I think that’s gone personally and has been gone for some time but I think money will be spent and there will be some encouraging signings. Needs a repeat in the summer though assuming my info is correct. Let’s put it this way. I’m more encouraged by next season than this. 
  • edited December 2023
    IMO the moment Leaburn got injured the work to save the season became to great for a single January window. Need a new CB, CM and a striker. A lot to ask in a summer window, let alone a January window. Probably need 6 signings in January to cover the ones who will be returned to parents and the likely departure of CBT.

Have zero faith they will recruit the correct type of players needed. For example, both full backs; Edun and Watson neither of them have the height to help when defending set pieces. Charlton were always going to struggle in this area once Innis was released.
  • ross1 said:
    Scott knew before the takeover that it was going through and had plenty of time to get player's ready to come in when it was done
    I don’t agree with this. A takeover is done when it’s done and not before. Agents, players and other clubs won’t be fussed in dealing with what might or might not be. Sadly for us the new ownership didn’t have a summer window and this January and next summer will inform us what their thinking is. I’d say we’re eight to ten players away from a promotion push and I’m guessing we’ll be needing to replace CBT this window and possibly Leaburn the January after. Two big players for us even before the other team rebuild takes place. 

Can't remember who but I am sure there was a club who changed hands and immediately announced 3-4 players within 24 hours so I am not convinced this is true.

I have a suspicion that we’ll all be quite satisfied by our January window but for this season its already way too late. Summer will also need significant investment and that’s when I think we should judge the owners and Appleton. 

This is promising, what have you heard please, as this is quite different to your previous pessimism.
    Not a complete stab in the dark or blind optimism. I have heard that there is a will to move things on and still have a go at top six. I think that’s gone personally and has been gone for some time but I think money will be spent and there will be some encouraging signings. Needs a repeat in the summer though assuming my info is correct. Let’s put it this way. I’m more encouraged by next season than this. 
    I don't believe the current set up know how to recruit for a promotion push. 

Based on evidence of the last two windows.
  • edited December 2023
    All I will say is that it will all be too little too late.  But I don't expect you'll agree with me and, like always, I'll be told to he patient, give it time blah blah blah. 

But in May when we finish 16th you'll all be agreeing with me. 

And then the summer transfer window will open & the merry-go-round will start all over again. I'll be told that Ipswich have got it all wrong by spending all that money or that Pompey are just signing players for the sake of it and they should wait until late August when all the bargains appear. 

One season.....just for once....I would like to be proved wrong. 
    Whilst your posts are one dimensional, they hit the nail on the head regularly!
  • Yeah you’d probably get told by a club / agent to piss off if you tried.

“Hello it’s Andy Scott, if the takeover goes through four weeks from now I want to talk about your playe…”

Anyone worth anything would hang up the phone at that point.
    nonsense
  • Sponsored links:

• Melrose said:
    PopIcon said:
    First good bit of business was sacking Kirk, second would be sacking Appleton and picking the man for the job next season
    Ridiculous suggestion to sack Appleton. Start by sack the recruitment team.
    All day long.
    Sack the recruitment ream AND Appleton
    Another ridiculous comment 
    Moron.
  • edited December 2023
  • DOUCHER said:
    Yeah you’d probably get told by a club / agent to piss off if you tried.

“Hello it’s Andy Scott, if the takeover goes through four weeks from now I want to talk about your playe…”

Anyone worth anything would hang up the phone at that point.
    nonsense
    No it's not
  • Looking at Scott's recruitment to date it's hard to be optimistic.

I quite like Edun and he might be a high-energy midfielder but he sure as hell is not a left back.

And Watson is not a bad footballer either but no way is he Chris Solly reincarnated.

And you could probably pick an entire 11 from the duds, injured and misfits that Scott has brought in to date, most of whom I have already forgotten.  
  • edited December 2023
    It's taken me ages to admit it but I think we've been stitched up again.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    RedRobin said:
    Anyone wanting or thinking that Dobson will sign a new deal needs to think again. Interesting comment made by a senior figure in the Orient director lounge after the game around the players who have been here for a couple of years, that includes Dobson, and a change of culture is needed. 

I’ll believe it when I see it but I genuinely don't think the club want to keep Dobson so he will be off. Offers have been made but not a huge desire from the club to pay what he wants. 
    Hoping to offload a few others but won’t be solved in January but agreed a reset is needed and that doesn’t include sacking the manager. 
    I think this is right, he is a decent player, nice bloke and plays with his heart.. But not the quality to get out of this division. 
    I agree. Seems a good guy. Works hard. But is a very limited footballer. But after two years of mid table finishes, I struggle to feel an attachment to any of the players. 

I don’t see Dobbo signing for a championship side either. I imagine Wrexham will come back in for him, and I’d let him go. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We need experience through the spine of the team. New GK, CB, CM and Striker to come in as first team starters.

Will we get them, probably not!
  • edited December 2023
    There will be CB most likey from WBA unless there other CB gets called up for international games in Jan .. CM and Number 10 , Winger ( althrough I think we need two this is the most important position to sort out ) and striker likey to be the the one we tired to sign in summer ? more important Aneke, Camara Taylor and McGrandles all returning early Jan 
    What striker is that?
  • We were told in the summer that we weren’t going in for another left back because we felt Thomas was good enough cover for Edun. We’re at the point now where we could sign almost any left back in the world and I would question if Edun was good enough cover for him. The most disappointed I’ve been in a signing in a while. I’m hopeful he’s secretly the best midfielder ever because whatever he’s doing at left back isn’t it. 
    Think you could say the same about Tennai Watson. Both new full backs have failed to impress.
    ? Edun and Watson are both excellent young players .. Watson really has settled into the role , the problem not the full backs it’s the wide players in front of them not supporting or doing their defensive duties …. 
    I think all full backs in our squad would suit 352 better than 433 (I.e they are more wing backs than full backs).

None of them are that strong defensively (I.e you never see them tackle like Solly, Adam Matthews etc) and they often lose their man (as Watson did for the Burton equaliser last wk).

A big part of our problems this year is Appleton seemingly preferring a different formation to what Scott has recruited for & us constantly playing a number of players (half the team!) in different positions to their preferred position e.g. May, Kanu, Fraser, Edun, Watson & Chem.
  • Looking at Scott's recruitment to date it's hard to be optimistic.

I quite like Edun and he might be a high-energy midfielder but he sure as hell is not a left back.

And Watson is not a bad footballer either but no way is he Chris Solly reincarnated.

And you could probably pick an entire 11 from the duds, injured and misfits that Scott has brought in to date, most of whom I have already forgotten.  
    Personally I think he's bang average and if we are 'building for the future', he is in no way shape or form good enough for the league above. 
  • edited December 2023
    RedRobin said:
    Anyone wanting or thinking that Dobson will sign a new deal needs to think again. Interesting comment made by a senior figure in the Orient director lounge after the game around the players who have been here for a couple of years, that includes Dobson, and a change of culture is needed. 

I’ll believe it when I see it but I genuinely don't think the club want to keep Dobson so he will be off. Offers have been made but not a huge desire from the club to pay what he wants. 
    Hoping to offload a few others but won’t be solved in January but agreed a reset is needed and that doesn’t include sacking the manager. 
     Well I totally agree with that. And if those already on board don't want to go with it they clearly need to disappear.
    I've thought for a long while than a few transfer tweaks and a change of manager isn't going to cut it.
    The very fabric of the club is completely distorted.
    It will take a huge financial commitment, but I honestly believe it's what is needed.

Is Appleton the type to lead such a huge project? I'm not so sure 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Looking at Scott's recruitment to date it's hard to be optimistic.

Personally I think he's bang average and if we are 'building for the future', he is in no way shape or form good enough for the league above. 
    I don't necessarily disagree but was trying to be kind to someone who is not our worst player by some margin, while focusing my criticism on Scott.

At least Edun runs about a  bit and looks like he is half interested. That can get you nominated for POTY these days. But he is not as good as Purrington at LB and Purrington left a long time ago and many didn't rate him that highly when he was here and scoring quite a lot too.  That is down to recruitment. 

Edun, Watson (and Hector) might all look reasonable in a back five but we then recruit a manager who never plays that system. It's just inept. 

This bloke Scott gets off Scott free (see what I did there) while Holden/Appleton/next loser gets the stick from us. 
  • edited December 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    All I will say is that it will all be too little too late.  But I don't expect you'll agree with me and, like always, I'll be told to he patient, give it time blah blah blah. 

But in May when we finish 16th you'll all be agreeing with me. 

And then the summer transfer window will open & the merry-go-round will start all over again. I'll be told that Ipswich have got it all wrong by spending all that money or that Pompey are just signing players for the sake of it and they should wait until late August when all the bargains appear. 

One season.....just for once....I would like to be proved wrong. 
    It’s not all about you. 
    Says the man who lives off his grandfathers name.
    Yeah, but the only time I mention him is when I joke about how I’m ‘always banging on about him’, whereas you seem to bang on about how much cleverer you are than the rest of us after every match, even when everyone else has being saying exactly the same as you. 
    You don’t need to be calling us out all the time, even if sometimes there might be occasional disagreements about what’s wrong with the club. It just gets a bit annoying is all. And yes, you’re right quite often, but no need to keep reminding us. 
  • Mrkinski said:
    There will be CB most likey from WBA unless there other CB gets called up for international games in Jan .. CM and Number 10 , Winger ( althrough I think we need two this is the most important position to sort out ) and striker likey to be the the one we tired to sign in summer ? more important Aneke, Camara Taylor and McGrandles all returning early Jan 
    What striker is that?
    We were linked with Kion Etete, Sam Nombe and Cosgrove…as Nombe and Cosgrove both moved elsewhere, I think it’s safe to assume this guy is talking rubbish again. 
  • Mrkinski said:
    What striker is that?
    We were linked with Kion Etete, Sam Nombe and Cosgrove…as Nombe and Cosgrove both moved elsewhere, I think it’s safe to assume this guy is talking rubbish again. 
    Think he means Ladapo….who I could see moving on if/when Ipswich buy a new striker to help them make it to the Prem.
  • A CB, a central attacking midfielder, a winger and two strikers.