Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Not for me I think it would be a case of money could be spent better elsewhere 
  • JCH just feels like a Derby signing 
  • The last signing we got from Peterborough was supposedly a top league 1 player and that turned out well didn't it!
  • Not sure I’d want JCH. Wrong age, no resale value, on his way down. Think we can do better.
    If he helped us get promoted within a 2/3 year deal then I'm okay with it. We can't keep buying young, inexperienced players. Alfie May is 30 and in the form of his life. 

They'll be players who are proven who we can get but priority is getting out this league. Plus he's a nasty shit and we aint got many of them! 
  • I think you need to look at giving you something you are missing, and Ladapo fits that bill better than JCH.
  • seth plum said:
    Making automatic promotion is still mathematically possible.
    I am judging this Methven regime by results, and they’re not good enough for automatic promotion as it stands.
    We have to make up around a dozen lost points, which means winning every home game, and six of our away games and drawing the rest.
    Results like that lead to a positive judgement from me.
    If we end up on 90 points it would lead to a positive judgement from everyone (we won't).
  • Would love JCH, best forwards in the league for next season, larvely.

JCH would be playing for Peterborough if he was on a longer contract, they've basically prepared for life without him and it's paid off.

One man's 'trash' is another man's treasure. He would completely transform us. 
    Maybe. But I think a really high quality midfielder would transform us more. 
  • Rumours on ittv that we have a bid in for a league 1 striker 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think JCH does have a point to prove. He’s done well at Peterborough and needs to show he can do it elsewhere. I doubt he’s going to rock up somewhere and want to get slated as a flop. At our level he’s proved he can be one of the best strikers and I’m sure he’ll want to show that. I can understand his frustration at Peterborough and an injury to him now could scupper what’s left of his career. Like many other players in a similar position he’s taken his foot off the gas. As long as we don’t pay more than £300 - £400k I think he’d be a worthwhile signing. People saying we can do better but I’d like to know who ?
  • Adahme is on loan at Cambridge from Ipswich. Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t see us signing him permanently from them. They’d wait until the summer and see what they can get if he continues his form. I’d also rather sign Ladapo from Ipswich to partner May right now.
  • edited December 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Would love JCH, best forwards in the league for next season, larvely.

JCH would be playing for Peterborough if he was on a longer contract, they've basically prepared for life without him and it's paid off.

They're all so important in the positions that we need that it's hard to say which is most important imho.

A proper keeper will instill confidence in the players infront of him and earn us important points.

Another centre back will ensure we keep more clean sheets and elevate the other defenders around him if it's the right character.

A midfield partner as important as Dobson will mean the defense have less to worry about and not mean our attackers like May have to track back 

And a proper target/hold up man will allow us to dictate the pace of the game at a better rate.

They're all really important that we can't afford on even one being missed out on. Mentally I have accepted we are going to be a league 1 team again next season, so I just want the club to bring in the right players now so we can build for something next season, and not start 15 points or so behind next time.

All the patchwork signings of recent seasons won't cut it.
  • From what I understand JCH is a bit of a prick off the field and post his time with Rovers has evolved into a bit of a diva, saying that if he becomes a bagsman for us and delivers the good I am willing to overlook.... 
  • edited December 2023
    Our fanbase seems all over the place at the moment. We've got some saying they expect absolutely nothing from this window, and others saying they'd happily pass up JCH, one of the best strikers in this league over the past 5 years. Expectations couldn't be further apart. 
  • Screw resale value, get us out of this league, JCH would be a bargain signing with him soon to be a free agent. 
  • edited December 2023
    Chunes said:
    Our fanbase seems all over the place at the moment. We've got some saying they expect absolutely nothing from this window, and others saying they'd happily pass up JCH, one of the best strikers in this league over the past 5 years. Expectations couldn't be further apart. 
    I'm worried with JCH that his productivity has taken such a nosedive. There is a good explanation for it (his failed move at the end of last window) so it's perhaps not as concerning as it might've been and a change of scene might get him fired up again. On the other hand, he could be the next L1 striker to fall off a cliff after Jayden Stockley and like Fleetwood, we end up with a dud.

If we could get him for a similar fee that was paid for May and he's willing to take a 2.5 year deal on a reasonable wage, I'd hope we would be interested. At that point, it becomes a gamble (of sorts) worth taking.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2023
    From what I've read, he desperately wanted to leave in the summer and they held out for higher bids. He felt like he'd earned the move and they held him back. Before that, the guy has smashed this league. Of course every signing is a risk. The sure bets turn into duds, the frees from Tranmere turn into worldies. Nobody knows for sure. But it just seems crazy that we've got some fans saying we'll only be getting another loan (ala Tedic) and others saying they wouldn't want Clarke-Harris. 
  • ValleyBen said:
    Screw resale value, get us out of this league, JCH would be a bargain signing with him soon to be a free agent. 
    Agree with you over screw resale value.
    Its been hard enough to find fit and willing players that can play for us as it is. 
    If you listen to Appleton today I think he is say towards end of January he will get the players but not in the first week or two.
    We have a hard enough program over Christmas . Then the whole of February is even harder with Derby twice, Bolton, Portsmouth, Lincoln and Reading.

Best of luck Mr Appleton we are all going to need it.

• Chunes said:
    I'm worried with JCH that his productivity has taken such a nosedive. There is a good explanation for it (his failed move at the end of last window) so it's perhaps not as concerning as it might've been and a change of scene might get him fired up again. On the other hand, he could be the next L1 striker to fall off a cliff after Jayden Stockley and like Fleetwood, we end up with a dud.

If we could get him for a similar fee that was paid for May and he's willing to take a 2.5 year deal on a reasonable wage, I'd hope we would be interested. At that point, it becomes a gamble (of sorts) worth taking.
    I'd say JCH and Stockley are completely incomparable, Stockley never really proved himself at this level other than first (very impressive stint) with us. When he became a permanent contract he never hit that form and you could say his best spell was at League 2 level with Exeter.

JCH has been one of the best forwards in this league on the otherhand, for around the 3-4 seasons he's played in it and even got a decent goal return in the championship. Completely different level of player imo and not as much of a gamble. As you say though, it would have to be like May and be a 2 year option with an extension from us if we want it. Otherwise we could be stuck if it doesn't pay off.

ValleyBen said:
    Screw resale value, get us out of this league, JCH would be a bargain signing with him soon to be a free agent. 
    Agree with you over screw resale value.
    Its been hard enough to find fit and willing players that can play for us as it is. 
    If you listen to Appleton today I think he is say towards end of January he will get the players but not in the first week or two.
    We have a hard enough program over Christmas . Then the whole of February is even harder with Derby twice, Bolton, Portsmouth, Lincoln and Reading.

Best of luck Mr Appleton we are all going to need it.

Just more odd comments by the men in charge. Surely if you know we are desperate for bodies, you have your targets ready for as soon as this window opens and have plans in place now. Especially with how many fixtures there will be. If we get to the end of the window and haven't done our business, it really is the same old
  • Anyone rate Ali Al-Hamadi, who is in double figures for Wimbledon and at 21, his career appears to be on the up over the last 12 months ? 
    Seems a mobile striker with pace.
  • Personally I can’t see us signing JCH I am also not sure he is the right personality for our club as well. But if we are going to pay a pretty big fee that is a positive for the ambition of the club
  • Anyone rate Ali Al-Hamadi, who is in double figures for Wimbledon and at 21, his career appears to be on the up over the last 12 months ? 
    Seems a mobile striker with pace.
    He would cost at least £2m, no chance we go for him 
  • Peterborough paper says that the 2 league 1 clubs in for JCH are not promotion rivals. That makes me think we are definitely one of them as there aren’t really any other teams outside the top 7 that would pay £300k and that kind of wages for a player 
  • edited December 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Would love JCH, best forwards in the league for next season, larvely.

They're all so important in the positions that we need that it's hard to say which is most important imho.

A proper keeper will instill confidence in the players infront of him and earn us important points.

Another centre back will ensure we keep more clean sheets and elevate the other defenders around him if it's the right character.

A midfield partner as important as Dobson will mean the defense have less to worry about and not mean our attackers like May have to track back 

And a proper target/hold up man will allow us to dictate the pace of the game at a better rate.

They're all really important that we can't afford on even one being missed out on. Mentally I have accepted we are going to be a league 1 team again next season, so I just want the club to bring in the right players now so we can build for something next season, and not start 15 points or so behind next time.

All the patchwork signings of recent seasons won't cut it.
    this sums it up well although i'd put the striker as top of the order of priority on the basis you can write chucks and miles off and keeper at the bottom of the list . 
  • NabySarr said:
    Peterborough paper says that the 2 league 1 clubs in for JCH are not promotion rivals. That makes me think we are definitely one of them as there aren’t really any other teams outside the top 7 that would pay £300k and that kind of wages for a player 
    Carlisle & Wigan? I know Carlisle have already bought a striker but seems like their owners are ready to spend