Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Peterborough on the whole seem decent at moving on their players at the right time for them. So it’s not beyond the realms, but it’s not necessarily in an area I think we need immediately addresses 
    You don’t think a big centre forward is an area that needs addressing ? 
  • edited December 2023
    DOUCHER said:
    Peterborough on the whole seem decent at moving on their players at the right time for them. So it’s not beyond the realms, but it’s not necessarily in an area I think we need immediately addresses 
    I said ‘immediately’, and not who I would spending a large chunk of whatever budget we have which I imagine JCH would be. 

We all know where the issues in the team are, and have been for 3 out of the last 4 seasons. And it’s not the amount of goals we score. 
  • Would love JCH, best forwards in the league for next season, larvely.

JCH would be playing for Peterborough if he was on a longer contract, they've basically prepared for life without him and it's paid off.

One man's 'trash' is another man's treasure. He would completely transform us. 
  • JCH 12-18 months ago I would have snapped your hand off, maybe even in the summer.

He's been crap this year so far though so it would be typical of us to sign him just as his purple patch ends and he becomes a lazy, stroppy chancer that doesn't score goal
  • sam3110 said:
    JCH 12-18 months ago I would have snapped your hand off, maybe even in the summer.

He's been crap this year so far though so it would be typical of us to sign him just as his purple patch ends and he becomes a lazy, stroppy chancer that doesn't score goal
    Don't worry. He's not coming.
  • think it all depends on who is available, we clearly need someone up top but it might be we have to settle for the best of a bad bunch. in that scenario i’d rather a loan for 6 months than pay a fee for someone and be stuck with them for years 
  • edited December 2023
    JCH has obviously had enough at Peterborough and wants out. Hopefully he is hungry and angry. On his day he's one of the best CFs in the league and can absolutely play the lone role. On the flip side, clearly he's downed tools a bit there.
  • redbuttle said:
    sam3110 said:
    JCH 12-18 months ago I would have snapped your hand off, maybe even in the summer.

Wouldn't count on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2023
    DOUCHER said:
    Peterborough on the whole seem decent at moving on their players at the right time for them. So it’s not beyond the realms, but it’s not necessarily in an area I think we need immediately addresses 
    I said ‘immediately’, and not who I would spending a large chunk of whatever budget we have which I imagine JCH would be. 

We all know where the issues in the team are, and have been for 3 out of the last 4 seasons. And it’s not the amount of goals we score. 
    Game of opinions but I’d say our points  haul when chucks and miles are available compared to when they aren’t is like night and day this season 
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Game of opinions but I’d say our points  haul when chucks and miles are available compared to when they aren’t is like night and day this season 
    Indeed, and I’m sure the stats are likely out there that will prove or disprove that otherwise. 

But for me we have only failed to score in 3 games this season, which is top 6 for that stat yet we are 21st for clean sheets.

Pompey who are top have only scored 4 more goals then us, but have kept 8 more clean sheets. 

This is where our issue has been the last two years, and is again this year. Giving away cheap goals has a massive habit of changing the flow of the game and putting the opposition on the front foot - and we are masters at doing that. 

I find it funny that once again we go into another transfer window and it feels like the big talk will likely be around strikers etc - when if it was me I’d be using as much as the budget as possible to sort out our defensive frailties (which would include getting a better keeper as well).
    The problem is mate we need improvement all over the pitch, so if a player comes up to improve us we take it imo. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    JCH does score at this level but I just can't see the fee Posh will want being something we'd be willing to pay. Also think he'd be hard work to deal with given by how he's looked for Posh this season. 

If we're going to spend good money on a striker I'd rather go for Ladapo, Ipswich heavily linked with Adam Stansfield amongst a few other strikers to try and get them over the line and promoted. 
    Why not both? They're probably both avaliable, we need a good squad. 

As it stands if May gets injured, we are finished. If we had two other strikers we wouldn't be concerned. Plenty of football to be played and with 5 subs we would have some serious firepower to rotate with. 

We can expect Leaburn to probably leave in the summer and Aneke always causes us issues so we can't rely on him. Would allow Dan Kanu an actual proper loan to a league 2 side. 

It's very fifa/football manager but we should have the budget to do it
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Indeed, and I’m sure the stats are likely out there that will prove or disprove that otherwise. 

But for me we have only failed to score in 3 games this season, which is top 6 for that stat yet we are 21st for clean sheets.

Pompey who are top have only scored 4 more goals then us, but have kept 8 more clean sheets. 

This is where our issue has been the last two years, and is again this year. Giving away cheap goals has a massive habit of changing the flow of the game and putting the opposition on the front foot - and we are masters at doing that. 

I find it funny that once again we go into another transfer window and it feels like the big talk will likely be around strikers etc - when if it was me I’d be using as much as the budget as possible to sort out our defensive frailties (which would include getting a better keeper as well).
    The problem is mate we need improvement all over the pitch, so if a player comes up to improve us we take it imo. 
    Again where as I agree we need improvement across the team I just don’t think it’s as simple as that.

We are going to have a budget, and let’s say for the sake of this argument it is 2 million. I’d rather we spent 75% of that improving our defensive side of the game, then say 50%, because we spent the other 50% getting in a very expensive player in an area which is not a key issue for us. 

• JCH is another name floating around
    Long as it's not JFH...🙄
  • redbuttle said:
    sam3110 said:

Wouldn't count on it.
    I would
  • Sponsored links:

• Peterborough want to sell JCH and buy Al-Hamadi from Wimbledon.

Logical conclusion: we should be going after Al-Hamadi.
    £1.5 million price tag, being heavily linked with Leeds and watched by Sunderland, Hull and a host of championship clubs. 

I'd be amazed if we pay that much for a league 2 striker and suspect he will be a gamble for a championship side. I don't see him going to Peterborough. Normally screams of a Peterborough signing but I think he has too many suitors, they normally unearth hidden gems of sorts 
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Again where as I agree we need improvement across the team I just don’t think it’s as simple as that.

We are going to have a budget, and let’s say for the sake of this argument it is 2 million. I’d rather we spent 75% of that improving our defensive side of the game, then say 50%, because we spent the other 50% getting in a very expensive player in an area which is not a key issue for us. 

Oh if that was the case then you are absolutely spot on.  

New Keeper, new left back and left sided centre back minimum. 

I am always concerned though that if we lose May our season is finished that's all. We need at least two top strikers for this level imo.

• Why are people acting like Peterborough are going to want loads for Clarke-Harris. They agreed to sell him in the summer for a rumoured 800k. Since then he’s barely played and has 6 months left on his contract. 

I reckon we can probably get him for 300-400k at most, only issue is we need someone early and Peterborough are probably unlikely to let us sign him before we play them. His wages are high but he is worth it at this level.

My only question would be his character/motivation. Seems like a bit of a knob and I’m not sure how motivated he will be for firing us out of league 1. He clearly wanted out of Peterborough for a big money move to the championship which hasn’t happened. If he’s got a “I’ll prove them all wrong” attitude then great let’s sign him

3-5-2 with May and JCH up front will mean we don’t lose out on goals after losing CBT, in fact we will probably score more 
  • NabySarr said:

Why are people acting like Peterborough are going to want loads for Clarke-Harris. They agreed to sell him in the summer for a rumoured 800k. Since then he’s barely played and has 6 months left on his contract. 

I reckon we can probably get him for 300-400k at most, only issue is we need someone early and Peterborough are probably unlikely to let us sign him before we play them. His wages are high but he is worth it at this level.

My only question would be his character/motivation. Seems like a bit of a knob and I’m not sure how motivated he will be for firing us out of league 1. He clearly wanted out of Peterborough for a big money move to the championship which hasn’t happened. If he’s got a “I’ll prove them all wrong” attitude then great let’s sign him

3-5-2 with May and JCH up front will mean we don’t lose out on goals after losing CBT, in fact we will probably score more 
    Let's see shall we. 
  • Any thoughts on whether we already have players lined up to sign when the window opens?

Bearing in mind the age old standard, ‘we need to do our business early’?
  • edited December 2023
    shirty5 said:
    I'm ambivalent.
    I hope we keep hold of them until the end of the season, because I think if we lose both in January it could destabilise us too much.
    They are both probably vying for second place in POTY behind May.
    Beyond that I don't give a shit if they go in the summer.

I would be disappointed if both George and Corey leave in the summer and take advantage of the Bosman ruling but would understand why, if no intent is shown to get some life, ambition and positivity into this football club. Bizarrely I still think Andy Scott is a good football man but he has a big task to kick start this club out of the mid table ceiling we are stuck in.
  • edited December 2023
    Chunes said:
    JCH has obviously had enough at Peterborough and wants out. Hopefully he is hungry and angry. On his day he's one of the best CFs in the league and can absolutely play the lone role. On the flip side, clearly he's downed tools a bit there.

If JCH wants to go to big school then why would he come to the infants even if cafc paid the dosh and the wages ?
  • edited December 2023
    Full text of below tweet:

“Further confirmation of this story below.

As reported by @PTAlanSwann, Barry Fry has confirmed Bristol Rovers are no longer interested in JCH...

“I’ve spoken to the Bristol Rovers owner and he said Joey Barton was the man behind trying to sign Clarke-Harris. The new manager is not interested so they won’t be coming back for him.

"But two other League One clubs are interested so hopefully Jonno will get the move he deserves. He’s been brilliant for us.” #UTG”

• Not sure I’d want JCH. Wrong age, no resale value, on his way down. Think we can do better.
    Agree, if it doesn’t work out we’re stuck with him on a big contract. All signings are a risk but at least a younger player still has something to prove and should be aiming to improve.