Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Carlisle signed Luke Armstrong from Harrogate this week who wouldn't have been especially cheap.

Only really us , Bristol Rovers (again) and Wigan I could see that aren't promotion rivals who would spend the kind of fee for JCH. 
  • fenaddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    Peterborough paper says that the 2 league 1 clubs in for JCH are not promotion rivals. That makes me think we are definitely one of them as there aren’t really any other teams outside the top 7 that would pay £300k and that kind of wages for a player 
    Carlisle & Wigan? I know Carlisle have already bought a striker but seems like their owners are ready to spend 
    So JCH is upset that Peterborough will not let him leave and he feels he has earned a big move, only to rock up at relegation zone Carlisle. I can't see that one happening 
  • edited December 2023
    Portsmouth and Derby will be the top two this year, so we could be promotion rivals to Peterborough when we get in the playoffs...🙄🤔
  • fenaddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    Peterborough paper says that the 2 league 1 clubs in for JCH are not promotion rivals. That makes me think we are definitely one of them as there aren’t really any other teams outside the top 7 that would pay £300k and that kind of wages for a player 
    Carlisle & Wigan? I know Carlisle have already bought a striker but seems like their owners are ready to spend 
    So JCH is upset that Peterborough will not let him leave and he feels he has earned a big move, only to rock up at relegation zone Carlisle. I can't see that one happening 
    didn’t say he’d sign, just speculating on who might have placed a bid 
  • sralan said:
    Would Caulker just be filling a gap🤔
    He not at the club 
  • ValleyBen said:
    JCH is only 29 too, that is really not over the hill other then in the modern football obsession with only signing players who you can sell on, sometimes it is okay to just buy a player who improves your chances of success, like for example Alfie May.

Harry Kane is 30. There’s a lot of nonsense spoken about ages of players worth or not worth signing. Yes getting someone who has a resale value is relevant but is usually also a bit of a punt. What Charlton needs more than anything is a team that can get them into The Championship.  We missed the boat on Kane though, mores the pity. 
  • Whatever happens we should be looking at signing players from Grimsby on the basis that the three players we did sign turned out to be club legends.
    Joking of course I have no idea how Grimsby are doing these days.
  • ValleyBen said:
    JCH is only 29 too, that is really not over the hill other then in the modern football obsession with only signing players who you can sell on, sometimes it is okay to just buy a player who improves your chances of success, like for example Alfie May.

Harry Kane is 30. There’s a lot of nonsense spoken about ages of players worth or not worth signing. Yes getting someone who has a resale value is relevant but is usually also a bit of a punt. What Charlton needs more than anything is a team that can get them into The Championship.  We missed the boat on Kane though, mores the pity. 
    That's how I see it. 

Top of my head, players we signed with decent reputations and sell on value in league 1: Ajose, Ben Reeves, Fraser, Kirk, Jaiyesimi. None of them performed and we will end up at a loss when they've all finally departed when it's done.

Ricky Holmes and Alfie May both signed at an older age and with the view of being impact players. Ricky we actually even got a fee for and he had a major impact here. 

I am of the firm belief that in league 1, you don't build teams, you buy them. You don't have time to build a team of promising young talents as when they show a glimpse of potential, the sharks come circling. 

• Linked with midfielder Wells-Harrison from Palace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Turns 20 in February. Unless he's expected to have a big impact like JRS he doesn’t sound like what we need.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/midfielder/jack-wells-morrison/

Jack Wells-Morrisonis a Palace fan and born and bred south Londoner. He is a multi-faceted midfielder who is just as comfortable sitting deep as he is in an attacking role.

• Before we splash out on a striker, we need to address the amount of goals we are conceding,and that means a new centre back,capable of winning the ball in the air from set pieces and frightening opposition forwards.
  • Didn’t JCH nearly move back to Bristol Rovers in the summer and that was where he wanted to go? Wouldn’t be surprised if he went there in Jan. 
  • Before we splash out on a striker, we need to address the amount of goals we are conceding,and that means a new centre back,capable of winning the ball in the air from set pieces and frightening opposition forwards.
    We need both, a physical striker who can hold up the ball will take pressure off our defence. I also hope we’re looking to improve central midfield to help us defensively too.
  • Valley11 said:
    Didn’t JCH nearly move back to Bristol Rovers in the summer and that was where he wanted to go? Wouldn’t be surprised if he went there in Jan. 
    Thought Barry Fry said the other day that Rovers were not interested now.
  • For me it should not be do we sign a striker, combative midfielder or CB it should be aiming to sign all three. 
    Ah cool, the 'we're conceding goals, must be all the centre-backs' faults' line again. Our priorities are a forward (either a physical striker or a winger, preferably both) and a central midfielder with an engine (unless Taylor/McGrandles are back). 
  • Not sure I’d want JCH. Wrong age, no resale value, on his way down. Think we can do better.
    If he helped us get promoted within a 2/3 year deal then I'm okay with it. We can't keep buying young, inexperienced players. Alfie May is 30 and in the form of his life. 

They'll be players who are proven who we can get but priority is getting out this league. Plus he's a nasty shit and we aint got many of them! 
    May was different, as we were step up for him. He seems the "give 100% whoever I'm playing for" type anyway, but for him we were an exciting move to the next level.

JCH wanted a move to the next level in the summer, and it never happened. Would he be remotivated by a sideways move, to a club, bigger on paper, but actually worse in recent years than Peterborough have been?
  • If we could come out of the window still with Dobbo and CBT at the club but have added a quality CB, another midfield option and a striker who can partner May if needed then I'd be happy. 

Winger would be a bonus extra piece so we don't need to throw Rylah in. 
  • Put a decent promotion bonus in the contract offer to JCH, problem solved. 

Have no issue with players seeing it as a job if they perform well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Didn’t JCH nearly move back to Bristol Rovers in the summer and that was where he wanted to go? Wouldn’t be surprised if he went there in Jan. 
    New manager there now. Dont think they are still interested 
  • edited December 2023
  • sralan said:
    Would Caulker just be filling a gap🤔
    He not at the club 
    Whooshed?
  • Scoham said:
    Turns 20 in February. Unless he's expected to have a big impact like JRS he doesn’t sound like what we need.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/midfielder/jack-wells-morrison/

Jack Wells-Morrisonis a Palace fan and born and bred south Londoner. He is a multi-faceted midfielder who is just as comfortable sitting deep as he is in an attacking role.

Definitely not to us though according to Cawley latest podcast
  • Who was the bloke warming up the defenders today ? 
  • Lee Gregory not getting In Wednesday side lately good experienced striker