Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited December 2023
    First good bit of business was sacking Kirk, second would be sacking Appleton and picking the man for the job next season
    His record is nowhere near bad enough to warrant the sack. We’ve lost just two of our last 16 league games since Appleton took over.

It’s massively frustrating that we keep throwing away leads and ending up with draws but I can’t see Scott sacking a guy who has delivered two 7 game unbeaten runs in his first 16 games.

Also not convinced another change of manager will make a difference. We’ve tried that many times and it hasn’t worked….we keep ending up in mid table. 

We need better players to join in Jan. Simple as that.
    23 points from 15 isn’t that impressive. Especially when you look at who we’ve actually beaten, other than Wigan it is just home wins against teams at the bottom and we can’t even do that any more 

We definitely need better players, that’s obvious. Maybe with better players Appleton will turn draws into wins, we shall see 
  • redbuttle said:
    First good bit of business was sacking Kirk, second would be sacking Appleton and picking the man for the job next season
    Yes another manager recruited to be sacked in 6 months time.
    He's pants m8, seen more emotion from a corn on the cob

NabySarr said:
    Michael Duff is available, Ryan Lowe could be available soon. So many better managers available but we will probably waste a year on Appleton and still be here next year 
    Naby we are finally reading from the same script, let the negativity embrace you, this bloke is pants. 
  • First good bit of business was sacking Kirk, second would be sacking Appleton and picking the man for the job next season
    Ridiculous.
  • First good bit of business was sacking Kirk, second would be sacking Appleton and picking the man for the job next season
    His record is nowhere near bad enough to warrant the sack. We’ve lost just two of our last 16 league games since Appleton took over.

It’s massively frustrating that we keep throwing away leads and ending up with draws but I can’t see Scott sacking a guy who has delivered two 7 game unbeaten runs in his first 16 games.

Also not convinced another change of manager will make a difference. We’ve tried that many times and it hasn’t worked….we keep ending up in mid table. 

10 draws mate in around 20 games managed, blokes never achieved at this level. 

Losing a play off final doesn't cut it for me. Jack Ross did that for Sunderland and he was pants 
  • redbuttle said:

NabySarr said:
    Michael Duff is available, Ryan Lowe could be available soon. So many better managers available but we will probably waste a year on Appleton and still be here next year 
    Naby we are finally reading from the same script, let the negativity embrace you, this bloke is pants. 
    Just like Holden was pants and Garner before him? With this logic the next manager will be pants too. 
  • redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:

NabySarr said:
    Just like Holden was pants and Garner before him? With this logic the next manager will be pants too. 
    Holden was pants, Jacko wasn't ready, Adkins is a dinosaur, Garner is a system merchant etc. 

I'm sorry but he's not a good manager, just go and look at his record. Done something about 9 years ago in league 2, that's it. 
    Who you advocating for? Championship managers who aren't doing very well? 
  • I’m in agreement that MA isn’t a great manager nor is he one to be a long term success but sadly being now an average L1 side who can we get in. Even maybe a slightly better up and coming manager or steady Eddie ain’t gonna get us out the league with this current team/squad. Tell me now would Pep get us out this league. Unless given some money and transfer windows then no chance he does. So the bigger issue for me isn’t MA it’s the squad. The lack of depth, competition, bite, nastiness, desire. We have no more than 5/6 players I’d want to keep others may have there moments n look pretty on the eye at times but off f all over a long term period to see games out
  • Sponsored links:

Well said. I'm not an Appleton fan and was against his appointment from day 1, but what's the point in sacking him.

he has stopped the rot, we aren't losing although annoyingly throwing away leads. He deserves a couple of transfer windows to show what he can do with players that he signed

Nailed it, the voice of sense.
  • fenaddick said:
    Yeah I'm not sure MA is necessarily the right manager but the issue is larger than him, it's the squad
    Behind it all, the recruitment team.
  • edited December 2023
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:

NabySarr said:
    Holden was pants, Jacko wasn't ready, Adkins is a dinosaur, Garner is a system merchant etc. 

I'm sorry but he's not a good manager, just go and look at his record. Done something about 9 years ago in league 2, that's it. 
    To be honest I don't know who you expect would take the managers job if it was offered. We are mid table league one..
  • NabySarr said:

23 points from 15 isn't that impressive. Especially when you look at who we’ve actually beaten, other than Wigan it is just home wins against teams at the bottom and we can’t even do that any more 

We definitely need better players, that’s obvious. Maybe with better players Appleton will turn draws into wins, we shall see 
    But laughable to suggest it's bad enough to warrant sacking him now given our position when he arrived! 

I can't say I have great faith he'll lead us out of the wilderness of L1 and into the Championship , but he needs more time and, whilst we're not losing regularly with our inexperienced squad, I expect he'll get it. That said, I somehow doubt he'll still be in the man at the helm a year from now, but if he is, it will be because much will have improved playing squad wise and we'll be genuine promotion contenders.

10 draws mate in around 20 games managed, blokes never achieved at this level. 

Losing a play off final doesn't cut it for me. Jack Ross did that for Sunderland and he was pants 
    IIRC, his issue with Lincoln as well was that he drew too many games 
  • The last few games where we have thrown points away are completely demoralising  that can't be argued with. However, as I've said before, if we sack MA, who do those people calling for his head expect to come in? We are a mid-table League One club that, recenltly, seem to sack managers every 6 months! Hardly going to have a queue of top quality managers lining up are we! Let's give MA this transfer window to get his type of player in, if it works then happy days, if it doesn't then he'll be gone, but changing again now is the wrong move.
    Let's see, after all the talk from Scott, whether the Owners splash the cash, no one on here, or in our fanbase knows what's going to happen until January comes, we have those saying they won't, others saying they've heard they will, as for me I don't know, but we only have 10 days to wait! However MA needs to get some backbone into what we currently have and get 3 wins, starting at Orient on Boxing Day!

• Sponsored links:

• Lads look, I'm a few pints deep and I'm emotional

Bring back Bowyer, Powell or Jacko. Sorry 
    No thanks … especially Powell 
  • The last few games where we have thrown points away are completely demoralising  that can't be argued with. However, as I've said before, if we sack MA, who do those people calling for his head expect to come in? We are a mid-table League One club that, recenltly, seem to sack managers every 6 months! Hardly going to have a queue of top quality managers lining up are we! Let's give MA this transfer window to get his type of player in, if it works then happy days, if it doesn't then he'll be gone, but changing again now is the wrong move.
    Let's see, after all the talk from Scott, whether the Owners splash the cash, no one on here, or in our fanbase knows what's going to happen until January comes, we have those saying they won't, others saying they've heard they will, as for me I don't know, but we only have 10 days to wait! However MA needs to get some backbone into what we currently have and get 3 wins, starting at Orient on Boxing Day!

We didn’t throw points away v Cambridge that was the ref not our players 
    Are you having a laugh? Marking from the corner non-existent, we should've scored more than 2 and didn't, but at the end we were hanging on!! FFS

• DA9 said:
    Talking to a pal yesterday at the game, whose been doing some work with the club the last few weeks, couple of very well known club employees told him money is being spent in January and the owners are determined to give it a push for the play offs.
    Dont shoot the messenger
    Just seems bizarre that we didn’t use this in the summer if the money is there? Now it’s too late 
  • NabySarr said:
    DA9 said:
    Talking to a pal yesterday at the game, whose been doing some work with the club the last few weeks, couple of very well known club employees told him money is being spent in January and the owners are determined to give it a push for the play offs.
    Dont shoot the messenger
    Just seems bizarre that we didn’t use this in the summer if the money is there? Now it’s too late 
    Agree with this, as I think mendez said on Charlton live, the owners knew they would be in charge so why was there no plan in place for transfers in the summer. 
  • edited December 2023
    The last few games where we have thrown points away are completely demoralising  that can't be argued with. However, as I've said before, if we sack MA, who do those people calling for his head expect to come in? We are a mid-table League One club that, recenltly, seem to sack managers every 6 months! Hardly going to have a queue of top quality managers lining up are we! Let's give MA this transfer window to get his type of player in, if it works then happy days, if it doesn't then he'll be gone, but changing again now is the wrong move.

We didn’t throw points away v Cambridge that was the ref not our players 
    For the love of God ........ can't we do something about this ....... Wally?
  • NabySarr said:
    I expect we’ll get another unknown like Garner or Holden next, such is the pattern
  • I think this thread has drifted a mile offshore. Appleton isn’t getting the sack until next season is as bad as this. Any transfer news ?
  • Appleton is what a lot were expecting - an average L1 manager. 
  • And we kind of accepted mediocrity when we took him on.